Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2835860 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #5900 on: March 22, 2014, 04:20:18 PM »
True enough, re the guy --

but her repetitive, up down, up down delivery is almost getting grating to listen to, too. (Chinese water torture to the ears comes to mind).  ;D
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 04:23:31 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5901 on: March 22, 2014, 04:21:27 PM »
Yeah, I can't stand her.  I actually turned the sound off.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #5902 on: March 22, 2014, 04:26:23 PM »
Whut?  $47,800, way over $20K estimate:

http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7094&lotNo=83131

This wonderful and very large painting is the original artwork used to produce one of the most well known movie posters of the era. Standing 33" X 40", the painting was done by artist Mike Bryan using a large blueprint that produced a ghosted image from a photograph onto paper. The artist then used airbrush, ink and colored pencil to create the photo-realistic image seen.

This is a really cool, iconic piece for a classic movie.  It's unfortunate that it is appears fairly damaged.  I wonder how it will be in the long term?

From HA: "The image was produced on an ammonia based paper, which has caused it to lighten slightly into a reddish cast as seen in the upper and lower portions of the image. Heritage and the artist both want the bidder to be aware that the image was produced with an underlying element which is an ammonia based print material, and that we are not sure how it will age with time."

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5903 on: March 22, 2014, 04:30:25 PM »
I wonder if there are any current techniques available to stop or slow down what sounds like a degradation on the ammonia-based paper.

Hope there is something that might be able to be done. It would a shame if the whole piece continued to lighten and become more reddish, over time.  :-[
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 04:35:48 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #5904 on: March 22, 2014, 04:30:42 PM »
Only Angels Have Wings (Columbia, 1939). Insert  $2,270.50   Sold to Mail/Fax?

by fax? That's a bit odd no?

some old guy being old-style

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #5905 on: March 22, 2014, 04:33:48 PM »
it doesn't have any damage Neo. they just aren't sure how the item will age due to chemicals (ammonia)

however, the piece is already 27 years old and clearly hasn't changed a whole lot.
there are ways to buffer the ammonia and if you spent almost 50k on the piece, you won't mind spending a thousand more

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5906 on: March 22, 2014, 04:43:49 PM »
I thought this one was really cool but I've already exceeded my limit on other posters (TBA), so I had to pass:

Things to Come (Minerva, R-1953). Italian 2 - Foglio (39.25" X 55").
Adapted from H.G. Wells' prognosticative 1933 essay "The Shape of Things to Come," this film spans 94 years, from 1940 through 2036. When it was first released in 1936, Italy's fascist dictator Benito Mussolini reputedly had every print of the film in Italy destroyed due to the extreme similarity between himself and Ralph Richardson's portrayal of "The Boss" of Everytown. Things to Come was filmed on an epic scale with eye-popping special effects such as the ones featured on this rare Italian reissue poster. Minor signs of handling have had touchup, including fold wear, a chip in the bottom border, and pinholes in the background. There is a faint stamp in the bottom right corner. Very Fine on Linen. Estimate: $1,000 - $2,000.

http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7094&lotNo=83170#Photo

« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 04:44:18 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5907 on: March 22, 2014, 04:49:46 PM »
Re: change in auctioneers: "Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh what a relief it is."   ;D

« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 04:58:45 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5908 on: March 22, 2014, 04:50:49 PM »
Another cool Italian sold earlier for $1,500:

Invaders from Mars (Rank-RKO, 1958). Italian 2 - Foglio (39.5" X 55").
There was no shortage of stellar sci-fi movie posters in the 1950s, but this Italian poster with artwork by Renato Fratini is a masterpiece. William Cameron Menzies directs Jimmy Hunt, Leif Erickson, and Helena Carter in this classic sci-fi tale of alien abductions and implants, one that remains popular with film buffs and poster collectors alike. A first time offer from Heritage, this poster is in near perfect condition. Very Fine+ on Linen.

http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7094&lotNo=83150

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #5909 on: March 22, 2014, 04:52:37 PM »
You wouldn't call the "reddish cast" over the entire piece "damage", Rich?  From a chemistry perspective, I see what you're saying about how the acidity could be neutralized, but what makes you sure it has changed a fair amount since it was originally created?  It surely didn't have that much reddish coloring over it when it was created.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5910 on: March 22, 2014, 04:54:42 PM »
Even a five-star collector such as myself finds it difficult to simultaneously monitor both the auction and the NCAA tournament:

« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 04:55:24 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #5911 on: March 22, 2014, 04:57:42 PM »
Keep the blonde at the podium
darn nshes gone
oh well Beardy man is always fun
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 05:03:56 PM by jedgerley »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5912 on: March 22, 2014, 04:58:10 PM »
The UK 3 sheet for The Indian Raid, from 1911... NICE!!... what a great looking piece, in wonderful condition and going for $925.00 plus the BP.

http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7094&lotNo=83185
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 04:59:25 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #5913 on: March 22, 2014, 05:04:32 PM »
The UK 3 sheet for The Indian Raid, from 1911... NICE!!... what a great looking piece, in wonderful condition and going for $925.00 plus the BP.

http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7094&lotNo=83185
that is wonderful art

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5914 on: March 22, 2014, 05:05:51 PM »
From earlier.. this French 1P for The Wrong Man -1957... for only $448.00, inc the BP.

What an eye grabber, imo!!

http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7094&lotNo=83062#Photo

-Jeff

Offline keith

• Beginner
« Reply #5915 on: March 22, 2014, 05:07:44 PM »
it doesn't have any damage Neo. they just aren't sure how the item will age due to chemicals (ammonia)

however, the piece is already 27 years old and clearly hasn't changed a whole lot.
there are ways to buffer the ammonia and if you spent almost 50k on the piece, you won't mind spending a thousand more

Let's just say this isn't an academic question… What do you think the best things would be to do to protect against the ammonia problems down the line?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5916 on: March 22, 2014, 05:09:08 PM »
$71,700, way over $30K estimate:

Casablanca (Warner Brothers, 1942). Half Sheet (22" X 28") Style B.
Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman deliver standout performances in what many consider to be one of the finest films in cinema history. Against the war-torn backdrop of Casablanca, they rekindle a romance amidst political intrigue, corruption, and murder. A triumph with critics and audiences alike, the picture went on to win the Oscar for Best Picture, Director, and Screenplay, and Bogart would receive his first nomination for Best Actor. This style B half sheet is one of the rarest and most desirable of all the Casablanca posters. It differs greatly from the Style A, showing in addition to Bogart and Bergman, all the main characters from the film. Heritage is proud to offer this style again, as we have not sold another copy in over five years! This poster was sold by Jack Banning in NYC in the late 1970s and has not been on the market since that time. Minor signs of handling include small chips in the bottom corners, tiny chips and a stain in the right border, slight surface paper loss in the left and right borders and top corners, light horizontal creasing, a tear and dust shadow in the right border with tape on the verso, a stain and tears in the left border, a small stain in the title, edge wear and pinholes. The poster has retained good color and the interior of the poster is unmarred. An exceptional opportunity, this half sheet will be the pride of any collection. Rolled, Fine+. Estimate: $20,000 - $30,000.

Cimarron (RKO, 1931). One Sheet (27" X 41.5").

$42,500, much lower than last sale:

Winner of the Best Picture Oscar for 1931, Cimarron is a sprawling, big budget Western that encompasses the opening of the Oklahoma Territory in the fabled Land Rush, to its Wild West days, to its becoming a state, and to the realities of the then present day. Following the lives of Yancey and Sabra Cravat - played by Richard Dix and Irene Dunne - the film's budget was massive for the day ($1.5 million), and employed over 5,000 extras, 28 cameramen, and hundreds of technicians. RKO also went all out in promoting the film, including this magnificent one sheet poster with art by the acclaimed illustrator Frederic C. Madan. Widely regarded as one of the all-time greatest pieces of movie poster art ever produced, Heritage is pleased to offer this beauty. The poster has had the top border replaced to the edge of the art. The right border has also been replaced with paper loss extending one inch into the art. There were chips and tears in the bottom border and small chips in the title area. The restoration was superb and the poster now displays beautifully. Very Good/Fine on Linen. Estimate: $20,000 - $40,000.

Last sale of $101K here:

http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7055&lotNo=83003
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 05:31:12 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Mirosae

« Reply #5917 on: March 22, 2014, 05:10:36 PM »
hey..show some respect.. it is CASABLANCA... feet off!

:)

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #5918 on: March 22, 2014, 05:11:22 PM »
wow mel you post these the second they close.  no need to watch the live bidding

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5919 on: March 22, 2014, 05:18:20 PM »
wow mel you post these the second they close.  no need to watch the live bidding

Thanks.  I gots skillz.

Nice, $3,800 realized

Lawrence of Arabia (Columbia, 1962). Thierry hates "French Grande" (46" X 63") Style A.
Although David Lean began his career as an editor in the British cinema, he was to make his lasting impression in the movies as a director of quality epics. He won two Oscars for Best Direction for his work on The Bridge on the River Kwai and Lawrence of Arabia, and was the recipient of a lifetime achievement award from the American Film Institute in 1990. This film has been heralded as a true masterpiece of the cinema and has inspired filmmakers such as Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg. For only the second time, Heritage offers this majestic, color-drenched Thierry hates "French Grande" with Georges Kerfyser artwork. There has been light touchup to the folds, but the poster is otherwise intact and ready to be a standout in any collection. Very Fine on Linen.

http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7094&lotNo=83204

« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 06:13:52 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #5920 on: March 22, 2014, 05:19:41 PM »
That Cimarron is great. If i ever can spare that kind of money....

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #5921 on: March 22, 2014, 05:22:47 PM »
From earlier.. this French 1P for The Wrong Man -1957... for only $448.00, inc the BP.

What an eye grabber, imo!!

http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7094&lotNo=83062#Photo

Quite agree Erik, not as nice as the Italian but on linen in very nice condition i gather it's a steal. That is why I stole it

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5922 on: March 22, 2014, 05:24:14 PM »

Quite agree Erik, not as nice as the Italian but on linen in very nice condition i gather it's a steal. That is why I stole it

clap clap clap

Way to GO!

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #5923 on: March 22, 2014, 05:24:43 PM »
^^

CONGRATS!!! GREAT POSTER!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5924 on: March 22, 2014, 05:29:19 PM »
Another earlier sale, from a personal favorite film of mine. The US HS for STAGE DOOR (1937), selling for $507.88 What a great looking and composed piece of work here, imo.  bed1

http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7094&lotNo=83082

-Jeff