Author Topic: Okay Thierry, what is the story on THIS poster?  (Read 4162 times)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: Okay Thierry, what is the story on THIS poster?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 11:43:26 PM »
ugly for an over rated film ?(sorry) but looks international for New zealand to me
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 12:04:58 AM »
Oh oh, this one includes some black holes and someone sat on it

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 12:21:42 AM »
Well, it's definitely not "never before seen" art.  A "concept" one sheet with the same art was being sold on Ebay, although it apparently is no longer for sale.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 12:32:05 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 12:48:10 AM »
Ari must be right.  Why would this poster come from NZ with a NZ rating snipe if it is not from NZ.

Re: the concept arts... I think they're completely bogus.  1) I've seen them on Ebay back and forth for a long, long time.  The same ones, over and over.  2) Spielberg's only request for the P&A campaign was to NOT show the alien.  He made his entire movie around this concept, something he learned from Jaws.  Yet, some of these so called "concept arts" do show the alien.  3) Spielberg's name is misspelled on one of the mock-ups.  The man was already one of Hollywood's most important personalities in 1982.  I guarantee you no one would have misspelled his name.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 12:56:24 AM »
new zealand spell as as good as me, not that THEY would haveprinted it, but ive seen aussiemposters USED at theastresb that are repros, so who knows?if it works the cinema woudnt care. Remember the day I saw ET in Melbourne with my granny RIPm cried my arse off, nowonder I dont have one anymore. (arse that is - or granny)
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 02:33:57 AM »
Re: the concept arts... I think they're completely bogus.  1) I've seen them on Ebay back and forth for a long, long time.  The same ones, over and over.  2) Spielberg's only request for the P&A campaign was to NOT show the alien.  He made his entire movie around this concept, something he learned from Jaws.  Yet, some of these so called "concept arts" do show the alien.  3) Spielberg's name is misspelled on one of the mock-ups.  The man was already one of Hollywood's most important personalities in 1982.  I guarantee you no one would have misspelled his name.

I seriously doubt it.  1. So what?  Dave's had his Pulp Fiction Banners on sale since, what, '05?  2. Requests mean nothing when it comes to concepts/mock-ups.  I have a bunch of Usual Suspects comps that flat out spoil the movie, despite the story of the film's creation being based on the discussion of having a line-up as a movie poster.  3.  A lot depends on the stage of the process, but many of these are thrown together to simply test out general ideas(concepts) and not to 'sweat the small stuff', which spelling, even in prima donna-land, certainly is....  Many times you'll see placeholders, if credits are even used.

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 04:43:55 AM »
but ive seen aussie posters USED at theatres that are repros, so who knows?  if it works the cinema woudnt care.

I know of at least 1 which still does this here in Melbourne.
Ves

Bruce

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 05:34:24 AM »
It has a New Zealand snipe glued on, which almost guarantees it wasn't printed there. It IS a printed movie poster and not a repro.

I can imagine it is Australian. but where are the others, why is there no rating printed on it, and since when did Australia have 40 x 60s?

I never said it was a great poster, and it does have big condition issues, but it still is a real mystery.

And nothing I read here sheds any light on what it is or where it came from.

Bruce

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 08:27:46 AM »
What kind of paper is it on... thick like US 40x60?

Bruce

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 08:41:49 AM »
Pretty much one-sheet like paper, consistent with the year ET came out.

Bruce

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 10:32:17 PM »
NEW ZEALAND used paper from everywhere, they dont care ;)
An Error Has Occurred!

Bruce

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 10:38:31 PM »
My point is, I have never seen New Zealand snipes on New Zealand posters. They just printed the rating on the poster when they printed it, which makes sense.

Bruce

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 10:40:25 PM »
ahh I get ya, but NZ rarely  printed any posters, so I assume its an international, and a ET fan might be of help.
An Error Has Occurred!