Author Topic: The merits of Top Gun as a sexual microcosm  (Read 6402 times)

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
The merits of Top Gun as a sexual microcosm
« on: July 24, 2011, 02:02:38 AM »

Sorry, but in the US, "Top Gun" is motherfucking gay!

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 11:08:18 AM »

Negative, Louie D.  Top Gun is a classic that is surely held in higher regard by exponentially more people than the paper for which many if not all of the movies that you have paper on.  From the posters you have posted in your collection, there are very few that are for movies I like, for various reasons, but I don’t call them “gay” because I’m not an insecure, pathetic loser who is projecting his/her insecurities in an attempt to be kewell.  If you’re one of the people who jumped on the bandwagon and calls Tom Cruise “gay” then, maybe you should refer to the “grow the fuck up” thread, or just grow the fuck up and pull your head out of your ass because you’re not any better than everyone else, and neither is your paper or the movies they were printed for.  Your rubbing people the wrong way with your completely idiotic one-liners is getting old, as a matter of fact it’s been old since the whole "vintage" debacle you started a while ago, so this is apparently something you're good at.    This video clip sums up pretty well your one-liner attacks on any posters, and now movies, for which you incessantly say negative crap about.  Have a nice day.

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 11:22:40 AM »

Negative, Louie D.  Top Gun is a classic that is surely held in higher regard by exponentially more people than the paper for which many if not all of the movies that you have paper on.  From the posters you have posted in your collection, there are very few that are for movies I like, for various reasons, but I don’t call them “gay” because I’m not an insecure, pathetic loser who is projecting his/her insecurities in an attempt to be kewell.  If you’re one of the people who jumped on the bandwagon and calls Tom Cruise “gay” then, maybe you should refer to the “grow the fuck up” thread, or just grow the fuck up and pull your head out of your ass because you’re not any better than everyone else, and neither is your paper or the movies they were printed for.  Your rubbing people the wrong way with your completely idiotic one-liners is getting old, as a matter of fact it’s been old since the whole "vintage" debacle you started a while ago, so this is apparently something you're good at.    This video clip sums up pretty well your one-liner attacks on any posters, and now movies, for which you incessantly say negative crap about.  Have a nice day.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  GAY!

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 11:54:12 AM »
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  GAY!

I never would have expected such an intelligent response.  Another one liner to add to your awesome list of replies here.  clap  Way to go Louie D. thumbup
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 01:14:55 PM by NeoLoco »

raulleaf

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 12:21:10 PM »

I didn't know that Top Gun was gay.  I better burn my VHS, DVD, and Blu-Ray copies before the gayness converts me....  AHHHHH! 

Kelly McGillis was pretty swank in those days; ironically though she is now a lesbian...  So Louie your right, Top Gun is a gay movie; kind of... I still tear up every time they win in the end, even though I know they are going to win...  No worries Neo, I'll hang that poster on my American wall if you ever want to part with it.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 12:38:30 PM »
I have to say that I hate Top Gun myself.  I cant even watch it.  But that probably has to do more with my profession than anything else.  Different strokes for different folks I guess.  If it was Elisabeth Shue instead of Kelly McGillis, then I might be able to watch it (her).
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 01:18:07 PM »
I didn't know that Top Gun was gay.  I better burn my VHS, DVD, and Blu-Ray copies before the gayness converts me....  AHHHHH!  

Kelly McGillis was pretty swank in those days; ironically though she is now a lesbian...  So Louie your right, Top Gun is a gay movie; kind of... I still tear up every time they win in the end, even though I know they are going to win...  No worries Neo, I'll hang that poster on my American wall if you ever want to part with it.
Just a little input from over here..in the UK, todays youngsters refer to things being Gay..as well as people.
No one owns the exclusivity on what is termed Gay..language changes all the time..
Louies comment over here could easily mean Top Gun is S*hit..which it is..

Stew

Ps raul i quoted you only as the newest reply nothing else mate..no offense.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 01:19:11 PM by stewart boyle »

Bruce

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 01:21:21 PM »
Calling things "gay" as an insult seems pretty "gay" in and of itself.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 01:23:25 PM »
Top Gun is more of a bromance than a gay frolic
Chris

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
Calling things "gay" as an insult seems pretty "gay" in and of itself.
It does have overtones of linking Gay with `not good`,and thats the part i feel uncomfortable with the new use of the word.
Gay used to mean `happy` or a goodness ,but anyway im dragging this off topic so i apologise to all.

Stew
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 01:28:43 PM by stewart boyle »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 02:24:28 PM »
A Dandy was a Gay fellow in the days of yore, and this is the Dandy daybills thread so...  8)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 02:43:21 PM »
Top Gun is more of a bromance than a gay frolic

Really?  Have you seen the volleyball scene?

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 03:13:38 PM »
 laugh1
Yumpin Yiminy, Louie started a dogfight over TOP GUN....how appropriate...
I haven't had such a good laugh in months.
 laugh1

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 06:54:49 PM »
A Dandy was a Gay fellow in the days of yore, and this is the Dandy daybills thread so...  8)

Pointless.  note to self: don't feed the trolls.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 08:51:27 PM »
Actually, while studying at University, this was one of the films we studied as part of the homo-erotic subject.

Regarding "gay" as an insult, that is a pet peeve of mine. While The Homosexual community changed the word from meaning happy, to meaning homosexual, which I have no problem with, now that its changed to become an insult, it takes the power away from the people who use it to define their sexuality and turn it into a negative.
Theres a few words that have changed lately like this that I HATE, "povo" is one I hear,
"Aww thats Soooo POVO"
(Povo short for poverty)
Povo meaning bad/cheap/nasty.

Just semantics, but I don't like it. And a good read that does relate is The Jeaning of America:

http://www.englisharticles.info/2010/06/10/the-jeaning-of-america/

Talking about taking away power from things that confront society. I see it all the time, things that meant something and were important to a minority, taken over and changed by mainstream, watered down, or done "ironically" and what you end up with is something that has no (important) meaning anymore.

Sorry, rant over (I just hate that term is all).

:)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2011, 10:10:54 PM »
Very interesting, Ari.  I never thought of it as a homo-erotic movie, but then again, I really couldn’t care less what people are (unless they’re some twisted child molester or something, then I have some emotion).  I just don’t interpret stuff like that as homosexual.  Most of those guys could get any woman they want, and I’d bet that most of the people calling them “gay” were not/are not/never will be like that, and are likely projecting their own misery onto others in an attempt to make themselves feel better.  And some people use “gay” in a cruel way to really try to bring someone or something down, both of which I find disturbing, as I don’t stand around and watch people get bullied.  The End.

The main issue, to clarify myself regarding yet another attacking one-liner from Louie D., is I don’t need someone’s negativity/bad karma attached to my stuff.  I don’t call Louie D.’s or anyone else’s stuff “gay” or anything else negative because I don’t want them to think about that every time they look at their poster or whatever, and I somewhat expect that people don’t attach their bad karma to my stuff in return.  I’m not saying I want all duckies and bunnies here, but seriously, most of the people here are adults, and if you can’t behave as an adult, then please get the fuck outta here.  I welcome intellectual arguments, but when someone comes on here attacking whatever he/she feels like with idiotic one-liners, that make him/her sound like he/she has the intellect of a seagull, then that is fucking bullshit, and I think it’s safe to say that I as well as a lot of people here who contribute some positivity will not waste our lives with that bullshit.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 11:41:10 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2011, 11:04:39 PM »
Really?  Have you seen the volleyball scene?

Hey I said "more of" not "to the exclusivity of being"  ;)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 11:06:44 PM by CSM »
Chris

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2011, 11:12:41 PM »
Hey I said "more of" not "to the exclusivity of being"  ;)

You guys know, women watch movies too.  ;)  

Just saw these videos  http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/81683399/        http://www.youtube.com/user/JaredMilton

Kinda seems like these videos just cause more trolling...Hmmm...Maybe it is better to ignore trolling on the interwebz.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 11:25:21 PM by NeoLoco »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2011, 11:27:43 PM »
Neo, thanks for taking on that asshole Louie. You say "motherfucking gay" aloud in an American workplace and you will be filing for unemployment the next day. We're years past that being remotely acceptable language.

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 12:07:17 AM »
Neo, thanks for taking on that asshole Louie. You say "motherfucking gay" aloud in an American workplace and you will be filing for unemployment the next day. We're years past that being remotely acceptable language.

OK, relax Francis.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 12:42:03 AM »

Well said.

OK, relax Francis.

Louie, people like you are a main reason why people don't come to forums.  They don't want to deal with the bullshit, and this is just one more of your examples to prove that.  It appears as though you can barely read, based on your one-line comments that really don't address anything other than yourself.  When I feel like I'm writing something to someone with an intellect higher than a seagull to whom the response is in reference to, then I will be happy to have a conversation on a level higher than that of a Kindergartener.  Until then, have fun with your snarky little one-liners, because I refuse to feed your trolling/hating any longer.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 12:52:38 AM by NeoLoco »

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2011, 01:00:44 AM »
Well said.

Louie, people like you are a main reason why people don't come to forums.  They don't want to deal with the bullshit, and this is just one more of your examples to prove that.  It appears as though you can barely read, based on your one-line comments that really don't address anything other than yourself.  When I feel like I'm writing something to someone with an intellect higher than a seagull to whom the response is in reference to, then I will be happy to have a conversation on a level higher than that of a Kindergartener.  Until then, have fun with your snarky little one-liners, because I refuse to feed your trolling/hating any longer.

I didn't know it was possible to give yourself a high five.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2011, 04:26:22 AM »

Sid: You want subversion on a massive level. You know what one of the greatest fucking scripts ever written in the history of Hollywood is? Top Gun.
 Duane: Oh, come on.
Sid: Top Gun is fucking great. What is Top Gun? You think it's a story about a bunch of fighter pilots.
 Duane: It's about a bunch of guys waving their dicks around.
Sid: It is a story about a man's struggle with his own homosexuality. It is! That is what Top Gun is about, man. You've got Maverick, all right? He's on the edge, man. He's right on the fucking line, all right? And you've got Iceman, and all his crew. They're gay, they represent the gay man, all right? And they're saying, go, go the gay way, go the gay way. He could go both ways.
 Duane: What about Kelly McGillis?
Sid: Kelly McGillis, she's heterosexuality. She's saying: no, no, no, no, no, no, go the normal way, play by the rules, go the normal way. They're saying no, go the gay way, be the gay way, go for the gay way, all right? That is what's going on throughout that whole movie... He goes to her house, all right? It looks like they're going to have sex, you know, they're just kind of sitting back, he's takin' a shower and everything. They don't have sex. He gets on the motorcycle, drives away. She's like, "What the fuck, what the fuck is going on here?" Next scene, next scene you see her, she's in the elevator, she is dressed like a guy. She's got the cap on, she's got the aviator glasses, she's wearing the same jacket that the Iceman wears. She is, okay, this is how I gotta get this guy, this guy's going towards the gay way, I gotta bring him back, I gotta bring him back from the gay way, so I'll do that through subterfuge, I'm gonna dress like a man. All right? That is how she approaches it. Okay, now let me just ask you - I'm gonna digress for two seconds here. I met this girl Amy here, she's like floating around here and everything. Now, she just got divorced, right? All right, but the REAL ending of the movie is when they fight the MIGs at the end, all right? Because he has passed over into the gay way. They are this gay fighting fucking force, all right? And they're beating the Russians, the gays are beating the Russians. And it's over, and they fucking land, and Iceman's been trying to get Maverick the entire time, and finally, he's got him, all right? And what is the last fucking line that they have together? They're all hugging and kissing and happy with each other, and Ice comes up to Maverick, and he says, "Man, you can ride my tail, anytime!" And what does Maverick say? "You can ride mine!" Swordfight! Swordfight! Fuckin' A, man!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2011, 05:09:34 AM »
When I feel like I'm writing something to someone with an intellect higher than a seagull...

Never underestimate the seagull....

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: The merits of Top Gun as a sexual microcosm
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2011, 06:17:07 AM »
you know its funny, I always miss the small infighting on the boards (except at NS4 where I have to take an interest and luckily or not we dont have them of late). So I didnt realise there was crap happening. And to be honest except the ones I speak to off board or have known pre APF, for the main part I forget who says what and who they are.

I didnt know and dont if louie is a trouble maker. I dont like Gay as an insult is all.

Actually, I admit, for the most part I dont like people, but I like Gay people as much as straight, doesnt bother me, I just like good and/or interesting people.
Some of my best friends I cannot see eye to eye on anything, but we enjoy arguing, thats fine by me, better than speaking to someone who has no opinion.

So, what I am saying is, I dont care if Louie offends my odd sense of morals, go for it, but I reserve the right to call him out, same goes for anyone.

And I expect or at least HOPE for a good rebuttal.

Have fun,

Ari
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!