Author Topic: Lobby cards - show us yours  (Read 112383 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Lobby cards - show us yours
« Reply #450 on: March 10, 2016, 03:11:39 AM »
Always called them and seen them called mini lobby cards.
They aren't 8x10 stills, though they are 8x10.
But they are just smaller lobby cards.
Surely?

Sounds like that's what they are.

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #451 on: March 10, 2016, 08:41:50 AM »
Ok.  But in the UK, definitely FoH Sets.

....Even IF the Front of House was just another name for the Lobby. 

Thank goodness there wasn't a third size in evidence as they'd probably be called Ticket Purchase and Concession Stand sets.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #452 on: March 10, 2016, 12:08:13 PM »

Thank goodness there wasn't a third size in evidence as they'd probably be called Ticket Purchase and Concession Stand sets.

;D

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #453 on: March 10, 2016, 01:08:59 PM »
Front of House cards were call so as they were displayed at the front of the Cinema, not in the Lobby..
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #454 on: March 10, 2016, 03:12:57 PM »
Wiki.

Front of House

"In the performing arts, front of house is the portion of a performance venue that is open to the public. In theatre and live music venues, it is the auditorium and foyer, as opposed to the stage and backstage areas. In theatre, the front of house manager is responsible for ticket sales, refreshments, and making sure auditorium is set out properly."

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #455 on: March 10, 2016, 03:16:50 PM »
Anyone know how much packaging EMP uses for a set of 8 LCs...do they each have a sheet of kraft paper in between, do they come in an oversized super strong cardboard box or an envelope?  Basically, is it worthwhile for me given the brutal shipping rates for a set of 8 worthless cards?

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #456 on: March 10, 2016, 03:25:58 PM »
An EMP lobby set will be packaged as follows.

the cards are packed in a single plastic envelope.  They are not separated.
The envelope is sealed with masking tape and then the long edge is folded over and taped so the cards cannot move within the envelope.
The envelope is taped to a very stiff and heavy piece of oversized backing board with reinforced packing tape.
The backing board is placed between two corrugated pieces of cardboard the same size.
The two pieces are taped together on all four sides with reinforced packing tape
This is then placed inside a heavy mailing flat.
The flat is sealed with reinforced brown tape on all edges.

It generally takes me about 5 minutes to extract the card(s).  I couldn't bend the flat over my knee.  In 25 years of buying from Bruce, I have had 2 instances of tubes being damaged.  I have never had one of his flat packages damaged.  Bruce is the gold standard.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 03:28:11 PM by jayn_j »
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #457 on: March 10, 2016, 03:30:52 PM »
Anyone know how much packaging EMP uses for a set of 8 LCs...do they each have a sheet of kraft paper in between, do they come in an oversized super strong cardboard box or an envelope?  Basically, is it worthwhile for me given the brutal shipping rates for a set of 8 worthless cards?

I received a set of LC within the last week (from another seller) that were very well packaged.

The card set was placed in a plastic envelope, which was then taped & sandwiched between 2 pieces of sturdy cardboard. This was then placed in a second layer of cardboard which was wrapped and sealed.

I was charged $7.60 to have this mailed to me, and it was sent 2 Day Priority.  thumbsup.gif
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 03:32:41 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #458 on: March 10, 2016, 06:40:28 PM »

The envelope is sealed with masking tape and then the long edge is folded over and taped so the cards cannot move within the envelope.
The envelope is taped to a very stiff and heavy piece of oversized backing board with reinforced packing tape.
The backing board is placed between two corrugated pieces of cardboard the same size.
The two pieces are taped together on all four sides with reinforced packing tape

It generally takes me about 5 minutes to extract the card(s).  I couldn't bend the flat over my knee.  In 25 years of buying from Bruce, I have had 2 instances of tubes being damaged.  I have never had one of his flat packages damaged.  Bruce is the gold standard.

All true except for the sleeve.  They used to send a set of cards in its own separate 11x14in (or 8x10in) protective sleeve but stopped doing so a year ago.  I usually buy 10 to 20 sets every time Emovie has an auction up, and they are now sent in a stack of 80 to 160 cards.  No more set by set lobby card sleeves.  Bruce is cheap.

T
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 06:41:11 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #459 on: March 10, 2016, 06:47:29 PM »
All true except for the sleeve.  They used to send a set of cards in its own separate 11x14in (or 8x10in) protective sleeve but stopped doing so a year ago.  I usually buy 10 to 20 sets every time Emovie has an auction up, and they are now sent in a stack of 80 to 160 cards.  No more set by set lobby card sleeves.  Bruce is cheap.

T

Actually, it is not "cheapness" that forced this change. It was the obsessive/compulsive collectors who wept rivers over the massive waste of all those extra bags. I got tired of reading those complaints (and the bags are not archival anyway, so they should be discarded upon receipt), so I ditched the "one bag per set" rule, and went to "one bag per order", and we have had no more complaints (either over "waste" or damage).

It is interesting to note that the ONLY people who have anything bad to say about my business (either buying or consigning) are those who either never deal with us or those who virtually never deal with us. I listen to all suggestions and complaints from regular customers or consignors. I do not listen at all to complaints from non-customers/non-consignors.
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #460 on: March 10, 2016, 06:48:25 PM »

It generally takes me about 5 minutes to extract the card(s).  I couldn't bend the flat over my knee.  In 25 years of buying from Bruce, I have had 2 instances of tubes being damaged.  I have never had one of his flat packages damaged.  Bruce is the gold standard.

As agreed, your check for $50 will go into the mail ASAP. But please don't tell anyone I paid you to write this!
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #461 on: March 10, 2016, 07:00:41 PM »
Actually, it is not "cheapness" that forced this change. It was the obsessive/compulsive collectors who wept rivers over the massive waste of all those extra bags. I got tired of reading those complaints (and the bags are not archival anyway, so they should be discarded upon receipt), so I ditched the "one bag per set" rule, and went to "one bag per order", and we have had no more complaints (either over "waste" or damage).

It is interesting to note that the ONLY people who have anything bad to say about my business (either buying or consigning) are those who either never deal with us or those who virtually never deal with us. I listen to all suggestions and complaints from regular customers or consignors. I do not listen at all to complaints from non-customers/non-consignors.

Well, I like those sleeves, Bruce.  It was much easier to file my cards.  I always have a reserve of sleeves to use, but I really enjoyed getting a set of cards already wrapped for filing.  I personally don't care about the archival whatever.  I've had cards in those sleeves for years and years and they look as good today as they did back then.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #462 on: March 10, 2016, 07:03:01 PM »
Thanks for responding.  Looks like in my over zealousness I'm now the high bidder on a set, so looks like I'll know soon enough how much shipping is gonna hurt. Of course getting damaged cards would hurt more that's for sure.  

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #463 on: March 10, 2016, 07:19:28 PM »
Thanks for responding.  Looks like in my over zealousness I'm now the high bidder on a set, so looks like I'll know soon enough how much shipping is gonna hurt. Of course getting damaged cards would hurt more that's for sure.  

If you want, we will put them in an envelope a single cardboard, or with NO cardboard at all. As long as you accept responsibility for any damage.

We are very agreeable, and go out of our way to make customers happy.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #464 on: March 10, 2016, 07:29:26 PM »
That's good to know Bruce, I asked not to include kraft paper between all my posters last time and was denied!  Next time I'll go straight to the boss  :)

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #465 on: March 10, 2016, 07:46:37 PM »
It generally takes me about 5 minutes to extract the card(s).

It's that damn unbreakable tape.  You can hit that stuff with a flamethrower and I don't think it would unstick.  I've spent many expletive filled minutes myself trying to extract the items inside as my box cutter fu is no good and I'm wary of accidentally cutting the posters with an inadvertent slip.  That's why I prefer just using the blue painters tape, it keeps everything in place but doesn't seal it up like King Tut's tomb. 

Way better than the alternative though and the EMP packaging is superlative, in spite of the adamantium tape.
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #466 on: March 11, 2016, 10:26:48 PM »

Yes, U.K. FOH.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #467 on: March 11, 2016, 10:37:30 PM »

We are very agreeable, and go out of our way to make customers happy.

If you're so agreeable and go out of your way to make your customers happy, will you send me the sets I won yesterday in their respective plastic sleeves?  Just wondering.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #468 on: March 12, 2016, 07:10:04 AM »
No. Unless you want to pay a 19.5% buyers premium, with a $14 minimum per item!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #469 on: March 12, 2016, 11:01:35 AM »
So IT IS about money.  I got my answer.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #470 on: March 12, 2016, 11:33:54 AM »
Yes it is. Why not ask us to put each card in a separate bag? Or each set in a mylar sleeve?

If we were like other auctions, and we auctioned a few sets at a time, or a bunch of sets every six months, we might be able to do things exactly the way each customer wants it.

But the ONLY way to maintain our massive output of auctions is to have an exact system we follow each time. The vast majority of collectors are able to accept this reality, and we thank them for their understanding.

We DO "make it look easy" to run 3,000 unique auctions a week, but it is anything but!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #471 on: March 12, 2016, 01:37:13 PM »
We DO "make it look easy" to run 3,000 unique auctions a week, but it is anything but!

You certainly do.  And am sure it's not.

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #472 on: March 12, 2016, 02:18:29 PM »
You certainly do.  And am sure it's not.

notworthy.gif

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #473 on: March 12, 2016, 02:37:56 PM »
A set of 11x14 LC for The Stunt Man (1980):

« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 04:38:21 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #474 on: March 12, 2016, 05:44:28 PM »
we've been trying to figure out even better ways to ship lobby cards and I thought I would use this order to Australia for my pilot test and see what materials are best used to get a lobby card there safely

so I figured the first thing to do was put it into a bag, with a board

I wasn't sure if I felt that was secure enough, so I put that into a larger bag

into a larger bag

into a larger bag

into a larger bag

into a larger bag

then I taped them all up into a small package

priority mail box

into a box it goes

nice and neat

but I still wasn't certain it would be safe, going around the globe, so I put into a larger box

I don't know.. maybe we need more safety

fits well.. add peanuts

Perfect!

maybe I can do one more thing!

oh yeah!... that's great

there you go Phil... and I can get you a shipping discount if I print out postage online

sm1
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 05:46:36 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------