Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2846729 times)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1675 on: November 15, 2011, 09:48:03 PM »
I hate this extended auction stuff Bruce I really do, snipe it and forget about it is my type of auction.

If the auction gets a bid right at closing and it does not go past the current high bidders proxy, does that extend it or is it over at the scheduled time?

Bruce

« Reply #1676 on: November 15, 2011, 10:30:10 PM »
Five minutes must pass with no bid. So ANY bid placed within five minutes of the auction end extends it until five minutes after that bid was placed, whether or not the bid resulted in a new high bidder.

Bruce

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1677 on: November 15, 2011, 10:37:33 PM »
I am SO glad Ebay doesn't play this game.  A nice clean snipe within 2 seconds of the end... and game over.  This is how I like my bidding.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1678 on: November 15, 2011, 11:21:20 PM »
Did Hammersveld do that?  Reminds me of his Endless Summer design... and it was the same director as well.

Don't know but they are very groovy-cool:

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1679 on: November 16, 2011, 12:55:56 AM »
I don't see any similarity between the above-posted posters.  None whatsoever.  wynk

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #1680 on: November 16, 2011, 06:26:44 AM »
I don't see any similarity between the above-posted posters.  None whatsoever.  wynk

Both are too expensive??  :)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

dhart3

« Reply #1681 on: November 16, 2011, 10:53:56 AM »
I am SO glad Ebay doesn't play this game.  A nice clean snipe within 2 seconds of the end... and game over.  This is how I like my bidding.

I totally agree.  I hate the extended bidding.   Based on the number of tue/thur where I wasn't able to be at my computer, he's lost money from me.  At a minimum, it shouldn't go into extended bidding unless there's a new high bidder.  That would at least minimize the number of 'fish' bidding that goes on in the last 5 min,  someone who places 50 $5 incremental bids trying to find the top.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1682 on: November 16, 2011, 11:18:35 AM »
I totally agree.  I hate the extended bidding.   Based on the number of tue/thur where I wasn't able to be at my computer, he's lost money from me.  At a minimum, it shouldn't go into extended bidding unless there's a new high bidder.  That would at least minimize the number of 'fish' bidding that goes on in the last 5 min,  someone who places 50 $5 incremental bids trying to find the top.

Well said, Danny, I couldn't agree more.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Bruce

« Reply #1683 on: November 16, 2011, 11:19:24 AM »
"Based on the number of tue/thur where I wasn't able to be at my computer, he's lost money from me."

Therefore, if I follow this, the extended bidding resulted in LOWER prices for those who were at their computers (or who left bids). Don't most bidders WANT lower prices?

But if extended bidding results in lower prices, how come no consignor ever complains about it?

Bruce

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1684 on: November 16, 2011, 11:25:11 AM »
Bruce, did you read what Danny said about extending bidding ONLY if there is a new high bidder?  Does that seem crazy to you?
My Personal Collection

dhart3

« Reply #1685 on: November 16, 2011, 11:37:26 AM »
Therefore, if I follow this, the extended bidding resulted in LOWER prices for those who were at their computers (or who left bids). Don't most bidders WANT lower prices?

What a spin!  Always selling!  It's amazing how you can turn anything into a sales pitch.  That's quite a talent. 

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #1686 on: November 16, 2011, 11:42:16 AM »
I guess people just don't use common sense.  If they simply bid their best price before the deadline, we wouldn't need any of this.  The problem is that people keep thinking like this is a normal in-person auction where you bid just enough to win.  Doesn't help at all with proxy bidding.

And to the others, it shouldn't make a difference for snipong either if everyone played fair.  The people who complain are those that don't like the fact that others have a chance to react to snipes.  I have always felt that the practice of sniping is dishonest and artificial.
-Jay-

Bruce

« Reply #1687 on: November 16, 2011, 12:21:01 PM »
"Bruce, did you read what Danny said about extending bidding ONLY if there is a new high bidder?  Does that seem crazy to you?"

It doesn't seem crazy, but it is not how the software works, and it would likely be very hard to do it this way, but I am not technically savvy. The auction software is from our auction host, auctionanything.com and only they can change it.

The thing about the current system is that there MUST be five minutes with no bidding for an auction to end.

When we first left eBay, hundreds of people swore they would never bid in time-extended auctions, but one by one almost all of them have returned. After all, if you watch a poster sell for less than you would have paid "on principle", then aren't you cutting off your nose to spite your face?

But those who have huge philosophical objections to time extensions should not bid, so that they feel better, and so that those who do bid pay lower prices.

Bruce

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1688 on: November 16, 2011, 12:51:04 PM »
When we first left eBay, hundreds of people swore they would never bid in time-extended auctions, but one by one almost all of them have returned. After all, if you watch a poster sell for less than you would have paid "on principle", then aren't you cutting off your nose to spite your face?

I was one of these people, but I like posters more.

But those who have huge philosophical objections to time extensions should not bid, so that they feel better, and so that those who do bid pay lower prices.

I still disagree with the system (which is not buyer friendly), but I like posters more.

My Personal Collection

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #1689 on: November 16, 2011, 04:32:02 PM »
Extended just costs me posters I want. A lot of times there are too many to go back to so I put a reasonable bid in and lose 90% of the time. There is not a poster that has been printed that I like enough to put a stupid bid on just to make sure I win it.

Bruce

« Reply #1690 on: November 16, 2011, 05:59:31 PM »
Haven't you guys lost tons of posters on eBay to last second snipers?

If you lose more in our auctions, it is solely because it is a fact of life that more people follow our auctions than all of eBay's (because they have ruined their site).

Bruce

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #1691 on: November 16, 2011, 06:07:07 PM »
Haven't you guys lost tons of posters on eBay to last second snipers?

If you lose more in our auctions, it is solely because it is a fact of life that more people follow our auctions than all of eBay's (because they have ruined their site).

Bruce

You have to agree,it`s no longer e-bay its more e-shop..

Stew

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1692 on: November 16, 2011, 06:11:33 PM »

Stew

+1  thumbup

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #1693 on: November 16, 2011, 06:22:13 PM »
Thierry I completely disagree that extended bidding is not buyer friendly

I bid on a lot of Bruce stuff ad because of the extended bidding, my win ratio is definitely higher than it was before, and I never lose anything I wanted really, really, really bad now.
I even remember 2 times I was here at the warehouse in teh back, forgot I was bidding on an item, ran up front & got a bid in with 1 second left after it had already been extended and won both times from the final extension. Had the items not already been extended, I would not have been able to get in another bid

Truly, if an item sells for more than I want to pay because of an extended bidding situation, there is no doubt that I absolutely was able to give it my best shot, which you rarely do when sniping on ebay

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1694 on: November 16, 2011, 06:23:41 PM »
Stew

that is pretty much true and the $%$&^% damn free listings every week teh last 2 months have ruined the ability to look for auctions because of the massive clutter

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Bruce

« Reply #1695 on: November 16, 2011, 06:26:40 PM »
My sense is that we have more auction sales each week (both by volume and by dollar) than all of eBay, once you take out the repros, the fakes, the unpaid for items, etc.

And that is so sad. If eBay was not run by fools, they could still have all the movie poster auctions AND still have a "for sale" site like what they already have.

Bruce

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #1696 on: November 16, 2011, 06:29:34 PM »
Thierry I completely disagree that extended bidding is not buyer friendly

I bid on a lot of Bruce stuff ad because of the extended bidding, my win ratio is definitely higher than it was before, and I never lose anything I wanted really, really, really bad now.
I even remember 2 times I was here at the warehouse in teh back, forgot I was bidding on an item, ran up front & got a bid in with 1 second left after it had already been extended and won both times from the final extension. Had the items not already been extended, I would not have been able to get in another bid

Truly, if an item sells for more than I want to pay because of an extended bidding situation, there is no doubt that I absolutely was able to give it my best shot, which you rarely do when sniping on ebay
I would just like to say,I am anti sniping,..to me its lazy.
Why take the excitement out of bidding live?

Stew

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1697 on: November 16, 2011, 06:33:18 PM »
that is pretty much true and the $%$&^% damn free listings every week teh last 2 months have ruined the ability to look for auctions because of the massive clutter

I was wondering about that. The number of auction listings has tripled and looking through them is grueling. I bet even Harry Caul - an Olympian auction browser - has given up!

Charlie

« Reply #1698 on: November 16, 2011, 07:12:41 PM »

I love it! So much stuff will just fall through the cracks. I'm talking deep discounts all freaking week! 

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1699 on: November 16, 2011, 07:21:21 PM »
I love it! So much stuff will just fall through the cracks. I'm talking deep discounts all freaking week! 

that's for all you slackers who have 24/7 to surf

I have work to do to keep you slackers all happy

-------