Author Topic: All Poster Stuff  (Read 281655 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: All Poster Stuff
« Reply #250 on: February 25, 2013, 02:35:58 PM »
I don't want it because it IS deceptive. But not having it allows my competition to deceive consignors, and I can't attack my competition, even for lying.

What to do, what to do?

I fail to see how any company adding BP to hammer prices is deceptive if said BP costs are clearly stated on any auctioneer's website.
If BP is not stated, or is stated incorrectly, that would be deceptive.
if it is stated clearly, but someone doesn't take the time to understand what that means, the only deception is the person who's deceiving himself that he is smart even though he can't understand the BP.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #251 on: February 25, 2013, 04:14:07 PM »
I fail to see how any company adding BP to hammer prices is deceptive if said BP costs are clearly stated on any auctioneer's website.
If BP is not stated, or is stated incorrectly, that would be deceptive.
if it is stated clearly, but someone doesn't take the time to understand what that means, the only deception is the person who's deceiving himself that he is smart even though he can't understand the BP.

Rich, maybe you can make the Heritage buyer's premium vs. emvoie's rates more clear by writing the description in Belgian.  :P

• Post-aholic
« Reply #252 on: February 25, 2013, 04:53:04 PM »
Rich, maybe you can make the Heritage buyer's premium vs. emvoie's rates more clear by writing the description in Belgian.  :P

I tried that and 47 other languages also. I put in small print, so maybe you computer was old and you couldn't see it.

:P

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #253 on: February 25, 2013, 05:57:08 PM »

I put in small print, so maybe you computer was old and you couldn't see it.

I hate it when that happens.

rofl1

Bruce

« Reply #254 on: February 25, 2013, 06:35:38 PM »
Allow them to make the mistake of consigning elsewhere and assure them that you will gladly consign for them the next time, after they realize that the numbers don't lie.

Around half of the new consignors call me up after they are paid for the first time and say "I SO wish I had found you first". I used to ask what they meant, but I got where I couldn't stand to listen to the same sad stories over and over.

guest4208

« Reply #255 on: February 26, 2013, 01:14:56 AM »
all this craptalk about fees and BP ignores a very pertinent issue regarding sales points:
the issue that all things are not equal.

it is rare that both of the big houses sell material for the same price. So all things are not equal.
for instance, we do not know, nor can we know in absence of the sale of a Casablanca insert on eMovie whether they could match the $191,000 sale that Heritage had in November.

Not too long before Heritage sold that poster, a copy at the Cinevent auction only sold in the 20s.
by the math alone, Heritage is King Kong on the price result. They're offering a 6 sheet now.. what will that get?

It's true that there are lots of other factors to consider when consigning material for auction apart from a BP. All you can do is hope that your poster will do well but it is a lottery. With Heritage you can set a reserve but there is no guarantee that the item will sell. If it doesnt sell then you have the added cost of getting it returned to you (which can be significant for international consignors). Some auction houses make you use a third party for return shipping and that can cost a small fortune so you have to factor in what might happen if your poster doesnt sell.

The fact is that is unlikely that anyone, including Heritage, is going to replicate that result with the Casablanca insert. I think all of the major auction houses get the occasional exceptional result but if someone with a US insert for Casablanca thinks that they are going to get $191,000 for it next time it goes to auction they are probably dreaming.

That's one of the drawbacks of consigning posters for auction, irrespective of who you consign them to, particularly with mid value items. Sometimes you can get a great result but many other times you can be disappointed.

A collector here in Australia has a few posters that are in the $5000-10,000 range and he considered consigning them to one of the major auctions. However, by the time he factored in the cost of getting them to the US or England with insurance, etc and took into account the low US dollar plus the fact that there was no certainty that they would get the result he wanted, he just decided that he was better off trying to sell them on eBay.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #256 on: February 26, 2013, 05:28:58 AM »
.....if someone with a US insert for Casablanca thinks that they are going to get $191,000 for it next time it goes to auction they are probably dreaming.

I'd say the odds are in favor of this being correct. That said, there is always the mathematical possibility that anything can happen on any particular day

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #257 on: February 26, 2013, 06:24:07 AM »
I'd pay twice that if I had the money. It is worth it.

Bruce

« Reply #258 on: February 26, 2013, 06:50:05 AM »
I know two people who want to sell their inserts to the "underbidder", but he can't be located.

If anyone can find that person, they can get a hefty finder's fee.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #259 on: February 26, 2013, 10:14:36 AM »
I know two people who want to sell their inserts to the "underbidder", but he can't be located.

If anyone can find that person, they can get a hefty finder's fee.

While it is possible he/she would still want it - I suspect moreso it was an emotional bidding war and he/she is glad they did not win!
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #260 on: February 26, 2013, 11:22:35 AM »
Maybe , and maybe she's happy she might end up with a "larger" size  now. Who knows.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #261 on: February 26, 2013, 11:23:49 AM »
Maybe , and maybe she's happy she might end up with a "larger" size  now. Who knows.

And maybe she's a a member of this forum ;)
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #262 on: February 26, 2013, 11:28:02 AM »
Ah, I wonder .... ;)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #263 on: February 26, 2013, 01:43:30 PM »
the greatest likelihood about the Casablanca insert is that 2 people with more money than the Federal Reserve and whom are probably only buyers at the "Big Five" auction houses (Heritage, Sotheby's, Christies, Bonhams, Profiles in History). It's a pretty good possibility that one of the bidders is a member of a Royal family, though not the British Royal Family

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #264 on: February 26, 2013, 01:54:48 PM »
the greatest likelihood about the Casablanca insert is that 2 people with more money than the Federal Reserve and whom are probably only buyers at the "Big Five" auction houses (Heritage, Sotheby's, Christies, Bonhams, Profiles in History). It's a pretty good possibility that one of the bidders is a member of a Royal family, though not the British Royal Family

Why not??

Charlie

« Reply #265 on: February 26, 2013, 02:04:28 PM »

• Post-aholic
« Reply #266 on: February 26, 2013, 02:13:48 PM »
Why not??

because I know of some Royals elsewhere who are involved in posters and other film collectibles like dresses and props. They've been spending alot of money, and $191k doesn't even qualify as pocket change to them.

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #267 on: February 26, 2013, 02:48:55 PM »
Well, if you see anyone from the Spanish Royal Family say hello, from me. ;)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #268 on: February 26, 2013, 02:57:21 PM »
Well, if you see anyone from the Spanish Royal Family say hello, from me. ;)

Rosa travels in high circles

;D

-------

Mirosae

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #270 on: February 26, 2013, 03:36:06 PM »
So much we do this they do that, really a waste of time and effort. As people are so dead set on comparing each others businesses at a granular level I suggest your business should contract Steve/50s (because this is right up his alley) and yes that means you have to pay him, and ask him to write code a ready reckoner for your website that a person can enter the price that they think their (consigned) poster would sell for at auction and it returns the NET value of ALL the other auction houses (you want to compare).

You will need to add a rider (*/asterisk) that states that the results are based on the published fees of the auction house(s). Steve will have to write code that allows you to change the rates as they are changed by the sellers.

I suggest you add a title in you main menu (website) called 'Compare Us'...you can work out what to do next. Add another link in all your advertising footers (forums, newsletters etc).

[You're welcome, rather than my usual fee for this consultation I will take a huge cut and take movie posters in lieu. :D]

David

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #271 on: February 26, 2013, 03:45:08 PM »
Today Steve! ;)

Stew

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #272 on: February 26, 2013, 03:48:04 PM »
Ha ha I had thought of doing that yesterday and technically no problem, I just visualised other auction companies saying its not accurate even if it was.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #273 on: February 26, 2013, 03:59:53 PM »
Ha ha I had thought of doing that yesterday and technically no problem, I just visualised other auction companies saying its not accurate even if it was.

Hence the statement published rates.

BTW - I have Bruce's rates in an Excel formula already if it helps
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 04:37:00 PM by Silhouette »
David

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #274 on: February 26, 2013, 04:20:02 PM »
Oh well
http://www.businessinsider.com/movie-poster-for-casablanca-originally-didnt-feature-bogarts-gun-2013-2

Uh, spoiler alert. Geesh. Now what's the point of me watching this movie? They've ruined the ending.
gun1 *runs and hides behind wall as onslaught of objects are hurled* gun2
Witty signature goes here.