Author Topic: Help with a Brides of Dracula Poster  (Read 3876 times)

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
Help with a Brides of Dracula Poster
« on: March 20, 2012, 03:15:40 PM »

Above is a example of the poster, it is not a photo of my poster, mine's in worse condition. Just posting this so everyone knows what I'm referring to.

I'm thinking about restoring a Brides of Dracula 24x32 French poster Original Release (with the red Universal International logo).  Would like an idea on the value of the poster in general to see if the price of linen-backing and restoration is worth it (meaning I'm not putting more into the poster than it could be worth in excellent condition).  If anyone could help me with the following it would be appreciated.  I don't have photos of the actual poster at the moment, but my questions don't really require them.

1. Ballpark value of an Original Release 24 x 32 French Brides of Dracula in restored or excellent condition. So far I've found one vendor selling this original release for 290 euros and it's not linen-backed (of course I understand this is a vendor and their prices aren't usually realistic, don't know the condition of it.
2. Recommendations on good restorers in the United States to contact about quotes (I've already contacted Poster Mountain)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Help with a Brides of Dracula Poster
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 03:28:47 PM »
T  is more likely to know the value, but I would say £80-120.... is that about 150 euros tops...?
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 03:50:49 PM »
T  is more likely to know the value, but I would say £80-120.... is that about 150 euros tops...?

If that's the case then it's definitely not worth doing both, I'm only in it about $50 and honestly I don't think I'd have a problem framing it the way it is, but I could probably get it just restored and then only be in it a little over $200.  Any recommendations on a restorer?  Poster Mountain quoted me about 1.5 hrs at their $125 rate, don't really know where that stands compared to others, I'd like to shop around, really in no hurry at this point just wanted to get an idea.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 03:54:36 PM »
Was this one off eBay recently?  If so I think I saw the auction...

Bruce sold one linenbacked (and presumably restored as well) in 2007 for $162.50
Chris

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 03:57:59 PM »
I am of the opinion that it is never financially prudent to linenback or restore.

The difference in price between a poor condition poster and a very good linenbacked poster is seldom greater than the price of the linenbacking/restoration.  Not talking about that Frankenstein you bought back in 1970 for $50.  I mean the price you could sell it for now backed vs unrestored and unbacked.

Of course there are other reasons why one linenbacks and restores, but like many collecting hobbies, it seldom makes economic sense.
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 05:53:56 PM »
If that's the case then it's definitely not worth doing both, I'm only in it about $50 and honestly I don't think I'd have a problem framing it the way it is, but I could probably get it just restored and then only be in it a little over $200.  Any recommendations on a restorer?  Poster Mountain quoted me about 1.5 hrs at their $125 rate, don't really know where that stands compared to others, I'd like to shop around, really in no hurry at this point just wanted to get an idea.

Did you ever decide on a restorer? I have used Poster Mountain and was very happy with their work. Studio C is another you may want to consider. They are also located in so california (http://www.atstudioc.com/)

Dario Casadei is another you should get a quote from, too (http://members.shaw.ca/vintagemovieart/)

Have you ever taken a photo of your copy? Would love to see it.  sm1

-Jeff

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 06:38:06 PM »
I contacted hollywoodposterframes.com. They had a restore done for me and it looks amazing. I would contact Sue over there and find out her price. She usually hooks other collectors up. She is also located in Southern California.