Author Topic: Fingers Burned-(An E-bay lesson learned)  (Read 5368 times)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
Fingers Burned-(An E-bay lesson learned)
« on: February 19, 2011, 03:15:59 PM »
I recently decided to delve into the world of E-bay selling....
I had on a few occasions posted a couple of my quads for sale on the bay, i also made sure to include a fair reserve or opening bid,but nothing i had advertised seem to sell or atrract any bids,so i just shrugged my shoulders and thought to myself..maybe what i had for sale wasn`t that interesting or sought after.
But last week i put for auction an original,double sided,rolled,mint condition ,silver border,Alien Directors Cut quad,that can fetch upwards of £70 from a dealers site.
As none of my BIN auctions have been rewarding i thought i would put it up for auction with no reserve..99p staring price? bring on the bids...............
The result,6 bids..3 in the last ten seconds.......get in!!!
Final price..£10.50......sore one..

Lesson learned..always put a reserve and always describe your poster as acurately as possible.

Stew

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Fingers Burned-(An E-bay lesson learned)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 03:26:38 PM »
I'd have given you £11 for it Stew. ;D
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 03:29:52 PM »
I'd have given you £11 for it Stew. ;D

Not funny Paul.... laugh1

Stew

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 03:36:17 PM »
Sorry to hear man...I have sold on the bay( not posters yet) and know that pain

I think much of it is timing/luck....If you look at emovie or Heritage results you can see dips and dives in results.

Plus....I dont remember seeing you list it here. It cant hurt to tell people. I am not looking for one of those and my buying tendencies change all the time but there are posters I am always on the look out for  8)  

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 03:42:34 PM »
Sorry to hear man...I have sold on the bay( not posters yet) and know that pain

I think much of it is timing/luck....If you look at emovie or Heritage results you can see dips and dives in results.

Plus....I dont remember seeing you list it here. It cant hurt to tell people. I am not looking for one of those and my buying tendencies change all the time but there are posters I am always on the look out for  8) 

I had it advertised in the for sale thread for about a week,for £40.
There was no interest from anyone so i decided to put it on the bay at the 99p starting price.
Because i did this i asked one of the Moderators to remove my ad from the for sale section as it would would be unfair to keep it posted with a fixed price here,but could be bought on e-bay for possibly £1

Stew

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 04:18:04 PM »
I recently decided to delve into the world of E-bay selling....
I had on a few occasions posted a couple of my quads for sale on the bay, i also made sure to include a fair reserve or opening bid,but nothing i had advertised seem to sell or atrract any bids,so i just shrugged my shoulders and thought to myself..maybe what i had for sale wasn`t that interesting or sought after.
But last week i put for auction an original,double sided,rolled,mint condition ,silver border,Alien Directors Cut quad,that can fetch upwards of £70 from a dealers site.
As none of my BIN auctions have been rewarding i thought i would put it up for auction with no reserve..99p staring price? bring on the bids...............
The result,6 bids..3 in the last ten seconds.......get in!!!
Final price..£10.50......sore one..

Lesson learned..always put a reserve and always describe your poster as acurately as possible.

Stew

Stew, I disagree.
here is a salient point: ebay sellers don't do well until they have high feedback, a known track record, sell frequently and are willing to take "whatever comes"

starting with quality merch isn't always the right way to go. You start slow, gathering steam and a following. Slowly you feed in some better stuff until you begin getting something near reasonable prices (and the word "reasonable" has diff meanings to diff people)

building a business is a big job. you lay one brick at a time and eventually you have lots of bricks

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 04:24:52 PM »
Stew, I disagree.
here is a salient point: ebay sellers don't do well until they have high feedback, a known track record, sell frequently and are willing to take "whatever comes"

starting with quality merch isn't always the right way to go. You start slow, gathering steam and a following. Slowly you feed in some better stuff until you begin getting something near reasonable prices (and the word "reasonable" has diff meanings to diff people)

building a business is a big job. you lay one brick at a time and eventually you have lots of bricks

Experienced advice Rich and thank you for it..
I still naively think e-bay is just a place where i can maybe flog something at a mutually fair price.
E-bay seems to be turning into an online mall,full of sellers/shops,rather than an auction place.

Stew

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 05:07:25 PM »
you're welcome Stew, but I think you also need to understand this part:

selling a single poster - unless it's one like Gilda that everyone talks about - is like being a single stalk of wheat in a huge farm of wheat. No track record as a seller has a negative effect on your ability to sell.

but yes, fleaBay is for the most part overpriced set-sale material in stores. less than 1/2 of 1% are actual auctions starting at a nominal bid. Reality is that you need to be an experienced, knowledgable professional to get real benefit from the site as a seller or a buyer

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 04:22:20 AM »
Kinda like this listing.  I think the chance that this guy sells this poster as a BIN on ebay at this price is pretty low.  That is not to say that I doubt its authenticity, but who is going to be willing to go in on something like that for a guy with a feedback of 3? 
http://cgi.ebay.com/GONE-WIND-ORIGINAL-MOVIE-POSTER-194O-RARE-/290534686243?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a5377e23#ht_1359wt_1139

Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 04:28:48 AM »
that poster was listed for $17k 2 weeks ago
15k 5 weeks ago

it is & will forever be a perpetually listed poster

-------

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 08:33:51 AM »
The buyer just left positive feedback,so all is good,.kinda feels good knowing a buyer has gotten a great poster,at a bargain price..

Stew