Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2846898 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #2926 on: June 09, 2012, 02:54:41 PM »
I was going to say, didn't the Americans call Fists of Fury, The Chinese Connection on it's first release...?

As The Big Boss was called Fists of Fury in the States...Strange how those Americans keep changing the titles of films.... eyeroll
It's more than a Hobby...

Bruce

« Reply #2927 on: June 09, 2012, 03:49:12 PM »
I am sure Tang knows me than me, but this is what we have assembled (he is welcome to correct or add to it):

Tang shan da xiong, the classic 1971 (released in the U.S. in 1973 as "Fists of Fury" and as "The Big Boss") Lo Wei Hong Kong kung fu martial arts thriller ("Karate/Kung-Fu!"; "The new screen excitement that gives you the biggest kick of your life!"; "Karate/Kung-Fu! The oriental sensation - now gives America the action its been waiting for!") starring Bruce Lee ("every limb of his body is a lethal weapon"), Maria Yi, Han Ying Chieh, Tony Liu, and Malalene. Note that this movie (and "The Chinese Connection") received very limited release in the United States until after the success of "Enter the Dragon", at which point both movies received wide U.S. releases!

Jing Wu Men (released in the U.S. in 1973 as "The Chinese Connection" and as "Fist of Fury", which makes a confusing situation even more confusing, since Lee's other early hit was "Fists of Fury"!), the classic 1972 Lo Wei Hong Kong kung fu martial arts fighting action crime thriller ("Unstoppable! Unbelievable! Unbeatable!"; "The Master of Karate/ Kung Fu is back to break you up, smash you down, and kick you apart with 'The Chinese Connection'"; produced by Raymond Chow) starring Bruce Lee ("The greatest exponent in the art of kung-fu"), Maria Yi, Nora Miao, Robert Baker, and James Tien. Note that this movie (and "Fists of Fury") received very limited release in the United States until after the success of "Enter the Dragon", at which point both movies received wide U.S. releases!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2930 on: June 10, 2012, 12:51:17 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item564a92e4b6&item=370618328246&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=vM3nF5KEs7T43EmdLUHHstXMRsQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

If it's real, seems like an OK price.  Wish I had the $$$...

Interesting bid history on this poster, too. Aside from someone early on who bid 10.00, the 12 bid, "bidding war" was happening with the same 3 people. Two have feedbacks of well over 2000 (2198 and 2297), and the third==== a feedback of 1.

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2931 on: June 10, 2012, 01:35:08 PM »
Very cool and seemingly well-worth the price....

Bruce

« Reply #2932 on: June 10, 2012, 01:39:49 PM »
It may be that it is drymounted or has border issues. I told the seller to take it out of the frame, whether he auctioned it himself or gave it to us, but he didn't listen. He either did great or OK, depending on condition.

You just don't see very many posters like this offered (Dave has a line that truly applies here) so that inflates the price whenever items like this do show.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic

-Jeff

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #2934 on: June 10, 2012, 02:08:26 PM »
This time I was only $5,000 short.  :D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 02:29:32 PM by Zorba »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2935 on: June 10, 2012, 02:27:13 PM »
This seller has some amazing pieces lately
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2936 on: June 10, 2012, 02:30:46 PM »
This seller has some amazing pieces lately

That is for sure. And making some nice sales, too.  thumbup

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2937 on: June 10, 2012, 03:40:20 PM »
It may be that it is drymounted or has border issues. I told the seller to take it out of the frame, whether he auctioned it himself or gave it to us, but he didn't listen. He either did great or OK, depending on condition.

You just don't see very many posters like this offered (Dave has a line that truly applies here) so that inflates the price whenever items like this do show.

I told him the same thing.  Maybe he peaked behind the frame and decided it would be better for the buyer to find out that it was dry-mounted *after* the auction!  If it is unbacked it looks to be in killer condition.

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #2938 on: June 11, 2012, 11:25:07 AM »
I am sure Tang knows me than me, but this is what we have assembled (he is welcome to correct or add to it):

Tang shan da xiong, the classic 1971 (released in the U.S. in 1973 as "Fists of Fury" and as "The Big Boss") Lo Wei Hong Kong kung fu martial arts thriller ("Karate/Kung-Fu!"; "The new screen excitement that gives you the biggest kick of your life!"; "Karate/Kung-Fu! The oriental sensation - now gives America the action its been waiting for!") starring Bruce Lee ("every limb of his body is a lethal weapon"), Maria Yi, Han Ying Chieh, Tony Liu, and Malalene. Note that this movie (and "The Chinese Connection") received very limited release in the United States until after the success of "Enter the Dragon", at which point both movies received wide U.S. releases!

Jing Wu Men (released in the U.S. in 1973 as "The Chinese Connection" and as "Fist of Fury", which makes a confusing situation even more confusing, since Lee's other early hit was "Fists of Fury"!), the classic 1972 Lo Wei Hong Kong kung fu martial arts fighting action crime thriller ("Unstoppable! Unbelievable! Unbeatable!"; "The Master of Karate/ Kung Fu is back to break you up, smash you down, and kick you apart with 'The Chinese Connection'"; produced by Raymond Chow) starring Bruce Lee ("The greatest exponent in the art of kung-fu"), Maria Yi, Nora Miao, Robert Baker, and James Tien. Note that this movie (and "Fists of Fury") received very limited release in the United States until after the success of "Enter the Dragon", at which point both movies received wide U.S. releases!

I just call em by their H.K english/U.K titles ;)

This is Greek vhs poster , not from US......

Bruce

« Reply #2939 on: June 11, 2012, 08:24:59 PM »
I don't know what the heck I would have done with these had I won them, but I had to bid, because they are wickedly cool. I didn't get them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/295-TITLE-CARDS-FROM-1921-ALL-BLACK-CAST-LOST-SILENT-FILM-THE-BULL-DOGGER-/320917729137?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab82fef71&autorefresh=true

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2940 on: June 11, 2012, 08:32:24 PM »
I don't know what the heck I would have done with these had I won them, but I had to bid, because they are wickedly cool. I didn't get them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/295-TITLE-CARDS-FROM-1921-ALL-BLACK-CAST-LOST-SILENT-FILM-THE-BULL-DOGGER-/320917729137?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab82fef71&autorefresh=true

Wow - REAL title cards!
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #2941 on: June 11, 2012, 09:54:34 PM »
they are great, I hope JK gets them somehow.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2942 on: June 11, 2012, 10:13:45 PM »
This was crazy.  The seller called it a "reproduction Motorpsycho" but it appeared to be original.  Several savvy bidders figured it out.  It went from $10 to $387 in the last 10 ten seconds.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2943 on: June 11, 2012, 10:16:17 PM »
Looks like you should have bid more aggressively Mel ;)
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #2944 on: June 11, 2012, 10:20:08 PM »
FARK and I have a guy after this, I didnt see, that will learn me. If legit thats a bargain.
An Error Has Occurred!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2945 on: June 11, 2012, 10:21:39 PM »
I should have checked the number of watchers.  I thought it was "too good to be true" so I put in a half-ass bid just for laughs....

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #2946 on: June 11, 2012, 10:37:44 PM »
Imagine the $ the seller would have got if posted in MID auctions thread.  ;D
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #2947 on: June 11, 2012, 11:22:10 PM »

;D

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2948 on: June 11, 2012, 11:25:39 PM »

Yeah but it would never get posted there because Mel was interested in bidding on it  :-*
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2949 on: June 12, 2012, 01:31:30 AM »
Shame No one outed it on the forum..... ;)
It's more than a Hobby...