Author Topic: To insure or not to insure...  (Read 11064 times)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
To insure or not to insure...
« on: October 19, 2011, 06:46:26 PM »
Hi all,

Won my first little batch of posters from emovieposter over the last few weeks and it's shipping time. The package is prob worth about $200...should I plump for the insured or non-insured?

Sounds like emovieposter think un-insured has more of a chance of customs noticing it and charging me import duty and I hear great things about the packaging. Add in the fact that , only a few tubes appear to have gone missing (in the Far East) and part of me thinks it's worth the gamble.

Any opinions? I'm UK based.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 06:46:41 PM by Tob »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: To insure or not to insure...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 09:56:53 PM »
In my experience for international transacations INSURED packages are the ones that get hung up in customs and assessed ridiculous fees.

I have had all my emovie wins sent to Canada via regular airmail international (uninsured) and never had a problem.
Chris

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 10:52:02 PM »
I always insure the packages.
The only times I didn't they got damaged.
After that. Always insured even though its  extra.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 10:55:34 PM »
I always insure the packages.
The only times I didn't they got damaged.
After that. Always insured even though its  extra.

So you think when they are insured postal workers treat packages with more care?
Chris

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 11:04:06 PM »
To be honest, I have no idea. That was my experience. So from now on I insure the items I buy. because its only a few more dollars and I know they are responsible if anything happens.

Like I said, this was one of my packages before, then never emailed back a reason, nor gave a rats ass. How does it get this damaged? a strong tube like that?? I have no idea.\

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 11:06:16 PM by bigmike »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 11:09:01 PM »
I agree insurance is a nice safety net and offers peace of mind - but I seriously worry about custom's problems and fees!  They really irk me!  Plus I don't want Johnny and Sally touching my paper treasures  >:(
Chris

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 11:11:45 PM »
Good point, but Sally and Johnny should be responsible for anything that happens too.
I actually have one poster right now in customs, hopefully they didnt damage it.

If customs want to open a package they will.
The fees. Sometimes I get them, sometimes I don't? I don't know why. But I'd rather chance the extra little bit of fees, to know that my poster is insured and should come safely.

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 11:25:07 PM »
Sally and Johnny are not responsible for any damage they cause...at least not in Australia.
And my experience has been they are less than gentle when taking a goosey gander.
Ves

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 11:39:03 PM »
Sally and Johnny are not responsible for any damage they cause...at least not in Australia.
And my experience has been they are less than gentle when taking a goosey gander.

Johnny and Sally need some pointers!  Plus even if they were responsible, that would not matter for a one-of-a-kind poster.  Yes - safety with the insurance - but I'd rather have the poster than my $$$ back...

Unfortunately, in my experience, custom's fees are not a little bit extra - usually $25 to $50 or more!
Chris

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 11:41:23 PM »
Do they make you pay duties on items marked gift?
Ves

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 11:42:46 PM »
Do they make you pay duties on items marked gift?

Not in my experience Ves - at least not yet - damn government.
Chris

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 12:06:20 AM »
I can't remember...do they declare full value on the emovie parcels even if not insured?
Ves

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 08:29:12 AM »
Thanks guys (and girl :)) - useful information.

Sigh, I think I'll be safe, insure and await the filthy customs lot to get their claws into my wallet again. If it was $50, I'd chance it...but I suppose I should be careful.

Thanks again.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 10:01:03 AM »
I can't remember...do they declare full value on the emovie parcels even if not insured?

They do now (Bruce used to put whatever you wanted on the package in terms of value).
Chris

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 10:27:06 AM »
I know one issue, at least with the software I use, you cannot declare a customs value of $5 and then try to insure for $100 with USPS insurance. It validates the 2 and makes sure they are the same. I loop hole that by using 3rd party insurance and declare everything at $5 unless over 4 pounds and an international package, then it goes back to matching the values and printing from USPS website.

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 04:17:49 PM »
They do now (Bruce used to put whatever you wanted on the package in terms of value).

If this is true, I would go insured...it is only a few $ extra and sometimes despite best efforts, things happen beyond their control.

I recently had a parcel which arrived soaked through (how the feck that happened, I have no idea), I didn't take out insurance.
I'm hoping my posters will eventually be ok :(

And per Dale's post...I'd be surprised if any postal agency would let you declare the value of the parcel as X but insure it for Y where the difference was quite large.  I think some services even stipulate you cannot include the cost of postage in the insured value.
Ves

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 12:06:36 AM »
I am guessing once you get the posters they will be insured under your home and contents insurance, so why would you not insure them before you get them?

Peace of mind, insure.
David

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 01:03:05 AM »
I am guessing once you get the posters they will be insured under your home and contents insurance, so why would you not insure them before you get them?

Peace of mind, insure.

It all has to do with customs problems and fees
Chris

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 01:08:50 PM »
I'm curious as to what Customs fees are, there has been discussion about them elsewhere and so I was just wondering.

Here is Australia if the total value of the shipment is less than AUD$1000 then Customs don't bother with either import duties or GST (VAT). I have to say that the first time I had an item come in that was over $1000 it really caught me off guard, I can't quite remember but I think it added another (about) 20% to the cost, despite being worth it it does make you think...
David

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 10:27:22 PM »
Down here, all packages weighting more than 500 grams must be opened in the customs office, and they charge 50% of the declared value...  eyeroll
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 07:35:22 AM »
Ouch - they sound like they play hardball in Argentina.

In the UK, if the value of certain items is over £15, we get charged a stupid handling fee (either £8 or £12) and VAT (20% of the value and shipping cost) and Import Duty. I've had the situation where a £16 poster get caught by customs and the customs bill is more than the package (£12+about £5 in fees)...which is frankly, ridiculous. I still don't really understand why used advertising paper falls should be taxed when there are exceptions on things like books.

Through the Stones

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 12:48:51 AM »
I used to work at a local shipping store in Denver and learned a little bit about insurance via UPS and FedEx.  Granted, the bulk of this conversation is regards to international but I'll throw in regardless.  Every day when our driver would pick the days packages he would immediately ask two things, is there overnight and are there parcels worth more than $5000?  Those were priority to him.  They even had a special place on the truck for both things.  Out of curiosity I asked him why $5000 and he said that when they got them back to the hub they were taken off by the driver personally rather than the night crew of randoms that unload the truck and that they skipped the conveyer belt systems all together.  Otherwise, you could write fragile, glass, baby pups, whatever on the box and it doesn't really mean squat.  The only other sticker they paid attention to at all was a +75lbs sticker so they didn't throw out their backs.

Overall, insurance is only going to be paid out if the item was packaged correctly.  Over the last few years UPS had gotten real stickler about it.  If you went into a UPS store with your own box they would always warn that if you insure it for more than the $100 it automatically comes with, it won't be paid out if it's not to UPS standards and that they should be the ones packing it so you get that guarantee.  I've seen a lot of expensive items (well over $1000) get held by UPS for months waiting for their internal insurance adjuster guy to show up and take a look at it and deem it worthy or unworthy of a claim.

As a manager at the theaters we received tubes like the one in the picture above and worse and time and time again our driver would say sorry, they all ride the same conveyer and sometimes awkward items get stuck or knocked around.  Only recourse was to refuse the package.

I don't know, so far the most impressive packaging I've seen is Bruce's although I've not bought from other auction folks on this site (plan to soon though!).  As for international and customs, good luck cause it seems like there is NO rhyme or reason because it's different for each country.  We had a phone book size book that detailed every country with restrictions and rules and blah blah blah.  I do know that value should match the insurance to get it through faster.  So at the end of the day, pack it right so it can be insured correctly and make sure the seller has a money back guarantee on his product AND his packaging.  I've heard of people mailing their own tubes to sellers to use like fishing pole tubes and map cases and such for bullet proof protection.  I guess if it's worth enough, it's worth a little more leg work to make sure it gets there.

My .02
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 12:50:19 AM by Through the Stones »