Author Topic: Mel's Ebay auctions (The First Thread Hijacked by Bondboy)  (Read 38442 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Mel's Ebay auctions (The First Thread Hijacked by Bondboy)
« on: June 19, 2011, 11:21:39 PM »
I'm selling a few items on Ebay that might be of interest to peeps here.  The auction will finish next Sunday (June 26), so bid/snipe if you are interested:

Eight LOTR poster lot

Eleven Star Wars posters lot

Stout ROTJ

« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 08:01:46 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Mel's Ebay auctions
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 12:06:49 AM »
Nice batch.  The 2 Grindhouse posters are extremely rare and nicely priced.  The Stout should have sold already.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 01:52:26 PM »
Sold the Death Proof and Planet Terror unreleased posters to a forum member for a "not unreasonable" price and deleted them from below.  Like I told the buyer, Jerry Ohlinger/moviematerials.com might have them for sale, although they will zoom up in price if he gets a lot of calls about them.

guest8

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 01:55:54 PM »
Aww I was hoping to watch them shot way up at the end of the auction too .. I hate it when sellers end things early !! :P

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 02:47:58 PM »
Aww I was hoping to watch them shot way up at the end of the auction too .. I hate it when sellers end things early !! :P

I think it's OK to end listings early or make "off Ebay" offers IF there are no current bidders.  Plus Ebay is such a crap-shoot.  You never know if the watchers will snipe at the end.

I'm also hoping this particular buyer one of these days will show off the true extent of his collection. Some people such as yours truly are "attention hos" but others like to fly under the radar....

guest8

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 05:20:46 PM »
I think it's OK to end listings early or make "off Ebay" offers IF there are no current bidders.  Plus Ebay is such a crap-shoot.  You never know if the watchers will snipe at the end.

I'm also hoping this particular buyer one of these days will show off the true extent of his collection. Some people such as yours truly are "attention hos" but others like to fly under the radar....

from a sellers perspective I totally get what youre saying about ending the auction early and the money you save from ebay fees may make up what extra you might have made if the auction ran its course, but as a buyer I try not to bid until the very end of an auction so as a buyer its disappointing .. BUT, in this case where there were already multiple offers and the fact that those are somewhat rare posters Id have personally let them run the full length and hoped for a bidding war and possibly get some insane prices. Thats prolly just the greedy bastidge inside of me though ;) You obviously got enough to make you happy and made a buyer happy in the process so theres some good karma going your direction :)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 07:24:09 PM »
There WAS going to be a bidding war...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 04:01:44 AM »
Question:

Why is the Star Wars lot listed in the Posters > Originals-US > 1970-1979 section? None of these posters are from that decade.

5 are from the 2000's, 4 are from the 1990's, one is a reprint and another is an 80's bootleg (not originals).

It would have been more concise to offer several smaller lots, broken down and listed according to the decade the posters were printed or released.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 04:12:40 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 10:39:20 PM »
There WAS going to be a bidding war...

Dale, if you were planning on bidding for the Grindhouse posters you should read the earlier entries in this thread....

« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 10:40:09 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 10:59:42 PM »
Mel, why don't you tell us how much you sold the Grindhouse posters for?  Afraid it was too little, or too much?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 05:38:51 AM »
Question:
Why is the Star Wars lot listed in the Posters > Originals-US > 1970-1979 section? None of these posters are from that decade.
5 are from the 2000's, 4 are from the 1990's, one is a reprint and another is an 80's bootleg (not originals).
It would have been more concise to offer several smaller lots, broken down and listed according to the decade the posters were printed or released.

I'd like to know why the above question has not been answered, which Jeff was completely justified in asking.
You've listed these wrongly, Mel.

Best,
Ad
Best wishes,
Adam

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 08:33:58 AM »
T, I've sent you an answer by PM.

Adam, we both know you're posting for the primary purpose of harassing me, as always, but to answer both your and Jeff's quibbling questions, I'm selling a "mixed lot" of Star Wars posters from various decades.  Both the Star Wars bootleg and Star Wars video can fairly be listed in the 1970s originals.  For example, Cinemasterpieces lists its Star Wars bootleg as a 1970s original.  As far as the Star Wars video, I always list posters by the year of original movie release not the actual year of poster release.  I do this on my own website, as does Thierry and Emovie and numerous others. For example, in tomorrow night's sale Emovie has listed numerous re-releases in earlier decades.  So I've used my seller's discretion to fairly list it in the 1970s.  The buyer - if any buyers show up - will be the ultimate judge of course.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 07:50:45 PM »
Both the Star Wars bootleg and Star Wars video can fairly be listed in the 1970s originals. 

I think this is a stretch to justify something that can be justified much more easily - why does anyone care where Mel lists his posters?  I think any Star Wars poster would make sense in the 1970's category because they all spawned from that one movie so anyone looking in that category might be interested. In fact, the categories are set up to help sellers more than to help buyers.  Typically, if an item is put in the wrong category, it will hurt the seller through lost bids.  That's why ebay allows postings, for a price, to multiple categories.  I don't think it makes a damned bit of difference where the seller wants to list it.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 08:04:57 PM »

I think this is a stretch to justify something that can be justified much more easily - why does anyone care where Mel lists his posters?  I think any Star Wars poster would make sense in the 1970's category because they all spawned from that one movie so anyone looking in that category might be interested. In fact, the categories are set up to help sellers more than to help buyers.  Typically, if an item is put in the wrong category, it will hurt the seller through lost bids.  That's why ebay allows postings, for a price, to multiple categories.  I don't think it makes a damned bit of difference where the seller wants to list it.

Holiday, the point to be made in terms of ebay's categorical formats is the option to list it as an original or reproduction. To list a repro in the original category, with the intent, is misleading to say the least.  It is fine that Mel describes the posters thoroughly and fairly, but the fact remains there are fakes scattered with legit paper in the original category all over the site, and without any further clarification.

Also, I do think the year matters. This is probably a discussion for a different thread, but do you really think its ok to put Episode 1: The Phantom Plot in the 70s? Or say, should Dale put the new Apes poster in the 60s bracket since that is where the source initially came from? Just seems erroneous, I mean at that point, lets do away with everything after 'Poster' in the Movie Memorabilia section.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 08:06:09 PM by wonka »
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 10:48:54 PM »
Holiday, the point to be made in terms of ebay's categorical formats is the option to list it as an original or reproduction. To list a repro in the original category, with the intent, is misleading to say the least.  It is fine that Mel describes the posters thoroughly and fairly, but the fact remains there are fakes scattered with legit paper in the original category all over the site, and without any further clarification.

Also, I do think the year matters. This is probably a discussion for a different thread, but do you really think its ok to put Episode 1: The Phantom Plot in the 70s? Or say, should Dale put the new Apes poster in the 60s bracket since that is where the source initially came from? Just seems erroneous, I mean at that point, lets do away with everything after 'Poster' in the Movie Memorabilia section.

My question was a general one, and i would have asked regardless of who listed this type of lot. IMO, year certainly does matter, when listing posters, especially if there are later reprints or bootlegs involved. All one has to do is look throughout the poster section on ebay and find items thrown in from mixed decades, throughout. Can make for having to scroll thru many pieces that do not belong, and more time consuming than need be.

And as I and others have asked before.. isnt the purpose of a forum to be able to ask questions? Whether it was answered or not, thought of as quibbling, or being too anal, or not, is irrelevant. I looked at the ad, noticed that none of the posters shown were originals from the 1970s, and I offered a possible better way to have listed them. Mel does this (makes suggestions) with great regularity, as do many others. So, it should not be an issue here, simply because the question was directed to this particular member's post and ad.

While some may feel that posters can be listed anywhere, in any category or any decade, there are also a great number who don't agree with that method of listing. I happen to be one of those. I have even occasionally written other sellers on ebay, pointing this same thing out to them. They have all written back and said thanks, especially since listing in a wrong sub category or decade may decrease the number of views their poster receives.

Carry on.

Jeff

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 11:59:50 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 11:41:37 PM »
I think this is a stretch to justify something that can be justified much more easily - why does anyone care where Mel lists his posters?  I think any Star Wars poster would make sense in the 1970's category because they all spawned from that one movie so anyone looking in that category might be interested. In fact, the categories are set up to help sellers more than to help buyers.  Typically, if an item is put in the wrong category, it will hurt the seller through lost bids.  That's why ebay allows postings, for a price, to multiple categories.  I don't think it makes a damned bit of difference where the seller wants to list it.

I am surprised, sahib.
I can see your rationale, but I disagree.
I think a valid question was raised about an Ebay listing issue (and I don't care whether it was Mel, Z, Dale or whoever that posted it) that frustrates me to no end -- misclassified poster listings.
When I see 'originals, 1970-79,' I expect to see originals from the first STAR WARS.  Nothing more. nothing less.
If I didn't know Mel, I'd think the seller was trying to fool me.

Mel does deserve credit for clearly describing each poster and providing a closeup gallery.
In all fairness, how do you categorize a mixed lot of posters from different decades and pedigrees (orig/repro)?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 12:33:44 AM »

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 03:08:05 PM »
Seriously  eyeroll
I couldn't care less if Mel was God, I'd still have said the same thing, so I hope he can do himself a favour and get off his high horse.

If I were him, I'd also think twice about accusing me of harassing him after what he did last year.

Holiday, I quote a fellow collector outside of this forum:
"That Mel guy portrays himself as an expert in posters..."
So, maybe that is the reason why anyone would care about where he lists his posters because when he lists something in the incorrect category people are going to bring it up, which is fair enough. Given the same scenario, I'm pretty sure Jeff would have queried every other novice and advanced collector here, such as yourself.

What got to me was that Jeff humbly offered help to Mel, but it was thrown back in his face first with a no reply, and then with a nice, little backhanded comment "...Jeff's quibbling questions". I just don't get that. Whenever someone tries to help Mel on something he has done wrong, well, he does genuinely become ignorant - that is something no-one can cover up. It's just wrong.

The point is that Mel should NOT have listed the posters in the category he did. And he should just accept that.

If it had been someone else on this forum Mel would have been the first person to jump all over them; questioning their logic, intellect and knowledge. And we all know that, which is more reason why he should act more sincere.

Best,
Ad
Best wishes,
Adam

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 03:52:48 PM »
The point is that Mel should NOT have listed the posters in the category he did. And he should just accept that.
Best,
Ad

Wow, Adam, after those dozens of emails you wrote me whining and crying about how I had "ruined your life" and how you were going to sue me, I didn't think it was possible for you to be any stupider or more pathetic but you've managed to do it.  As anybody can see, almost all of your posts in the last two months have been attacks agaist me or shilling your posters.  I suggest you go beg your Daddy to buy you some more Bond posters and then you can take credit for them. Or maybe you should spend the 1200 pounds you got selling that Goldfinger poster on some psychological help. You have no value around here and as far I can tell you've never accomplished anything significant as a collector on your own. As far as Jeff, you have no idea what his motivations are. I do. Suffice it to say that you've chosen your allies poorly.

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 04:00:40 PM »
  ;D All right, thats enough you two. If you both don't knock it off, I am putting you both in the corner and putting your accounts on time out for two weeks.  :-*

Seriously though, I am tired of the bickering..its all useless nonsense.

Cj

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 04:06:48 PM »
  ;D All right, thats enough you two. If you both don't knock it off, I am putting you both in the corner and putting your accounts on time out for two weeks.  :-*

Seriously though, I am tired of the bickering..its all useless nonsense.

Cj

CJ, that's fine but I specifically asked you and the other moderators to ask Adam to stop communicating with me and responding to my posts but you refused to do so  It's very clear that every time I post something Adam is going to jump with an asinine attack.  I have no choice but to respond.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 04:15:31 PM »
Just for general info,some of this could easily be cured by doing THIS

Stew

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 05:10:31 PM »
CJ, that's fine but I specifically asked you and the other moderators to ask Adam to stop communicating with me and responding to my posts but you refused to do so  It's very clear that every time I post something Adam is going to jump with an asinine attack.  I have no choice but to respond.

Mel, I was only kidding about the remark regarding yours and Adams accounts, as I would never do that.

My comment about the bickering was serious and directed towards both of you hoping both of you would just stop attacking one another.

Cj

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2011, 05:30:35 PM »
It's very clear that every time I post something Adam is going to jump with an asinine attack.  I have no choice but to respond.
Unfortunately, this forum doesn't have the "ignore member" function, so you have to learn to do it all by yourself :)

Trust me, I am not going to think less of you based on something Adam says.  Adam's responses only affect how I relate to Adam.  Now carry that a step further...
-Jay-

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2011, 05:32:32 PM »
There is a function to ignore a member..i just posted it...

Stew