Author Topic: James Bond  (Read 628310 times)

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
Re: James Bond
« Reply #1376 on: February 05, 2014, 04:45:00 PM »
Confused lol, Simes.
I may have been thinking about another GF quad.
Best wishes,
Adam

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1377 on: March 03, 2014, 07:43:35 PM »
This is for the "I only collect Bond posters" crowd on APF.  Here's something new under the sun for you.  (This is being sold for charity.)

http://fineart.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=181412&lotIdNo=11044#Photo

JOHN J. LOMASNEY (Irish, 1899-1989)
On her Majesty's Secret Service, 1969
Gouache on artboard, Mixed Media
44 x 28 in.

The Lomasney Collection consists of over 800 hand-painted film posters originally displayed in the The Royal Hawaiian Theater in Honolulu from 1930's to 1980's. Painted by artist John J. Lomasney, and spanning 50 years of cinematic history, the posters were called a "treasure trove of art" by the New York Post. The Lomasney Collection was acquired by tennis legend John McEnroe and displayed in his Soho, NYC gallery. Mr. McEnroe donated this astounding collection to Lifebeat, Music Fights HIV/AIDS to support their HIV prevention efforts.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1378 on: March 09, 2014, 11:07:34 PM »
Got this somewhat uncommon Grezon Productions one sheet for FYEO tonight.  Nowadays I'm generally steering clear of the photo posters but this one fits with the title:

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1379 on: March 15, 2014, 09:31:54 PM »
An anonymous contributor posted some useful information about the 1983 reprints/restrikes:

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=1113467607901702043&postID=7680499388514499874

The Bond films were NEVER part of the 1980 UA reissue campaign. The reissue 1-sheet is from 1983, along with Dr. No, FRWL, Goldfinger, Tball, and OHMSS. If you look closely at the reissue, it appears the original art was re-photographed. The original canvas panel was bent vertically and partly repainted to fix the damage. The damage on the left side of the art, down the autogyro's exhaust and the sky behind it, is noticeable on the original 1967 1-sheet but it's VERY noticeable on the reissue 1-sheet.

My best knowledge for the 1983 1-sheets is this; Cubby Broccoli was very angry and afraid that NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN would do better than OCTOPUSSY. If NSNA started to make more money than OCTOPUSSY, he was going to retaliate by reissuing double features of the older Bonds; a Connery and a Moore together on double bills. Broccoli had UA reprint the old 1-sheets and have new lobby cards made for each film. NSNA was released, it did ok but not better than OCTOPUSSY, so the whole idea was scrapped leaving piles of new 1-sheets sitting around the UA warehouse, which of course started to quickly leak out into collectors hands.

Close examination of the reissue 1-sheets will show that DR. NO and FRWL were shot from original folded 1-sheets. TBALL, OHMSS from either 30x40's or 40x60's. GF was entirely redone and is the easiest to spot. YOLT is part reshot 1-sheet and part newly photographed art. DAF, LALD, MWTGG were never reprinted since UA had a quantity of eastern hemisphere 1-sheets on hand. SPY, MOONRAKER and FEYO were regular NSS 1-sheets.

Besides the 1-sheets and lobby cards, ad mats with the double features were also prepared and also scrapped.

These 1-sheets are often lumped in with legitimate 1980 UA reissues for international release like MAGNIFICENT 7, THE GREAT ESCAPE, FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE, etc.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1380 on: March 16, 2014, 11:42:43 AM »
YOLT special teaser: I believe all versions of these were printed and theaters were supposed to post them progressively:

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1381 on: March 30, 2014, 05:27:37 PM »
Here's my collection of James Bond Thai movie posters.  Most of you have seen the majority of these, but what's of real interest is the Thai poster for YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE.  I've never seen another - not in Bond books or anywhere on the net.  If I'm not mistaken (and I'm certainly not a Bond poster expert) this is the only YOLT poster that utilizes all the main promotional art on one poster.  I haven't seen Thai posters for FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE, GOLDFINGER, LIVE AND LET DIE, THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN, or FOR YOUR EYES ONLY - I'm curious if any of you have.  I believe THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS was the last Thai poster to be hand painted.  I did come across Thai posters for ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE and DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER, but passed on them because they were the same design as the common posters, only they had Thai writing on them.

A VIEW TO A KILL and DR NO Thai Movie Posters

MOONRAKER and NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN (w/Pepsi logo) Thai Movie Posters

OCTOPUSSY and THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS Thai Movie Posters

THE SPY WHO LOVED ME and THUNDERBALL Thai Movie Posters

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE Thai Movie Poster

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1382 on: March 30, 2014, 05:31:00 PM »
That DR NO is awesome!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1383 on: March 30, 2014, 05:38:08 PM »
Good looking selection, there, Mike!

-Jeff

Offline Silence

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1384 on: March 30, 2014, 05:41:53 PM »
MICHAEL

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1385 on: March 30, 2014, 05:47:07 PM »
Thank you Silence, that's great to know!  As I said I'm certainly no expert. thumbup

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #1386 on: March 31, 2014, 06:35:33 PM »
March 30th : Drax' death scene was filmed......

March 31st : Walken birthday.......

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1387 on: April 02, 2014, 12:06:34 AM »

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1388 on: April 02, 2014, 08:01:18 PM »

April 2nd : Your posts still come out of left field at best......
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1389 on: April 03, 2014, 03:13:36 AM »

Oh he of the random and meaningless surfaces again....

April 2nd : Simon watched a movie.  It might have been Bond or erm, it might not.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #1390 on: April 03, 2014, 03:32:44 AM »
Tang rules. I like his posts better than many.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1391 on: April 03, 2014, 04:19:58 AM »
Tang rules. I like his posts better than many.

He's easily in my top 5.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1392 on: April 03, 2014, 04:27:20 AM »
Maybe I am taking the wrong pills...

But when does this chap ever actually participate in a conversational format?  His output comes across (to me) as a vomitorium of the meaningless.

Soz Tang - am perfectly sure you're a thoroughly decent chap, you love your mother and you might even donate to charity.  I just don't 'get' your posts.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #1393 on: April 03, 2014, 05:23:13 AM »

But when does this chap ever actually participate in a conversational format?  His output comes across (to me) as a vomitorium of the meaningless.

Soz Tang - am perfectly sure you're a thoroughly decent chap, you love your mother and you might even donate to charity.  I just don't 'get' your posts.

while very terse, Tang's post fits right into a James Bond thread as he mentions two bits of trivia about Bond movies or actors in those films.
not much verbage, but right to the point

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #1394 on: April 03, 2014, 05:51:41 AM »

I love this one Mike, great artwork.

As per that Never Say Never Again, what is the significance of the Pepsi logo on Thai posters? I picked up a set of King Kong thai posters recently and they have the Pepsi logo on them too. Did Pepsi just have a big marketing push in cinemas in Thailand during the 80s or something?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 05:57:24 AM by Tob »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1395 on: April 03, 2014, 06:04:57 AM »
while very terse, Tang's post fits right into a James Bond thread as he mentions two bits of trivia about Bond movies or actors in those films.
not much verbage, but right to the point

Walther.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 06:17:09 AM by Simes »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #1396 on: April 03, 2014, 06:06:10 AM »
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 06:06:47 AM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1397 on: April 03, 2014, 06:20:04 AM »
James Bond anagram = Jab Sod Men

(I can do this shit all day)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1398 on: April 03, 2014, 11:44:00 AM »
James Bond anagram = Jab Sod Men

(I can do this shit all day)

We believe you.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #1399 on: April 03, 2014, 11:47:11 PM »

For the most part, Tang doesn't participate in a conversation.  That's just his style.  I think it would be interesting to know where he gets all the dates for all the anniversaries and everything.  Even if he has them all memorized, he must have gotten the information from somewhere.