Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2846802 times)

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1625 on: November 06, 2011, 04:53:25 PM »
£500! Jeez... that's utterly bonkers  :o :o
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1627 on: November 06, 2011, 05:07:14 PM »
Can someone tell me why people are even attracted to this poster?  I never bought it because I always thought it was so ugly.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #1628 on: November 06, 2011, 05:11:55 PM »
Can someone tell me why people are even attracted to this poster?  I never bought it because I always thought it was so ugly.

T

The film is kind of a modern horror classic, and IMO the poster looks good. Just not GBP 500.00 good...
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1629 on: November 06, 2011, 05:12:35 PM »
Well, I for one think its a beauty.  And that film scared the pants off me as a little one... I think I saw it when I was like 11 or 12!  (rocks back and forth in fetal position) I can still hear his knives/fingers screeching across the hand rail down in the boiler room!  Everyone gets attached to the movies from their childhood, and clearly horror is probably the most influential genre to our hobby.  This flick is probably one of, if not the most important horror movies of the 80s.  In retrospect, I think "The Thing" is a much better movie.  But as a wee one, I never even heard of The Thing.  EVERYONE'S heard of Freddy.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 05:15:37 PM by Harry Caul »

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1630 on: November 06, 2011, 05:14:07 PM »

Its not a unicorn?   :P

Matt I love the post auction commentary. Holy balls indeed.

BTW. I do not dislike the poster.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1631 on: November 06, 2011, 05:14:41 PM »

T

NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET quad ugly?
I think Humphries did a brilliant job.

The BACK TO THE FUTURE poster...now that's ugly.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1632 on: November 06, 2011, 05:16:01 PM »
NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET quad ugly?
I think Humphries did a brilliant job.

The BACK TO THE FUTURE poster...now that's ugly.

+1

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #1633 on: November 06, 2011, 05:22:55 PM »
they are both boring posters

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #1634 on: November 06, 2011, 05:27:07 PM »
they are both boring posters

Only comparing them with those Haggards..  ;)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #1635 on: November 06, 2011, 05:36:22 PM »
Only comparing them with those Haggards..  ;)

the one I think is really hilarious is Crab Haggards.. the body position and his smile just says how overjoyed he is

and of course, those big red lips on Bride of Haggard and that crazy hair are just too funny.
On Bride, I actually did make a "frankencard"
I sanded down a vintage lobby card to get rid of the image, and pasted a full size print onto that & had it displayed at Cinevent in 2010.. Many dealers and collectors came by asking "I heard about the Bride of Haggard card. Where is it, I'd love to see it". It gave everyone huge laughs.. Oh by the way.. it was $25,000, but I haven't sold it, if anyone is interested

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #1636 on: November 06, 2011, 05:38:12 PM »
I still don't know why people bid early. If every bidder refrained from bidding until the final seconds, with a mass snipe blitz, the final price might have reached $20

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #1637 on: November 06, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
To each their own.  The NOES quad is the LAST poster I would sell.  As mentioned, it is a modern classic.

Conor  
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1638 on: November 06, 2011, 05:41:47 PM »
I still don't know why people bid early.

I always thought it was cause they wanted to screw me.  :P

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1639 on: November 06, 2011, 05:44:11 PM »
I don't know who this Humphries dude is, but based on NOES, I'm not a fan.  Tastes differ, Ted.  You seem to love the guy who did the Hobo With a Shotgun poster, and I think it's atrocious (even though I own it because I got it for free.)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1640 on: November 06, 2011, 06:42:28 PM »
I don't know who this Humphries dude is, but based on NOES, I'm not a fan.  Tastes differ, Ted.  You seem to love the guy who did the Hobo With a Shotgun poster, and I think it's atrocious (even though I own it because I got it for free.)

T

You never cease to amaze me.
For a guy with an arts background and a huge collection of movie posters, you come up with a blank stare on many of the artists who make our hobby so damn cool.
The world is not just Stout, Struzan and Grinsson...

Graham Humphreys is the genius behind many memorable UK quads from the 80s. Here is his website: http://www.grahamhumphreys.com/
APF member ed209uk conducted a great, in-depth interview with him here: http://www.filmonpaper.com/blog/an-interview-with-graham-humphreys/
You should read it. I read every word of it when he posted it to this forum and found it very informative. Thanks, Eddie!

As for Tom Hodge, if you think his art is "atrocious" and you got HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN for free, maybe you should pass it on to someone who cares. Like me.  wynk

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #1641 on: November 06, 2011, 07:09:52 PM »
Cheers Ted. I'm a big fan of Graham's work and IMO his quad for The Evil Dead is one of the best horror posters of all time.

With that being said, collecting posters would be a frustrating hobby if we all liked the same thing!
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1642 on: November 06, 2011, 07:40:56 PM »
With that being said, collecting posters would be a frustrating hobby if we all liked the same thing!

This is true.
The world would suck if we all had the same opinion.
 cheers

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1643 on: November 06, 2011, 07:50:01 PM »
You never cease to amaze me.
For a guy with an arts background and a huge collection of movie posters, you come up with a blank stare on many of the artists who make our hobby so damn cool.
The world is not just Stout, Struzan and Grinsson...

Graham Humphreys is the genius behind many memorable UK quads from the 80s. Here is his website: http://www.grahamhumphreys.com/
APF member ed209uk conducted a great, in-depth interview with him here: http://www.filmonpaper.com/blog/an-interview-with-graham-humphreys/
You should read it. I read every word of it when he posted it to this forum and found it very informative. Thanks, Eddie!

As for Tom Hodge, if you think his art is "atrocious" and you got HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN for free, maybe you should pass it on to someone who cares. Like me.  wynk

I may never cease to amaze you (which is a good thing), but what you just said doesn't make any sense to me at all.

First, as we all know, art is super subjective.  Second, because I have an art background and a collection of posters doesn't oblige me to like what I find displeasing to the eye.  Which, like Ed said, is probably a good thing for collectors.  There are many artists, past Stout, Struzan or Grinsson, that I like, just not the two you mentioned, and it is my prerogative, Ted.  I don't think it makes me less of an art lover, dumber or whatever you want to call it.  It is true that I have very classical tastes when it comes to fine art.  I like older stuff, I grew up with French Impressionism, and as a general rule, I am not too impressed with modern art past Picasso or Matisse.  It doesn't mean that I hate it all, it just means that I am more selective and more inclined to turn my back on it.  Art to me should not be aggressive, but pleasing, melodious.  What I see of the two artists above, along with people like Strausfeld, makes me grimace, and not in a good way.  I'm sorry if you don't like it, but this is the way I feel.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #1644 on: November 06, 2011, 07:55:13 PM »

odd-couple-posters by CJHORROR, on Flickr

Much love,
Conor
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1645 on: November 06, 2011, 08:02:06 PM »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1646 on: November 06, 2011, 08:42:13 PM »
I may never cease to amaze you (which is a good thing), but what you just said doesn't make any sense to me at all.

First, as we all know, art is super subjective.  Second, because I have an art background and a collection of posters doesn't oblige me to like what I find displeasing to the eye.  Which, like Ed said, is probably a good thing for collectors.  There are many artists, past Stout, Struzan or Grinsson, that I like, just not the two you mentioned, and it is my prerogative, Ted.  I don't think it makes me less of an art lover, dumber or whatever you want to call it.  It is true that I have very classical tastes when it comes to fine art.  I like older stuff, I grew up with French Impressionism, and as a general rule, I am not too impressed with modern art past Picasso or Matisse.  It doesn't mean that I hate it all, it just means that I am more selective and more inclined to turn my back on it.  Art to me should not be aggressive, but pleasing, melodious.  What I see of the two artists above, along with people like Strausfeld, makes me grimace, and not in a good way.  I'm sorry if you don't like it, but this is the way I feel.

T

Did I miss something here?
I didn't ask you to like what you find "displeasing to the eye."
Personally, I could care less whether you like the works of Humphreys and Hodge.
Your loss, not mine.  wynk

What puzzles me is your utter disinterest in learning more about this art form and the artists responsible, especially when it is right under your nose.
Eddie went to a lot of effort to educate the rest of us in the work of Graham Humphreys by sharing his exclusive interview on this very forum.
I'm sure many of us read it.  Why you didn't is of no concern of mine.
But to say "I don't know who this Humphries dude is" after that post boggles my mind.

On the other hand, I routinely research poster artists that I learn of on this forum.
Before Eddie posted his Humphreys interview, I was unaware of the man's body of work.
That read broadened my horizons and further honed my assessment of the artistic abilities of others.
The appreciation of art -- and the development of a collection -- is a personal evolution we enthusiasts all go through.
Trust me, I don't want anyone to like what I like because I like it.
Variety is the spice of life.
 cheers

(Now, ship me that "atrocious" HOBO, you narrow-minded bastard!  wynk)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #1647 on: November 06, 2011, 08:46:52 PM »

T

Best poster to come out of the 80's.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1648 on: November 06, 2011, 09:00:24 PM »
It's already up on my website, it's buried somewhere in roll 3 of 2011, and I only have one of those posters, so I can't send it to you.  What comes in never leaves.  Plus, Dale has one for $22, you cheap bastard.  Buy it, if you love it so much.

And sorry if I don't read everything on the forum.  Luckily enough, we're thriving.  If Ed had posted on MPF, I would have had all the time in the world to read it... Months, maybe.  No, in all seriousness, I probably saw it (or didn't, I really don't know) and did not read it because I don't like the guy.  

My father, who was arguably one of the world's most esteemed art dealers, said something very smart to me one day.  I think we were at the Met.  It went something like this: Art connects your heart to your brain.  You may feel for something, and not understand it, or you may find something interesting, but feel no connection to it.  What makes a piece complete to the viewer is when the heart and the brain converge to make one.  If a piece does one and not the other, don't try to force it, just keep walking until you find what speaks to you.  You will then have a chance to see the entire museum and not get tired or frustrated half way through.

This is why I didn't read Ed's post.  I just kept walking to something that appealed to me.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1649 on: November 06, 2011, 09:06:36 PM »
My father, who was arguably one of the world's most esteemed art dealers, said something very smart to me one day.  I think we were at the Met.  It went something like this: Art connects your heart to your brain.  You may feel for something, and not understand it, or you may find something interesting, but feel no connection to it.  What makes a piece complete to the viewer is when the heart and the brain converge to make one.  If a piece does one and not the other, don't try to force it, just keep walking until you find what speaks to you. You will then have a chance to see the entire museum and not get tired or frustrated half way through.

That is a very interesting and thought-provoking lesson your father shared with you.
Thanks for sharing it with us.
 thumbup