Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2846314 times)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #500 on: June 04, 2010, 10:14:22 PM »
Yeah.

There have been a couple of times I have wanted to ask on here for opinions but didnt do so cause I didnt wanna be that guy...Saw them go for low prices and later found out that they were good. I guess I could have pmed someone but newbs are silly that way.

I just chalk it up to experience though and move along down the road.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #501 on: June 04, 2010, 11:49:23 PM »
When in doubt PM Thierry, Mark and Ed, I think between the 3 of them they own every desirable poster printed in the last 40 years

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #502 on: June 05, 2010, 12:45:07 AM »
When in doubt PM Thierry, Mark and Ed, I think between the 3 of them they own every desirable poster printed in the last 40 years

Thanks and will pick one when/if the need arises again but nobody laugh. Which one is Ed?

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #503 on: June 06, 2010, 07:42:47 PM »
farq, I am really confused.
ITS SO SIMPLE.
Want it? BUY IT, WIN IT?
Want to talk about it? TALK ABOUT IT.
Dont want anybody to know about it? GOOD LUCK theres a heckavalot of people who use the internet.
We all want a bargain, but sheesh it aint a god goiven right, relax, IT AINT AIR!
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #504 on: June 06, 2010, 08:16:13 PM »
Ari.. do you really have that ready to cut/paste as needed???

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #505 on: June 06, 2010, 08:21:57 PM »
nah I just forget if I posted before. HA.
Ahh well, least I am not banned (or bald)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #506 on: June 06, 2010, 08:34:29 PM »
Ahh well, least I am not banned (or bald)

This is one very happy skinhead who takes umbrage with that remark. 
I bic my noggin 3x a week, ya lily-livered, maggot snapper...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #507 on: June 08, 2010, 10:33:12 AM »
Here's the BIG NEWS I referenced a few days ago, in the midst of the "mid-auction" war.

Not one, but TWO, Ferris Bueller international posters just sold in the last few minutes on UK Ebay.

Here is the link to the Ebay auction for the first poster, which sold for 321 pounds ($465), and the image the seller sent me:

Here is the link to the Ebay auction for the second auction, which sold for 218 pounds ($316) and the image the seller sent me:

Both were in excellent shape, although the second had two extra vertical folds and a "GY" sticker.  I snipe-bid 311 pounds for the first and 213 pounds for the second and was out-sniped in both by a competitor (w***a).

Of course I wanted to win but I bid my max and I have the consolation of owning the French one-panel of this same image, so no tears will be shed.

So who won?  I suspect a dealer got them.

Did the buyer get a good deal?  We all know that a rolled version of this sold for $1000 on MoviePosterBid a few months ago.  Was that a fluke? 

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #508 on: June 08, 2010, 10:42:58 AM »
Some people do care about folds, so a little extra should be added for a rolled one.  I know Rich's gonna hate me for this, but I do believe the $1,000 was a fluke.  This is a nice poster (which I still do not own but will at some point), it draws fans of the movie (which has become a cult classic) and fans of the Ferrari 250 (which I don't own either).  I personally believe $400 would be a good price for this poster.  But the market is erratic, so another $1,000 could be in order.

Which one did you get, Mel?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #509 on: June 08, 2010, 10:49:57 AM »

Which one did you get, Mel?  T

I came in second place - i.e. I lost - on both.  But my consolation prize is currently hanging in my bedroom (and it only cost $75 including shipping from France):

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #510 on: June 08, 2010, 10:52:27 AM »
BTW, the 2nd one was used in New Zealand ("GY" classification to indicate restrictions).
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #511 on: June 08, 2010, 11:01:23 AM »
BTW, the 2nd one was used in New Zealand ("GY" classification to indicate restrictions).

Interesting - and also interesting that they recently found 75 long-lost silent films, including John Ford's "Upstream," in New Zealand.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #512 on: June 08, 2010, 11:38:35 AM »
I came in second place - i.e. I lost - on both.  But my consolation prize is currently hanging in my bedroom (and it only cost $75 including shipping from France):

Looks good.  I am surprised the French 1 panels don't get more money.  The large format is sweet and the paper is nice.  Do people have something against French posters or just the French in general?

I just picked up a French one panel for The Matrix and I like it better than the one sheet, and it was only a fraction of the price.  Now if only I can decide whether to get it linen-backed or not  :-\.  It would probably look best when framed if it were linen-backed, but I am starting to lean towards accepting the folds as there is no fold wear, and adopting the generally accepted policy of only linen-backing something that needs it.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #513 on: June 08, 2010, 11:59:07 AM »
Looks good.  I am surprised the French 1 panels don't get more money.  The large format is sweet and the paper is nice.  Do people have something against French posters or just the French in general?

I really love my Frenchie FB.  I think they're less expensive than the US international because (1) they are not particularly rare, (2) they are not from the "country of origin" and the text is not English, and (3) the large size increases the framing cost (although you can get a French one panel (is it one panel?) flip frame for about $150).

How 'bout showing us your Matrix poster, Neo.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #514 on: June 08, 2010, 12:11:10 PM »
I really love my Frenchie FB.  I think they're less expensive than the US international because (1) they are not particularly rare, (2) they are not from the "country of origin" and the text is not English, and (3) the large size increases the framing cost (although you can get a French one panel (is it one panel?) flip frame for about $150).

How 'bout showing us your Matrix poster, Neo.

Those points make sense.  

Funny you should ask about "showing us (APF) your (my) Matrix poster", I will have a new digital camera within the next week to replace my 20 year old Nikon (it was a beast in its day, but no so much anymore) and I will post some pics of my collection, including my wacky, silly framed collection  :D.

If anyone would like to know what my real name is, My name....is Neo  :D.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 02:57:51 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #515 on: June 08, 2010, 12:30:06 PM »
and he is Loco...       

• Post-aholic
« Reply #516 on: June 08, 2010, 01:36:22 PM »
Thierry.. I'm not mad at anything.. Facts are facts and these two sold for considerably than the $1112 I sold the rolled one for. However, I have to think that if the seller sold one at a time instead of both simultaneously that he would have achieved a better result.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #517 on: June 08, 2010, 01:49:10 PM »
Thierry.. I'm not mad at anything.. Facts are facts and these two sold for considerably than the $1112 I sold the rolled one for. However, I have to think that if the seller sold one at a time instead of both simultaneously that he would have achieved a better result.

"He" is a "she" who was selling on behalf of someone else.  And that's the beauty of Ebay - you can take advantage of seller errors, like selling two at a time and not simultaneously listing it on the US Ebay.  Rich, I bet those posters would have fetched much more through your auctions (or Emovie/Heritage).  Even though your commission (25%) is slightly higher than Ebay's (10%), the seller would have done better.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #518 on: June 08, 2010, 02:04:43 PM »

I just picked up a French one panel for The Matrix and I like it better than the one sheet, and it was only a fraction of the price.  Now if only I can decide whether to get it linen-backed or not  :-\.  It would probably look best when framed if it were linen-backed, but I am starting to lean towards accepting the folds as there is no fold wear, and adopting the generally accepted policy of only linen-backing something that needs it.

I believe one of the French FB sold for $600.  The three points Mel talked about are totally relevant.  I would add to it that France is one of the top 3 US foreign markets and that there were more posters printed than the international US version.  So it's definitely not as rare.  The French pantalon (door format) is much rarer and can sell for more.  Plus, international and British posters sell on English speaking Ebays, while French posters usually pop up on French Ebay, making it more difficult for foreign buyers who don't really know what they're buying, how much shipping will cost, etc.  Thus driving the price down.  I've obviously taken advantage of this over the year (since I own close to 1,000 French posters).  But that day will end sooner than later, the day Ebay understand that foreign Ebays need to be translated and accessible to all.  I hope to own everything I need by then.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #519 on: June 08, 2010, 02:07:59 PM »
(although you can get a French one panel (is it one panel?) flip frame for about $150).

:D  It is whatever you want it to be except "Grande".
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #520 on: June 08, 2010, 02:09:28 PM »
you're correct Thierry.. I have no idea why they would have segregated lists on their websites. They should be intermingled with translators so people all over the world see the items

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #521 on: June 08, 2010, 02:10:33 PM »
"He" is a "she" who was selling on behalf of someone else.  And that's the beauty of Ebay - you can take advantage of seller errors, like selling two at a time and not simultaneously listing it on the US Ebay.  Rich, I bet those posters would have fetched much more through your auctions (or Emovie/Heritage).  Even though your commission (25%) is slightly higher than Ebay's (10%), the seller would have done better.

Mel.. after various other fees, and depending on if you have a 100% sell-through on listed items.. ebay's 10% works out to more than 10%

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #522 on: June 08, 2010, 03:16:35 PM »
It's too bad if people are intimidated by the non-English speaking Ebay sites.  I've never had any problems conversing with the European sellers.  Many of the postings include English translations, especially in Germany, anyway.  And Google Translate works wonders.

And Rich, when are you going to auction your other FB?

And Thierry, I concede size is irrelevant to someone who has a stack of 1,000 French posters in the garage  ;D

• Post-aholic
« Reply #523 on: June 08, 2010, 03:28:35 PM »
Mel.. I've been holding it back as trade bait. It's not a poster I want to keep.. but there are lots of posters I do want. The problem is finding someone who collects this poster AND collects stuff that I like. The copy I have is in perfect condition. Not even a dent I believe

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #524 on: June 08, 2010, 04:52:25 PM »
What do you want of mine?  There must be something  ;)
My Personal Collection