Author Topic: All Poster Stuff  (Read 284549 times)

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: All Poster Stuff
« Reply #175 on: February 24, 2013, 12:38:31 AM »
Maybe so, but you clearly did not hold the title "MC Spelling", Mr. Succint.

Haha,

Ok, Bruce was succint. I knew it wouldn't be possible to mention the words Bruce. and succinct in the same sentence.  ;)

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 12:39:31 AM by 50s »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #176 on: February 24, 2013, 12:38:57 AM »
Maybe so, but you clearly did not hold the title "MC Spelling", Mr. Succint.

You are correct.  In my haste, I forgot the last "c".

In the third grade, every week we had a spelling bee, and I won all except two, because it appeared that the teachers didn't want me to win both those times and spent extra time finding a very difficult word for me to spell (instead of just reading the next one off the list like they did for everyone else).  8)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 12:41:15 AM by NeoLoco »

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #177 on: February 24, 2013, 12:39:18 AM »
You are wrong, David. I have lost at least three quality consignments where the sellers were flat out told that the other place charged lower fees than I do. They believed those lies and "went with the place that charged less", when in actuality, I charge less AT EVERY SINGLE PRICE POINT (as Enki once took the time to write out, and is easily verified).

I guess the answer is for me to start charging buyers premiums, and then lower my commissions so that I charge EXACTLY the same as I do now, but then my competitors would lose the ability to lie in that way.

Bruce, I can't answer for what people say they were told and what people read that is written; I have never doubted nor was I casting any dispersion on you or your business nor did I or have I ever, doubted you are cheaper than most other poster auction houses around. But I stand by my comment regarding 'tricking' people being a business model of other auction houses.
David

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #178 on: February 24, 2013, 12:45:59 AM »
Like I said, I've not bought from any place that has a BP and I've never sold anything, but it seems like everything is based on the hammer price, no?
The seller is charged a fee (eg, 15%) based on the hammer price ($1000 - $150 --> $850).
The buyer is charged a fee (eg, 12%) based on the hammer price ($1000 + $120 --> $1120).
If this is correct, I could see where someone unfamiliar with how it works could get 'burned' the first time, thinking they would get 85% of $1150. But as long as the terms are clear, then it should be fairly straight-forward, I would think.
Witty signature goes here.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #179 on: February 24, 2013, 12:48:38 AM »
Personally, I've never seen it explained as Bruce did above, and the whole idea of a "buyer's premium" seems like a gimmick to me.  It's a lot more straightforward to just state the percent of commission, (and it's also nice to not be charged $14 extra for a $1 item as a buyer, or have to think about the extra amount that one has to pay as a buyer, in addition to the sale price).  8)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #180 on: February 24, 2013, 12:51:52 AM »
When your in America and the price says $x don't you add sales tax on top of it at the register?
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #181 on: February 24, 2013, 12:53:01 AM »
When your in America and the price says $x don't you add sales tax on top of it at the register?

Sometimes.  It depends on where you are.  It can vary to a whole shitload (I have seen 9.5%) to nothing depending on state, county, etc.

And now the greedy dick weed big box stores have forced Amazon to charge whatever sales tax applies to the zip code they are shipping to if they have a distribution center in your state.  Fuckers.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 12:54:34 AM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #182 on: February 24, 2013, 12:55:47 AM »
Yeah, always hated that as a kid. I'd have my $0.99 all ready to go to buy whatever and then it would ring up as more. Bastards.
On the plus side, theaters tend to lump the tax into ticket prices and food items. So when it says $12 for a small popcorn and a coke, I know it's only $12. Only $12. Bastards.
Witty signature goes here.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #183 on: February 24, 2013, 12:56:29 AM »
Thanks, that reminds me, I bought a 6 sheet about 4 weeks ago from HA for $1 (+$14 BP). I paid that and its on hold. My $1 winning bid will end up costing me much more once shipping to Australia is also added.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 12:57:05 AM by 50s »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #184 on: February 24, 2013, 12:59:12 AM »

Good analogy, but I don't think it's entirely accurate, as I would never spend $14 extra on a $1 item...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #185 on: February 24, 2013, 01:03:02 AM »
Good analogy, but I don't think it's entirely accurate, as I would never spend $14 extra on a $1 item...

Point: Neo.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #186 on: February 24, 2013, 01:04:26 AM »

But its not a $1 item, its $1 + $14 = $15.

I dont know much about the USA, but I assume your $20 restaurant meal is not $20, it is $20 + mandatory(?) services tip.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #187 on: February 24, 2013, 01:07:34 AM »
Im probably talking bollocks now, I am sweltering in the afternoon sun here

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #188 on: February 24, 2013, 01:08:22 AM »
Sometimes.  It depends on where you are.  It can vary to a whole shitload (I have seen 9.5%) to nothing depending on state, county, etc.

And now the greedy dick weed big box stores have forced Amazon to charge whatever sales tax applies to the zip code they are shipping to if they have a distribution center in your state.  Fuckers.

So, it shouldn't be a hard thing to grasp when bidding that there's a fixed % above your highest bid.
In Australia we have GST but it has to be included in the price (for items where GST is payable), so no surprises at the till, but when dealing with auctions I can still make my brain so a small mathematical calculation in a second or so.

No, but HA or other isn't a $1 shop, but if you see a $15 item, bid $1 and you come out AOK.
If it's really only worth $1 go somewhere that sells it for $1.

I have never bought from and don't particularly care one way or the other about HA by the way.

Drizzling and cool in Albany, feel like a drive?
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #189 on: February 24, 2013, 01:08:31 AM »
Personally, I've never seen it explained as Bruce did above, and the whole idea of a "buyer's premium" seems like a gimmick to me.  

It's not a gimmick it is a fee, watch any reality auction program on TV and they ALL state either during or at the end that the seller has to pay 'fee'' or the selling price was 'less auction fees etc etc. Personally I don't like it but it's been there forever.

I would hazard a guess and say real-estate auctions are about the only auction industry across the board where the buyer doesn't pay a premium for the privilege of buying their house. That said the seller has been stung every which way but loose.

And yeah Steve it's hot here in Glenhaven, but yes you are talking bollocks...  :P

[Spell-Check Enabled]
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 01:21:51 AM by Silhouette »
David

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #190 on: February 24, 2013, 01:11:14 AM »

I dont know much about the USA, but I assume your $20 restaurant meal is not $20, it is $20 + mandatory(?) services tip.

$20 + Tax which is about 8.5% where I am.  A normal tip is usually 15% for a server that does a good job.  Tipping is never mandatory, but servers basically work for tips so you're kind of a dick if you don't.  So, a $20 meal will come to just under $25.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Matt

« Reply #191 on: February 24, 2013, 01:21:31 AM »

Please, join me in having a beer Steve. It's hot here two to too.  :)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #192 on: February 24, 2013, 01:28:05 AM »

You must not have been given the option of taking the red pill or the blue pill.  8)  It's only a $15 item because you believe that the $14 donation makes it a $15 item.

You're right in one sense, that is, I always tip when I go out to eat (assuming tips are allowed).  However, if I get a $1 cup of coffee, there is no way I'm tipping $14.  Even if I get a $20 meal, I'm sure not going to be tipping $14.  

All I'm saying is, there are more straightforward ways than a buyer's premium.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 01:33:47 AM by NeoLoco »

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #193 on: February 24, 2013, 01:42:29 AM »

When I was in the UK 10 years ago I was buying flights with Ryanair from London to all over Europe for 50c, + (airport?) taxes (~20 Euro). You'd have been missing out on a lot of good deals then if you were over there.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #194 on: February 24, 2013, 01:51:22 AM »
I hear ya, Steve.  It's all relative.  Kinda like the guy who is selling a pretty nice car and puts a "for sale" sticker on it that says:

"THIS CAR IS FREE...with the purchase of a $14,000 air freshener"

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #195 on: February 24, 2013, 02:46:57 AM »
I bought a 6 sheet about 4 weeks ago from HA for $1 (+$14 BP). I paid that and its on hold. My $1 winning bid will end up costing me much more once shipping to Australia is also added.

You should add what your actual high bid was.
I recently won 2 lots at Heritage where I was the only bidder at $1, so the $14 bp made it $30 & then shipping (these were 30x40s) was $11.25 and my full bill was $41.25. By that measure, I sure paid alot!
However, in true fairness, I had to add that my high bids were $46 & $42 which equaled $116 with bp, which means not that these were $1 items that cost me $15 each. Rather it means that I won a $60 lot & a $56 lot for $15 each or a savings of  $86.00. It's a matter of perspective. I won both lots and had them shipped for 75 cents less than my high bid on one of the two lots.

one more thing, the concept that my competitor is a "liar" because they do business a different way than I do is so ridiculous that it doesn't hold up to any common sense argument.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 02:48:07 AM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #196 on: February 24, 2013, 02:49:54 AM »

yep

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #197 on: February 24, 2013, 02:54:11 AM »

one more thing, the concept that my competitor is a "liar" because they do business a different way than I do is so ridiculous that it doesn't hold up to any common sense argument.

Did I say this?  :-\

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #198 on: February 24, 2013, 02:58:08 AM »
I don't think he means you Steve.
An Error Has Occurred!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #199 on: February 24, 2013, 03:08:36 AM »
Steve, you would never intimate such a concept

-------