Author Topic: UK/Euro based Film memorabilia auctions  (Read 2319 times)

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
UK/Euro based Film memorabilia auctions
« on: October 23, 2011, 08:11:01 AM »
Hi all

I am doing a bit of research on the UK/Europe movie poster market.

I am really interested in what peoples opinions are on places like Cameo and a few other provisional auction houses  who do the odd memorabilia auction, what was good and bad about it ?

Also why is there nothing other than eBay which is an equivalent of emovieposter or movieposterbid. I am not sure about you but the only outlets to sell stuff in europe is ebay or you have to ship stuff to the states to the likes of the above or Heritage.

Christies/Bonhams is a closed shop and so I was wondering if there is a  market for a euro/UK centric poster/lobbies/memorabilia auction site - both physical and on the net?

I would love to see hear your experiences and thoughts on this

Regards
Paul

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: UK/Euro based Film memorabilia auctions
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 10:35:21 AM »
If you take everything Bruce and Rich do with regard to descriptions, condition grading, packing etc....Then think of the total opposite of that, and you have Cameo Auctions.

It's more than a Hobby...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 10:40:10 AM »
I will add Paul, if you are looking to sell. Do set your own Website up, we could do with more sellers doing just that, and it becomes a one to one buying experience, which I prefer...

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 11:19:22 AM »
Hi Paul

thanks for responding I do have my own website (have done for five years!)

I was more interested in the demand for a europe based auction service that could catalogue, grade and most importantly pack properly

Bruce and Rich do a great job in the states, I was wondering why there is nothing in europe doing the same thing, and I was also wondering if there would be demand for such a service

I am not sure of the in and outs but for me consigning to the states seems like a lot of hassle!

Paul
www.originalcinemaposters.com
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 11:22:44 AM by originalcinemaposters »

Bruce

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 11:35:36 AM »
Paul,

It will likely never happen, but I would have loved to have opened a Swiss branch of eMoviePoster, and receive consignments there AND run auctions from there. But it would be a logisitcal nightmare!

Bruce

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 11:39:51 AM »
I see what you mean, and I think your onto something there. A U.K. based Emovie-type site. Not being a dealer, I have never been bothered about selling... This does sound like something I would use, and often if it turns out anything like the U.S. based ones.

Personally bar the odd very rare item, I've stopped buying from the States, due to the amount of money the postal service was taking from me. So I buy almost exclusively from Europe. An auction site of that type over here would be most welcome.

If your thinking of giving it a go Paul, good luck, and count me in as a customer...    

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 12:07:52 PM »
Hi Paul
thanks for your comments, Its something i have thought about for a while.

If any one else has any thoughts i would welcome your ideas.

cheers guys

Paul

Chupito

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 04:44:24 PM »
Hi Paul

Count me in as a potential customer if it was a good as Emovie.

The handling charges and customs bureaucracy here in Spain are a real pain and are starting to put me off buying from the States. Especially smaller items.

Most of the posters I buy from Emovie for example are European. Its seems crazy that they are shipped all the way to the States and then back to Europe again. Look what a huge percentage of their posters are European. Import duty paid twice!

The only advantage of buying in the US I can see is if you want a poster linen backed because most of the best restorers for posters seem to be in the States.

Also it would save me having to set my alarm for 3am in the morning to catch the US auctions  :)