Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2846939 times)

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #700 on: December 02, 2010, 08:10:36 AM »
i only have one myself , as you can see i had trouble photographing it  ;D

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #701 on: December 02, 2010, 08:57:16 AM »
i only have one myself , as you can see i had trouble photographing it  ;D

That's fantastic!  James must be damn-near life size!

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
« Reply #702 on: December 02, 2010, 09:04:08 AM »
thanks , i really need to find a good spot to hang it up

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #704 on: December 05, 2010, 06:34:22 PM »
These groovy door panels for Ambushers went for $1000 at Emovie today:

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #705 on: December 10, 2010, 09:30:12 PM »
Ummm - isn't this WAY too much for this Lost In Translation poster?

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #706 on: December 10, 2010, 09:34:13 PM »
These groovy door panels for Ambushers went for $1000 at Emovie today:

I want. I cany have. I hate being poor   :(

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #707 on: December 10, 2010, 11:36:29 PM »
Ummm - isn't this WAY too much for this Lost In Translation poster?

Im actually surprised it did not go higher. There are not many of these around at all. 10 would be an over guesstimate.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #708 on: December 10, 2010, 11:39:47 PM »
Im actually surprised it did not go higher. There are not many of these around at all. 10 would be an over guesstimate.

I sure as hell wasn't going to let it go at his 280 starting bid.  I was in to 525.  Above that I could live with.  Considering that this is the first public surfacing of this poster in the years that I have been around, to my knowledge, I do agree it could and should go higher.  I guess the other person that really really wanted it that badly wasn't around today (whoever that may be).
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #709 on: December 11, 2010, 12:19:26 AM »
Well, it's the same image as on the US one sheet, so what's the big deal?  You can get Scarlett SS original one sheets on Ebay for $75 and DS copies for $100-$200 when they pop up for auction.  You could buy a couple dozen other extremely cool and unique B1 posters for that money, like the Amelie B1.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #710 on: December 11, 2010, 12:25:40 AM »
Well, it's the same image as on the US one sheet, so what's the big deal?  You can get Scarlett SS original one sheets on Ebay for $75 and DS copies for $100-$200 when they pop up for auction.  You could buy a couple dozen other extremely cool and unique B1 posters for that money, like the Amelie B1.

It's the same as asking what's the big deal with the Amelie Red B1.  LIT is a great movie, and that scene is one of the great ones.  Helps also that the movie is set in Japan.  However you slice it, if you collect Japanese posters, it's one of the rare ones of all rare ones, for a modern poster that is. If you don't collect B1's, then it doesn't matter.  I'll tell you this, though, I have both the ds onesheet and the B1, and the B1 is hands down the better of the posters. 
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #711 on: December 11, 2010, 12:29:44 AM »
It's the same as asking what's the big deal with the Amelie Red B1.  LIT is a great movie, and that scene is one of the great ones.  Helps also that the movie is set in Japan.  However you slice it, if you collect Japanese posters, it's one of the rare ones of all rare ones, for a modern poster that is. If you don't collect B1's, then it doesn't matter.  I'll tell you this, though, I have both the ds onesheet and the B1, and the B1 is hands down the better of the posters.  

You were going to shell out $525 for a SECOND copy?  Man, you are a fan! (Or you're trying to "corner the market" in LIT B1s!)

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #712 on: December 11, 2010, 12:33:47 AM »
You were going to shell out $525 for a SECOND copy?  Man, you are a fan! (Or you're trying to "corner the market" in LIT B1s!)

Not to corner the market, but to make sure the market didn't get hurt by a fluke selling too low because my own copy did not come cheaply!

Truly Mel, if you have a chance to pick up a copy for a price that suits you, you will not be disappointed, and I know you'll agree with my assessment when you're literally holding Scarlet in your hands.  :)
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #713 on: December 11, 2010, 08:00:30 AM »

It's called price supporting.  B1 fans will be doing a lot of it in near term, I suspect...

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #714 on: December 11, 2010, 08:14:52 AM »
Dammit, I missed those Ambushers door panels. I only want for the Dean Martin one  :P I think these or a subset were up for sale on emovie a couple of years ago. Kicked myself then too.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #715 on: December 11, 2010, 08:39:05 AM »
think where they were printed for, the population of those areas, and as such the print run, compared to Quads that were made for the UK.
AND some of these areas had their own posters,
EG look at NZ censor stamps and snipes on UK 1 Sheets, NZ also used Aussie posters, Ive seen Aussie stamps on UK material.
So.... of course there are less, there are less of us, and less posters needed.
I love UK 1 Sheets, the paper quality and print quality is sometimes awesome, compared to US 1 sheets.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #716 on: December 11, 2010, 09:20:46 AM »
Not to corner the market, but to make sure the market didn't get hurt by a fluke selling too low because my own copy did not come cheaply!

Truly Mel, if you have a chance to pick up a copy for a price that suits you, you will not be disappointed, and I know you'll agree with my assessment when you're literally holding Scarlet in your hands.  :)

Good boy, Holiday.  Let's just get 2nd, and 3rd, and 4th copy of all our favorite posters.  Eventually, we'll own them all.  More for us...  Muahahahahahahahahahaha!
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #717 on: December 11, 2010, 10:34:02 AM »

Would you guys please stop this!  First T buying multiple copies to keep things rare and now this!   ;D

Even if something sells for a below average price on eBay, it is not going to affect prices at HA or eMovie.  There is no archive and even if there was, there are so many fakes or deals that fell through that it wouldn't make sense to use that as a bar.  Just because you paid for the nose on something doesn't mean you need to make everyone else do the same...

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #718 on: December 11, 2010, 10:50:41 AM »
Would you guys please stop this!  First T buying multiple copies to keep things rare and now this!   ;D

Even if something sells for a below average price on eBay, it is not going to affect prices at HA or eMovie.  There is no archive and even if there was, there are so many fakes or deals that fell through that it wouldn't make sense to use that as a bar.  Just because you paid for the nose on something doesn't mean you need to make everyone else do the same...

Only once in awhile, and I don't feel so bad because it sold for well above what I was in for.  Had it sold for 530 and I was in for 525, then it's different, but it sold for over 700.  That's a true market value.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #719 on: December 11, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »
I won a LIT B1 on ebay about 6 years ago for about $200 but the seller never sent despite me paying, I had to get a paypal refund.

If anyone wants to pay £1k for my Trainspotting quad as in that Christies auction, please PM me ;D It's a terrific film and that art and poster campaign is very iconic in the UK, but they aren't exactly super rare.

Offline idioteque

• Hobbyist
« Reply #720 on: December 11, 2010, 09:36:35 PM »
I sure as hell wasn't going to let it go at his 280 starting bid.  I was in to 525.  Above that I could live with.  Considering that this is the first public surfacing of this poster in the years that I have been around, to my knowledge, I do agree it could and should go higher.  I guess the other person that really really wanted it that badly wasn't around today (whoever that may be).

Hi Holiday,

That other person was me, and you're right, i wasn't about for the auction final. I bid what i thought was a realistic and fair market value for this ultra rare beauty. I love the movie and japanese posters, so I thought it worth it. Someone obviously agrees with us, and i was out-gunned in this case. I have the B2, so wasn't desperate, but if i'd have landed the B1 at my maximum bid, i'd have been very happy.

Hats off to the winner, a great poster indeed.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #721 on: December 11, 2010, 10:10:31 PM »
I don't own that many Japanese posters and I usually only get them if the art is different.  Although I'd love to own one of these, I'd never spend remotely as much as what people, including Holiday, are willing to spend, simply because the design is identical to the US poster.  Spending 1k + on a Kill Bill desert, I get, but $700 for this one, regardless of rarity, baffles me a little.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #722 on: December 11, 2010, 11:21:56 PM »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #723 on: December 11, 2010, 11:44:41 PM »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline idioteque

• Hobbyist
« Reply #724 on: December 12, 2010, 02:46:13 AM »
I don't own that many Japanese posters and I usually only get them if the art is different.  Although I'd love to own one of these, I'd never spend remotely as much as what people, including Holiday, are willing to spend, simply because the design is identical to the US poster.  Spending 1k + on a Kill Bill desert, I get, but $700 for this one, regardless of rarity, baffles me a little.

T

I understand your point T.

However, for me, it's about the rarity and the Japanese connection of this Tokyo based movie. I see no difference between this example and the high prices commanded by The "ET Bicycle 1-sheet" 41" versus 40.5". Same poster art, but an extra 1/2" around the border gonna cost ya. Why?

Rarity.

I've never seen another LIT B1 for sale since 1st revealed in Holidays amazing collection. I would bid a similar price should another copy become available, however I fear the wait will be extensive.

For me, it's just one of those rare items that feeds the hunt.

Now the "Kill Bill Desert" on the other hand combines rarity with unique art. That combination will command a higher price than the LIT B1.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 03:01:02 AM by idioteque »