Author Topic: Ferris Bueller International one sheet.  (Read 10938 times)

ROBDOG01

Ferris Bueller International one sheet.
« on: June 28, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
Is the Ferris Bueller international one sheet really that rare? The price that it seems to be commanding in recent times dwarfs that of other styles on this title. Yes it has the best artwork but surely there must be another factor involved i.e. rarity.....OR.....am I missing something????

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Ferris Bueller International one sheet.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 04:06:10 PM »
Check UK Ebay occasionally for them.  Two of them popped up out of the blue from the same seller on UK Ebay a year ago and sold for $300-$400, probably much less than they would go for if properly promoted.  Don't know exactly how rare they are but the chase for English language, non-US one sheets (Empire Strikes Back, Matrix, LA Confidential, Ferris Bueller, etc.) is what makes this hobby fun and frustrating!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 05:17:22 PM »
in December 2009 I sold the rolled International style in my auctions for $1112.00.
It was a surprising result, but the direct underbidders were (all three) dealers.
Just a week later, John reid sold one in a little less condition (I think it had edge wear on one side, or maybe I'm wrong) and he got $900 or $950 in a fast set sale within 48 hours of listing the poster

the two that sold on ebay UK for 300-400+ were poorly promoted, folded, and both for auction by the same seller ending on the same day. In other words, everything about the way those were sold was wrong, and they still commanded a good price.

therefore, it has to be assumed that the poster is really a very highly valued item.

I'll trade the NM rolled copy in my collection for certain posters from Double Indemnity, Big Sleep or Blue Dahlia, or for an original release Murder My Sweet UK Quad, which is properly titled Farewell My Lovely.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 05:18:22 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 05:26:29 PM »

the two that sold on ebay UK for 300-400+ were poorly promoted, folded, and both for auction by the same seller ending on the same day. In other words, everything about the way those were sold was wrong, and they still commanded a good price..

One was rolled, one was folded, as I recall. The rolled sold for $400, the folded for $300 or so. I was the underbidder on both.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 09:25:17 PM »
One was rolled, one was folded, as I recall. The rolled sold for $400, the folded for $300 or so. I was the underbidder on both.

I'm pretty sure both were folded. one had a defect of some nature.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 11:04:53 PM »
I'm pretty sure both were folded. one had a defect of some nature.

You win this round, Richie - both were folded but one had a GY sticker on it.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 12:19:21 AM »

;D

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 10:19:35 PM »
This UK Bus Stop for Ferris Bueller sold at Cameo for $1150/£720 (excluding VAT) - 10 times its estimate:

And the horrendous UK quad went for £500  :P

« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 10:22:35 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 10:30:04 PM »
Great...  Another one to add to my list.  Thanks Mel  gun2

Here are the 4 I own of this design: Intl, French, French Pantalon, Italian.  My fav by far is the French Pantalon.  I think the imagery fits the size perfectly.

T
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 10:41:15 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 10:35:50 PM »
One of the British chaps on the board was telling me how much better the quad is compared to the French 1P.  

Je ne suis pas du même avis.

Here are the 1S, 1P, and quad proportionately sized.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 10:36:32 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 10:38:07 PM »
One of the British chaps on the board was telling me how much better the quad is compared to the French 1P.  

Je ne suis pas du même avis.

Here are the 1S, 1P, and quad proportionately sized.

I get your point Mel, but your comparison is off.  The 1-sheet is wider than the quad is tall... it should be the other way around.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 10:39:54 PM »
It all depends on the design, but in this case, I agree with you, Mel, the quad BLOWS.  I never tried to go for it and never will.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 10:48:17 PM »
I get your point Mel, but your comparison is off.  The 1-sheet is wider than the quad is tall... it should be the other way around.

The quad was off vertically and I corrected it.  The revised picture is definitely correct.  The quad is 400x300 pixels, the 1P is 470x630 pixels, the 1S is 270x400 pixels.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 10:49:42 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 11:00:07 PM »
That quad looks either squished or trimmed.  Something's off.
My Personal Collection

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 12:57:06 AM »
And just for the record, it wasn't me bulling up the Quad, I don't like any of them...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 04:44:38 AM »
No, it was me. I said I preferred the quad to the French styles because the text is (obviously) in English. This is a US film and the artwork is identical - in such cases I generally hold that view, unless there is a connection between the language used and the film e.g. Japanese script on the Lost in Translation posters. I agree the horizontal placement of the artwork is less successful but the tagline is an important part of this particular poster and I and many others do not read French. That is why the quad is more in demand and consequently sells for more.

Mark

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 07:44:59 AM »
No, it was me. I said I preferred the quad to the French styles because the text is (obviously) in English.

Well, Mark and your ilk, I'm glad you don't like the Frenchies.  More for the rest of us!

And take away the white space on the UK and you get:

« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 08:11:09 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 11:28:10 AM »
No, it was me. I said I preferred the quad to the French styles because the text is (obviously) in English. This is a US film and the artwork is identical - in such cases I generally hold that view, unless there is a connection between the language used and the film e.g. Japanese script on the Lost in Translation posters. I agree the horizontal placement of the artwork is less successful but the tagline is an important part of this particular poster and I and many others do not read French. That is why the quad is more in demand and consequently sells for more.

Mark

Language is one thing that has never bothered me, which is why I buy posters from all around the world.  I am first and foremost interested in design, and I really don't care if I can read it or not.  Obviously, I don't speak a word of Japanese, or German, or even Italian.  I don't think the tagline is that important.  The drawing says it all, IMO.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 04:11:52 PM »

Wow, that is like 2 for 2 this week in the battle of memories between Mel and Rich.  Mel, according to Larry King, Ginseng is good for improving your memory.

Brian
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Bruce

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 05:25:57 PM »
Forget the "battle of memories". I want to see the "battle of wits". You would be dazzled by the rapier sharp wit flying back and forth if those two ever went at it.

Bruce

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2011, 07:18:21 PM »
Forget the "battle of memories". I want to see the "battle of wits". You would be dazzled by the rapier sharp wit flying back and forth if those two ever went at it.

Bruce

Rich?  That peerless eccentric is an ill-informed pseudo-intellectual much accustomed to surrender when challenged by truth bombs lobbed by yours truly, a suave and debonair gentleman recently elected president-for-life of the Alpha Male Social Aid and Pleasure Club.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2011, 07:27:09 PM »
Rich?  That peerless eccentric is an ill-informed pseudo-intellectual much accustomed to surrender when challenged by truth bombs lobbed by yours truly, a suave and debonair gentleman recently elected president-for-life of the Alpha Male Social Aid and Pleasure Club.

And here I thought you had been honored with the American Society of Sociopath's Highest Order of Lifetime Effort.  ;D
-Jay-

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 07:43:37 PM »
And here I thought you had been honored with the American Society of Sociopath's Highest Order of Lifetime Effort.  ;D

Friend, an appointment with calamity awaits you should you not cease and desist catapulting your astonishingly uninspired and impudent invectives towards my person.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 07:45:12 PM »
Friend, an appointment with calamity awaits you should you not cease and desist catapulting your astonishingly uninspired and impudent invectives towards my person.

Uninspired??  Try making an acronym, dude.
-Jay-

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 07:52:44 PM »

Way beyond me Jay, but now I see it.  Well played...... ;D

Brian
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.