Author Topic: James Bond  (Read 629738 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: James Bond
« Reply #275 on: February 12, 2011, 02:45:41 PM »
Yes, I have met Shirley several times, very nice Lady. I know signed posters are controversial, but I will never sell it. I'm off to get Honour Blackman to sign it in March, and then a trip to Scotland to visit Sean, but he doesn't know that yet. ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #276 on: February 12, 2011, 02:47:54 PM »
Yes, I have met Shirley several times, very nice Lady. I know signed posters are controversial, but I will never sell it. I'm off to get Honour Blackman to sign it in March, and then a trip to Scotland to visit Sean, but he doesn't know that yet. ;)

The surprise dinner guest eh?

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #277 on: February 12, 2011, 03:07:40 PM »
Paul,if your coming to Scotland soon can i buy you a coffee?.

Stew

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
« Reply #278 on: February 12, 2011, 03:14:11 PM »
I saw Shirley Eaton last year and Honor who is a wonderful lady, i asked her if she could  sign the autograph to me so I wrote my name on a piece of paper i had. When i wrote down my name which is Farrukh she told me about when she was living in Chelsea in a ground floor flat and that King Farooq of Egypt used to visit his mistress on the lower ground floor. He would enter through the lower ground entrance but leave from the upstairs door so as to not arouse any suspicion.

She then asked me if i had a mistress which kind of caught off me guard so i replied that I was married but she said 'well that shouldnt stop you!'  8)

I'll never forget meeting her, fantastic woman

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #279 on: February 12, 2011, 04:32:05 PM »
That's how it Starts Harry ;)

I have picked a few up over the years, I should of picked up more. My Goldfinger was £5, the most I paid was £12 for Diamonds are forever. To busy buying other things (not posters ).

Not counting Brosnan I have a quad from all bar three of the Bond movies, but I'm on the look out for a bargain price on those three. ;D

Considering I'm just starting, you are killing me with those prices!  I think I paid $325 for my mint DAF which I thought was an absolute steal.  $180 for my FYEO... a bargain given that it has been selling consistently for $300+.  Please don't tell me any more...

Fantastic posters by the way Paul... that Goldfinger is the bomb and signed to boot!  You too Farrukh... Dr. F#@KING No.  What else is there to say?

Thanks for posting guys.

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #280 on: February 14, 2011, 12:15:26 AM »
It didnt stop Bruce Lee  :P

Ive a question about the numbered AVTAK stills , at first I thought they were fakes but managed to get identical still of Zorin...what worried me at first was the glossy back but then I checked am OP still and its the same glossy back , OP one is legit for sure (press snipe/staple holes)

Moonraker , for instance , did not have glossy back....could they have changed paper type perhaps ?  

Why would they fake the lesser Bond stills anyway....might as well fake FRWL or GF if youre in it for the $$$....lol

Ive got TLD numbered stills as wel (snipes on back)l....these are rare even on ebay.

Offline joneyyy

• Collector

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #282 on: February 18, 2011, 07:01:28 AM »
Here's the correct link.

An immensely rare piece of original James Bond memorabilia;  one of the rarest and most unusual you will see.  Not a commercial copy or reissue but a first-release cinema antique from 1973.

After Sean Connery finally bade farewell to the Bond franchise (after Diamonds Are Forever; 1971) speculation was rife as to who would fill his shoes.   When the decision was eventually made, three teaser posters were commissioned, each giving tantalizing details (as is typical with the teaser) without revealing too much.

The great British poster artist Robert McGinnis (1926 -) who had created so many beautiful and iconic Bond poster images, put together three ingenious designs;  two in "double crown" format (30" X 20" approx) and one in one-sheet format (27" X 40" approx).  These featured black print on white with selected details in red;  a stark and effective colour combination.  The first showed the title (Live and Let Die) with the "i" of die as a red dagger;  Moore's name was not mentioned here.  The second said simply "Roger Moore as James Bond",  with two "O"s of Moore's name in red and the iconic "7" beneath, also in red;  there was no mention of the movie title in this poster.  At the top was Moore's head and shoulders, inclining the famous gun at an angle in the classic Bondian pose.

Offered for sale here is the third poster version, the one-sheet.  As you can see, it is a variation of the last-mentioned poster.  The difference being that Moore's name alone is mentioned, leaving the viewer to infer the rest.  His face is not even shown either, but depicted in silhouette.  It is the most subtle of the three posters, and arguably also the most effective.

It is also emphatically the rarest.  Examples of the two DCs crop up occasionally.  But this is the only example of this poster I have ever seen.  It is possibly the rarest James Bond poster you'll ever see.

The poster is in overall excellent condition, but it does have signs of use.  It is very lightly age discoloured, with a darker age tanning around the extreme edges.  Also (visible in the photo) there are two larger patches of age discolouration, where the poster has been stored rolled or possibly where it had been displayed.  These are not watermarks or stains but tanning from either age or the sun.  At the extreme upper left hand corner there is a one-inch closed tear which has been neatly repaired on the back with tape;  the tape does not show through.  There is a quarter-inch closed tear on the upper extreme edge.  There are also three quarter-inch closed tears on the extreme right towards the upper corner and one on the left-hand side.  These closed tears are neat and do not really show.  No pinholes.  No rips.  No evidence of tape (aside from the one mentioned that does not really show).  Best of all, it is completely unfolded, unlike the majority of cinema posters from this period.

Genuinely rare;  there's no telling when another might appear.

I'm not too impressed, especially for that kind of money.  I do like the other version:

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #283 on: February 18, 2011, 08:32:11 AM »
I wonder if that was part of the Marler Hayley presentations used in Odeons.

Never seen it before.

longdog

« Reply #284 on: February 18, 2011, 02:39:17 PM »
Hard to say what this is exactly but I have my doubts that it is part of any official theatrical campaign although it is very similar to the previously pictured 'double crown'.

My concerns rest in the inconsistencies of a couple of the letters, namely the two red 'O's' and the three 'R's' which all differ, in fact the overall look of the font looks like it has been 'hand done'. The placement and balance of the text & image is off - too far down and to the right which looks careless especially compared to the sharper looking DC's. If this was produced alongside the two double crowns why is the printers details missing of it and not them?

As Simes has suggested it could be part of a Marler Hayley set (but they normally consist of two quads and four DC's) but the overall look of this looks a little 'amateurish' (in my opinion) which either suggests this might have been produced for 'concept' purposes, unofficial uses or for pasting up onto advertising hoardings to be viewed from distance (where font accuracy can afford to be a little wayward).

This is of course pure speculation on my part based on what I can see in the picture. The poster itself definitely looks old but I don't think it's a stand alone 1-sheet as has been suggested in the sales copy.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #285 on: February 18, 2011, 02:53:38 PM »

Had a question for the Bond collectors here. A few things immediately caught my eye as being off on this poster. First, a couple different fonts are used. The 2 red "O's" are very different. The "O" in Roger is more rounded; the red "O" in Moore is more square and slightly larger. It extends below the second, black "O," in Moore, as well. The spacing is also off. It is closer to the second "O" in Moore and further from the "M."

Next, is the letter R. The first "R" in Roger is not the same font or style as the other 2- it is thinner and less "blocky" in appearance.

No printer's info on this poster. The example Mel used, showing Roger Moore's face clearly has that info in the lower right border.

I'm genuinely curious what others think about this. It almost looks like a poster that was made by someone locally in a print shop. Differences in font spacing and the use of different fonts doesn't look right at all. I can't imagine that a poster with these issues would ever have been approved for use?

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #286 on: February 18, 2011, 06:48:34 PM »
This is of course pure speculation on my part based on what I can see in the picture. The poster itself definitely looks old but I don't think it's a stand alone 1-sheet as has been suggested in the sales copy.
Agree with all said.

The seller does seem to waver between whether it is a DC or 1 sheet.  He states measurements though that correspond to DC.

All said, I personally wouldn't be tempted for £20, never mind the asked-for £1500.  If it is Marler related, I would need to see the whole presentation and for my part, I would only buy as a complete set.

If one looks at the Marler quad for Spy, this does include a Verrrry amateurish gun barrel as its centre piece for its design, so it Could be that it came from the same design school ...  But I really am guessing and perhaps being a little forgiving.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #287 on: February 18, 2011, 07:51:30 PM »
You mean £15,000 Simes !!!!!  :o Crazy price !!!
This poster was brought to my attention this morning & I've been thinking about it all day ... Interesting!

Anyhow, I'm sorting images out, so here are some pics (nothing really mouthwatering, sorry!):

The Living Daylights JAP B2 Advance

The Living Daylights JAP B2

The Living Daylights JAP B2 International Style

The Living Daylights JAP B3

Got loads more to go through, so apologies for the slowness of all this, but it is a huge task and I'm hitting a crucial part of University now for the next 4 weeks.

Cheers,
Adam
Best wishes,
Adam

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #288 on: February 18, 2011, 07:59:36 PM »
No need to apologize, Adam.  You're doing a good job.    :D

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #289 on: February 18, 2011, 08:07:42 PM »
Thanks Neo!
South Park is one of my favourite shows ... ever!!

Oh, I've just read Simes post about chipping in to the cause RE my website:
Simes, that's great! I'll be in touch soon through email! Really appreciate it.

Best,
Adam
Best wishes,
Adam

Bruce

« Reply #290 on: February 18, 2011, 08:13:50 PM »
Personally, I think it is part of a bigger poster. I don't think there is any chance they would have the two red "0"s without a "7" under it, and maybe much more is missing.

Bruce

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #291 on: February 18, 2011, 08:24:46 PM »
Quite possible, Bruce - you've probably seen a lot of stuff like this over the years!?

Two further pics:

The Living Daylights US Bollinger Advertising Tie-in

The Living Daylights US Carlsberg Advertising Tie-in

Best,
Adam
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #292 on: February 18, 2011, 08:38:40 PM »
A couple of UK Tie-ins:

The Living Daylights Philips Advertising Tie-in

The Living Daylights StarWears Advertising Tie-in

Best,
Adam
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #293 on: February 19, 2011, 04:02:07 AM »

Well I think this could have been done at a local Seaside printers. There was a shop on the front in Scarborough, who had all kinds of images already printed up, and you got your name, or what ever you wanted, as long as it was typographical printed under that image.  I think this one someone just had Moore's printed on instead. I do remember one had a similar Silhouette that read ".................is James Bond" and you would add your name!  

Here's one I picked up from that shop.

The shop had Many, many images, looking at the price, I wish I had thought of doing that!!!

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #294 on: February 20, 2011, 12:54:10 PM »
Paul - that Kung Fu poster is cool ... So you can kick ass just like Bond, eh!?

Adam
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #295 on: February 20, 2011, 01:10:53 PM »
Maybe a few years back Adam, but a damaged Knee stopped me training and I have since put a "few" pounds on. ;) 

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #296 on: February 20, 2011, 01:23:02 PM »
Maybe a few years back Adam, but a damaged Knee stopped me training and I have since put a "few" pounds on. ;) 

I feel the pain ... My knees are shot, and all because of karate and suchlike.
Even playing football (yes, soccer for the US guys) is a no-no at the moment.

Adam
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #297 on: February 20, 2011, 01:47:59 PM »
Guys,

I know some of you may not be aware of the second poster.
Thought you might be interested in this:

Dr. No UK Quad (early picture - will retake when I get to that movie)

Dr. No UK Quad - Irish Issue (I do not own this piece)

Notice the differences.

Cheers,
Adam
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #298 on: February 20, 2011, 01:57:42 PM »
Good grief - didn't even know there was an Irish version of Dr No.

I did see an Irish version of Thunderball at the Sylvan Mason exhibition in London end last year.  Same deal, lots of painting over.

Splendid poster.

Bruce

« Reply #299 on: February 20, 2011, 02:37:59 PM »
Is that over-printing or hand painting?