Author Topic: All Poster Stuff  (Read 281663 times)

Mirosae

Re: All Poster Stuff
« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2013, 03:37:37 PM »
I need to change my google alerts. But maybe THIS is a better ''researched'' one. Not posting any more rubbish here. Promise.

http://www.nextmovie.com/blog/boobalicious-movie-posters/

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2013, 03:55:27 PM »
I need to change my google alerts. But maybe THIS is a better ''researched'' one. Not posting any more rubbish here. Promise.

http://www.nextmovie.com/blog/boobalicious-movie-posters/

It's poppycock!

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #127 on: February 21, 2013, 03:59:09 PM »
It's poppycock!

Such a funny film..Ranks up there with the rest of Blake`s finest.

Stew

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #128 on: February 21, 2013, 04:04:06 PM »
Best condom scene ever...

Mirosae

« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2013, 04:06:32 PM »
Well, well, well. I cannot hear you Mr grumpy complaining.. er well researched then...

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #130 on: February 21, 2013, 09:28:19 PM »
Hooperman, top show.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2013, 10:26:34 AM »
As referenced on MOPO, Wall Street Journal yesterday featured a short article about movie poster collecting:

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #132 on: February 23, 2013, 10:38:29 AM »
"Everyone loves monsters"

And how!
Chris

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #133 on: February 23, 2013, 12:12:08 PM »
Great, now there will be more competition. ;)

I'm curious, what is considered a 'serious collector'? I'm assuming it means you're willing to spend $$$$$.
I guess that's ok. I'll take my Honorable Mention Collector status.
Witty signature goes here.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #134 on: February 23, 2013, 12:53:33 PM »
You can still be a serious collector without the Funds, I know plenty. Money does not make you any more of a collector, and I'd go so far as to say, most of the big money people are there for investment. I''d love to quiz some of those Deluca types to see how much they know about the films. From what I've seen in interviews with these people, quite a few have no idea... 
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2013, 01:00:33 PM »
Many also collect for a love of the artwork, especially that created from the teens-1940s or 50s, when hand drawn and produced lithos were used to advertise a film. There have been many a poster, for some smaller or obscure films from the 1920s or 30's, for example, that I have never heard of, but the poster art and colors rendered can be just outstanding!

Rather than a cut out photo of a floating head or "portrait" shot(s) of actors, the style of which has become so much more prevalent.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 01:10:04 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2013, 01:11:23 PM »
You can still be a serious collector without the Funds, I know plenty. Money does not make you any more of a collector, and I'd go so far as to say, most of the big money people are there for investment. I''d love to quiz some of those Deluca types to see how much they know about the films. From what I've seen in interviews with these people, quite a few have no idea...  

But some collectors (like me and Steve) collect primarily for the artwork and secondarily for the connection to the movie. I consider it an "art collection" or a "really cool advertising" collection. I maybe watch one movie a month and have not watched most of the movies - especially the older and international - for which I have posters.

I think there have to be more than 1,000 "serious" collectors to support the hobby at its current size.  There are 300,000 listed on US Ebay but many many more on US international Ebay sites.  I think Emovie sells $3.5 million a year, so it could be a $25 million a year hobby.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 01:12:25 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2013, 01:20:40 PM »

So true, Paul.

And others collect because they think a certain poster is one "they must or should have" in their collection, in order to qualify it in some ridiculous manner of thinking. People who say that one MUST have a JAWS poster, or a SW poster, in order to "boost" their collection to a status level that is worthy is just plain hogwash, as well.

Sure, if one loves JAWS or SW and those posters, then certainly go for it. But those are not required, especially if one isnt drawn to them.

It is no different than the "serious" people who collect Hepburn, Bogart, Muni, Spielberg or Tarantino, to name just a few. They collect what they love and what appeals to them visually. That is what this hobby should be all about. (Investors excluded, of course).  ;)

-Jeff

Bruce

« Reply #138 on: February 23, 2013, 01:45:42 PM »

That may be true of some, but Ralph DeLuca is a good friend and he knows more about movies than 99% of all collectors. In addition to the great stuff, he also buys a ton of obscure stuff that is historically important that may never go up in value. I recently helped him get the earliest known Al Jolson poster, and he seemed more excited by that than his million dollar deal!

Don't paint all people with a broad brush.

Bruce

« Reply #139 on: February 23, 2013, 01:49:03 PM »
But some collectors (like me and Steve) collect primarily for the artwork and secondarily for the connection to the movie. I consider it an "art collection" or a "really cool advertising" collection. I maybe watch one movie a month and have not watched most of the movies - especially the older and international - for which I have posters.

I think there have to be more than 1,000 "serious" collectors to support the hobby at its current size.  There are 300,000 listed on US Ebay but many many more on US international Ebay sites.  I think Emovie sells $3.5 million a year, so it could be a $25 million a year hobby.

We topped four million dollars for the first time in 2012, and of course all of our sales are real sales.

We have sold to 34,000 different collectors, but as of now we have just under 8,000 active collectors (ones who have purchased from us in the past year). That means 8,000 people purchased the 115,000 items we auctioned last year, and I would bet we have a high percentage of all active collectors, so I would put the actual number at around 10,000 to 15,000.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #140 on: February 23, 2013, 02:08:17 PM »
Well, It's good to know Ralph is a true film fan, but the point was that you don't have to be spending big to be a serious collector. I know quite a lot of film buffs who can't afford even bottom end stuff, but they would jump at it if they had the funds. So are we saying they aren't serious collectors? Do you have to be spending lots on posters to be a serious collector, or obsessed. I think it's a poor description when it comes down to money, as to weather your serious about a Hobby... 

What I do know is, at that top end of the poster world, it's all about the money. These people aren't spending hundreds of thousands, and not caring if they get their money back or not.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #141 on: February 23, 2013, 02:13:59 PM »
And others collect because they think a certain poster is one "they must or should have" in their collection, in order to qualify it in some ridiculous manner of thinking. People who say that one MUST have a JAWS poster, or a SW poster, in order to "boost" their collection to a status level that is worthy is just plain hogwash, as well.

Well Jeff, exactly who do YOU collect?  You're a top 10 poster here and - to my recollection - have never posted your own posters or described your collection.  3000+ posts and not a hint of your personal collection?  Kinda odd, especially since you're so judgmental of others.

There's nothing wrong with being a "completist" and/or ambitious collector. It's no different that any other hobby - Jay Leno owns 180 cars and motorcycles and is proud to show them off.

Of course, you don't want to cross the braggart line, like DeLuca has:

But even worse, some people claim to be the "the owner of world's greatest collection" of certain movie poster genres but refuse to substantiate their collection.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 02:14:35 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #142 on: February 23, 2013, 02:25:24 PM »
I'd love to spend a day/week at Leno's, he's got some very nice cars. Think he'd let me drive some... :D   That'll be a No then. J LeNO...

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #143 on: February 23, 2013, 02:47:34 PM »
As referenced on MOPO, Wall Street Journal yesterday featured a short article about movie poster collecting:

Nice article. I guess I too question the 1,000 count, but more so the use of the phrase 'serious collector'  - touch of snobbery in that statement. What the hell makes a serious collector? Anyone who enjoys accumulating movie posters for any reason is a serious collector, the value of their collection shouldn't be a benchmark. Also whether they are in it for a lifetime or for 5 years it doesn't matter, someone who is active at the hobby is a collector; a collector who is inactive probably has just had kids...  :P
David

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #144 on: February 23, 2013, 02:57:18 PM »
Nice article. I guess I too question the 1,000 count, but more so the use of the phrase 'serious collector'  - touch of snobbery in that statement. What the hell makes a serious collector? Anyone who enjoys accumulating movie posters for any reason is a serious collector, the value of their collection shouldn't be a benchmark. Also whether they are in it for a lifetime or for 5 years it doesn't matter, someone who is active at the hobby is a collector; a collector who is inactive probably has just had kids...  :P

That's the beauty of collecting, too. The word "serious" can be defined in so many ways. Having deep pockets is just one definition, and that seems to be how it was used in the article.

But serious can also mean those who collect a certain actor, genre, country, compete-ists, era, decade etc.

That is what makes for a fascinating hobby, as we all are choosing where to be more or less serious, in amounts of material that are out there to obtain and enjoy.

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #145 on: February 23, 2013, 03:04:48 PM »
My view is that a ''serious'' collector is one who is committed and knows, loves what is buying. Money helps, but knowledge and perseverance takes you a long way.  I don't think that the owner of the CASA 6 SH will be happier than me with what I have. It is not the size or having this or that, it is about your love for this hobby, either if you love the film, or the art.

I see that here people collect for different reasons but we all seem to appreciate a poster when it comes to our hands. That's what makes a any collector a serious collector.In my humble opinion.

Mirosae

« Reply #146 on: February 23, 2013, 03:16:47 PM »
Well Jeff, exactly who do YOU collect?  You're a top 10 poster here and - to my recollection - have never posted your own posters or described your collection.  3000+ posts and not a hint of your personal collection?  Kinda odd, especially since you're so judgmental of others.

There's nothing wrong with being a "completist" and/or ambitious collector. It's no different that any other hobby - Jay Leno owns 180 cars and motorcycles and is proud to show them off.

Of course, you don't want to cross the braggart line, like DeLuca has:

But even worse, some people claim to be the "the owner of world's greatest collection" of certain movie poster genres but refuse to substantiate their collection.

I didn't think Jeff was being judgemental here. I don't think he is. I would have thought that we have collectors that buy for different reasons. Investment being just one of those. Another reason is self-reassurance. And why not? If  I had the money to collect vintage Channel handbags, YOU BET will be collecting that.  In my view, Jeff was right in saying that some buy posters because they feel the need to show off.  Like they buy ferraris, etc they use this to show their status. Posters all the same. 

I have friends, good friends of mine who do that all the time. They work in the City (Wall Street), and buy through dealers who tell them what to buy. Is that collecting? Well, I say yes, but for a differnt reason of course. Why do they do it? Because they can!

And I do agree that once your collection gets you there, you have to finnist it off, I don't think being a completist is a bad thing at all.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #147 on: February 23, 2013, 03:27:57 PM »
Rosa,

You are right. I am not judgmental of others here on the board. That comment is simply not true. 

Have I, on occasion, commented on the use of terms like "elite," "superior" or "5 star" collections? Yes, I have (as have others). Opining about these terms is not being judgmental, but expressing my opinion of what those terms connote or suggest.

As far as what I collect, I am more of an earlier decades guy.. whether it be things from the US, France, Belgians, Italians or Aus daybills.

I much prefer the art and artistic creations from those earlier decades.

-Jeff

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #148 on: February 23, 2013, 05:00:12 PM »
Wow, great discussion. Very refreshing to see all your viewpoints.
Witty signature goes here.

Charlie

« Reply #149 on: February 23, 2013, 06:38:32 PM »

My guess is if you get a Heritage signature auction catalog for free, your considered a serious collector in Heritage's eyes...  So that leave me out. I have expected one after visiting and dropping $350 at the Berwick but they can't find their ass from a hole in the ground - even though I e-mailed Grey multiple times. Heritage has also become tough for me because on top of the 20% buyers's premium, I have to pay another 9% sales tax.  Screw that!  29%! I'll get my stuff elsewhere...