Author Topic: Storing Posters  (Read 57257 times)

Offline enki

• Collector
Storing Posters
« on: March 04, 2012, 12:47:13 PM »
So as my collection has been expanding recently, beyond the handful of posters I have hung up on my walls, I've run into the question on how to store them. I currently have about 20 new posters right now, but haven't had a chance to really do anything with them. While I plan to hang up a few of them, the rest I want to be able to store safely, and in a way that I can pull them out and look at them as needed.

As such, I really want to store them in a flat 'container' - regardless of whether the poster is rolled or folded. This way I can just pull it out when I want without having to unroll/unfold the poster every time. I've even seen some wall mounts where you can hang one of these, without having to take it out of it's housing, which seems a nice way to be able to rotate through posters.

I was looking for some feedback on what is the best (and price conscious) way of doing so. I've read a bit about PVC vs Mylar, backings, etc., but wanted to get some feedback before I made a purchase. Ideally, I don't want to spend too much money on storage, but at the same time want to spend enough so I can ensure that the poster will survive a long time without any damage, etc.

I've looked at a lot of products at bagsunlimited.com, but there are certainly a wide variety of combinations available - all ranging in price.

What do people currently use for this? What should I look into buying (or not buying)?

Thanks!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Storing Posters
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 01:01:42 PM »
Get a flat file and some acid free paper to line it with (if you have the room).

I don't have a flat file but I collect smaller posters (mainly) and I store them flat in the poly bags from bagsunlimited with acid free backing boards in a stack
which is then placed in a plastic container (I have two very mischevious felines but they haven't figured out how to open the lid - yet!)
Chris

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 01:06:22 PM »
Get a flat file and some acid free paper to line it with (if you have the room).

I don't have a flat file but I collect smaller posters (mainly) and I store them flat in the poly bags from bagsunlimited with acid free backing boards in a stack
which is then placed in a plastic container (I have two very mischevious felines but they haven't figured out how to open the lid - yet!)

Are the polybags stiff, or are they more like generic plastic bags (in terms of stiffness)?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 02:45:49 PM »
They are very flimsy in terms of stiffness but they are still strong in the sense they protect the posters.

Think the thickness of a poly comic book bag if you have ever held one of those. 

If you want really "stiff" and "strong" you have to go the mylar route.
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 02:57:07 PM »
I advise all collectors to not store posters open/flat in poly bags as when you handle the bagged posters they are prone to develop dings. they only make it more difficult to handle your posters, not easier

that said, I have posters stored flat in flat files, between each poster I do lay a bag or acid free paper to help the posters remain flat & separated

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 03:12:12 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

I didn't think about trying to store my posters outside of any casing (ie: just laying flat on top and under acid-free paper. That might be a good route for me for the majority of the inexpensive ones I bought. For the more valuable ones, I think I would want to keep it encased in something. I guess Mylar would be it. It seems fairly expensive though - are there cheaper sources for it? What about backing? I saw like 5 different backing options, and wasn't sure if the higher end ones were just marketing BS or not.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 04:32:48 PM »
Enki, I have posters from $20 to $2000 stored in the same fashion as I described
I do not put posters inside any bag unless it is boarded

I also do not use hard plastic (acrylic) for lobby cards as I find them difficult to insert & remove from the holders.

I do use Itoya art books to store lobby cards, stills and as large as belgian or slightly larger 18x24

trying to encapsulate everything takes up space, makes handling difficult & can contribute to handling damage.

Not being in a bag will not cause your posters to deteriorate as deterioration is a process taking decades

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Charlie

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 05:01:41 PM »
Rich, I know I've rebutted your recommendations before here but I think it depends on how thick of poly you use.  I use 4 mil.  It's thick and heavy.  I don't like leaving them in between sheets because you have to actually touch the posters to move them.  With the poly I leave a few inches outside the poster to handle it with.  After it has been flat for a while the poly and poster "vacuum" together essentially becoming one and moving like one piece...  If you use poly the thickness of a comic book bag it will not provide necessary support and then yes you will be moving a bag with a poster in it and not a bag and poster as one...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 05:02:19 PM by Charlie »

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 05:12:05 PM »
Charlie...

:P

« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 05:12:18 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Charlie

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 05:18:47 PM »

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 05:34:08 PM »
I put paper between mine too, its called another poster. Paranoid people.. As long as your poster doesnt have stains, stack away.

12" stack, one or several around here. Granted you cant find anything in there!

Recommend a flat file as well if you have the room. Boards and bags take up just as much space very quickly.

Charlie

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 05:49:28 PM »

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 05:55:04 PM »
lol, another reason I will never sell out of my own collection.

Charlie

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 06:13:01 PM »
So I snapped some photos of my storage methods...

4 Mil Poly Sleeves Acid Free/Archival 30" x 42" Loose on the floor (no cats)

4 Mil Poly Sleeves Acid Free/Archival sized and heat sealed Loose on the floor/in a box whatever... (again, no cats)

Rolled: some in 6mil, some in 2mil, some just sitting there naked...

Bought some new 3mil sleeves as the 6mil were to thick to push in the end of the poster.  Also started labeling these as well..

4 Mil Poly Sleeves Acid Free/Archival 30" x 42" in a flat file; Eastwood drawer is full now taking over the Grace Kelly Hepburn Drawer...

I've been using the top of the flat file to flatten stuff...

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 08:29:14 PM »
I would never store rolled posters stacked on their sides unless they were in hard tubes.  Otherwise, over time soft creases/waves can appear as gravity warps the posters...  If I have to keep posters un-tubed, then I will stand them on end.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 09:02:02 PM »
Nice, organized, labelling Charlie
Chris

Charlie

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 10:03:50 PM »
I would never store rolled posters stacked on their sides unless they were in hard tubes.  Otherwise, over time soft creases/waves can appear as gravity warps the posters...  If I have to keep posters un-tubed, then I will stand them on end.

You've got a great point here.  I have tubes but not enough for them all.  So you think vertically is the way to go.  I would have to build something.  My original intention was to eventually get everything flat.  But some posters just aren't worth the trouble...

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 10:49:43 PM »
I think Charlie needs to buy some flat files...................

IF THEY'RE STILL AVAILABLE

-------

Charlie

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 10:58:25 PM »
I think Charlie needs to buy some flat files...................

IF THEY'RE STILL AVAILABLE

Dude I have to walk past them every freaking day... I'm giving myself 2 months tops before I cave...

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 12:33:06 AM »
Dude I have to walk past them every freaking day... I'm giving myself 2 months tops before I cave...

just give it up already. you lost the battle, you can still win the war

-------

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 11:36:54 AM »
Flat files are the way to go, I have two both are full. So my problem is where to site another....
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 12:25:45 PM »
Flat files are the way to go, I have two both are full. So my problem is where to site another....

Mine as well, I dont think the argument, "we need a bigger house so I can store more posters" would work on the wife.

Muddyfunster

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 04:38:35 PM »
Does anyone use those hard plastic sleeves they use in racks like they have in the shops like The Cinema Store. In the Uk I know Terry Quadbod used to sell them.

Charlie

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 04:47:05 PM »
Does anyone use those hard plastic sleeves they use in racks like they have in the shops like The Cinema Store. In the Uk I know Terry Quadbod used to sell them.

I've thought about getting some but they are about $10US+ each... unless you order in bulk. (http://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-2694-toploaders.aspx)  So for 500 or 600 posters I really want to protect I could buy them or a Rear Window OS...  But I was thinking of buying some for a certain price point cut off; like anything worth more than $100 should have a toploader Sleeve... 

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 04:58:16 PM »
I've thought about getting some but they are about $10US+ each... unless you order in bulk. (http://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-2694-toploaders.aspx)  So for 500 or 600 posters I really want to protect I could buy them or a Rear Window OS...  But I was thinking of buying some for a certain price point cut off; like anything worth more than $100 should have a toploader Sleeve... 

Should you use a acid-free backing with those sleeves? Also, could "rigid vinyl" cause damage to the posters for long periods of storage?

I was looking at those two, since they seem fairly more economical (compared to mylar), but was wondering about the above.