Author Topic: Unused concept art  (Read 97142 times)

Offline keith

• Beginner
Re: Unused concept art
« Reply #125 on: June 12, 2014, 02:11:26 PM »
They measure 10½" x 14". I'd like to frame them and put them around the original one sheet I have but I worry if having plexi directly on top of them would effect either the charcoal or pencil. And if I mat them I worry about that smudging the boarders.

I'm glad someone else considers Tremors to be a classic, I loved this movie and had tapes and copies of the tapes because I would wear them out, it was my first LaserDisc and my first DVD.

I love that concept art! I'm a huge fan of TREMORS. Saw it again on 35mm recently at the Aero in Santa Monica.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #126 on: June 12, 2014, 02:19:17 PM »
I love that concept art! I'm a huge fan of TREMORS. Saw it again on 35mm recently at the Aero in Santa Monica.

A fun theater to go see flicks at, Keith. I've always enjoyed screenings at the Aero.  thumbup

-Jeff

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #127 on: June 12, 2014, 03:02:28 PM »
That Tremors stuff is great.

---

Mark, will you report in on that ET when you get it? Curious about more info on it...or if it's possible to demount...
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #128 on: June 12, 2014, 08:22:28 PM »
Yes, of course. It's on its way to a paper conservator in the hope it can be removed from its board.

Mark

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #129 on: June 12, 2014, 09:06:40 PM »
I have a couple of full-sized unused concept for the film Leap of Faith for which I paid almost nothing ($5 dollars each).  I didn't realize and the seller forgot to mention that they were stuck on boards.  They arrived in a triangle tube, with the photographic style posters peeled from the backing, but leaving the 'sticky stuff' all over the backs of posters.  I had to keep them back-to-back so that they wouldn't stick up anything else...

They did include a 4 x 6 inch piece of the backing board that had the IKON graphics production information on it in the tube.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #130 on: June 12, 2014, 09:50:38 PM »
Thanks, I'll be doing that eventually than.

Oh did anyone save Mel's retouched E.T. image. I'd love to see that.

Hey Attican.  I did save the image and ran it through a color correction photoshop program before posting it to tumblr.
Here it is.
Maybe Mark will take a better pic of the original.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #131 on: June 12, 2014, 10:00:11 PM »
Yes, of course. It's on its way to a paper conservator in the hope it can be removed from its board.

Mark

Here's hoping that its removal from the backing board is a smooth and painless procedure, Mark.

Fingers are crossed for you and the poster.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #132 on: June 12, 2014, 11:28:07 PM »
How did I miss the fact Mark scored this?  Anyways also looking forward to seeing what can be done with it...
Chris

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #133 on: June 13, 2014, 04:26:30 AM »
...... they were stuck on boards......leaving the 'sticky stuff' all over the backs of posters.....

There are archival reasons why posters should be removed from board if at all possible. Some glues used for dry-mounting can permeate through the poster and damage it after a period of years. Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing what one has and whether removal will be easy or difficult, until a skilled person begins the process.

Mark

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #134 on: June 13, 2014, 04:51:14 AM »
From what I have heard, it often involves not removing the paper, but removing the board.  Sanding off the board carefully from the back side until it gets down to the glue and then using some kind of solvent to remove the glue.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #135 on: June 13, 2014, 05:04:36 AM »
From what I have heard, it often involves not removing the paper, but removing the board.  Sanding off the board carefully from the back side until it gets down to the glue and then using some kind of solvent to remove the glue.

That's worst case scenario Schan - sometimes it can be peeled straight off.

Mark

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #136 on: June 13, 2014, 05:58:46 AM »
There are archival reasons why posters should be removed from board if at all possible. Some glues used for dry-mounting can permeate through the poster and damage it after a period of years. Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing what one has and whether removal will be easy or difficult, until a skilled person begins the process.

I don't know that mine were actually dry-mounted.  The adhesives seemed less glue like and more tape like (gummier), if that makes sense.

Co Attican

« Reply #137 on: June 15, 2014, 12:38:53 PM »
Thanks brude, I'm hoping mark will be able to post an image that I could make a DVD/Blu ray cover from. I tested using the eBay image and there was too much compression before I even tried to clean it up.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #138 on: June 16, 2014, 04:20:18 PM »
That's worst case scenario Schan - sometimes it can be peeled straight off.

Mark

Mark,

Once removed (and if the poster wasnt an easy peel off), will this poster then have to be backed in some manner (linen, paper or gel), in order to keep the paper stabilized?

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #139 on: June 16, 2014, 06:39:05 PM »
Mark,

Once removed (and if the poster wasnt an easy peel off), will this poster then have to be backed in some manner (linen, paper or gel), in order to keep the paper stabilized?

Jeff

Yes, re-backing is unavoidable.

Mark

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #140 on: July 01, 2014, 01:54:28 PM »
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 02:18:37 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #141 on: July 01, 2014, 02:05:27 PM »
Very interesting! Thanks for posting them Brandon.

Mark

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #142 on: July 01, 2014, 02:21:58 PM »
Great find, Brandon. I actually like the left one in the second row from the top.. showing the "tender side" of Supergirl, too.  thumbup

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #143 on: July 01, 2014, 09:06:00 PM »
Yeah, it's really cool to see some of the concepts for the different artworks, and how it is similar or different to the art they decided to use for the final posters. 

There is a lot of concept stuff at the original link for the Supergirl posters: http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblogs/big-screen/2011/nov/13/famous-movie-poster-rejects-youve-never-seen-exclu/#

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #144 on: July 13, 2014, 11:44:37 AM »
Here's some cool designs for Prometheus: http://mikeweihs.com/prometheus/

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #145 on: August 07, 2014, 05:56:40 PM »
^some of those are pretty cool. Nice and grimey.

Here are a few from John Alvin (from the upcoming book):
http://parade.condenast.com/325199/viannguyen/exclusive-never-before-seen-alternate-movie-posters-for-e-t-jurassic-park-the-goonies-and-more/#

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #146 on: August 07, 2014, 10:45:45 PM »
Nice ones there, Tob.  The original paintings and artworks are very cool, especially the one for The Goonies.  cool1

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #147 on: August 07, 2014, 11:32:37 PM »
That is a cool link, Tob.
John Alvin has been overlooked for a long time and this new book is long overdue.

Maybe Mark Lawd can tell us if that ET concept poster he recently acquired was also rendered by Alvin?

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #148 on: November 02, 2014, 11:18:52 AM »
Sorry I overlooked responding Ted. The simple answer is that I have no information about the ET poster but then I haven't sought to carry out any research either.

Here is the original Mary Poppins concept art by Vic Fair (signed by him also) which I won in the recent Ewbank's auction. Some elements of the design feature in the re-release quad.

Mark

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #149 on: November 02, 2014, 01:17:19 PM »
Mark, was it for the re-release Quad, as it says "as ever", which sounds like it?
It's more than a Hobby...