Author Topic: All Poster Stuff  (Read 281629 times)

Mirosae

Re: All Poster Stuff
« Reply #550 on: April 03, 2015, 04:33:53 AM »
That's very interesting reading, thanks Tait! I didn't know about the Tod's email..and HA never sent me the goodies in advance..you clearly are VIP  :)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #551 on: April 20, 2015, 06:31:35 PM »
Yesterday in the LA Times.

T
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 06:32:14 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #552 on: April 20, 2015, 10:42:55 PM »
Yesterday in the LA Times.

T

T... u gotta scour the site..lol

As "reported" yesterday, by some APF lunatic:  imbecile.gif

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9521.0.html

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #553 on: April 20, 2015, 10:45:42 PM »
My version is better.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #554 on: April 20, 2015, 10:48:10 PM »
Indeed.

It must be the banner.

qip

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #555 on: April 27, 2015, 07:01:16 AM »
My father was a photography instructor at a tech college.  He bought a 16mm sound projector at a school surplus sale and he and I repaired it.  At that time (mid-late 60s), you could check out 16mm films from the public library, so we had a showing every weekend.

That must have been a great experience Jayn. Have you kept any of those 16mm films?

I have a 8mm, it was totally crushed, but we managed to fix it this Easter (well, my father did). Unfortunately we couldnt find any 8mm proper films, only a tin with a 5mn Tom & Jerry cartoon that it was left in a cupboard at our home since the Middle Ages.   girly2.gif

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #556 on: May 03, 2015, 08:02:26 PM »
An interesting write up about the 1914 Melies film, A Trip to the Moon (as presented by Matt Shapiro aka mrs.miniver) along with the rare US OS poster he has offered for sale (for years)  ;) :

"Here is truly one the earliest - if not the earliest - most imaginative pieces of science fiction poster artwork ever discovered: an original 1914 one-sheet for “A Trip to the Moon.” This amazing artifact has an unusual history, which represents the best in early cinema, science fiction, and motion picture animation:

There are very few things in life that garner unanimous consent; man’s liking of the moon is undoubtedly one of them. In 1865, Jules Verne tapped into this phenomenon of human interest with his groundbreaking novel, “From Earth to the Moon,” which is often cited as being seminal in establishing and popularizing science fiction as a literary genre. Thirty-seven years later, in 1902, another Frenchman, Georges Méliès, applied the same premise to motion pictures with his historic film, “A Trip to the Moon.” The film became a motion picture sensation, securing its place in history as being the first movie title to achieve worldwide fame.

Méliès was not the only first-generation filmmaker to cash in on his film’s popularity; Thomas Edison, Sigmond Lubin (sometimes spelled Siegmund), and a host of other motion picture players at the time, were cited for illegally duplicating and distributing “A Trip to the Moon” throughout the Americas. Georges Méliès promptly responded by sending his brother here to the United States to stop the pirating of his hit creation. The Méliès brothers subsequently prevailed in the US courts – many of the copyright laws that still stand today were implemented because of that initial effort. Nevertheless, they were unsuccessful in actually stopping the movie from being illegally distributed. Additionally, Sigmund Lubin, of the Lubin films credited on this poster, decided that he wasn’t going to be stopped in exploiting the popularity of the widely familiar title. He figured out an innovative way of doing it without paying Méliès any royalties.

Lubin, from the very earliest days of film, was an innovator and pioneer in the medium. He’s credited with manufacturing and selling the first motion picture projector ever offered for sale, and so, continuing with that pioneer spirit, he rendered one of the earliest FULLY animated films ever produced, an American version of “A Trip to the Moon.” Animated films were extraordinarily unusual for the time. The production is so early in the history of motion picture animation that it was released to the public the same year as - six months prior to - the cinematic release of Windsor McCay’s “Gertie the Dinosaur” – which is often (incorrectly) sighted as the beginning of movie animation – making this the earliest movie poster to ever surface representing a significant title in animation.

Besides the purposeful and obvious intent of creating confusion with the popular Méliès’ film, this poster’s artwork and graphic design is notable for being unusual for several other important reasons. Few films back in 1914 carried any unique elements. There were no movie stars or well-known feature films. Charlie Chaplin and “A Birth of a Nation” had not yet come on the scene, and so few film posters expended much attention or space towards highlighting the name of the movie as a headline attraction. Happily, this poster is a rare exception, resulting in an emboldened definition and refined clarity in the title treatment that’s decades ahead of its time. Yet, the artwork of the moon itself is rendered in a style patterned after 19th Century classic illustration design. These contrasting sensibilities add wonderfully to yet, perhaps, the most unusual element featured on this early 1910’s poster - futuristic outer space travel. Worldwide, there are no posters know to exist on the Méliès version of “A Trip to the Moon,” and, it’s highly unlikely that there were any ever made for it. Almost all the known surviving examples of film posters produced during that earliest period in motion picture history (when Méliès produced his film) advertise the new and novel medium of film itself, showing nothing but a projector and/or an audience viewing a generic projection. And so, finding any early turn of the century film poster with any specific imagery from a movie (especially depicting space travel) would be an extraordinary event. Science fiction was in its infancy when this poster was printed, making this one of the finest and earliest representations ever discovered.

Lubin spared no expense in producing this poster. The fine stone lithograph has unusual elements seldom seen on any poster, printed in any era! The white color within all the artwork is printed white, meaning it’s actual white ink printed on top of the other colors. It’s NOT the white of the paper. This extra technique in the printing process creates a dimensional effect, which helps to give the poster a true surreal presence, adding nicely to the many otherworldly elements shown on this charming antique treasure. The A.B.C. Co. in Cleveland Ohio is credited with making the poster, which was printed by the Otis Litho. Co."

« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 01:02:49 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #557 on: May 04, 2015, 01:13:22 AM »
Thanks for sharing Jeff. Doesn't he own another version for trip to the moon or is that the one he won't show the whole picture of?

For the white on color part, I have seen quite a few and even own some that are printed that way from the mid teens onward so though I doubt it was extremely common it was seen. The most common places I have seen it though are in travel, military and advertising posters, Buffalo Bill comes to mind, from the early teens. Most notably I have seen it on a number of the posters for my favorite Christy one of which shown below has all colors applied to a solid color background paper. Some of our other collectors who specialize in the early silent stuff may know better, I know I am interested in learning more.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 01:14:57 AM by Undead »
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #558 on: May 04, 2015, 01:25:51 AM »
Mike,

I'm quite certain this is the same poster, that, for years, he would only have a much smaller thumbnail of on his ebay auctions. I can't imagine that there are many copies of this poster floating around today.  ;)

I'm just glad that he finally decided to use a much larger image.   happy1

« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 03:25:35 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #559 on: May 04, 2015, 08:33:15 AM »

Most notably I have seen it on a number of the posters for my favorite Christy one of which shown below has all colors applied to a solid color background paper. Some of our other collectors who specialize in the early silent stuff may know better, I know I am interested in learning more.
any excuse to post images of that awesome poster eh, eh...  ;)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #560 on: May 04, 2015, 12:16:36 PM »
 ;D It is one of my favorites. Actually the white printing for the highlights is one of the reasons I like it so much.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #561 on: May 04, 2015, 12:26:48 PM »
"Tis a beauty, of that there is no doubt, Mike.  clap

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #562 on: May 04, 2015, 02:41:31 PM »
And an exceptional restoration work Mike. Always a treat seeing your Christy posters.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #563 on: May 04, 2015, 11:40:22 PM »

I'll repost this every time I see it.
 cheers

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #564 on: May 18, 2015, 06:44:45 PM »
My Personal Collection

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #565 on: May 18, 2015, 08:40:28 PM »
Saw this on FB

http://www.ifc.com/fix/2015/05/epic-collection-of-forgotten-movie-posters

I've found better stuff for under $5... but I still enjoy poster cheese...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #566 on: May 18, 2015, 11:15:45 PM »
He should just monitor Bruce's bulk lots - lots of crapola for less than $5 per
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #567 on: May 22, 2015, 10:54:34 PM »
He should just monitor Bruce's bulk lots - lots of crapola for less than $5 per

I always wondered who  buys those bulk lots or indeed if they are even worth a £1.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #568 on: May 23, 2015, 12:01:12 AM »
I always wondered who  buys those bulk lots or indeed if they are even worth a £1.

Usually dealers I imagine...
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #569 on: May 23, 2015, 03:34:53 AM »
Usually dealers I imagine...

And the paper alone is worth more than that, right, Chris?  prayer.gif

-Jeff

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #570 on: May 23, 2015, 02:52:03 PM »
I've bought one or two just to use the blank areas for paper fills.  ;D
Just bleach the bitch!

Mirosae

« Reply #571 on: May 23, 2015, 03:39:01 PM »
Yes...as soon  as I asked it I thought that. Very convenient for newbie restorers learning how to do the job.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #572 on: June 10, 2015, 04:54:20 PM »
Original concept art for the finale of King Kong (and the basis of some of the poster campaign, too)

« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 04:55:48 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #573 on: June 10, 2015, 10:55:12 PM »
Nice find Jeff
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #574 on: June 26, 2015, 01:01:31 PM »
As posted to MOPO by Dave of Posteropolis.

A Good and interesting tumblr.  thumbsup.gif

Graphic designers Brandon Schaefer and Sam Smith are The Poster Boys. Their tumblr includes podcasts, images and links to interesting articles about poster design.

http://theposterboys.tumblr.com/

-Jeff