Author Topic: Written Descriptions of Poster - Need some help/Feedback  (Read 5907 times)

Charlie

Written Descriptions of Poster - Need some help/Feedback
« on: November 06, 2011, 08:24:47 PM »
Been writing description for my BS posters and would like some feedback. I am adding written description for every poster to my web database. Need help on the fourth "egg" LaBoca may have it all wrong.  Remember these are rough...  Thanks in advance.

Poster depicts White Swan in crown (Natalie Portman).  Venice and Toronto Film Festival Award logos surround Natalie.  
All credits are below the image with "This Fall" at the very bottom.  Interesting take on this poster is that in this advance version,
 Natalie is depicted as the White Swan Queen. The later released "Reviews" version depictes Natalie as the Black Swan Queen similar
to the story line.  The White Swan transforming into the Black Swan.

Poster depicts the Black Swan queen (Natalie Portman) stretched out with arched back on black background at
the very bottom of the poster with all text above. "Wicked Sexual Thriller" is written on top and there are four stars
(symbol) in quotation marks above multiple media outlet names.  The title Black Swan is written in red with Now
Playing directly under it.  Interesting take on this poster is that in this "Reviews" version, Natalie is depicted as the
 Black Swan Queen. The advance release version depictes Natalie as the White Swan Queen similar to the story line;
the White Swan Queen transforming into the Black Swan Queen.

Poster depicts the Swan Queen (appears to be the White Swan Queen; but could be nuetral) having a broken or
cracked face.  Inference could lead the viewer to take away that the lead character (played by Natalie Portman)
could be damaged or be split (vs. cracked).  After viewing the film you can easily assign the "crack" to a split in
 personalities which developed in the transformation from White Swan to Black Swan. Poster has a tagline of "An
Extraordinary Intoxicating Masterpiece Placed to the right of Natalie.  The Movie title is written in black block
lettering and credits are directly underneath the title.

Poster depicts a dancer through cubic/cubism illustration under a star filled sky and moon.  The title is in all caps
with partially filled lettering; "BLACK" on top of "SWAN".  Every LaBoca poster lists Natalie Portman, Vincent Cassel,
and Mila Kunis near the title.  Tagline following title includes "From the Director of the Wrestler & Requiem for a
Dream".  Fox Search light copyright is written vertically on the right.

Poster depicts dancer through a silhouette against a black sway displaying its wings again under a star filled night.  
The swan's beak jumps out being in high contrast from red to black.  The title is in all caps with red block lettering;
"BLACK" on top of "SWAN".  Every LaBoca poster lists Natalie Portman, Vincent Cassel, and Mila Kunis near the title.
Tagline following title includes "From the Director of the Wrestler & Requiem for a Dream".  Fox Search light copyright
 is written vertically on the right.

Poster depicts a floating swan displaying a full side view of the swan.  Following the swan from right to left one
begins to realize that the hind feathers are made from the stacking of a dancer in contrasting red and black.  
The dancer is shown to be within the swan has her head and body arched backwards like that of a bird in display
 or in the final presentation of the "Black Swan" in the film.  Notice the lone read feather in the dancer's hair and
 highlighting of the facial features with off-white.  The title is shown in the upper left in all caps with black block
 lettering; "BLACK" on top of "SWAN".  Every LaBoca poster lists Natalie Portman, Vincent Cassel, and Mila Kunis
near the title and here is is shown to be stacked underneath the title.  Could be related to the stacking imagery
or for space reasons.  Tagline following title includes "From the Director of the Wrestler & Requiem for a Dream".
 Fox Search light copyright is written vertically on the right.

Poster depicts a Black Swan and White (female silhouette) in an egg shape.  Could foreshadow the pending birth
 of the Black Swan from the White Swan through the female silhouette (Natalie Portman) and that both are inherent
 and that they are one.  Notice the eyes (in beautiful red-black contrast) perfectly line up with the female silhouette.
  Lastly the floating white feathers indicating a possible shedding of the characteristics of the White Swan as the
 transformation occurs.  The title is shown in the below the image in all caps with red art deco lettering; "BLACK"
 smaller and on top of "SWAN".  Every LaBoca poster lists Natalie Portman, Vincent Cassel, and Mila Kunis near the
title and here is is shown to be at the very top of the poster.  Tagline following title on two line includes "From the
 Director of the Wrestler & Requiem for a Dream".  Fox Search light copyright is written vertically on the right.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 08:25:08 PM by Charlie »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Written Descriptions of Poster - Need some help/Feedback
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 08:59:59 PM »
I like what you're doing here, Charlie.
I really appreciate what collectors have to say about the pieces they collect.

I can't help you with the fourth LaBoca, but I can offer some feedback on your mission.
Remember, this is constructive criticism only.

I would suggest less 'mechanical' verbiage when describing placement of type, etc.
Actually, do you really need to tell the viewer where the type is placed to begin with?
I might be missing your intent here.

I do appreciate your notes about the design concepts, but loosen up. Write more from the heart.
And keep it pithy -- less can often be more.

Keep at it, man!
 cheers

Charlie

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 09:31:27 PM »
I would suggest less 'mechanical' verbiage when describing placement of type, etc.
Actually, do you really need to tell the viewer where the type is placed to begin with?
I might be missing your intent here.

I do appreciate your notes about the design concepts, but loosen up. Write more from the heart.
And keep it pithy -- less can often be more.

I kinda wanted to review the posters like a movie.  I've never reviewed anything except engineering plans so I can see why the mechanical components leaked out.  I am always looking at the posters and trying to determine an underlying meaning.  I would hope that designers have some reason they are creating what they create. I might even infer things that don't exist.  Underlying meaning may not be the case for all posters.  Some may not need any commentary.  I just hope by adding a few ideas about the poster it could get people thinking about things they might have missed.  Kind of a "Huh, I never thought of that before." effect...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 09:34:48 PM »
I kinda wanted to review the posters like a movie.  I've never reviewed anything except engineering plans so I can see why the mechanical components leaked out.  I am always looking at the posters and trying to determine an underlying meaning.  I would hope that designers have some reason they are creating what they create. I might even infer things that don't exist.  Underlying meaning may not be the case for all posters.  Some may not need any commentary.  I just hope by adding a few ideas about the poster it could get people thinking about things they might have missed.  Kind of a "Huh, I never thought of that before." effect...

You have the passion for the posters.
That is more than half the battle.
Keep at it.
Poster commentary is fascinating.

Charlie

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 10:13:59 PM »
Ok, I reworked the write-up per Ted's advice.  After writing up the response decided to call them the "Huh?" Effect

The “Huh?” Effect:
Interesting take on this poster is that in this “Advance” version, Natalie is depicted as the White Swan Queen.  This poster came out before the film.  As we start the film, Natalie is clearly the White Swan and it is unknown whether she can play both the White and the Black Swan Queens.  A later released "Reviews” one-sheet depicts Natalie as the Black Swan Queen in her defining moment as she displays her beautiful seductive black wings.  The potential “poster play” here is that as you enter the theater or see the film for the first, time you are as innocent as the White Swan.  After you’ve seen the film, any repeat viewing is tainted, as you’ve already experience the transformation from the innocent White Swan to the seductive Black Swan.  Therefore, the appropriate second or "exit" one-sheet depicting the seductive Black Swan.  No point in trying to convince you this film is all about ballerinas and tutus anymore…

« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 10:15:03 PM by Charlie »

agentprovocateur

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 11:23:26 AM »
Charlie, great work, if everyone on here chose a film and did what you're doing we'd build up a serious knowledge database swifter than you could say 'Crikesville!'.

One observation on your "Huh?" effect re-write (above) regarding the White/Black Swan Queen anomaly... I'm not convinced Natalie is depicted as the White Swan Queen in the 'Advance' poster. If you compare the two posters, Natalie's make-up in particular, she is made up in exactly the same way (white powder, black feathers round the eyes and a tiara), the only difference on the 'Advance' version is it's got a white background and none of the costume is showing.

I think they both show her as the Black Swan Queen, but because the 'Advance' is on a white background and there's no (black) costume it just gives the impression of being white!

Hmmm just a thought.

Charlie

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 12:15:09 PM »
You are absolutely right!  She is the Black Swan in the first poster.  See this is already a great dialogue.  So now we bring in the international version were she is the White Swan (see pic).  Great observation!  So now you've completely deflated my theories as the INTL was designed by Empire where the Advance was design by Bemis Balkind... So there may not be a connection at all. Still haven't determined who designed the "reviews"...  But I guess there is still the white/black background to play on. 

Charlie

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 03:05:29 PM »
Found this really cool poster archive from Empire Design...

http://www.empiredesign.com/mobile/posters_archive.php

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 08:45:01 AM »
That is cool. I think they have some Kill Bill posters Holiday might like.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 08:52:22 AM »
That is cool. I think they have some Kill Bill posters Holiday might like.

Def like those wildings.  I've never seen those before.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

agentprovocateur

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 11:49:05 AM »
Just another quicky on Kill Bill, this collection is quite impressive...

http://www.moviepostermadness.com/Movie_Poster_Madness/Kill_Bill_Collection.html

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 12:01:57 PM »
Very impressive. I like to see dedication like that.

Charlie

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 12:26:42 PM »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 01:06:30 PM »
Found this really cool poster archive from Empire Design...

http://www.empiredesign.com/mobile/posters_archive.php

Really like this gallery.
Thanks for posting, Charlie.
Does anyone know whether this design for the 2011 THE THING ever saw print?

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 01:28:01 PM »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 01:32:21 PM »
 :o Sister Mary Francis, what in hell happened here?

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 01:41:01 PM »
He He..you must admit,the two do look pretty similar..
Just sayin.. deadhorse

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 09:47:43 AM »
Ted - I think that poster for 'The Thing' is the UK one sheet.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
Ted - I think that poster for 'The Thing' is the UK one sheet.

I think you're spot on, Tob.
AP just sent me a pic of the quad which uses the same art.  Very cool. Thanks, Ian.
I was just at impawards.com and they have this.
http://impawards.com/2011/thing_ver2.html

It looks like a one sheet, but at the bottom it reads "Binnenkort in de Bioscoop" while the rest of the copy is in English.
I apologize in advance for my ignorance of other languages, but is this a Swedish poster?
Any ideas anyone?

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 12:29:16 PM »
I think "Binnenkort in de Bioscoop" could be Dutch?

If it makes it through the postal system ok, I've got the UK one sheet on the way...it looks like this:

Quite a cool poster, shame about the film from what I hear.

Sorry for taking your thread a bit OT, Charlie!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 12:29:44 PM by Tob »

agentprovocateur

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 12:48:32 PM »
Nice, I posted the quad in the December acquisitions thread...

Edit: Tob, I reposted your post under my quad in the acquisitions thread, let me know what you think of my observation!?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 01:10:48 PM by agentprovocateur »