Author Topic: Sellers that won't do local pickup.  (Read 4507 times)

Charlie

Sellers that won't do local pickup.
« on: October 01, 2011, 11:51:20 PM »
So about a month ago I e-mailed a ebay seller in Houston that had a nice portfolio of posters for sale and asked if he was going to open a store front.  He responded that he intended to etc.  So I won a poster from one of his auctions today and then e-mailed after it was over (yes Mel I know I should have done this before the auction ended) and just suggested that I could pick it up bring cash and save him packing it up as well as paypal fees.  He then wrote back that he has to ship it (no explanation) and then thanks me.  Helfuckinglo; I don't want to pay $10 economy ship for it if you live across the street.  I am not at all really worried about your sorry ass! 

I was fine in paying the shipping from the start but his response just annoyed the crap out of me.  Should I be annoyed?  The last seller in Houston I did this with turned into about $1200 worth of deals for him that haven't ended yet.  Am I missing something; wouldn't a seller want locals to save on eBay fees, paypal fees, and shipping time???

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Sellers that won't do local pickup.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 11:59:12 PM »
So I won a poster from one of his auctions today and then e-mailed after it was over (yes Mel I know I should have done this before the auction ended) and just suggested that I could pick it up bring cash and save him packing it up as well as paypal fees.  He then wrote back that he has to ship it (no explanation) and then thanks me. 

Some sellers do this for safety.  Just tell him you're a harmless engineer....

Charlie

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 12:11:00 AM »
Some sellers do this for safety.  Just tell him you're a harmless engineer....

Not so harmless right now; feel like finding this idiot and beating some sense into him....  I use to do this all the time when I sold records and antique glass; I would just meet people at McDonald's or in front of a police station - not really but that would have been wise.  But a public place where there was no way there would be any trouble.  I even had one lady meet me in the parking lot of my office building. Beside its not like I bought one of those uber modern thug posters to make him think I was a gangster or something.  If I was a nut, would I really buy a movie poster to lure you into trouble? 

Charlie

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 12:13:53 AM »
I guess now the question is: if I neg him out of spite and since he has my address will he come find me and beat the crap out of me?  (I always get pissed but I don't think I have ever actually given a negative)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 02:01:29 AM »
OMG don't neg him. If pickup wasn't a listed option... what are you thinking? why??? Seller already have a shitty time on ebay, dont drive away our golden goose.

I wouldn't do an in person delivery with a stranger... & who wants the hassle to drive to the police station etc etc. I'd send the package off with the other posters and my life, my family's life and my property are safe... It just takes one nutter... and a stranger wanting to come to meet me is already starting to sound like a nutter...

Anyways, out of all sales... how many that are converted into big subsequent sales started from an in person delivery/pickup... exactly... not worth it (to me)

Charlie

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 12:15:12 PM »
Nah, I won't neg him.  I understand the safety part but I didn't ask to roll up to his house and meet the kids.  A guy with that much paper is not a part-time hobbyist clearing his collection.  Plus he did say he was opening a store front.  I mean how is it any different if you had a store front and selling on eBay.  To me having a store front is more dangerous because then I know where all your stock is.  Plus, the guy can look at my feedback and easily see that I've been buying paper for years and not just a nut.  And wha? Who wants to drive and meet etc. - A seller who wants repeat business!  This other guy I found on eBay, we meet up at the BBQ place once a month and he finds good stuff for me.   I am meeting with him this Friday; he found me a French Large For A Few Dollars more and a Turkish Dirty Harry...both for reasonable prices and no shipping costs!

I was a bit annoyed; but I do know that I made the assumption that the local pickup might happen.  It is his loss...  I'll never buy from him again and sure as hell won't recommend him to anybody.  I mean come on doesn't anybody care about service and working your ass off for loyal customers anymore?  Everybody just expects customers to line up for feeding.  Not me buddy.

tstatum

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 01:08:45 PM »
Plus, the guy can look at my feedback and easily see that I've been buying paper for years and not just a nut.
I bet at least 80 percent of the world would believe the opposite of this statement ;D

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 06:14:03 PM »
I bet at least 80 percent of the world would believe the opposite of this statement ;D

laugh1   yeah, most of us are nuts

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 06:38:54 PM »

I think 80% of this forum would believe the opposite of this statement!

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 06:57:07 AM »
I can understand that guys reluctance to accept local pick-up.
I know a few Bond collectors who are very, very private people and never do local pick-up if they sell anything to people they don't know.

However, that being said, if you live very close, then a public meeting point is surely a better option than shipping etc.
I quite often do this when buying & selling locally, or even nationally if one of us are in the area.
Best wishes,
Adam