Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2847199 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #8950 on: March 08, 2017, 01:12:13 AM »
The number is in:

$1652.00 spent on this poster with a question as to which release it is truly for. For the winning buyer's sake, here's hoping it isnt a possible 1950's (or later) RR.

I was sort of hoping there might be some word or further explanation from emp before this auction ended, but that never happened.  :-\

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4555724

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #8951 on: March 08, 2017, 02:24:15 AM »
The number is in:

$1652.00 spent on this poster with a question as to which release it is truly for. For the winning buyer's sake, here's hoping it isnt a possible 1950's (or later) RR.

I was sort of hoping there might be some word or further explanation from emp before this auction ended, but that never happened.  :-\

of course not. kind of hypocritical considering who started the thread called "Which major HONEST dealers have the HIGHEST and LOWEST prices overall?"

what honesty could be applied to the Casablanca poster, for the second time around?

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8952 on: March 08, 2017, 02:40:25 AM »
of course not. kind of hypocritical considering who started the thread called "Which major HONEST dealers have the HIGHEST and LOWEST prices overall?"

what honesty could be applied to the Casablanca poster, for the second time around?

Learn to read before you post.

"Important Added Info: Note that this classic anti-Nazi movie could of course not play in Belgium in 1942 when it was first released. We do not know exactly when it was released in Belgium, but it was released in France in 1947, and it seems likely that it was released in Belgium at the same time or very soon after. But is this poster from that first release (likely in 1947)? This has been a mystery in the hobby for many years!"

How was Bruce dishonest?
Just admit that you are a minor-leaguer in this hobby.
You're constantly crawling up his behind with your unending BS.
Why don't you just cease and desist.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8953 on: March 08, 2017, 03:11:25 AM »

"Important Added Info: Note that this classic anti-Nazi movie could of course not play in Belgium in 1942 when it was first released. We do not know exactly when it was released in Belgium, but it was released in France in 1947, and it seems likely that it was released in Belgium at the same time or very soon after. But is this poster from that first release (likely in 1947)? This has been a mystery in the hobby for many years!"

The wording to the description was slightly altered, added to and changed. And THAT, imo, should not have been done, in the final day of an auction.

Unfortunately, I didnt cut and paste the entire paragraph, but as soon as I read what you "lifted" from the current auction page, Ted, it alerted me to that change. Read the portions I quoted on Monday and it's easy to spot the rewording. Why would that have been done?

In the revised description, emp is ASKING if this poster is from the first release in 1947 (even though the red title still claims it to be). Look here. What was originally stated in the original poster description was that this poster WAS (factually) from that first Belgian release in 1947:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,833.msg216992.html#msg216992

(the text below is from the above URL - from the Mid-Auction thread and post on Monday):

First, the description states:

"We do not know exactly when it was released in Belgium, but it was released in France in 1947, and it is extremely likely that it was released in Belgium at the same time or very soon after, and this poster is from that first Belgian release."

But then further down, it states:

"...it is the small size Belgian that we have only seen on Belgian posters from during and right after World War II, but it is possible that the movie was re-released in the early 1950s, and that they printed the posters from the exact same plates, which would account for the smaller size. Please do not bid on this poster unless you can accept the uncertainty as to its year of origin."

As it has now been rewritten:

"But because of the above uncertainty as to exactly when this poster is from, and whether it is from the first release, please do not bid on this poster unless you can accept this uncertainty."

The entire description paragraph was quietly amended and reworked after this issue was brought up here on Monday. And yet nothing was said in response to the forum directly by anyone from emp.

And to rewrite/reword an item's description, once bids are already in place, doesnt seem right to me. But that's just me.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 03:35:36 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #8954 on: March 08, 2017, 07:00:08 AM »
I agree that EMP shouldn't revise a description without acknowledging they have done so in larger text.

I'm sure Bruce is good enough to offer the winning bidder the chance to not go through with the purchase if he/she decides not to.

Sometimes I do feel there is a witch hunt against Bruce and EMP. Yes there is an error in the listing but errors are pretty far between from Bruce and his team.

They have done a damn fine job on their business model and for the hobby in general. And saved me and everyone a pretty packet by not having premiums and the information they do give is priceless.

Also can we refrain from having nasty comments aimed at people in this thread. People come here to discuss and have opinions I get that but when it's name calling, mentioning people's mothers and generally nasty stuff then it doesn't portray the forum in a good light.

This place can get pretty ugly at times and I can understand why people leave the place.

Marc
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8955 on: March 08, 2017, 07:03:58 AM »
Dave won the auction - I am sure he knows what he got with the purchase
- Damo (An Aussie Movie Poster Lover)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #8956 on: March 08, 2017, 09:41:17 AM »
Dave won the auction - I am sure he knows what he got with the purchase

+1

I'm also not sure how Bruce could do any more to explain the uncertainty... he already has a damn essay on the thing! 

I see zero acknowledgement of the uncertainty at Heritage and Christies.  Is pretending it doesn't exist a better approach?  Or are you guys claiming this poster should never be sold ever again because it can't be 100% authenticated to a specific date? 

I really don't understand the fuss.  Sure, it's a bit of a mystery and we'll likely never get a solid answer -- but there are lots of posters out there like that.  It's still a beautiful, highly desirable poster that's a minimum of 50+ years old and as of 3/7/17 the market values it at $1652, uncertainty and all. 

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #8957 on: March 08, 2017, 09:57:34 AM »
+1

I'm also not sure how Bruce could do any more to explain the uncertainty... he already has a damn essay on the thing! 

I see zero acknowledgement of the uncertainty at Heritage and Christies.  Is pretending it doesn't exist a better approach?  Or are you guys claiming this poster should never be sold ever again because it can't be 100% authenticated to a specific date? 

I really don't understand the fuss.  Sure, it's a bit of a mystery and we'll likely never get a solid answer -- but there are lots of posters out there like that.  It's still a beautiful, highly desirable poster that's a minimum of 50+ years old and as of 3/7/17 the market values it at $1652, uncertainty and all.

clap
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #8958 on: March 08, 2017, 10:44:14 AM »
I'll spend my money with EMP over HA any day of the week (but especially Tues, Thurs and Sundays)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8959 on: March 08, 2017, 11:14:15 AM »
I agree that EMP shouldn't revise a description without acknowledging they have done so in larger text.

I'm sure Bruce is good enough to offer the winning bidder the chance to not go through with the purchase if he/she decides not to.

Sometimes I do feel there is a witch hunt against Bruce and EMP. Yes there is an error in the listing but errors are pretty far between from Bruce and his team.

They have done a damn fine job on their business model and for the hobby in general. And saved me and everyone a pretty packet by not having premiums and the information they do give is priceless.

Also can we refrain from having nasty comments aimed at people in this thread. People come here to discuss and have opinions I get that but when it's name calling, mentioning people's mothers and generally nasty stuff then it doesn't portray the forum in a good light.

This place can get pretty ugly at times and I can understand why people leave the place.

Marc

AGREED 100%.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #8960 on: March 08, 2017, 01:38:19 PM »
 gun1 yahoo jp bidder, will see where my poster ends up at  gun2  , for sure not a local bidder..bastard..  :)

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #8961 on: March 08, 2017, 01:45:09 PM »
Yes we bought this poster. Thank you to those who alerted us to the changes that were made to the listing. I don't like when changes are made midway through a listing. The way I see it though, in this case it doesn't really matter. Whether it is from 1947 or the 50's or even 60's (I don't think it is from the 60's). The bottom line is that it is a rare and beautiful poster that isn't sold too often and we will describe it as best we can when we re sell it.

One of the good things about ebay auctions is that ebay does not let the seller modify an auction once a bid has been placed.

Dave

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8962 on: March 08, 2017, 04:45:26 PM »
Yep, I second what both Marc and Matt had to say about the various inquests on EMP's latest auction. A sense of balance seems to go missing  - and I don't mean the falling over kind.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8963 on: March 09, 2017, 10:53:17 PM »
This one is my fave so far in the eMovie March Major.

I don't know if this is an "OMG..." in terms of sale price, but it certainly is an OMG for how beautiful it is.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8964 on: March 09, 2017, 10:55:21 PM »
I've always loved this imagery, too, Brandon.   bed1

Bette Davis at her Warner Bros. finest.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 01:55:53 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8965 on: March 10, 2017, 01:12:33 AM »
The above LC shows how important condition is, too.

Almost eight years ago, HA sold another copy of this card, (but it hadn't darkened as much and didn't have chipped corners), in their Signature Auction in July of 2009.

And it sold (with the added BP) for $1912.00
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 01:55:23 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline basemem

• Hobbyist
    • Poster Collector
« Reply #8966 on: March 10, 2017, 04:45:53 AM »
Jaws poster finished last night on eBay at £112.11. Apparently printed for the Cameo cinema in Edinburgh. Seller said it was full sized quad and he was told only two printed but was unable to verify. Really like the art on this one. Does anyone know anything about it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaws-Quad-Cinema-Poster-Incredibly-Rare-Cameo-Cinema-Edinburgh-branded-/192115093768

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #8967 on: March 10, 2017, 10:57:06 AM »
Jaws poster finished last night on eBay at £112.11. Apparently printed for the Cameo cinema in Edinburgh. Seller said it was full sized quad and he was told only two printed but was unable to verify. Really like the art on this one. Does anyone know anything about it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaws-Quad-Cinema-Poster-Incredibly-Rare-Cameo-Cinema-Edinburgh-branded-/192115093768

Not really sure what to make of that. It's a great image no doubt. I guess it's unique and at £112 not really that expensive. I'd rather spend another £150 and pick up the original quad to be fair.

It reminds me of a little story, not far from where I live is one of the smallest cinemas in the UK, one day whilst in the area I thought I'd take a little look at the cinema, unfortunately it was closed. In the lobby however, I could just make out a Daleks Invasion quad, whoa I had to enquire about that!

So on getting home I called up the cinema and was told that the next time I was there I could have it!!
So when I went to pick it up I discovered that it wasn't an original quad, it was one that the cinema had quickly knocked up using an image of the daleks and then added the cinema name on the top.

That was unique as there was only one copy but worth zilch.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8968 on: March 10, 2017, 11:55:07 AM »

I've not seen this one before.
Very impressive.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8969 on: March 10, 2017, 12:29:35 PM »
I think it's absolutely awful.  Why does the shark have lipstick?  So did that theater commission someone for the print?  When was the screening?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8970 on: March 10, 2017, 12:43:06 PM »
I did notice that the seller placed this poster in the 2000's sub-category as far as what time frame it was produced.

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8971 on: March 10, 2017, 02:15:45 PM »
The above LC shows how important condition is, too.

Almost eight years ago, HA sold another copy of this card, (but it hadn't darkened as much and didn't have chipped corners), in their Signature Auction in July of 2009.

And it sold (with the added BP) for $1912.00

Yeah, in my experience, once them older posters start to turn brown, they will only get worse, unless they're restored (deacidified and linen/gel backed).  They'll probably never be minty white again, unless they're bleached, which of course bleaches all the colors, also.

It appears that the copy eMovie just auctioned is the same one Heritage sold March 28, 2015.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 02:18:54 PM by Neo »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8972 on: March 10, 2017, 02:24:06 PM »
Sure does, Brandon. Looks the same for sure. Those edge chips are like fingerprints. I bet some gentle bleaching could get rid of some of that overall brown. We need to ask Dan Miles what he would do as his plan of restorative attack.

And Ouch.. did that consignor take a hit. An almost $800.00 loss from what was paid in 2015.  Doh.gif

But it's the risk of the auction game, as we all know.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 02:34:35 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #8973 on: March 10, 2017, 02:31:38 PM »
+1

Look, it's really very simple. if you are not certain what an item is, you can't make any declarations about what it is.

If you find it necessary to sell it, there is a way - you advertise it as the lest that it is, not the best that it is
so if it could be a 1950s poster, you post it as a 1950s, not as an earlier poster because the earlier poster will sell for more money.

in that format, nobody can critique that you're selling something anomalous to get the highest value improperly.
If it sells low & turns out to be something better - then the buyer got lucky. But why would anyone want to burden the buyer with something that may be worth less money if it isn't what you described it as?

this is what's called 'the fairness doctrine'

as a note: if I ever advertise a poster as something it is not, or otherwise incorrectly, I endorse people pointing out that fact.
I endorse it. Please let me know and I don't care if it's pointed out in a thread or privately messaged.
I'll handle it in the same professional manner as I would handle any business issue

« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 02:34:23 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #8974 on: March 10, 2017, 02:45:38 PM »
Ok let me ask you this - if a lady asks about the size of your endowment, do you give her the working version or the at ease one?  I know what my answer is.