Author Topic: Gallery1988  (Read 40780 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Gallery1988
« on: March 05, 2011, 03:06:38 PM »
Picked up this spiffy Ferris Bueller (indirectly via Ebay) from Gallery 1988.

Artist is Joshua Budich:

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Gallery1988
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 03:27:46 PM »
Excellent artwork.  Some great images of the characters, and ya gotta love the Ferrari.  When someone mentions "valet parking" to me, I usually remind them of that scene in the movie.  I actually had a mechanic do that once when I brought my '96 Camaro SS to the dealership for an alignment.  Went out to see how it was going after waiting a couple hours, and he had just pulled it off the alignment rack and was letting another guy get in the passenger side.  Right then I got a little worried.  Another hour and a half of waiting and they call my name.  I go to the cashier, pay, get in my car and turn the key to see the mileage and gauges, it was running a little hot and noticed they managed to put 63 miles on it.  I was a little angry to say the least and just left.  For whatever reason I was loyal to them, and actually brought my car back a few months later when there was a loud knocking noise in the engine.  They called me the next day and said "there is a little problem...the mechanic took it for a test drive and when he was on the on-ramp for the interstate, the engine blew up."  I wondered why they would take it on the interstate when there was clearly a severe problem.  Anyway, it all worked out OK because they had to replace a hell of a lot of stuff on the car and they paid for all of it, and the car ran like it was brand new afterward.  But yeah, great artwork of the Ferrari on that poster and Jennifer Gray looks hot.

Ogami_Itto

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 04:22:38 PM »
Excellent artwork.  Some great images of the characters, and ya gotta love the Ferrari.  When someone mentions "valet parking" to me, I usually remind them of that scene in the movie.  I actually had a mechanic do that once when I brought my '96 Camaro SS to the dealership for an alignment.  Went out to see how it was going after waiting a couple hours, and he had just pulled it off the alignment rack and was letting another guy get in the passenger side.  Right then I got a little worried.  Another hour and a half of waiting and they call my name.  I go to the cashier, pay, get in my car and turn the key to see the mileage and gauges, it was running a little hot and noticed they managed to put 63 miles on it.  I was a little angry to say the least and just left.  For whatever reason I was loyal to them, and actually brought my car back a few months later when there was a loud knocking noise in the engine.  They called me the next day and said "there is a little problem...the mechanic took it for a test drive and when he was on the on-ramp for the interstate, the engine blew up."  I wondered why they would take it on the interstate when there was clearly a severe problem.  Anyway, it all worked out OK because they had to replace a hell of a lot of stuff on the car and they paid for all of it, and the car ran like it was brand new afterward.  But yeah, great artwork of the Ferrari on that poster and Jennifer Gray looks hot.

sounds like that asshole saved you a lot of money.

excellent poster by the way mel

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 11:31:46 PM »
Cool exhibit this Friday at Gallery 88 on Melrose.  I will for sure get the Moby Dick prints by Ken Taylor.  This guy is getting more awesome by the print.  Anyone else going?

Gallery 88

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 11:35:25 PM »
Thierry, I posted that Whalen War of the Worlds pic in the graphic prints thread...he also did one for Sherlock Holmes.  Not a huge Whalen fan to say the least, but these are ok.

The Moby Dick piece here is good, but I need to see the other options before I decide how well I like it. Did you see the Bertmer ones though? Ugh.

Anyway, I have a hook up going tomorrow night...my man comes through for me all the time.  Really pumped about what Eric Tan is doing...
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 11:38:52 PM »
Don't like Whalen, hate Bertmer, kinda don't care about Tan, so the Moby Dick is all I want so far.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 11:51:34 PM »
I agree with all that...I do like Tan, though. He has a great eye for stuff.

And BTW, even though my main man Daniel Danger isn't on this docket, we kinda already had his stab at classic literature:

Might be my favorite 'art print' of all time, outside of his Archer print. Both blow my mind each time I look at them, and neither of them get old. Wow.

I was mistaken,

Ogami_Itto

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 10:41:52 AM »
i have to say i agree with bertmers work being flat but i think he killed both the cathulu and paradise lost. I thought that they kept him in his element and the prints turned out very well. his santa sangre poster is amazing in person, i showed it to someone that had not seen the movie and they said it looks like a crazy cuircus flyer (perfect response).

as for whalen i do like his war of the worlds, his style just works sometime and falls off bad others i.e. his roger rabbit ect.

the moby dick piece is well.....     AWESOME

i have a friend who is obsessed by that book right now. He says its the most "metal" book ever written.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 10:29:07 AM »
Well, they did the 3G show last year (Goonies, Gremlins, Ghostbusters), so it only makes sense to do the 3B show now.

More BTTF stuff for Thierry to fret over. :)

I was mistaken,

Ogami_Itto

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 04:28:20 PM »
yes! beetlejuice needs/deserves good prints.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 04:31:30 PM »
I agree with all that...I do like Tan, though. He has a great eye for stuff.

And BTW, even though my main man Daniel Danger isn't on this docket, we kinda already had his stab at classic literature:

Might be my favorite 'art print' of all time, outside of his Archer print. Both blow my mind each time I look at them, and neither of them get old. Wow.

This is ABSOLUTELY gorgeous, Ben.  When was it made?

I agree, Danger is in a league of his own.  So are Stout, Ansin and Taylor, IMO.  That's it.  These 4 guys are it.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 04:57:19 PM »
Thierry, Danger's Jabberwock print was done in 2009 for his show at G1988. Some were sold there, then Danger sold the rest on his site along with his Archer print and others. (Have you seen that one? I will post a pic of it, I have one framed and on the wall.)

The day of the drop on DD's site was ridiculous, it was worse than the Mondo Wolfman day...as soon as they went up the site was down for hours (for me) until it came back up to say 'sold out' on everything.  They don't come up that often, and are only going up each time out the gate.

Anyway, its incredibly breathtaking...would blow all the prints from tonight's Required Reading show out of the water, I would wager.

I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 05:09:12 PM »
Well, all except Moby Dick.  I really like this one and can't wait to see it in person in a few hours.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 05:22:03 PM »
Yeah, have fun there!

Take some pics on your cell...do some nerd journalism reporting for the APF!

I was mistaken,

Disheveledamethyst

Gallery1988's "Required Reading" collection...
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 08:00:47 PM »
Posters for books have been something I've been thinking about since I joined this forum. 1988's line of "Required Reading" prints is a rather timely coincidence because just the other day I was wondering if there was any kind of artwork done for F. Scott Fizgerald's The Great Gatsby. I'm having trouble finding pictures, or a list, of the posters included in the "Required Reading" gallery (I'm under the impression not all the titles have been revealed) but if the name is any indication I think there might be a good chance there will be a Gatsby poster.

If such a poster is released, granted it's not unattractive, I want it. A lot. Since I've never bought from 1988 before, I want to know...
1. Can you buy prints online, or do you have to visit one of their locations?
2. What do their limited prints usually cost?
3. Where is "Melrose" and does anybody live around there?

Any help would be appreciated. As much as I love movie posters a Gatsby poster would be incredible.

Thanks,
Anthony

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
Re: Gallery1988's "Required Reading" collection...
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 08:07:19 PM »
(Mods, can we merge this in the G1988 thread where we were talking about this?)

I was mistaken,

Disheveledamethyst

Re: Gallery1988's "Required Reading" collection...
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 08:08:47 PM »
I'll repost it in there. If it's clutter then this thread can be deleted.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 08:09:30 PM »
Posters for books have been something I've been thinking about since I joined this forum. 1988's line of "Required Reading" prints is a rather timely coincidence because just the other day I was wondering if there was any kind of artwork done for F. Scott Fizgerald's The Great Gatsby. I'm having trouble finding pictures, or a list, of the posters included in the "Required Reading" gallery (I'm under the impression not all the titles have been revealed) but if the name is any indication I think there might be a good chance there will be a Gatsby poster.

If such a poster is released, granted it's not unattractive, I want it. A lot. Since I've never bought from 1988 before, I want to know...
1. Can you buy prints online, or do you have to visit one of their locations?
2. What do their limited prints usually cost?
3. Where is "Melrose" and does anybody live around there?

Any help would be appreciated. As much as I love movie posters a Gatsby poster would be incredible.

Thanks,
Anthony

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 08:18:14 PM »
Anthony, the realm of prints like this via Mondo/Gallery 1988/Etc...is Pandora's Box. Beware! There is no going back...now you will have two holes in your wallet, not just one.

Anyway, best way to answer these questions is on the pertinent thread on EB.  The latter posts are from guys in line at the show right now.
Thierry is going tonight as well.

(EB = Expresso Beans, THE place for all things art and gig prints in terms of forum and buying/selling).

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=65682

I was mistaken,

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 08:21:15 PM »
Genuinely, all I want is a Gatsby poster. That book has shaped me into the person I am. I was very impressionable when I first read it.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2011, 08:25:36 PM »
No luck on Gatsby, sorry. A little birdy has shown me the line up...

I was mistaken,

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2011, 08:26:08 PM »
How can you have a Required Reading line without a Great Gatsby? That's blasphemy.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2011, 08:39:29 PM »
Not sure, good question, I agree.

They do have like 3 Alice in Wonderland prints, which is crazy. The best is the one I posed from 3 years ago above ^^^.

I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2011, 08:58:05 PM »
Okay, I'm there, standing in line like a stupid idiot.  You guys scared me with all this talk of a line.  And there is one... About 20 people so far.  I'm smoking a cuban, which seems to bother some, so hopefully, they will leave :). I have some writing to do, so I'm going to keep myself busy while backing in the sun.  It's really hot today.  I'll post some pix when I get home.  Can't do it from my phone.

Man, I feel like a moron.  This one seems to be popular.  There was nobody at the last one I went to.  I don't even know if I want to buy anything... Yet.  I have to see the prints in person.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2011, 09:04:15 PM »
T, check your email.

I was mistaken,