Author Topic: 2011  (Read 587607 times)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
Re: January 2011
« Reply #225 on: January 30, 2011, 08:26:47 PM »

Up in smoke is an upgrade from folded to rolled.

Brilliant...i cant think of a more suitable description   ;D

Stew

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #226 on: January 30, 2011, 10:47:54 PM »
Finally landed a Planet of the Apes poster - and I especially like this one given my locale - might bring it to the office:

Bad news is that I'll probably want to get the whole series now, which is not cool for my wallet....

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #227 on: January 30, 2011, 10:52:02 PM »
This is one of my most recent acquisitions:

I second Ted's question... is this a rolled original or is it on linen?  Either way it is a fantastic poster, but hoo boy, if that is rolled they will have to invent a new classification of rare for you!

An iconic poster for an iconic movie.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #228 on: January 30, 2011, 11:08:44 PM »
I second Ted's question... is this a rolled original or is it on linen?  Either way it is a fantastic poster, but hoo boy, if that is rolled they will have to invent a new classification of rare for you!

It's for sale here, Harry.  It's LB.  I like Matt and I've bought stuff from filmartgallery before, but I don't think this poster should have been posted as a "latest acquisition" since it's not a personal acquisition.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #229 on: January 30, 2011, 11:21:49 PM »
Thought I better get in on the Rocky 2 craze. The white one is a bit rough, but was free which is my favorite kind of poster purchase.

]

Very cool Dale - that's rolled, right?  Mine is rolled too - a little unusual for a 1979 poster.  

How did you get that for free?  A folded version just sold for $275!

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #230 on: January 31, 2011, 01:50:35 AM »
It's for sale here, Harry.  It's LB.  I like Matt and I've bought stuff from filmartgallery before, but I don't think this poster should have been posted as a "latest acquisition" since it's not a personal acquisition.

Hmm, thats a tough point.

All I can do is come from MY POV, I am and have never been a full time dealer (Actually I lie I was for 6 months a few years ago). But most COLLECTORS at some stage need to sell, or want to sell. And the line between dealers and collects really is blurred, except in some cases (theres a few dealers around here who will admit they DO NOT COLLECT).

For me, I have many thousands of posters, and nearly ALL are for sale, I like to keep certain items/genres/directors/studios/whatever, and I also have over the years bought things, i like/want/think is undervalued/can flip for a buck/whatever.

I have items I bought 10+ years ago with only the intention to SELL, and still have them.

So. what I mean is, latest aquisitions, shouldn't be JUST for COLLECTORS, sellers are also BUYERS, and the best sellers are ALSO collectors. If they decide to put a $ on it and hope it sells. Good on em, they might even seek and rebuy again later (I have done many a time).

Its NOT us and THEM, and the good dealers are also those that love having anything special if its just for a few days, or weeks or months.

PLUS if it weren't for people selling, you would have.... hmm... kinda not many posters.

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #231 on: January 31, 2011, 03:26:55 AM »
This is one of my most recent acquisitions:

This is closer to a dealer advert than a latest acquision. The post was probably made in all honesty to show a possibly interesting poster. If Kinoart, emovieposter, etc were to post their latest acquisions in these threads, these threads would lose their meaning. I think the thread should only show acquisions that were meant to be kept for a long time. I am interested in seeing what people have bought to put on their walls, or to look at occasionally in a nice moment, what gives them joy. Not what is for sale.

agentprovocateur

« Reply #232 on: January 31, 2011, 07:45:03 AM »
Some amazing posters guys, the yellow 'Rocky II' is great... can anyone tell me why the 'Night of the Living Dead' one sheet with green writing is so rare/sought after?

Just received my German Matrix 'Lightning' 1 and 2 sheets*... not a completonist at all ;D

* have a look at the colour cast of the two German posters compared to the one sheet (under the other two on the left). I wonder why they gave the one sheet a much bluer cast?

And after finding my framed 'Marnie' last week I wondered what else I'd forgotten I had tucked away... again not strictly new purchases but as they haven't seen the light of day for around 10 years I thought I'd be allowed! :-\

Bought this folded '2010' years ago... great atmospheric art.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #233 on: January 31, 2011, 07:46:39 AM »
Very cool Dale - that's rolled, right?  Mine is rolled too - a little unusual for a 1979 poster.  

How did you get that for free?  !

It is rolled,that one I paid for, the one stop panel was the freebie.

agentprovocateur

« Reply #234 on: January 31, 2011, 07:58:08 AM »
And now for some oddities!

I found this envelope with a folded poster in it and didn't have a clue what it was, once I'd unfolded it I was really surprised to see it's a 'Hitcher' quad, don't remember buying it but the art is quality with nice bright colours...

These two, never fear, I didn't buy them... I seem to remember years ago a friend I worked with knew I collected film posters and gave them to me for Christmas :)

'Smoke' by Walt Disney, nope, never heard of it!

And 'The Plague Dogs', from the makers of 'Watership Down'... well go figure!

Amazing what you find in old draws ;D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 12:30:09 PM by agentprovocateur »

agentprovocateur

« Reply #235 on: January 31, 2011, 08:48:01 AM »
... and whilst I was uploading the last images another tube was delivered! So I'm back on 'new acquisition' track!

'Lost in Translation' one sheets, Scarlett and Bill in pristine nick :)

They're only single sided and pretty sure they pass all authenticity checks, but if not feel free to let me know!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #236 on: January 31, 2011, 10:00:08 AM »
... and whilst I was uploading the last images another tube was delivered! So I'm back on 'new acquisition' track!

'Lost in Translation' one sheets, Scarlett and Bill in pristine nick :)

They're only single sided and pretty sure they pass all authenticity checks, but if not feel free to let me know!

Looks good to me - I posted a basic authentication on MPC - skin tone looks natural and it's not cropped like the reprint I purchased (of course, no guarantee that all reprints are cropped like mine).

Did you get them from movieposterzone (Max)?  That guy has tough-to-find originals.  

agentprovocateur

« Reply #237 on: January 31, 2011, 10:51:59 AM »
Mel your website was the first place I went to check the authenticity of the Scarlett 'Lost in Translation'... after checking the amount of building in the top right and the colour cast of Scarlett's head I was happy.

It was Max of movieposterzone who I got them off, sent me photos of the actual posters when asked and his packaging was superb, they're both in pretty damn fantastic nick as well.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #238 on: January 31, 2011, 11:17:38 AM »
It was Max of movieposterzone who I got them off, sent me photos of the actual posters when asked and his packaging was superb, they're both in pretty damn fantastic nick as well.

I'd like to know that guy's story, where/how he gets his stuff.  Probably got them for next to nothing and sells to us rubes for $$ and - hypothetically speaking - Uncle Sam remains blissfully oblivious of the profits.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #239 on: January 31, 2011, 01:33:08 PM »
The Hitcher is amazing...that Smoke Quad..would that be starring Mr Ron(ny) Howard by any chance ?

Stew
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 02:15:37 PM by stewart boyle »

agentprovocateur

« Reply #240 on: January 31, 2011, 01:43:21 PM »
Was really impressed when I unearthed 'The Hitcher' quad, had a look through emovieposter and only found the US one sheet with completely different art... just googled Ron Howard, yep, looks like he's the kid with 'The whole world against him...'!

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #241 on: January 31, 2011, 01:50:52 PM »
He He...i wonder how old he was when filmed ?..the caricature reminded me of myself and and my first Alsatian called Scooby.. ;D

Stew

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #242 on: January 31, 2011, 02:26:57 PM »
Love the Hitcher Agent....

"Gas? I dont need gas." Hauer was awesome plus I always had  Jennifer Jason Leigh thing since Fast Times.  8)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #243 on: January 31, 2011, 02:27:33 PM »
Hmm, thats a tough point.

All I can do is come from MY POV, I am and have never been a full time dealer (Actually I lie I was for 6 months a few years ago). But most COLLECTORS at some stage need to sell, or want to sell. And the line between dealers and collects really is blurred, except in some cases (theres a few dealers around here who will admit they DO NOT COLLECT).

For me, I have many thousands of posters, and nearly ALL are for sale, I like to keep certain items/genres/directors/studios/whatever, and I also have over the years bought things, i like/want/think is undervalued/can flip for a buck/whatever.

I have items I bought 10+ years ago with only the intention to SELL, and still have them.

So. what I mean is, latest aquisitions, shouldn't be JUST for COLLECTORS, sellers are also BUYERS, and the best sellers are ALSO collectors. If they decide to put a $ on it and hope it sells. Good on em, they might even seek and rebuy again later (I have done many a time).

Its NOT us and THEM, and the good dealers are also those that love having anything special if its just for a few days, or weeks or months.

PLUS if it weren't for people selling, you would have.... hmm... kinda not many posters.

The voice of reason once again Ari,i do agree that someones latest aquisitions may not be out of place if availiable for purchase too..I perhaps would have double posted,one in latest and another in for sale...

Stew

Film Art Gallery

« Reply #244 on: January 31, 2011, 02:50:22 PM »

Sorry for the delay. Yeah, this was a really cool find. It is a linen. It is on my site. You can check it out here: http://filmartgallery.com/posters-Night-of-the-Living-Dead-5612.cfm

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #245 on: January 31, 2011, 03:11:32 PM »
Was really impressed when I unearthed 'The Hitcher' quad, had a look through emovieposter and only found the US one sheet with completely different art... just googled Ron Howard, yep, looks like he's the kid with 'The whole world against him...'!

It certainly is him. I posted this poster about two months ago, and made reference to his Hair!! 
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #246 on: January 31, 2011, 03:19:31 PM »
It certainly is him. I posted this poster about two months ago, and made reference to his Hair!! 

I think his hair is lovely....strawberry blonde i believe... ;D

Stew

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #247 on: January 31, 2011, 03:21:32 PM »
 spew

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #248 on: January 31, 2011, 03:27:06 PM »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #249 on: January 31, 2011, 03:35:15 PM »
I think his hair is lovely....strawberry blonde i believe... ;D

Stew

It was more the lack of it now...     more a sort of "Pine".
It's more than a Hobby...