Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2865256 times)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #11100 on: January 13, 2024, 12:09:07 AM »
It's not what you said, worry not.  I just feels that social media has turned everyone into experts.  Everybody has something to say about everything.  It's ridiculous.  And I seriously do not understand what being a poster expert means.  We're talking about printed paper, right?  There are no experts, only people with opinions.  And you know what people say about opinions, they're like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.

T

By definition, an expert is someone who exists at some top percentile of experience and knowledge related to a subject.  Those people exist in every field, though do not ask me to tell you who they are in this instance.  Truth always exists next to opinion.  One of the hallmarks of an expert is that their opinion is often truth or a near overlay thereof.  Or, because of the aforementioned experience and knowledge, their opinion forms truth.  Similarly, a hallmark of assholes (since you brought them up) is that they cannot except anyone else's opinion might actually be truth or closer to truth than their own.  Truth exists, but there are always assholes who think they smell an opinion because they are blinded by their own stink.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 02:52:42 AM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #11101 on: January 13, 2024, 02:55:31 PM »
a hallmark of assholes (since you brought them up) is that they cannot except anyone else's opinion might actually be truth or closer to truth than their own. 

When people form their opinion, based on their experience and knowledge, that is contrary to others' opinion, that doesn't necessarily deem them worthy of a derogatory label, IMO.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #11102 on: January 13, 2024, 04:48:39 PM »
When people form their opinion, based on their experience and knowledge, that is contrary to others' opinion, that doesn't necessarily deem them worthy of a derogatory label, IMO.

No, but when they form that opinion based on ONLY their experience and knowledge while willfully ignoring or dismissing others' experience and knowledge that is of significantly greater breadth and depth..........that is worthy of a derogatory label.  And to be clear, I didn't enter down the line of discussion with anyone here in mind.  I did disagree with the statement that "there are no experts" though, and decided to press a little farther with the age old "....are like assholes" analogy  since it was contained in the same statement.  T, I apologize if it seemed that way, because I certainly didn't mean it that way at all.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 05:02:42 PM by kovacs01 »
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #11103 on: January 13, 2024, 06:00:57 PM »
No, but when they form that opinion based on ONLY their experience and knowledge while willfully ignoring or dismissing others' experience and knowledge that is of significantly greater breadth and depth..........

I see what you mean.  It's a slippery slope when one goes about labeling folks with derogatory names over disagreements, but it's people's right to label others if they choose to, of course.  It was nice of you to clear up that you weren't speaking about anyone in particular in this instance.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #11104 on: January 13, 2024, 06:15:11 PM »
I see what you mean.  It's a slippery slope when one goes about labeling folks with derogatory names over disagreements, but it's people's right to label others if they choose to, of course.  It was nice of you to clear up that you weren't speaking about anyone in particular in this instance.

Yeah, I was certainainly not implying that T or anyone else here is the thing I described.  I was labelling a type of person, not any person in particular, and certainly not him just because it was a response to his post.  His thoughts just caused the sentiment to surface.

Though, I am sure we all know the kind of people I speak of, in this hobby and others.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 06:52:09 PM by kovacs01 »
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11105 on: January 13, 2024, 07:36:18 PM »
T, I apologize if it seemed that way, because I certainly didn't mean it that way at all.

No, I didn't take it that way, Schan. 

This being said, when the originality of a poster is put in doubt (like the ESB intl) when I know it shouldn't but cannot prove it, I'll stick to my guns and become that asshole.  I'm okay with that.  I know what I know (with a little experience, not to be mistaken with being an expert), but I will not try to change anyone else's opinion.

T
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 07:37:35 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #11106 on: January 13, 2024, 08:32:00 PM »
No, I didn't take it that way, Schan. 

I'll stick to my guns and become that asshole. 

T

thumbsup.gif

There are definitely several areas where I would consider you THE expert.  Most notably among them is any Spielberg paper.  I know you may not consider there to be ANY experts.  But, someone knows more than anyone else, and is then the de facto expert.  If not you, then who?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 09:13:11 PM by kovacs01 »
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11107 on: January 14, 2024, 11:21:18 AM »
Well, I do own a lot of Spielberg posters, I'll give you that.  Approaching 2,000 pieces...  dontknow.gif  But adding to a pile doesn't make you an expert, it makes you a hoarder.  Plus, since they're all online, anyone can get the same degree of expertise.

thumbsup.gif

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #11108 on: January 15, 2024, 03:46:10 PM »
The only recent sales at Yahoo Japan for My Neighbor Totoro B1s were about $830 and $930.  The recent B2 sales have been significantly lower.  It's a popular title, studio, and artwork, but it seems like the price has gone up lately for the B1.  Maybe one of the reasons the B1s have increased in value, is due to the Studio Ghibli Museum selling reproduction B2s that could be difficult for a lot of folks to authenticate, as discussed in the link below.

At eMovie the price has gone up significantly, also.  Before 2020, a couple sold around $400 and one about $800, but the rest average about $200.  Since 2020, only 3 of this style have sold - $850, $1150, and $1900.

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,16241.0.html

« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 04:24:31 PM by Neo »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11109 on: January 18, 2024, 09:02:31 PM »
Strange.  I wonder what the sudden appeal is.  5 years ago, the lesser version (what Emovie calls the JR version) had never sold for more than $200.  And today it sold for $1,400.

Nothing makes sense anymore.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #11110 on: January 18, 2024, 11:49:53 PM »

Nothing makes sense anymore.

Ha, it could be just a common sale point for a while, like all the Back to the Future, Revenge of the Jedi, etc.

It was the 2nd highest selling tonight, and as you said, the less popular version.  Maybe a lot of new folks in recent years looking for B1s.  After thinking about it I also think it's a combination of country of origin, popular artwork, and a favorite title for many folks.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #11111 on: January 19, 2024, 05:57:56 AM »
I think this title has been on fire for a while now.
Almost two years ago Heritage got just over $5K for the "flute" style B2, and I think the other styles are all trying to catch up to it now.
It's hitting that sweet spot in nostalgia age for a lot of people.

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11112 on: January 19, 2024, 03:01:33 PM »
It's always interesting to see how quickly something heats up and try to figure out the reasoning behind it.  I'm not an anime guy, so this one is beyond my reach.  All I know is that I bought the other B1 for Totoro for $29.99 on Ebay in 2009.  Even if you're not selling, it's a good thing to see your stuff go up in value, since you don't have to buy it anymore.  It does suck for the things you could have bought for nothing and passed on.  I don't have too many titles like this, but a few that I will never own.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #11113 on: January 21, 2024, 10:14:25 PM »
Another nutty recent result from Yahoo Japan Auctions.
This poster for Godzilla Minus One Minus Color - (a movie that doesn't even open until later this week!!) closed at ¥301,000 (almost $2200 USD)

« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 10:17:04 PM by crowzilla »
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #11114 on: January 22, 2024, 01:03:52 PM »
Some of the newly released B1s seem to go pretty darn high there.  Maybe folks have FOMO (fear of missing out), as sometimes few if any more B1s will appear in the market.  For new Godzilla, one would think it's a big release with a lot printed, so that result seems at the high end, but who knows how many B1s there are compared to the number of Godzilla fans; you probably know more than most the number of Godzilla fans.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #11115 on: January 22, 2024, 06:04:20 PM »
Another nutty recent result from Yahoo Japan Auctions.
This poster for Godzilla Minus One Minus Color - (a movie that doesn't even open until later this week!!) closed at ¥301,000 (almost $2200 USD)

Impressive. I like the poster designs for the film.

I'm annoyed I missed seeing the film at the cinema, it had a pretty small release in the UK. I will put the effort in to go see the b&w version if it gets a release here.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #11116 on: January 24, 2024, 04:16:00 PM »
Well, I do own a lot of Spielberg posters, I'll give you that.  Approaching 2,000 pieces...  dontknow.gif  But adding to a pile doesn't make you an expert, it makes you a hoarder.  Plus, since they're all online, anyone can get the same degree of expertise.

thumbsup.gif

T

They can gain some degree of expertise, but seeing and handling the poster in person is necessary for the same degree.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11117 on: January 24, 2024, 05:57:57 PM »
Okay, but it only takes me 30 seconds to get a poster out of a tube and store it away.  So call it a 30 seconds experience.

thumbsup.gif

T
My Personal Collection

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #11118 on: February 04, 2024, 04:31:02 PM »
over £500 for this stain? winners regret guaranteed imho

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #11119 on: February 04, 2024, 04:35:07 PM »
50s release, did not sell (reserve 3K maybe 4 - i forgot)

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #11120 on: February 04, 2024, 04:40:38 PM »
look out for Pawn Stars xmas special where one of these will be valued at $800

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11121 on: February 04, 2024, 09:43:11 PM »
50s release, did not sell (reserve 3K maybe 4 - i forgot)

It's a 50s re-release poster and in terrible condition.  I own the only known copy of the original 1950 release, not mint unfortunately, but folded, and you can obviously see the differences.)  Along with the obvious color differences, mine reads "Roger Soubie" at top right, while the re-release reads "D'Apres Roger Soubie").

Who dared selling this thing?

T
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 09:46:08 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #11122 on: February 05, 2024, 07:18:28 AM »

Who dared selling this thing?

here

didn't think condition was that bad but it looks washed out compared to your first release. expensive postage costs i'd imagine  :)

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #11123 on: February 05, 2024, 02:46:43 PM »
It went unsold.

Mark

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11124 on: February 05, 2024, 03:29:11 PM »
Yes I saw.  Asking 3,000 pounds for this is absurd.  It's a good thing people were able to see though this.

T
My Personal Collection