Author Topic: Clash of the Titans (2010)  (Read 8489 times)

Carson

Clash of the Titans (2010)
« on: January 17, 2010, 02:52:32 PM »
In production since 2002. Looks like it's going to be Sam Worthington (from Avatar) as Perseus , Ralph Fiennes as Hades, and Liam Neeson as Zeus. I hope it works. When it comes down to it the original has real fanship but I'd not call it a "mainstream" classic. It's slightly more "cultish", imo.

Dr Hackenbush

Re: Clash of the Titans (2010)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 04:02:05 PM »
I think a lot has to do with the fact it featured Ray Harryhausen's last feature film work.  For older sci-fi/fantasy aficionados, he was the standard by which other stop motion animators were judged.  I remember seeing it in the theaters as 12 yo and thought it was great.  I've watched it since and appreciate it for what it is, a decent movie that was the swan song of one of the greats (Harryhausen).

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 04:07:51 PM »
With that cast, it has a chance.  The story is certainly classic.  I do agree with the good Dr. in that the first one has maintained a following due to the work of Harryhausen.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Carson

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 05:09:34 PM »
As long as Bobu's in the remake, I'm in. Agreed, these characters would never be so etched in memory without a uniquely talented animator.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 03:39:36 AM »
As long as Bobu's in the remake, I'm in. Agreed, these characters would never be so etched in memory without a uniquely talented animator.

I will be honest, that would be at or very near the top of original props I would like to own
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
Well, your auction price just doubled by posting that request... I hadn't thought about it before, but now I want it too!

wonka

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 03:19:05 PM »
I think a lot has to do with the fact it featured Ray Harryhausen's last feature film work.  For older sci-fi/fantasy aficionados, he was the standard by which other stop motion animators were judged.  I remember seeing it in the theaters as 12 yo and thought it was great.  I've watched it since and appreciate it for what it is, a decent movie that was the swan song of one of the greats (Harryhausen).
I concur with the good doctor...the film is all about Ray's fantastic work he did.

The film as a piece of entertainment still works for me, I recently watched it and had a good time. 

Who knows about the remake, I will see it just because of my interest in all things Greek mythology, but the special effects make it visually to perhaps fall in line with the Mummy, Van Helsing, etc...but we will see.

cinemarts

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 04:19:50 PM »
Ironically, it was Steven Archer who did the stop motion work on Bobu. Jim Danforth was also drafted in (to work on Pegasus, as I recall)
so that the stop motion could be finished on the killing schedule.

Phil

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 12:44:43 AM »
Yes, it was Harryhausen's swan song and fans who grew up with his work were somewhat disappointed.  Ray was older and tired and was rushed through sequences that the younger Harryhausen would never have accepted for the final cut.  The standout scene in the original was Perseus vs. Medusa.  That scene still holds up.
For me, 1963's Jason and the Argonauts was the first movie I saw in a theater and still is -- IMO -- his finest work.  I can still watch it today and marvel at the effects, the music and the mythology. It was remade for TV in 2000 and totally sucked with bargain-basement acting and CGI.  I hope Clash does well enough at the BO to spark remake plans at Tri-Star.  It deserves it.
I bought an original Argonauts one-sheet from dearly departed, movie poster dealer-turned-publisher Frederick S. Clarke (Cinefantastique) in 1967 for $1.50.  I still own it today...and it looks like this....

http://www.mattfind.com/12345673215-3-2-3_img/movie/g/r/q/jason_and_the_argonauts_1963_580x859_267758.jpg

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 12:47:04 AM »
oops, let's try that again...

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 06:39:45 PM »
Jason And The Argonauts has always been a favorite of mine since I was a kid and saw it on TV.  Great stop-motion battle sequences in the movie.

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 03:58:05 AM »
Here's the British quad ...

... it's a poster which always appears in an unusual size ... 29" x 39.5" ... so it looks as if it has been trimmed, but as far as we know, it hasn't.  Just one of those occasional quirks.  As Dave rightly observed in another thread, they weren't printing currency, so the occasional stack of undersized paper wouldn't have caused any great concern!

Best wishes,

Terry - www.quadbod.co.uk
Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

easyenders

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 06:28:17 AM »

For me, 1963's Jason and the Argonauts was the first movie I saw in a theater and still is -- IMO -- his finest work.  I can still watch it today and marvel at the effects, the music and the mythology.

'Jason and the Argonauts' was also the first film that I saw at the cinema, shown in a double bill with 'mysterious island'. Spellbinding stuff, I remember being so entranced and staying to watch it again after the support had finished. Wonderful stuff, I bought the DVD for my kids but it doesn't have quite the same appeal to them.

linder1

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 09:35:49 AM »
I will see any movie that contains the line "Release the kraken!"