Author Topic: James Bond  (Read 628543 times)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Re: James Bond
« Reply #700 on: November 26, 2011, 05:22:46 AM »
So maybe no relevance at all.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #701 on: November 26, 2011, 05:58:34 AM »
Maybe it's advertising without mentioning "Esso" a bit subtle....  As I remember it was a huge and very popular campaign at the time. It even got me into trouble...

My parents had filled up the tank at the Esso garage, and I'd (as a 6/7 year old ) had asked the garage fellow if we now had a Tiger in our tank, which he'd said yes of course.   I was soon bragging to Elaine, my best friend that we had a tiger in our tank. Show me she said, so I went up to the car and took off the petrol cap... We couldn't hear or see it, but she said I'll bet it's hungry, so after several trips to the kitchen, we had filled the tank with as many ginger biscuits as I could get hold of. We were followed by my Mother, who was wondering why we were in and out, and going through so many biscuits.....
       I do remember the Mechanic who came to strip off the Petrol tank and tried to clean out all the fuel lines and Carburettor. I was made to watch, and given a right good talking to. The car never ran right after that, so they tell me, I do remember being very disillusioned, and disappointed we didn't have a Tiger. Maybe that's why they stopped the campaign, I know my parents complained at the garage.

I've wanted a real Tiger ever since....       
It's more than a Hobby...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #702 on: November 26, 2011, 06:21:18 AM »
Maybe it's advertising without mentioning "Esso" a bit subtle....  As I remember it was a huge and very popular campaign at the time. It even got me into trouble...

I've wanted a real Tiger ever since....       

Hilarious Paul! (Similarly my friends and I jumped off a roof one time using umbrellas as parachutes just like the cartoon characters.)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #703 on: November 26, 2011, 06:27:49 AM »
Life's so funny, at that age you believe anything, and now-a-days we believe nothing....
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #704 on: November 26, 2011, 10:43:05 AM »
Hilarious!

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #705 on: November 26, 2011, 11:37:43 AM »
"Tiger in the tank"..."Umbrella parachute"   rofl1

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #706 on: November 27, 2011, 12:30:56 AM »
Great story, Paul!
Laughed my arse right off!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #707 on: December 15, 2011, 07:38:36 PM »
Taking this from another section....

What do you guys think...  I'm about to buy this...

There are 3 versions of this poster, blue (pictured), red and purple.  The purple, which I couldn't find a picture of, is the one I'm about to buy.  It's also much rarer than the blue one.  Mint condition, $1,500.

Opinions?

T

Yep, Thierry, it's a good deal at $1500 and it's a hell of a poster.  (Of course, me being a cheapie I'd buy the later re-release):

Here are larger pics of the three original 1963 release versions (purple, blue, and pink):

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #708 on: December 15, 2011, 07:43:16 PM »
Taking this from another section....

Yep, Thierry, it's a good deal at $1500 and it's a hell of a poster.  (Of course, me being a cheapie I'd buy the later re-release):

Here are larger pics of the three original 1963 release versions (purple, blue, and pink):

Quite a dilemma Mel... for another 500 T could hold out for the better looking Purple version..wish i was in that boat...
T, hang fire for a while..

Stew

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #709 on: December 15, 2011, 07:49:13 PM »
Quite a dilemma Mel... for another 500 T could hold out for the better looking Purple version..wish i was in that boat...
T, hang fire for a while..

Stew

He is buying the purple.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #710 on: December 15, 2011, 07:52:01 PM »
Thanks Mel.

Yes, I'm buying the purple and I just said yes.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #711 on: December 15, 2011, 07:55:08 PM »
He is buying the purple.
Thank god someone is on message..... ;D

Stew

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #712 on: December 19, 2011, 05:42:52 PM »

I saw another single sided version with no month or day of release on it (bottom left below) and as I'd never seen that version (and was intrigued) I bought it. So here we have four posters for the same film, all with credits (some rated some not) and the same image (although cropped differently on a couple).

This is my favourite, always good to have a poster without a tagline at the bottom saying when the films being released (imo)...

I have had a busy month buying up posters which, while the images have been seen countless times, have had a number of variations to them, most of which have been exhibited on Bondposters’ site.

I am thinking of the four Moonraker Teaser 1 Sheets, some Licence to Kill and Living Daylights posters, some of which I was aware of but a lot, I was not.

Anyway, that was eclipsed by the part quoted story above where Ian (AP) told us about the four variations of the Quantum of Solace poster.  Artistic appreciations for this film aside, Ian’s poster write up was detailed and complete.  There may have been one missing poster, that of an oft advertised October 31st poster but this turned out to be either not true as an original poster or was more often sold as a reprint of some sort.

The jewel in the crown it turned out though was this date-less poster which, try as I have done, I have not seen anywhere else.

I am writing this here as opposed to in the ‘What have you bought this month’ thread because, in an astonishing example of unsurpassable altruism, Ian sold his one and favourite copy to me!  In an act of supreme selflessness, he recognised in me the interest and said ok.  And this is to say Thank You.

Also, it should be said that if anyone has reason to buy or receive a poster from Ian, he packs for England.  Consider the irony; his bomb proof, bullet proof, end of the world proof packing had the words Fragile liberally plastered all over the wrapping.

All the best sir.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #713 on: December 20, 2011, 05:46:26 AM »
 happy1
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #714 on: December 20, 2011, 05:48:54 AM »
Does such altruism encourage you to sell lobby cards..??

;D

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #715 on: December 20, 2011, 07:23:57 AM »
I am writing this here as opposed to in the ‘What have you bought this month’ thread because, in an astonishing example of unsurpassable altruism, Ian sold his one and favourite copy to me!  In an act of supreme selflessness, he recognised in me the interest and said ok.  And this is to say Thank You.

Also, it should be said that if anyone has reason to buy or receive a poster from Ian, he packs for England.  Consider the irony; his bomb proof, bullet proof, end of the world proof packing had the words Fragile liberally plastered all over the wrapping.

All the best sir.

All that you say about Ian (Agent Provocateur) is on the money.  Ian recently offered to help me find and acquire a poster that I wanted. It just arrived a day or so ago, packaged to a 'T."  A totally selfless act of kindness by a fellow collector.  Thank you, Ian!
I would be remiss if I didn't mention -- and properly thank -- three other blokes from across the pond who helped me out immeasurably in recent days -- Stew, Tob and Mark Lawd.
If any of you chaps need anything from the States -- I am at your service.
And, when I come to visit...the pints are on me.   cheers

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #716 on: December 20, 2011, 07:25:22 AM »
Does such altruism encourage you to sell lobby cards..??

;D

Not at the moment lol  laugh1

All that you say about Ian (Agent Provocateur) is on the money.  Ian recently offered to help me find and acquire a poster that I wanted. It just arrived a day or so ago, packaged to a 'T."  A totally selfless act of kindness by a fellow collector.  Thank you, Ian!
I would be remiss if I didn't mention -- and properly thank -- three other blokes from across the pond who helped me out immeasurably in recent days -- Stew, Tob and Mark Lawd.

It's good to see things like this happen.

Ad
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #717 on: December 20, 2011, 07:32:20 AM »
All that you say about Ian (Agent Provocateur) is on the money.  Ian recently offered to help me find and acquire a poster that I wanted. It just arrived a day or so ago, packaged to a 'T." 
Yes, there was nothing Fragile about his packing.  I could have beaten someone senseless with it and still the poster inside would have remained as pristine as the day it rolled off the printers.
Erm, quoting the Bonhams thread, it may be that I need help getting something delivered from Sunset Blvd to the UK at something less than a hundred million dollars...  Not sure if this is your locale.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #718 on: December 20, 2011, 07:43:53 AM »
I'm in the East and I might be light on pocket change, but there's more than one way to skin a cat...  wynk

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #719 on: December 20, 2011, 07:58:41 AM »
Ha Ha! Love that image!
Best wishes,
Adam

agentprovocateur

« Reply #720 on: December 20, 2011, 02:29:44 PM »
It t'was a pleasure guys, glad both tubes turned up safely, although I'm a megalomaniac hoarder and coveter of rare and shiny bits of paper I do sometimes slip and let a bit of generosity in! As Simes knows I've never sold a film poster before, he's the first person to manage to weedle one out of my stash... I think I better go lie down for a bit mesmrized

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #721 on: December 20, 2011, 11:54:46 PM »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #722 on: January 11, 2012, 07:30:15 AM »
Herewith the first of the SkyFall / 50th Anniversary posters.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #723 on: January 11, 2012, 09:49:00 AM »
Herewith the first of the SkyFall / 50th Anniversary posters.

Is that a studio/cinema poster?  Or is it a commerical poster?

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #724 on: January 11, 2012, 10:33:30 AM »
Yeah, what is that exactly, Simes?
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,