Author Topic: All Poster Stuff  (Read 281667 times)

Mirosae

Re: All Poster Stuff
« Reply #275 on: February 27, 2013, 09:01:05 PM »
Meditations: Rise and Fall of a movie poster collector

There is always that one poster that just cannot afford,

The one you can afford but you will never buy

The one you buy  though you cannot afford,

and the one you just cannot find....

That's the one that got away.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #276 on: February 28, 2013, 05:25:04 AM »
 cheers

Mirosae

« Reply #277 on: February 28, 2013, 04:00:06 PM »
An article on BILL GOLD which I found very interesting. Others might want to read it too.
APOS IF THIS HAS AREADY BEEN POSTED ELSEWHERE (THO I POSTED THIS IN THE BOOKS THREAD).

Seven Questions for Bill Gold, Master of the Movie Poster
By Stephanie Murg on February 25, 2013 6:20 AM

If the Academy doled out little golden men in the category of Best Movie Poster, Bill Gold would have hundreds. The legendary graphic designer (and Pratt Institute alum), who turned 92 last month, created posters for films ranging from Yankee Doodle Dandy (1941) to J. Edgar (2011), which he came out of retirement to design at the request of his old friend Clint Eastwood. The posters for Casablanca, A Clockwork Orange, Alien, The Exorcist? All pure Gold. He recently did his part to celebrate the achievements of another notable nonagenarian: Warner Bros. As part of a 90th anniversary celebration that will span all of 2013, the studio invited Gold to create a poster of posters. You can find it, along with art cards featuring his movie poster designs, in two new megacollections of Warner Bros. films: 100 films on DVD and 50 films on Blu-ray. Gold recently made time between Oscar screeners (he’s a member of the Academy and has watched some sixty films since November) to discuss posters past and present, and some highlights of his seven-decade career.

1. One of your first assignments at Warner Bros. was designing the poster for Casablanca. How did you approach this project, and what did you seek to create/convey with the poster?
I approached this project like I would any other. I was a young art director that was given an assignment. This was one of my first posters. My initial thoughts were to put together a montage showing all the characters depicted in the film. They appeared to be an interesting ensemble of notable characters.

Something was missing, however. And I was asked to add some more ‘excitement’ to the scene. I added the gun in Bogart’s hand, and the poster suddenly came alive with intrigue.

2. If you had to choose a poster of which you are most proud, what would it be?
The Unforgiven teaser poster. Because of the simplicity of the. The setting was appropriately dark, and the image of the gun more than provocative. It wasn’t the typical image that you’d see on a poster.

3. Of the more than 2,000 posters you’ve worked on, which one would you describe as the most challenging to design?
Bird was one of the most challenging posters I worked on–mainly because I was told not to depict it as a “jazz” movie, but rather to emphasize the more human aspects of the life of a musician. The studio was trying to promote the film as more of a ‘family’ movie. So I worked on several comps of Charlie Parker and his wife, along with his kids. But I still felt the story was primarily about this wonderful jazz musician; so I did one comp of him alone playing his sax and we dramatized how he played his whole life in a very dramatic way. As soon as Clint [Eastwood] saw it, he said, “That’s the one!” It went on to win several awards, and is also one of my favorites.

4. What do you think are the ingredients of a successful/memorable movie poster?
The objective is to “sell” the film, to entice an audience to see it through a revealing and striking image and typography. To provoke an interest in the “story” of the film is what I am able to do best.

5. What was the last movie poster (excluding those designed by yourself) you saw that you loved?
There have been several, but the majority of today’s posters seem to have an unexciting design. They just plop a head on top of another and do lots of Photoshop. I’m not fond of that. That’s not the Bill Gold look.

6. What has been your best or most memorable professional encounter?
Working and getting to know Clint Eastwood. Clint and I have become very good friends over the years. I have the highest regard for him. Professionally, he is as good as it gets. He appreciates everything I have done for him, and has wonderful taste and a remarkable eye for art. Of course, there have been a couple of times when he has asked me to “go back to the drawing board” and investigate another direction. But this is part of the working process, and most of the time we are both on the same page.

7. What has been your proudest design moment?
My most recent assignment. I was asked by Warner Home Video to design a poster for WB’s 90th anniversary. All they asked was for me to design a poster with 100 of the designs I created for Warners over the past seven decades! What a dream assignment. It wasn’t easy to pick only 100, but I did and I’m very, very proud of the poster.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #278 on: February 28, 2013, 04:09:25 PM »
the only problem I have with Bill Gold's historical perspective is that he always paints himself as the "hero" and I doubt that is the truth. For instance, on the Casablanca poster (paraphrased) "the poster sucked until 'I' added the gun". It's as if the art by anyone else is unimportant and only Bill's contribution made a difference. If I was his collaborator, I'd be pretty pissed off.

this is not to take away from Bill's contributions, but at that point in his career he was a collaborator and later he became a director, but even as an art director or head of a design studio, the finished product is a collaboration.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 04:27:13 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #279 on: February 28, 2013, 04:13:02 PM »
An article on BILL GOLD which I found very interesting. Others might want to read it too.
APOS IF THIS HAS AREADY BEEN POSTED ELSEWHERE (THO I POSTED THIS IN THE BOOKS THREAD).

Seven Questions for Bill Gold, Master of the Movie Poster
By Stephanie Murg on February 25, 2013 6:20 AM

If the Academy doled out little golden men in the category of Best Movie Poster, Bill Gold would have hundreds. The legendary graphic designer (and Pratt Institute alum), who turned 92 last month, created posters for films ranging from Yankee Doodle Dandy (1941) to J. Edgar (2011), which he came out of retirement to design at the request of his old friend Clint Eastwood. The posters for Casablanca, A Clockwork Orange, Alien, The Exorcist? All pure Gold. He recently did his part to celebrate the achievements of another notable nonagenarian: Warner Bros. As part of a 90th anniversary celebration that will span all of 2013, the studio invited Gold to create a poster of posters. You can find it, along with art cards featuring his movie poster designs, in two new megacollections of Warner Bros. films: 100 films on DVD and 50 films on Blu-ray. Gold recently made time between Oscar screeners (he’s a member of the Academy and has watched some sixty films since November) to discuss posters past and present, and some highlights of his seven-decade career.

1. One of your first assignments at Warner Bros. was designing the poster for Casablanca. How did you approach this project, and what did you seek to create/convey with the poster?
I approached this project like I would any other. I was a young art director that was given an assignment. This was one of my first posters. My initial thoughts were to put together a montage showing all the characters depicted in the film. They appeared to be an interesting ensemble of notable characters.

Something was missing, however. And I was asked to add some more ‘excitement’ to the scene. I added the gun in Bogart’s hand, and the poster suddenly came alive with intrigue.

2. If you had to choose a poster of which you are most proud, what would it be?
The Unforgiven teaser poster. Because of the simplicity of the. The setting was appropriately dark, and the image of the gun more than provocative. It wasn’t the typical image that you’d see on a poster.

3. Of the more than 2,000 posters you’ve worked on, which one would you describe as the most challenging to design?
Bird was one of the most challenging posters I worked on–mainly because I was told not to depict it as a “jazz” movie, but rather to emphasize the more human aspects of the life of a musician. The studio was trying to promote the film as more of a ‘family’ movie. So I worked on several comps of Charlie Parker and his wife, along with his kids. But I still felt the story was primarily about this wonderful jazz musician; so I did one comp of him alone playing his sax and we dramatized how he played his whole life in a very dramatic way. As soon as Clint [Eastwood] saw it, he said, “That’s the one!” It went on to win several awards, and is also one of my favorites.

4. What do you think are the ingredients of a successful/memorable movie poster?
The objective is to “sell” the film, to entice an audience to see it through a revealing and striking image and typography. To provoke an interest in the “story” of the film is what I am able to do best.

5. What was the last movie poster (excluding those designed by yourself) you saw that you loved?
There have been several, but the majority of today’s posters seem to have an unexciting design. They just plop a head on top of another and do lots of Photoshop. I’m not fond of that. That’s not the Bill Gold look.

6. What has been your best or most memorable professional encounter?
Working and getting to know Clint Eastwood. Clint and I have become very good friends over the years. I have the highest regard for him. Professionally, he is as good as it gets. He appreciates everything I have done for him, and has wonderful taste and a remarkable eye for art. Of course, there have been a couple of times when he has asked me to “go back to the drawing board” and investigate another direction. But this is part of the working process, and most of the time we are both on the same page.

7. What has been your proudest design moment?
My most recent assignment. I was asked by Warner Home Video to design a poster for WB’s 90th anniversary. All they asked was for me to design a poster with 100 of the designs I created for Warners over the past seven decades! What a dream assignment. It wasn’t easy to pick only 100, but I did and I’m very, very proud of the poster.

Great article, Rosa.  thumbup

Thanks for posting. It's always great, too, to read interviews from the actual artist on what his/her thoughts were and what went into a particular design.

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #280 on: February 28, 2013, 05:37:55 PM »
Thanks ;D

Yes, Gold can be a bit funny, but I would be too if I had his career. He has done nearly everything and everyone! ;)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #281 on: February 28, 2013, 05:39:53 PM »
Thanks ;D

Yes, Gold can be a bit funny, but I would be too if I had his career. He has done nearly everything and everyone! ;)

Do tell.   ;D

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #282 on: February 28, 2013, 09:52:47 PM »
There have been several, but the majority of today’s posters seem to have an unexciting design. They just plop a head on top of another and do lots of Photoshop.

Understatement of the year
Chris

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #283 on: February 28, 2013, 10:06:04 PM »
No idea what you're talking about.  ;)

Witty signature goes here.

Charlie

« Reply #284 on: February 28, 2013, 11:00:36 PM »
It's funny because that is exactly what his Casablanca 6-sheet is...

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #285 on: February 28, 2013, 11:16:32 PM »
Hah! Awesome.
Posted again, just for reference.

Uncanny!  laugh1
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:17:19 PM by pratschm »
Witty signature goes here.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #286 on: February 28, 2013, 11:37:20 PM »

more or less every poster on the title are a standard design

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #287 on: March 01, 2013, 02:31:24 PM »

Yes, so do please  leave it to me ;D

Mirosae

« Reply #288 on: March 09, 2013, 07:34:42 AM »
International Women's Day
Today is International Women’s Day is annually held on March 8 to celebrate women’s achievements throughout history and across nations. It is also known as the United Nations (UN) Day for Women’s Rights and International Peace.

Sex on legs, Birds, bonie palones...and all that art with decapidated women in it...

Outrage (RKO, 1950) directed by a wonderful woman, IDA LUPINO. One Sheet (27" X 41")
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 07:37:38 AM by Mirosae »

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #289 on: March 09, 2013, 07:50:01 AM »
Sex on legs, Birds, bonie palones...

cheers

Mirosae

« Reply #290 on: March 09, 2013, 08:12:07 AM »
Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeve, my dear Steve...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #291 on: March 09, 2013, 09:38:55 AM »
Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeve, my dear Steve...

Steve is stuck in an infinite reincarnation loop!
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #292 on: March 09, 2013, 11:44:51 AM »
he is indeed.... that will teach him some.. ;)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #293 on: March 09, 2013, 09:40:59 PM »
he is indeed.... that will teach him some.. ;)

I wonder if this means he will continue to outbid me on daybills in perpetuity?
Chris

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #294 on: March 10, 2013, 03:35:24 AM »
I wonder if this means he will continue to outbid me on daybills in perpetuity?

You mightn't know it yet Chris, but you've already bought your last fugly daybill! Bring on Thursday!...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #295 on: March 10, 2013, 12:21:59 PM »
You mightn't know it yet Chris, but you've already bought your last fugly daybill! Bring on Thursday!...

You're right - I only buy the beautiful daybills  :-*
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #296 on: March 16, 2013, 08:05:13 PM »
Do we have a "posters shown in films" thread?  

Someone wants to buy a poster from me because it is featured in the Monkees TV Show.

See the "Rings Around The World" six sheet in the upper left:

« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 08:19:33 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #297 on: March 16, 2013, 08:37:33 PM »
Someone wants to buy a poster from me because it is featured in the Monkees TV Show.

See the "Rings Around The World" six sheet in the upper left:

Surely their just monkeying around?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #298 on: March 16, 2013, 08:48:32 PM »
Who could say no to this?

--------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Subject: Re: info please re poster Rings Around the World
To: Mel *****

My daughter is in her 30's.  I'm so proud of her.  She's just the greatest young lady.  She and her husband are medically trained specifically in respite care for disabled children, and have adopted two little boys so far, as well as giving birth to what is of course the cutest little granddaughter in history :) 

She's been a fan of the Monkees for quite a while so I like to look for Monkees-related gifts. (The kids think the Monkees are funny, too, so that's kind of a nice thing, that this is the third generation of fans now.)

Oh, hey, in case you haven't seen this (you probably have, but just in case), here's (via attachment) a jpg of your poster from the Monkees set.  It looks like someone for some reason sliced off some of the bottom of the poster, where the names of the actors etc are printed.

It just occurred to me you might not be aware of the "significance" :) of the poster....

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #299 on: March 16, 2013, 09:12:38 PM »
I say the producers chopped the credits off the 6 sheet,  they cropped the circus names of the top of the 2 circus posters, and looks like the credits are off the poster on right side too.