Author Topic: Anyone Tried Acid Free Spray?  (Read 13231 times)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: Anyone Tried Acid Free Spray?
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2011, 11:53:08 PM »
If you are so worried just get some uv film for your windows and use whatever plexiglas you want.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2011, 12:48:36 AM »
I tried acid-free spray followed by anthrax drying powder....wasn't pleasant...

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2011, 12:53:44 AM »
If you are so worried just get some uv film for your windows and use whatever plexiglas you want.

This is ironic.  Everyone's jabbing me for missing the Anthrax sarcasm, yet everyone seemed to gloss over what my concern was about.  I've lost count how many times I've repeated I DON'T CARE ABOUT UV in this and my other thread.  This is not going in sunlight, UV is not my concern and never was my concern.  The whole point of my question was seeing if this spray would add additional protection from any ACID the PLEXI might have. That was all!

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2011, 12:55:45 AM »
I tried acid-free spray followed by anthrax drying powder....wasn't pleasant...

Now Bruce should have attached that to his comment!  That would have made it truly successful online sarcasm and comedy!  Well done. Where were you a couple hours ago!?!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 12:57:47 AM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2011, 01:20:05 AM »
Anthrax is nothing to be sneezed at

lol

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2011, 01:27:46 AM »
I think with all perspex there is no acid leaching out concerns (I could be wrong). Just the price increase i think is due to other factors like UV filtering qualities, thickness

Bruce

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2011, 05:55:09 AM »
TheAnswerMVP2001

I am sorry you did not "get" my joke. You can return anything to Amazon. If you live in the U.S. just return it unopened and I will pay your return cost.

Bruce

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2011, 07:17:13 AM »
I think with all perspex there is no acid leaching out concerns (I could be wrong). Just the price increase i think is due to other factors like UV filtering qualities, thickness

+1

I realize you want maximun protection for minimum dollars, but it's hard to help when it seems you aren't even seriously considering our advice. As mentioned in the other thread, I have actually framed one of these 55x78 monsters before and you really can't cheap your way out of it. It sounds like you are looking at about $300 framed with no UV or acid protection. I framed up mine with conservation plexiglas and acid free backing for about $500. These are literally bottom of the barrel prices for something this size and you should be happy you have these options available.

I would suggest you take your poster to a few frame shops and see what sort of qoutes you get. I would be shocked if anyone comes in under a $1000.

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2011, 08:36:33 AM »
Sun was never an issue for me, because I wasn't planning on hanging anything in direct sunlight.  The paper itself has acid in it, so it's ultimately a losing battle.  Stock this up to newbie jitters, I'm not a museum so I'm not going to worry that much about preservation.

Though Bruce's "joke" might stop me from making any more bids on his site in the near future, as Amazon.com won't let me cancel my Acid Free Spray purchase.  >:(

Yes, the paper itself does have acid. But if you use the Artcare Acid free foamboard. It should help prolong that as well. I think*.
But the board is just a little more extra dollars anyway.
But like Harry said, its will be expensive to frame. IF you want to preserve it. Spend a little more and be worry free.
It's up to you at the end of the day and whatever makes you happy.
If you want a cheaper solution for now, go to spotlight, you'll probably get everything for under $200.

Or look at it this way.  Like I said.
How much did it cost for the poster and how hard to find is it?
Is it worth the extra 100-200 to frame it with UV plexi?

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2011, 11:38:01 PM »
+1

I realize you want maximun protection for minimum dollars, but it's hard to help when it seems you aren't even seriously considering our advice. As mentioned in the other thread, I have actually framed one of these 55x78 monsters before and you really can't cheap your way out of it. It sounds like you are looking at about $300 framed with no UV or acid protection. I framed up mine with conservation plexiglas and acid free backing for about $500. These are literally bottom of the barrel prices for something this size and you should be happy you have these options available.

I would suggest you take your poster to a few frame shops and see what sort of qoutes you get. I would be shocked if anyone comes in under a $1000.

On the contrary I have been considering people's advice.  I've just been a little frustrated that people don't seem to be getting what I'm asking regarding the acrylic and if I have to worry about acid from it, but that's a mute point now because I'm going with the best I can find in my area minus the expensive tack on's (like UV and non-glare) which in my situation I genuinely do not need.  So here's what I've settled on.

1. Nice decorative Wood Frame Cherry Finish - $140
2. 1/8" inch acrylic - $150
3. Bulk box of 8 x 32x40 Sheets Acid-Free Foam Core Backing - $70 ($8.75 a piece I'll use 3 sheets for $27)

Total $317.00 (plus shipping for the frame and the backing) I can live with that, and I think I'll be extremely pleased with it, moreso than if I went with the Spotlight.  Plus, ironically the Spotlight route would have cost me more because I'd have to buy two sheets of acrylic and the $120 metal frame ($420). And doing it myself probably saves me a couple $100 which I imagine is what a framer would charge me using the same materials just to put it together.

So I do thank you all for your help, even though it took going around and around in circles, and people at times not really answering the questions I had. I don't think I could have settled on a better decision for the money in terms of framing this.  I'll let you all see what it looks like when completed.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 11:51:52 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2011, 03:47:49 AM »
I have never seen 32x40 foam core.. only 30x40 or 40x60

are you sure the size is correct

and ps. stop worrying.. there is nothing to worry about

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2011, 07:43:03 AM »
Yes, Post some pics after its all done.

But I don't think spotlight would cost more if you use there frames and vivak. Just ask him to custom cut it, and it shouldn't be more than 200. He says the Vivak is acid free and UV protective on the website now. So I don't know. The only thing is, that I hear its flimsier.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2011, 07:48:38 AM »
Yes, Post some pics after its all done.

But I don't think spotlight would cost more if you use there frames and vivak. Just ask him to custom cut it, and it shouldn't be more than 200. He says the Vivak is acid free and UV protective on the website now. So I don't know. The only thing is, that I hear its flimsier.

Vivak doesn't come large enough... That is why he can't even use it for the backing.

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2011, 04:13:23 PM »
I have never seen 32x40 foam core.. only 30x40 or 40x60

are you sure the size is correct

Right from their website. http://www.pictureframes.com/html/backingboard.html

And to answer bigmike's comment. Spotlight can't cut overlays that large (I mentioned this in my other thread).  Vivak does come in a larger sheet (manufacturer makes it in a 60x96 sheet) but once again nobody carries it.  So if you get a custom size Spotlight your on your own with the overlays for anything over 48x72.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 04:27:18 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2011, 04:31:23 PM »
AAh, okay, that's what I missed again. The oddball size again.
He mention six sheets and nothing to big to frame on his website. I guess you have something he can't frame. clap

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2011, 04:45:08 PM »
The questions keep coming up about the spotlights, so I went and took some measurements.

The Vivak that comes with the frame is very thin, I measured it at 1/32" or about .035".  Frame comes with 2 layers, used for both backing and glazing.

The poster is sandwiched between the two and this fits into the frame.  The frame holds the poster/glazing in place through a channel that is 3/16" deep.  The frame facing snaps over this on all 4 sides holding the poster by the edges.

Since the channel is only 3/16" deep, it would be totally impractical to use foam board and plexiglass as the foamboard itself is 1/4 inch thick.  Thus the poster and plexi would slide out of the channel and the frame rails would not close fully.

It might work with using the vivak on the back and a thinner plexi on the front, say 1/8"

-Jay-

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2011, 08:25:50 PM »
AAh, okay, that's what I missed again. The oddball size again.
He mention six sheets and nothing to big to frame on his website. I guess you have something he can't frame. clap

He'll do the frame any size but he has this in small print... "(Overlays are only available for frame sizes up to 72" x 48")"

Here are two distributors that claim to have 60x96...

http://www.ainplastics.com/ainp/Products/SheetProducts/index_productsRegion_NextRowPETGVivakSheet.htm
http://www.sdplastics.com/vivak.html

I bet you they don't actually have any in stock.  I contacted almost ten different plastic companies who had the large vivak and acrylic sheets listed on their website, the few who responded to me said they did not have the large vivak sheets in stock as it's essentially a "Made To Order" item and they'd have to order a whole pallet of it!  When I started asking about acrylic I learned they don't stock most of the large sheets in that either, so their websites are misleading. They may be able to get it, but they're not going to do it for someone who just wants a couple sheets, so you're left with what they carry.  And good luck finding someone who even wants to help, when they find out you only want a sheet or two.  It's best to find a small family owned company in your area, or you can probably just go through a framer and end up paying a little more for them to get the sheets from their supplier.