Author Topic: All Poster Stuff  (Read 281629 times)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: All Poster Stuff
« Reply #300 on: March 16, 2013, 09:21:34 PM »
Who could say no to this?

There is no question in the email or request for the poster???

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #301 on: March 17, 2013, 01:41:58 PM »
She insists that Monkees fans will want it and that I should auction it, so since it's been sitting around for three years and I'm never likely to hang it, I put it up for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140935408301

I'd be surprised if it gets much attention, but who knows?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 01:43:42 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #302 on: March 17, 2013, 06:08:19 PM »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #303 on: March 17, 2013, 06:42:33 PM »
I like the bonus book thrown in.

?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #304 on: March 17, 2013, 09:27:02 PM »
I like the bonus book thrown in.

My plan to convey size was a big fail....

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #305 on: March 17, 2013, 10:36:24 PM »
My plan to convey size was a big fail....

laugh1 laugh1 laugh1
Awesome.
Witty signature goes here.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #306 on: March 17, 2013, 11:45:27 PM »
She insists that Monkees fans will want it and that I should auction it, so since it's been sitting around for three years and I'm never likely to hang it, I put it up for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140935408301

I'd be surprised if it gets much attention, but who knows?

2 bids already - Oh, what can it mean, To a daydream believer?
Chris

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #307 on: March 17, 2013, 11:50:18 PM »
2 bids already - Oh, what can it mean, To a daydream believer?

Good question, perhaps it will be a Pleasant Valley Sunday when they win it?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 11:51:31 PM by Silhouette »
David

Bruce

« Reply #308 on: March 18, 2013, 08:03:17 AM »
Great marketing, Mel. The past three times we sold this, it went for $26, $12 and $7 (maybe you got one of those latter two). You should keep picking these up and flipping them!

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/RINGS%2520AROUND%2520THE%2520WORLD/type/6sh/archive.html

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #309 on: March 18, 2013, 10:42:57 AM »
Probably fewer than 10 of these still exist, maybe fewer than 5.

Objection your honor... hearsay! 

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #310 on: March 18, 2013, 11:45:15 AM »
Making a long story short, this woman writes me, I told her I don't sell, she says she wants it for her daughter who treats disabled children, I tell her for that reason alone I'll sell it to her for $25 (my cost from Emovie), she says I'm selling it too cheap, I say I don't care, and she insists that I sell it for its "true" value. Finally, I agree to auction it and she can bid for it if she wants (and those are her bids so far).  

In the end, it's way too much hassle to sell, which I why I usually just consign to Emovie and let them deal with it.

So let's just call this my experiment in marketing.  Given that this is an obscure documentary from 1966, I'm sure relatively few six sheets survive and 5-10 is my best guess.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 11:49:50 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Bruce

« Reply #311 on: March 18, 2013, 01:40:33 PM »
Since we alone auctioned five of them, mightn't you bump that estimate up a wee bit?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #312 on: March 18, 2013, 08:46:29 PM »
I still think 10 is about right but to avoid karmic retribution I'm giving all the proceeds to charity (through the Ebay Giving Works).   

But here's a video you number obsessors may enjoy:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/557PnwV2PlQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/557PnwV2PlQ</a>

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #313 on: March 19, 2013, 08:36:06 PM »

Offline movieposters

• Hobbyist
« Reply #314 on: March 28, 2013, 08:08:28 PM »

Here's a poster 'condition' question that has been confusing me for sometime - would love to get your responses...

What exactly does FINE/VERY FINE represent when auction sites state this condition?

You see this often, especially from HA.   Early on I always thought this reflected a pre-restoration/post restoration condition OR if it were a lobby set, the cards as a set were somewhere between fine to very fine condition.

Lately this is listed on many unrestored posters.   Strange because other posters are more specific, VF- or F+ grouped with the F/VF listings.   

So - what does a unrestored poster listed as F/VF actually represent?

Stephen Ryan

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #315 on: March 28, 2013, 08:12:36 PM »
Good question.
It varies from site to site.
One man's VF is another man's VG.
I have found that the only way to determine condition is to ask lots of questions if they don't provide large scans.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #316 on: March 28, 2013, 08:13:29 PM »
Here's a poster 'condition' question that has been confusing me for sometime - would love to get your responses...

What exactly does FINE/VERY FINE represent when auction sites state this condition?

You see this often, especially from HA.   Early on I always thought this reflected a pre-restoration/post restoration condition OR if it were a lobby set, the cards as a set were somewhere between fine to very fine condition.

Lately this is listed on many unrestored posters.   Strange because other posters are more specific, VF- or F+ grouped with the F/VF listings.    

So - what does a unrestored poster listed as F/VF actually represent?

Grading is a difficult question.
My C5 is your mint..it`s tough to answer

stew
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 08:23:26 PM by stewart boyle »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #317 on: March 28, 2013, 09:55:16 PM »

It varies from site to site.
One man's VF is another man's VG.

This - you really gotta almost develop your own rating system.

Some even prefer more 'loved' posters!
Chris

Bruce

« Reply #318 on: March 28, 2013, 10:20:16 PM »
We never have even one bidder who has any problem with our grading system. It is clear and easy to understand, and we don't cheat.

Once in a blue moon a consignor will send an email that says, "Did you have to run down MY item THAT MUCH?"

I always reply, "Was what I wrote honest?" and they say, "Well, yes, but...".

Offline movieposters

• Hobbyist
« Reply #319 on: March 29, 2013, 10:07:17 AM »
Think I missed the mark with attempting to get feedback on this question -

Trying to determine why we see the specific condition of 'FN/VF' when dealers are also using more specific conditions such as F+, VF-, or NM-.

In other words, why would a poster condition be stated as a 'range' that was never restored?  I could see using this rating range if a poster was FN prior to restoration and now displays as VF.

Maybe overlooking the obvious?

Stephen Ryan

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #320 on: March 29, 2013, 10:34:58 AM »
Think I missed the mark with attempting to get feedback on this question -

Trying to determine why we see the specific condition of 'FN/VF' when dealers are also using more specific conditions such as F+, VF-, or NM-.

In other words, why would a poster condition be stated as a 'range' that was never restored?  I could see using this rating range if a poster was FN prior to restoration and now displays as VF.

Maybe overlooking the obvious?

It's basically because no two posters are in exactly the same condition.  Each has its own defects that are captured under whatever criteria a seller has used to define FN or VF (etc) and then that causes an overlap.  So one poster might have a pin hole and the other a very small fold tear - both could fall within FN and VF depending on the condition of the rest of the poster.  So a range must be used.  Bruce generally uses a spread as well like Good to Very Good etc...  Heritage's condition description are generally more 'catchalls' vs. other rating systems.

Anyways that's how I sees it.
Chris

Bruce

« Reply #321 on: March 29, 2013, 01:42:49 PM »
I assume it goes "Fn" then "Fn+", then "Fn/VF", then "VF-", then "VF", etc, but who knows?

For us there is (summing up longer definitions):

Poor: terrible condition
Fair: pretty bad
Good: significant defects, but possibly displayable as is (depending how lenient you are) and certainly restorable
Very Good: some defects, but most collectors would happily display it as it
Fine: Really wonderful, virtually no defects
Mint: Doesn't exist (unless there really is a place where posters are "minted" like coins)

No pluses or minuses, but "in-betweens" of every grade, so "good to very good" is somewhere between the above two definitions

THIS HAS WORKED INCREDIBLY WELL FOR US FOR DECADES, AND FOR OVER ONE MILLION ITEMS!

Now here is the only controversial part:
We use a "sliding scale" depending on year and poster type.

If ALL items were graded on the exact same scale, then 99% of "newer" rolled posters would be "fine" and 99% of 1910s and 1920s posters would be "fair".

So we adjust the grading scale based on how an item compares to others of the same size and from the same decade.

THIS TOO HAS WORKED INCREDIBLY WELL FOR US FOR DECADES, AND FOR OVER ONE MILLION ITEMS!

It is only controversial because some people have a philosophical argument with it!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #322 on: March 29, 2013, 05:32:32 PM »
I use a number scale, but it also comes with a legend describing what defects you may find when I use C-6, C-8 and the like

C-8 essentially means I view the poster as in 80% of it's newly printed & unused condition.
everyone who buys knows I don't grade C-10, however that isn't because I don't sell posters that I see absolutely no defects at all - it's because if I call it C-9 and you think it's better - that's a win for me.

the most common grades are C-5/6 to C-8
this is because most everything has been handled a few times (C-8) or handled alot (C-5/6)

Grading is however the most subjective of all aspects in collecting and it is rare that 2 people grade alike.
The fact that Bruce might call something VG to Fine that looks near perfect and I may use C-8/9 does cause confusion with newbies, but once you have bought from either of us, you quickly understand our grade categorization.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #323 on: March 29, 2013, 05:33:39 PM »
of course,  if we didn't have any grade noted in our description, our photos can do all the talking except for rearside defects

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #324 on: March 29, 2013, 05:37:09 PM »
I assume it goes "Fn" then "Fn+", then "Fn/VF", then "VF-", then "VF", etc, but who knows?

For us there is (summing up longer definitions):

Poor: terrible condition
Fair: pretty bad
Good: significant defects, but possibly displayable as is (depending how lenient you are) and certainly restorable
Very Good: some defects, but most collectors would happily display it as it
Fine: Really wonderful, virtually no defects
Mint: Doesn't exist (unless there really is a place where posters are "minted" like coins)

No pluses or minuses, but "in-betweens" of every grade, so "good to very good" is somewhere between the above two definitions

THIS HAS WORKED INCREDIBLY WELL FOR US FOR DECADES, AND FOR OVER ONE MILLION ITEMS!

Now here is the only controversial part:
We use a "sliding scale" depending on year and poster type.

If ALL items were graded on the exact same scale, then 99% of "newer" rolled posters would be "fine" and 99% of 1910s and 1920s posters would be "fair".

So we adjust the grading scale based on how an item compares to others of the same size and from the same decade.

THIS TOO HAS WORKED INCREDIBLY WELL FOR US FOR DECADES, AND FOR OVER ONE MILLION ITEMS!

It is only controversial because some people have a philosophical argument with it!

Thanks for the detailed description, Bruce.  thumbup

cheers

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 05:45:18 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff