Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2846736 times)

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #3775 on: December 08, 2012, 03:58:45 PM »
Besides, if every person who stated quite clearly their collection (or parts of it) were not for sale didn't change their mind we wouldn't have American Pickers...
David

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #3776 on: December 08, 2012, 04:41:29 PM »
Dollars to doughnuts people will still email to 'check'...
Yup - I have, and nine times out of ten they haven't sold.

But, on the tenth time, they Have sold.

...and I have made about 100 such enquiries - and doing the maths offers some insight to the results.

But the suggestion to put the Not For Sale sign on the Contact page might discourage some.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3777 on: December 08, 2012, 04:45:29 PM »
i regularly get requests for prices in my Comic Art gallery on the comicartfans website.
I don't mind the requests, however, these donkeys apparently never remember who they have contacted in the past & I keep getting inquiries from people who have repeatedly turned down my price.

for instance, I have a 4 page Cheech Wizard story by Vaughn Bode that I want $30k for. one guy keeps asking if I will sell a page for $1500 and every time I tell him no. Next time I'm telling him to go fuck himself.
Sadly, he is not alone.

Another asshole - a well heeled one - asked me about the same story. At the time, I was not selling (right now I'm looking for real estate - I'm selling!), so I took the usual attitude when I'm not selling: I'll listen to offers.

well he wanted me to quote a price. Hey.. I wasn't planning on selling and you contacted me, not the other way around, so if you want to make me sell, make me an offer. We went on like this back and forth for numerous emails over about a week until finally I said "look, you contacted me. If you're interested in the art, make me offer or stop bothering me".. 2 days later the dumb fuck asked me to give him a price. Some people just don't get it. But facts are, I've been dealing with idiots like these for 46 years, which is why I've become such a hard ass over time. I used to have a much greater tolerance level for these fools than I have today.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 04:46:34 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3778 on: December 08, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »
There's really no 100% way around it other then to close down your site

You know, I've actually thought about it a few times.  The original purpose of my website was for me to check my collection.  I never thought anyone else would be interested.  Then we started this forum and I now get about 100 visitors a day.  But at the end of the day, I don't care if people check my stuff or not.  It can actually work against me and give people ideas of what to collect, thus creating extra competition.  So removing it from the internet is not a crazy idea.  I haven't done it because I know of a few people who enjoy visiting it, but the nagging can be extremely annoying.

T
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 05:10:18 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #3779 on: December 08, 2012, 05:30:13 PM »
You know, I've actually thought about it a few times.  The original purpose of my website was for me to check my collection.  I never thought anyone else would be interested.  Then we started this forum and I now get about 100 visitors a day.  But at the end of the day, I don't care if people check my stuff or not.  It can actually work against me and give people ideas of what to collect, thus creating extra competition.  So removing it from the internet is not a crazy idea.  I haven't done it because I know of a few people who enjoy visiting it, but the nagging can be extremely annoying.

T

If you are thinking of going the shut down route I would leave the site up and just password protect it so only you and those you give access to can enter it. Another option is add a spam filter through your email program or provider to weed out sales inquiries based on keywords/phrases. Another solution is to remove your email address from the site which I recommend no matter what from a spam point of view and add an actual contact page with a filter added that will weed out and automatically scrap or respond not for sale or something similar to any messages containing requests to purchase. As someone who develops these things for sites all the time I can tell you it is not that difficult at all to have a developer add it to your site.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3780 on: December 08, 2012, 05:31:10 PM »
Dollars to doughnuts people will still email to 'check'...

This way I wouldn't feel bad ignoring their email as I know they already know the answer

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3781 on: December 08, 2012, 06:02:48 PM »
which is why I've become such a hard ass over time.

I thought it was all the Pilates!
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3782 on: December 08, 2012, 06:03:02 PM »
Speaking of poster websites, T...I did notice this slightly damaged, newly-acquired Bardot beauty at eatbrie.com.
That's you, right? Would you consider selling it?
I sent an email...
 wynk

Beautiful poster, T.
 cheers

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3783 on: December 08, 2012, 06:09:31 PM »
One piece at a time, Ted, one piece at a time.  Last time we talked, I was at 80, I think.  Now I'm at 140, with 10,000 more to get ;)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3785 on: December 08, 2012, 07:16:08 PM »
One of the members here (not me) bought that LoA.

Who? Not gonna say but it's publicly available info.  He may or may not post it here.

Maybe Thierry can send him an email asking him to sell it cheap  8)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 07:18:56 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #3787 on: December 08, 2012, 07:58:06 PM »
The original purpose of my website was for me to check my collection.

That's my reason exactly, it's the only way I can conveniently view my collection without sifting through "the pile."  I do nothing to publicize it or increase traffic (well, except my FS sig), and you pretty much have to be looking for some obscure title to get it to come up on teh Google at all.  Suits me fine.

Oh, and Rich, I'll give you $1500 for that Cheech Wizard art...

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3790 on: December 08, 2012, 08:56:08 PM »
Y'all need to get right with the poster gods, cause the LoA one sheets are some of the best one sheets ever produced.  $7K was typical fair market value for Style A. Personally, I prefer the roadshow style, which sold for $4.5K recently:

« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 08:57:26 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3791 on: December 09, 2012, 01:31:28 AM »
A 1980s repro poster for the Polish version of Sunset Boulevard sold on Dec 6th for $700.00

Originals have the printer's info on the left side near the bottom, running vertically up the poster, in small, black print.

This copy is lacking the printer's info. emovie has sold a number of the reproductions and they, too, lack the printer's mark.
That this was a repro should have been mentioned in the description, IMO, even though an original would sell for thousands.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUNSET-BOULEVARD-res-sign-WILLIAM-HOLDEN-BILLY-WILDER-1950-MOVIE-POSTER-/140882957512?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cd4754c8&nma=true&si=VOPMNTs0cmFSTAS7QpmoSEnSBuI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

emovie's image showing the original with the print info on the left edge, near the bottom. Tiny but it is visible:

« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 01:32:07 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #3792 on: December 09, 2012, 02:24:50 AM »

Maybe one of the ugliest movie posters ever made, as with 99.99% of all the other Polish "art" posters.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3793 on: December 09, 2012, 03:30:18 AM »
It always reminded me of a bird shedding its feathers.  wynk

-Jeff

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #3794 on: December 09, 2012, 04:20:26 AM »
It always reminded me of a bird shedding its feathers.  wynk

Reminds me of Tiffany.  She left a pick axe sticking out of my car windshield.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3795 on: December 09, 2012, 05:17:11 PM »

Who is this Tiffany?  8)

Bruce

« Reply #3796 on: December 09, 2012, 05:20:13 PM »
How old is she? Is she single? I have a son who would probably love her just on that description!

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #3797 on: December 09, 2012, 05:24:27 PM »

Was there a second clue the relationship might be over? Just so you were absolutely sure.  :-\
David

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3798 on: December 10, 2012, 12:01:32 AM »
Was there a second clue the relationship might be over? Just so you were absolutely sure.  :-\

laugh1

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3799 on: December 10, 2012, 01:54:40 PM »
I wonder if that Vertigo is one of Dave's "it's NOT faded" examples?
Chris