Author Topic: James Bond  (Read 628511 times)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
Re: James Bond
« Reply #400 on: March 14, 2011, 08:34:18 PM »
And I'm sure this shit will never end until I mortgage my house to buy that fucking Thunderball advance!  I am so fucked.

You sure are.

Bond quads are too cool!

Gratz on the latest.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #401 on: March 14, 2011, 08:41:47 PM »
I'm not sure which section these should actually go in as they are post auction images, but I'll post them in the James Bond section as it is more apt, I think.
Did anyone notice these two very rare posters come up for auction at Heritage Auctions last night:

I have never seen a DN/YOLT UK Double Bill Quad before, never mind a ROLLED copy!  jawdrop
And I have also never seen a rolled copy of the TB/YOLT Double Bill UK Quad - folded yes, but rolled no!

I suppose these appeal to the Bond completest, or Bond quad completest, but I think they are rather nice, especially the DN/YOLT quad.

Those look very cool, with both being not rolled and double bill quads.   

Jeff
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 11:24:34 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Ogami_Itto

« Reply #402 on: March 15, 2011, 09:13:47 AM »
nice grab on the quad harry

i just got this rolled Moonraker
it looks to be legit. it is on thicker paper than my Octopussy and SWLM though.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #403 on: March 15, 2011, 10:30:47 PM »
Thanks for not posting the third one Adam... I won the "cheapest" of the three rolled double bill Bond quads (shown below)!  

now I'm dabbling in double bills.

Sorry Brother Harry but this double bill strikes out - mostly text and small black and white illustrations - a "poor cousin" of the one sheet counterparts IMHO:

They could have done something like this (borrowing the tagline from another double bill quad):

Some of the US combo one sheets are no better to be sure:

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #404 on: March 15, 2011, 10:41:11 PM »
i just got this rolled Moonraker
it looks to be legit. it is on thicker paper than my Octopussy and SWLM though.

Looks good as well as legit to me, not that I would be the best person to ask since I know little to nothing about Bond posters, but like I said, looks good to me.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #405 on: March 15, 2011, 10:47:29 PM »
All the double bill quads kick ass over the double bill one sheets in my opinion ...

... Nice buy, Matt! You are forever DOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!  mesmrized lol
Collecting the quads and the double bills is cool!
Please, buy the TB Advance!
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #406 on: March 16, 2011, 02:49:52 AM »
Thanks for not posting the third one Adam... I won the "cheapest" of the three rolled double bill Bond quads (shown below)! 

I knew I should have just stuck to buying random cool posters that struck my fancy. 

Now that I've become a "Bond Quad Collector" (notice the all caps), I'm starting to get obsessed.  At first I was going to limit myself to only regular issue quads.... then I started buying advances and teasers... then I started buying errors and alternates... now I'm dabbling in double bills.  In addition, now that I have a collecting focus, I've found that I'm occasionally overpaying for posters when in the past I would be more patient.

And I'm sure this shit will never end until I mortgage my house to buy that fucking Thunderball advance!  I am so fucked.

Nice score, Harry.. Very nice double bill quad. It's not a strike out by any stretch of the imagination..  sm1

Jeff

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #407 on: March 16, 2011, 08:16:04 AM »
Here it is without the text & credits:

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #408 on: March 16, 2011, 10:55:41 AM »
Mel, you collect only for the art.  We all know that... heck, you haven't even seen 90% of the movies you have posters for!

However, that doesn't mean everyone only collects for pure aesthetics.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #409 on: March 16, 2011, 11:06:47 AM »
I think Mel might have been doing a quad vs one sheet comparison?

Thats how I collect...First thing I look at is title of movie. If I love that movie, the actor or the director, the poster really has to blow pretty bad for me to ignore it. See Godfather US 1 sheet.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #410 on: March 16, 2011, 11:31:49 AM »
Nice scores by Ogami and Harry.
While I haven't gotten the Bond bug yet, I'm starting to get the itch...  mesmrized

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #411 on: March 16, 2011, 01:11:42 PM »
As always, it's a matter of personal choice and market value.  The market says that double bill is worth $180 - more than most Bond US one sheets - and that's just the way it is.  IMHO other double bills are much better designed and more worthy of that kind of $$$, like the One Million Years/She.

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #412 on: March 16, 2011, 01:19:18 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br0W1GVpS4Q&feature=related

1. Dr No
2. John Barry

Those are the saddest deaths in the world of 007  :'(

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #413 on: March 16, 2011, 01:49:29 PM »
The One Million years B.C./She double bill, is excellent, but there was a lot of extra ones printed. As they were a give away to the public. You just wrote to hammer, and they would send you one, FREE. ( Ar, the good o'l days )

So it's supply and demand, and always will be. it's the only way anything is worth what it is.

Do you have a problem with Text on posters Mel, as I quite like text on them. I even have some posters that are all Typographical, and I love them. If you want posters with no Text, maybe you should buy old Pace, or Athena posters... As unfortunately film posters have to say what the film is, and who is in them, etc etc. 
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #414 on: March 16, 2011, 03:57:10 PM »
I think Mel might have been doing a quad vs one sheet comparison?

There is no 1-sheet for this combo.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #415 on: March 16, 2011, 04:06:30 PM »
There is no 1-sheet for this combo.

Im wrong again then. :)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #416 on: March 16, 2011, 08:13:53 PM »
Do you have a problem with Text on posters Mel, as I quite like text on them. I even have some posters that are all Typographical, and I love them.

Come on Paul, all other factors being equal, text and blank space significantly detract from the appearance and value of a poster.  It's not a quad v. OS issue.  To wit, compare the following first three posters (minimal/reasonable text/credits) to the second three (maxed out/excessive text/credits/blank space):

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 08:35:45 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #417 on: March 16, 2011, 08:20:53 PM »
Come on Paul, all other factors being equal, text and blank space significantly detracts from the appearance and value of a poster.  It's not a quad v. OS issue.  To wit, compare the following first three posters (minimal/reasonable text/credits) to the second three (maxed out/excessive text/credits/blank space):

I agree.  Like the detective in Cape Fear when they were strip searching De Niro behind the one way glass, he said "I don't know whether to look at him or read him."  :D

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #418 on: March 16, 2011, 08:39:32 PM »
A french one panel I own.. and I will say that neither the text nor lack of imagery detracts from either its appearance or value.

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #419 on: March 16, 2011, 09:01:08 PM »
You are right Mel... just look at these horrible and worthless posters!  I listed the titles and links to auction values above the images in case you couldn't tell which movies all this bland and wasted art was from without the titles and credits... eyeroll

Unless of course, you think posters might actually hold some value beyond what their artwork-to-text ratio might be...

Love Before Breakfast

Philadelphia Story

Spellbound

Sunset Boulevard

Casablanca

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #420 on: March 16, 2011, 09:21:50 PM »
You are right Mel... just look at these horrible and worthless posters!  I listed the titles and links to auction values above the images in case you couldn't tell which movies all this bland and wasted art was from without the titles and credits... eyeroll

Unless of course, you think posters might actually hold some value beyond what their artwork-to-text ratio might be...

Been watching this discussion with interest throughout my Uni work...
...All I can say...
...Best response of the day.

+ 1,000,000 Matt!  clap
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #421 on: March 16, 2011, 09:22:30 PM »
Now back to BOND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  happy1
Best wishes,
Adam

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #422 on: March 16, 2011, 09:42:10 PM »
Been watching this discussion with interest throughout my Uni work...
...All I can say...
...Best response of the day.

+ 1,000,000 Matt!  clap

Hey Adam, only morons make "+1" posts.  So quit being a moron and post something original.

And Harry, nice Photoshop work!  Of course, I did say "all other factors being equal."  The most relevant comparisons are posters from the same movie with more and less text, like I posted below.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #423 on: March 16, 2011, 10:28:48 PM »
Hey Adam, only morons make "+1" posts.  So quit being a moron and post something original.

And Harry, nice Photoshop work!  Of course, I did say "all other factors being equal."  The most relevant comparisons are posters from the same movie with more and less text, like I posted below.

laugh1

Relax, Mel.
You've just attacked a fair few others on this forum saying the above.

But yes, I will post something original (you will notice it is a real poster - not made up using photoshop) so here it is - maybe you should take heed of the first, second, fifth & sixth words:

Best wishes,
Adam

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #424 on: March 16, 2011, 10:35:48 PM »