Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2863294 times)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #6425 on: August 29, 2014, 02:01:59 PM »
The auction had made its rounds all across the internet via mainstream media and blog outlets. Not sure what started the avalanche, though.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #6426 on: August 29, 2014, 02:04:33 PM »
You know what I think it was the quality and quantity of the stuff, not high end but very accessible quads and MH. I did notice a lot of stuff going for more than you could pick up on the bay which was quire surprising on a lot of the lesser titles

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6427 on: August 29, 2014, 03:08:19 PM »
The auction had made its rounds all across the internet via mainstream media and blog outlets. Not sure what started the avalanche, though.

I don't check blogs, so I wouldn't know anything about it.  This is one of those instances where I miss the Pirate dude.  He would have outed it in a heartbeat :). Too bad, I would have paid big $$$ on some items.  What I don't get is why collectors use unknown auction houses to sell their gear.  This one was outed, I guess, but most are not.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #6428 on: August 29, 2014, 04:45:44 PM »
What I don't get is why collectors use unknown auction houses to sell their gear. 

Yup.

Moi non plus.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #6429 on: August 29, 2014, 05:11:52 PM »
What I don't get is why collectors use unknown auction houses to sell their gear.

may not actually be the collector T
It could be a collector's heir as is very common in this type of situation
It could also be they have spoken to Christie's, Sotheby's and others and decided against using them.
They may have gotten a sweetheart deal from the selling auction.
The selling auction could be a friend of the owner.
also, as said in the other thread about UK-US consignments, the cost burden was onerous so the merch didn't come to the US
the seller may not have time for ebay

there are lots of reasons...

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #6430 on: August 31, 2014, 05:50:45 AM »
This was the collection of a Cardiff-based collector and a Cardiff-based auction house, presumably well regarded, was asked to sell it. Not much of a surprise really. London auction houses would have had zero interest in it. I think the lots were well presented (much better than the lots in the Vectis sale) and the sale appeared prominently on lot finder sites.

The only poster I needed (wanted) was the rolled Brazil quad as an upgrade to my folded copies but I could not be bothered registering for just one lot. Does anyone know how much that one sold for please?

Mark

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #6431 on: August 31, 2014, 06:10:10 AM »
It went for £360 Mark.
It's more than a Hobby...

• Collector
« Reply #6432 on: August 31, 2014, 07:54:01 AM »
Yep Vectis has a lot to learn, I won't be consigning with them I a hurry!

adz take note!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #6433 on: August 31, 2014, 02:02:33 PM »
But will you be bidding with them??
It's more than a Hobby...

• Collector
« Reply #6434 on: September 01, 2014, 02:30:34 AM »
I haven't seen the catalogue yet!

Mirosae

« Reply #6435 on: September 02, 2014, 02:42:06 AM »
 ;D

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6436 on: September 02, 2014, 08:47:02 PM »
Is it my imagination or are these Japanese posters selling for a ridiculous amount of cash?  I am guessing that a lot more Japanese posters will hit the market in the near future.

Hey Ho, were they mainly yours?  If so, good for you, partner.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #6437 on: September 02, 2014, 09:24:30 PM »
Is it my imagination or are these Japanese posters selling for a ridiculous amount of cash?  I am guessing that a lot more Japanese posters will hit the market in the near future.

Hey Ho, were they mainly yours?  If so, good for you, partner.

T

I thought the Apocalypse Now poster was stupidly high...  The Easy Rider was unfolded but still too high... Rio Bravo was ok.  The Sabrina was on par given the issues.  The Giant RR was a steal since it was unfolded and very good to fine... Stolen Kisses was a bit high...

The How to Steal A Million was low under $100 @ $64...

I have heard a rumor of a Japanese cache that was not Holiday's some 9,000 posters.  Wonder where it will end up...

The economy is back, I guess...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #6438 on: September 02, 2014, 10:23:55 PM »
Taking aside the few high end posters...

Holy crap!

Was that  a bargain basement sale at emovie that I completely missed or has the B2 and insert market crashed?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6439 on: September 02, 2014, 10:42:49 PM »
Re, the Japanese B2 results... what sayeth thee, Sir Posteroid?  notworthy.gif

-Jeff

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #6440 on: September 02, 2014, 11:35:46 PM »
A couple were stupidly high (Jaws), but there were a ton of bargains.  I picked up a few...

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #6441 on: September 03, 2014, 06:44:10 AM »
Looks like Bruce ran out of white squares for this one  :P

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3561309

But looking at those prices the B2 really does appear to be the poor cousin of the B1
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 06:46:36 AM by skyjackers »

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #6442 on: September 03, 2014, 08:14:55 AM »
Taking aside the few high end posters...

Holy crap!

Was that  a bargain basement sale at emovie that I completely missed or has the B2 and insert market crashed?
I don't think the B2 market was ever anything greater than any other market unless you get into some specific areas.  Armin has a great eye for what sells well, and great tastes for a collector.  Remember, B2's are quite common and I would expect just about every movie, good and bad, has them. That makes for a lot of stuff that's not worth a buck.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #6443 on: September 03, 2014, 08:28:17 AM »
I dont really see anything that is jumping out as far as way out of line prices. Prices actually seem soft after you get past the top 50 or so sold.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6444 on: September 03, 2014, 03:34:22 PM »
I dont really see anything that is jumping out as far as way out of line prices. Prices actually seem soft after you get past the top 50 or so sold.

Dale said something here that is spot-on about auctions in general

People like to focus on the few percentage points worth of items that sell on any given day that are North of the perceived market norm, but the reality is that they never represent more than a few percentage points of the total offering. I estimated to a visitor yesterday that 1% of posters sold by auction sell for a crazy price (and that crazy price achieved one time will probably not be achieved again), 20% sell for their perceived "real value" and the rest all sell for ever decreasing prices in comparison to this perceived value.

In other words, though all sellers like to point at when a Gookums poster sells for $1000 when it is only a $200 poster, many more $200 posters will sell for $100 or $50 or less and this people do not advertise

The entire market is soft because #1 it is a small collecting hobby and 2) there is just too much material being sold on a regular basis into this small hobby.

the vast majority of posters sold via auctions are selling for peanuts

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #6445 on: September 03, 2014, 04:43:09 PM »
Interesting. Thanks Rich. I am surprised you think this is a small hobby.  No poster  has yet reached the 1m mark, that is true. But didn't think it was a small hobby given the substantial profits achieved by  some auction houses and dealers. 

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6446 on: September 03, 2014, 05:41:59 PM »
Interesting. Thanks Rich. I am surprised you think this is a small hobby.  No poster  has yet reached the 1m mark, that is true. But didn't think it was a small hobby given the substantial profits achieved by  some auction houses and dealers.  

size of the hobby measured by population, not values.

collecting peoples in this hobby (and I mean collectors, not a person who buys a pulp fiction poster for una dn never buys more posters) are in the low 10s of thousands. maybe 20,000 people.

this is for instance unlike comic books, baseball cards, coins etc which may have a couple million collectors or at least hundreds of thousands
This can be measured in part by the number of comic book stores in America and the relatively small amount of movie poster stores

even another measure is the population of people on comics forums, which number 100x the amount of people on poster forums
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 05:43:43 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #6447 on: September 04, 2014, 12:19:04 PM »
Thank you! Very interesting thumbsup.gif

Mirosae

« Reply #6448 on: September 04, 2014, 12:24:50 PM »
This was sold on ebay for $165

Vtg Orig. Movie Poster Charles Chaplin Abenteuer / The Adventurer Litho. 1929

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6449 on: September 04, 2014, 12:49:09 PM »
It looks to be in wonderful condition, too. And maybe it was never used, since the blank area at the bottom is "scrawl-free" of any dates or times that it would have been shown. It's always great to see early German material like this, too.   clap

-Jeff