Author Topic: Mad Max/Vintage poster/Restoration experts and informed people please chime in  (Read 7255 times)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Just got this Road Warrior (aka Mad Max 2) one sheet yesterday from rixposterz on eBay.  I've never seen a poster with a sticker or whatever it's called like this on a poster.  It is a sticker for the entire credits, almost 1/4 of the 27"x41", which now that I have read the listing more carefully states "snipe on the bottom credits."  Overall, the poster is not in great condition, as can be seen from the water or humidity damage that likely caused all the ripples, tape in several areas, some tears, missing paper, and the huge sticker on it.  I'm pretty sure linen backing would significantly help stabilize it from most of the damages, but what about the sticker?  Can it be backed with that on there?  If anyone can share an informed opinion about the sticker and/or the restoration, I would appreciate it.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Personally, I think the snipe would come off during the backing process (usually this IS what we want - in this case the opposite). 

There might be additional credits underneath that were corrected (or censored) by the snipe so you could make out ok even if it does come off!
Chris

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Personally, I think the snipe would come off during the backing process (usually this IS what we want - in this case the opposite). 

There might be additional credits underneath that were corrected (or censored) by the snipe so you could make out ok even if it does come off!

Yeah, I was worried that it would be removed when backed.

You're probably right that it wouldn't affect the overall look if there are credits underneath the snipe. 

I just checked emovieposter for another example of this version and found this one that also has a snipe covering the entire credits.  A similar snipe must have been placed on several of these.  If anything, it probably adds to the authenticity of it, and hopefully everything will be OK when I get it backed.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
One more question, after seeing the picture and my accurate description of all the defects in the first post, who would list this poster "overall Fine condition?"
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 02:07:56 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
One more question, after seeing the picture and my accurate description of all the defects in the first post, who would list this poster as being in "fine" condition?

Unfortunately - rixposterz  :-[
Chris

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket

Yeah, unfortunately.  rofl1

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder

Been there, been burned.
-Jay-

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
One more question, after seeing the picture and my accurate description of all the defects in the first post, who would list this poster "overall Fine condition?"

With all that water damage, tape and minor paper loss, "Poor to Good" sounds like a more accurate assessment.
Hope you didn't pay too much.
It should fix up nice, but that will cost you.
Great image for what I think was the BEST of the three films. 

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
With all that water damage, tape and minor paper loss, "Poor to Good" sounds like a more accurate assessment.
Hope you didn't pay too much.
It should fix up nice, but that will cost you.
Great image for what I think was the BEST of the three films. 

I paid $50 with shipping.  Had I known it's actual condition, I probably would have bid less or not even bid on it, so that answers my question why people don't describe things accurately when selling.

It really is a classic series, and I agree that The Road Warrior is the best one.  Awesome art on the poster, so I'll probably end up keeping it and look into restoring it.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Well I don't think it's that bad, but being an older Paper collector I'm much more forgiving of certain defects. If it was mine I would leave it as it is, the snipe is all part of the history of the poster. It's more likely there to alter the cast list or production details for a later release. Yes they sometimes use first release posters for the later release's. If you frame it it'll look great anyway.

I think, don't waste the money on a resto, just wait for another, it will most probably work out cheaper and you'll have two versions.... ;) 
It's more than a Hobby...

Bruce

It looks a lot like this poster we auctioned last year for $38. Our grade was "fair to good".

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/3009895.html

Bruce

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Well I don't think it's that bad, but being an older Paper collector I'm much more forgiving of certain defects. If it was mine I would leave it as it is, the snipe is all part of the history of the poster. It's more likely there to alter the cast list or production details for a later release. Yes they sometimes use first release posters for the later release's. If you frame it it'll look great anyway.

I think, don't waste the money on a resto, just wait for another, it will most probably work out cheaper and you'll have two versions.... ;) 

I was just about to say pretty much the same thing.  This poster will cost $250++ to back and restore.  It isn't worth that much. Keep your eye out for another one, and then sell this one with a grading of fair to good.  I have seen a lot of "good" posters out there from reputable dealers that look worse than this one.

I think we all learn the lesson that certain dealers will always overgrade.  You can't say all dealers overgrade though, as there are dealers out there that bend over backwards to inform you on the details before you purchase.  Unfortunately, rixposters is notorious for hiding defects.
-Jay-

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
That would have went in the trash if it came to my house, I am paranoid of water damage, I believe the paper is more susceptible to mold so I keep those things far away from good paper!

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket

Our grade was "fair to good".

Yeah, apparently there is more than one seller whose condition rating of "fine" is emovieposter's "fair to good."  cheers

Lately my attitude toward restoring has changed, and I tend to agree with your opinions, Paul and Jay, that it's probably better to just wait for another in better condition since it would cost more than its worth to restore it.  As they say, "age brings about wisdom."

I agree, Dale.  Water damage can have a very negative impact on the long term stability of it, or other items around it.

Bruce

Thanks for the kind words Neo. But I can't afford to have anyone praise us on this forum, because I will be accused of "promoting" myself.

Besides, just about everyone knows how we grade already!

Bruce

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Thanks for the kind words Neo. But I can't afford to have anyone praise us on this forum, because I will be accused of "promoting" myself.

Besides, just about everyone knows how we grade already!

Bruce

Accusations, schmakusations...
They're just funnin' ya.

thumbup

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
I would chalk that one up as a loss Neo.  You can get a rolled NM one for $150 or so, and its going to cost you that or more to have it fixed.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Charlie

When I get my linen backing setup going; I'll fix it for you...  ;) 

I would chalk that one up as a loss Neo.  You can get a rolled NM one for $150 or so, and its going to cost you that or more to have it fixed.

I don't think is is a loss. It is very unique.  I wouldn't take the snipe off.  You can probably steam and flatten to remove the wrinkles.  It has character....

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Thanks for the offer to repair it, Charlie.  When I first got it, I would have agreed that some of the damage, combined with the snipe that I've never seen (with the angular cut) add character, but the water damage is severe.  On a version like this, there are many others that can be bought for less than the cost of linen backing this one, so it's probably a wise decision to pick up one of those.  Good luck with your linen backing venture.  

I hear ya, Schan.  It was returned yesterday.  
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 11:13:24 AM by NeoLoco »