Author Topic: Introducing moviepostercollectors.com  (Read 18487 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Introducing moviepostercollectors.com
« on: January 02, 2011, 05:52:44 PM »
Many of us are veteran movie poster collectors but to a newbie it's all rather overwhelming.  Learnaboutmovieposters.com is good but clearly dated - looks like the Internet in 2000 - and geared to promote dealers.

So I built a basic website for Joe Blow Newbie collector: www.moviepostercollectors.com

I think a newbie wants to know:

(1) How do I distinguish fakes?
(2) What are some cool movie posters?
(3) Where can I see other collectors' sites?

Check it out and let me know what you think and what should be added/improved.  (The showcase collections need a lot of work - that's the next step.)

Offline CJ138

• Collector
Re: Introducing moviepostercollectors.com
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 06:35:02 PM »
Wow...Well done Mel. Really good buddy!
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 06:44:05 PM »
FYI the link to Holiday's website appears to be down...
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 06:57:41 PM »
Good on you Mel. Looks like a welcoming attractive site for the beginner.

Learnaboutmovieposters.com could be a brilliant site, if it was designed more attractively and information was easy to find. When I go to the home page, it just freaks me out and I leave.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 07:19:45 PM »
Certainly a good start Mel.  And I definitely think your heart/mind is in the right place with this...

Would like to see it grow!
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 07:47:29 PM »
Certainly a good start Mel.  And I definitely think your heart/mind is in the right place with this...

Would like to see it grow!

Yep, lots of plans to expand - lots more international stuff, lot more series collections, etc.  Just a matter of time....

P.S. Of course, I'll happily accept a "100 best daybills" collection from someone. Need decent pics - with title & year as file name - at least 700 pixels vertical.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 08:21:27 PM »
Yep, lots of plans to expand - lots more international stuff, lot more series collections, etc.  Just a matter of time....

P.S. Of course, I'll happily accept a "100 best daybills" collection from someone. Need decent pics - with title & year as file name - at least 700 pixels vertical.

I'll see what I can do.  Unfortunately, the pics will definitely not be eMovie or Heritage level quality as I do not have the right set up...
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 08:30:31 PM »
Sweeeeeet!!!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 08:37:22 PM »
I'll see what I can do.  Unfortunately, the pics will definitely not be eMovie or Heritage level quality as I do not have the right set up...

That's why I focus on US stuff so much b/c Heritage has a great library of unwatermarked pics but mostly US.

My ginormous website logo:

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 11:00:09 PM »
very cool!

if you'd like to use any of the authentications from my site, please feel free, The more people who see them the better.

agentprovocateur

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 07:40:09 AM »
Mel, great site, can see it growing into a quality reference tool.

On the concept/unreleased side of things does anyone else remember these two poster images on the official Matrix site back in the day? Pretty sure none were ever printed... sorry if this is old news.

unreleased_fetus_pod.jpg

unreleased_waterfall.jpg

* the files names are the original ones from when I grabbed them from the site

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 10:15:49 AM »
I like the pod poster... By the way, don't you have 3 original concept pieces from this film already?  You have to learn to share buddy  ;D

agentprovocateur

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 01:20:12 PM »
You have mail sir... ;)

This is the year to get the two small ones framed.

ps did either of the two Matrix posters (above) get into anyone's hands!? Would love to see a photo if they did.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 01:25:16 PM »
Awesome website, Mel.  Definitely the best authentication/information site I've seen.  Good job.  happy1

It would have been cool if those Matrix concept images (?) had been used for the release of the film as teasers/advances/international, in addition to the standard one sheet image.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 06:58:38 PM »
Really nice, Mel.  I see a kindred spirit in you, as you move along in collecting and find out where it takes you.

If you're setting out to create something that's more objective, you'll probably want to include a link to MPF where you list the forums.  As dead as it is these days, it's still been around for awhile and to not list it might ding the credibility of your site a bit.

It's a great effort, Mel, and I agree, there's room for your site right alongside LAMP, especially from an accessibility standpoint.

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 07:13:42 PM »
If you're setting out to create something that's more objective, you'll probably want to include a link to MPF where you list the forums.  As dead as it is these days, it's still been around for awhile and to not list it might ding the credibility of your site a bit.

When perusing the site I also noted it's absence... that is very big of you to offer that up Holiday! 

Great work Mel.  How can we contribute?  Can we offer authentications? 

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 08:44:02 PM »
When perusing the site I also noted it's absence... that is very big of you to offer that up Holiday!  

Great work Mel.  How can we contribute?  Can we offer authentications?  

Absolutely - please do.  Looking for anything and everything:

- Other excellent collections on the Internet that I've missed (I'll be adding more soon)

- Other good reference sites, blogs, etc.

- Showcase collections e.g. the best Japanese B1s, the best Dirty Harry posters, whatever your interest is.  However, I can't accept second rate or small photos or files that are poorly organized.  Each image must have a clean appearance, have an informative title (ex. "Star Wars (1977 US OS Style C)" and must be at least 700 pixels vertical but no more than 1200 vertical. The best source for free photos is Heritage, followed by impawards and movieposterdb (nominal charge for downloading).

- New or improved authentications with LARGE HIGH QUALITY pictures - SHOW DON'T TELL is my mantra.

Poor organization, outdated design, and small photos plague most movie poster websites.  I'm aiming to change that.

Please email with any ideas, etc. to alphamel1968"at"gmail.com or post them here.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 09:21:26 PM »
Improved links section - added MPF, Expresso, more poster collections, blogs, other poster reference sites, etc.

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 06:00:01 AM »
... in the interests of accuracy, in the links to other forums, it's NSFGE - that's NOT SUITABLE FOR GENERAL EXHIBITION (not PUBLIC as stated).

Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 07:48:16 AM »
or better yet, NOT SUITABLE FOR ANYTHING  ;)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 10:52:03 AM »
Holy smokes, that's fantastic, Mel - and thanks for linking to my website! 

One favor though, could you link to the new URL of "http://petersmovieposters.com/", I'm trying to steer folks away from my earthlink site but am leaving it up until the search engines finally find the new one, which they seem to be taking their sweet time about...

Oh, you could also make your logo bigger, it's not quite filling my screen when I first pop in.  ;)

--Peter

For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 10:47:36 AM »
Hi Mel-
I've been looking over the site some more and I think it is shaping up to be a reference site for collectors!  I've done a fair bit of web design (in the old days so unfortunately I'm not familiar with modern development tools or HTML5) so I'm happy to offer some constructive criticism if it would help.  Please don't take my suggestions the wrong way:

• When I went to bookmark the page, the title bar only says "HOME"... it should read "Movie Poster Collectors: The one stop shop for.... blah, blah, blah" or whatever. 
  • The logo needs to be MUCH smaller... even on my 27" high res monitor it took up half the screen.  When I loaded it on my laptop I could *only* see the logo.  I would pick a shorter font and do what ever you can to make it half the current height at a minimum, 1/3 would be better.  The best option might be to fit it all on one line instead of splitting it across two.
  • I think you need some navigation links across the top of the home page (same as what you have on the sub-pages)
  • The "OUTSTANDING MOVIE POSTERS" link on the home page links back to the home page (circular loop), not the correct "Outstanding..." page.
  • On the sub-pages you might want to make the title of the page (e.g. "Authentications") stand out more.  In the example below, again because the title logo is so massive, you barely notice what page you are on.  First off, I would utilize your full header area -- as is there is too much wasted space.  To do this you can stretch out both the nav bar (and use a slightly larger font for the links) and the logo (again, maybe 1/3 existing height with full name on one line).  The make the "Authentications" text large and in a different color than the main text.  You could use this same layout for all the sub-pages and even the home page.  Consistency is important when dealing with common elements like logos, navigations and footers.
  • Speaking of footers, I would keep your navigation links on the top and bottom the same... there is no reason for these to be different.  I personally like the style you used at the top.

I realize these are nit-picky changes so feel free to ignore them if don't agree.  I mainly think that you should try to conserve you vertical space as much as possible and full utilize your horizontal space.  Modern wide-screen monitors are a terrible way to browse the web.  Most websites have acres of unused space on the sides (which is necessary for backwards compatibility with 4:3 monitors)... don't cripple it further by making your logo so tall.  Even on your sub-pages where you reduced the logo size, it is still huge.  The below screen shot was taken on my brand new high res laptop screen... you can barely see any content. 

Anyway, sorry to ramble.  The fact that my recommendations are nit-picky should be a good thing as it means you already have a really solid site.  Keep up the great work!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 11:48:31 AM »
Thanks for all the helpful comments, HC.  I'll try to adopt most or all of them.

Unfortunately, I built the site in iWeb, which is relatively primitive BUT well-suited for visual presentations.  I used to be very savvy with Dreamweaver, which has many advantages for a large site but I no longer have the program and can't spend 30 hours relearning it.

My goal is to create a basic site for a newbie who knows next-to-nothing about movie posters.  It's really a site you can say "hey, check out moviepostercollectors.com if you're thinking about getting into the hobby." 

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 11:54:39 AM »
My goal is to create a basic site for a newbie who knows next-to-nothing about movie posters. 

I think you have already done that sir. I have already used it and sent the link to a fellow newb.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 12:33:18 PM »
Glad to help... you are doing great work.

By the way, I just found this link: http://browsersize.googlelabs.com/

Go there and enter your URL.  Look at where your "HOME" text shows up and then follow that to the left to see which percentage it lines up for the overlay.  What that means is that only about 30-40% of visitors will be able to see that home text *without* first having to scroll down. 

If you want to give users something to look at besides a black background (not the central grey part), you could try to do something like: http://aintageek.com/  The background image centers itself and you see more or less of it depending on how wide your screen is.  You could try something like this for MPC but make sure you use a very small image otherwise it will be a pain to load every time.  Just an option... I have no idea how to code it.