Author Topic: Bags Unlimited + Horrible Packaging Job = Damaged Backings + Unhappy Customer  (Read 4432 times)

Offline enki

• Collector
So, I placed an order 10 days ago for an assortment of poster backings and sleeves from Bags Unlimited. They seemed to have gotten positive reviews here, but after opening my packages, I am sad to say that I am far from happy.

Both sets of backings were severely damaged in transit - from what looks like getting crushed as well as warping from water damage.

I understand that shipping damage happens, and is somewhat beyond the control of the shipper. But in this case, it looks like they took no care in trying to mitigate the risk. The backings box was packed so tight that a bunch of them were sticking above the corner guards. But even the ones that were inside of them got bent and warped. I also would have expected that they would have wrapped them in some type of plastic bag to ensure that they couldn't get wet if the box did.

Since they are the same size as the posters, they are basically unusable now, since they would probably cause damage to the posters (not to mention could stain them if they did get wet).

I sent Bags Unlimited an email just now, and will see what they plan on doing to fix this tomorrow morning. I sincerely hope, if they wish to do business with me in the future, that they send replacements with much better care and don't make me wait another 10 days for them.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with them? Is there another company that sells these and knows how to pack them properly?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
That's really unfortunate.  I have had nothing but good dealings with them

If the backings did not get wet, I still think they are usable and fine.  They will flatten out...

But I understand you may have paid a bunch for these and I too would be disappointed (especially since shipping to Canada is so much $!)
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
I don't know why anyone would have foamcore sheets shipped to them when you can buy 40x60 sheets at any Office Depot, Office Max or Staples etc for $17 each and then cut them down.

BU sells bags..

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline enki

• Collector

If the backings did not get wet, I still think they are usable and fine.  They will flatten out...

But I understand you may have paid a bunch for these and I too would be disappointed (especially since shipping to Canada is so much $!)

Well, hopefully they do the right thing and fix it quickly.

It actually looks worse in person then in the pictures. The thicker backings (10 of them) are completely unusable. They are rippled and dented in - all of them. The one on the top and bottom have surface damage (since they were just laying against the outer cardboard shell. The thinner backings (25 of them) are pretty bad too. I tried to find some salvageable ones, but nothing looks good. Even with the borderline ones, I just see them causing bends or ripples in the poster.

Yes, they were fairly expensive. And yes, I had to wait almost two weeks for them to arrive - which makes this whole thing more annoying. But my biggest issue is the fact that they packed them so poorly. The outer box, while slightly dented, doesn't look like a case of UPS abuse. I never even suspected anything until I opened the box up. If the box had arrived beat to shit, I would have been much less pissed since you can't protect against everything. But this is just purely a case of a piss poor packing job by BU.

Do you think there would be an issue with me putting the posters in the sleeves without backing for the time being? As long as I lay them flat and don't move them around until my replacement backings arrive safely (hopefully).

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
I don't know why anyone would have foamcore sheets shipped to them when you can buy 40x60 sheets at any Office Depot, Office Max or Staples etc for $17 each and then cut them down.

BU sells bags...

Do these vendors sell acid free foam core sheets Rich?
Chris

Offline enki

• Collector

BU sells bags..

Well, first I had no idea the you could buy them at OD/OM/Staples. Second, is it the same quality and buffered acid-free materials in the backings that BU sells? And lastly, a 40x60 for wouldn't help much for 27x41 posters. I could get one out of that- two if I cut them into 27x40. And I bought 10 of the thicker foam core backings at BU for $77 shipped, which equals $7.70 each, which is less then that.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic

Do you think there would be an issue with me putting the posters in the sleeves without backing for the time being? As long as I lay them flat and don't move them around until my replacement backings arrive safely (hopefully).

Perfectly fine as long as you're careful and store them somewhere safe.
Chris

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder

I'd agree - I had a shipment sent to me of archival sleeves, they went missing never to be heard of again - BU sent me replacements no questions asked.
David

Charlie

Well, first I had no idea the you could buy them at OD/OM/Staples. Second, is it the same quality and buffered acid-free materials in the backings that BU sells? And lastly, a 40x60 for wouldn't help much for 27x41 posters. I could get one out of that- two if I cut them into 27x40. And I bought 10 of the thicker foam core backings at BU for $77 shipped, which equals $7.70 each, which is less then that.

You know I had the same concerns until I was recently freed from this conundrum.... Just put the poster in the acid free bag and then tape it to the backing.  I saw this when I was up at Heritage.  The "M" was in a bag taped to foam core.  That way you still get the protection of the backing and you only have to worry about the bag being acid free....

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
That definitely sounds like it would work fine. But you lose the opportunity to double up... One on the front and one on the back. That means you need twice as much materials and storage space.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
I've had issues before and they have always done the right thing, so I think you'll be ok.

I don't agree with the statement that you can still use the boards after they are bent like that.  While they will flatten out somewhat, they will not flatten completely and you run the risk of having creases in the board telegraph through to the poster.  Toss them and get new ones to replace them.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
Get a full refund/return.

You didn't want boards that were 'Kinda bent with some water damage' you bought something sold as 'new'.

It will work out, sorry that happened to you!
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline enki

• Collector
UPDATE: After not hearing from anyone at BU yet, I called them up. Apparently they had some "power outage" and never received my email. I spoke to a woman there and resent her my email with the pictures. She apologized profusely, said she would look at what I sent her, and call me right back. I'll let you know what happens after I get my call back.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
UPDATE: After not hearing from anyone at BU yet, I called them up. Apparently they had some "power outage" and never received my email. I spoke to a woman there and resent her my email with the pictures. She apologized profusely, said she would look at what I sent her, and call me right back. I'll let you know what happens after I get my call back.

Hopefully it works out well.  And Matt is right - the doubling up that can be done with unbent boards is definitely beneficial...
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
I've had issues before and they have always done the right thing, so I think you'll be ok.

Same here. I received some damaged boards and called them right away. They shipped replacements.

I cut the damaged ones down and used them on some smaller sizes.

Offline enki

• Collector
Got my return call. They apologized again and are going to ship me out replacements for everything today. Should get it in 3-4 business days.

They asked me to hold on to the damaged items for the next 10 days in case they need UPS to pick it up and examine it.

Well, I guess in the end they fixed the problem and took care of it. Hopefully the replacement items will be packed more carefully...

At least I was able to salvage the sleeves. I put all my posters in them last night without issue. Laying flat on the table waiting for their backings.

Charlie

That definitely sounds like it would work fine. But you lose the opportunity to double up... One on the front and one on the back. That means you need twice as much materials and storage space.

A extra acid free bag is less $$ than the increase from a stock piece of foam core or corrugate craft to acid free archival foam core.  Plus, the acid free bag isn't that thick as to cause too much trouble..

I personally don't double up anything; rolled or flat (well except doubles)...  But the idea is growing on me....

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
Hopefully the replacement items will be packed more carefully...

Thinking about it now, I was lucky that I only got one set of boards damaged. They do not pack well enough, especially for the big size board, to avoid a rougher than average ride.

The sleeves are a safe bet though as they are much much harder to damage.