Author Topic: What did you just watch?  (Read 919098 times)

Mirosae

Re: What did you just watch?
« Reply #3400 on: March 23, 2016, 05:07:45 PM »

What year is Hail, Caesar ?

Singing in the rain was my last screening I will do for the film Society as I soon move cities for the new job. I need to train tomorrow 2 over 60 year olds how to run the projection / sound equipment which has proven to be always problematic even for me... Good luck to them next month!

Oh, last night I also showed a Charlie Chaplin short called the Immigrant which was humorous

It is a new film, but if you watch this trailer you will understand why I said what I said. And I am sure your film Society will miss you, it seems you guys have a great time there.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kGpsXuMvApo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/kGpsXuMvApo</a>

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3401 on: March 24, 2016, 11:55:30 AM »
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 12:29:26 PM by Neo »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3402 on: March 25, 2016, 03:33:40 PM »
Ive been on a bit of a documentary kick lately and last night, I watched the Jeffrey Schwarz-directed docu I Am Divine, the 2013 film about Harris Glenn Milstead, better known as Divine, who passed away in 1988 at the age of only 42, from a heart attack. It happened the night before he was to start a role that had been added and written for him, on the sitcom, "Married With Children."

I enjoyed this a lot, and it contains many interviews of folks he worked with as well as his mom.

thumbup from me.

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #3403 on: March 26, 2016, 07:46:14 AM »

Knight of Cups (2015).  A+

Brandon, thanks a lot for your recommendations, you always find something new and appealing to watch! And great poster too. Are you getting one for your collection??

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3404 on: March 26, 2016, 12:34:29 PM »
Ive been on a bit of a documentary kick lately and last night, I watched the Jeffrey Schwarz-directed docu I Am Divine, the 2013 film about Harris Glenn Milstead, better known as Divine, who passed away in 1988 at the age of only 42, from a heart attack. It happened the night before he was to start a role that had been added and written for him, on the sitcom, "Married With Children."

I enjoyed this a lot, and it contains many interviews of folks he worked with as well as his mom.

thumbup from me.

Sounds interesting.  Looks like he was quite a character. 

On a side note, Married with Children is such a great show, although personally I could not watch for more than a few minutes.  The Bundy family was magical.  Mr. Milstead surely would have been a nice addition to the show.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3405 on: March 26, 2016, 12:55:37 PM »
Brandon, thanks a lot for your recommendations, you always find something new and appealing to watch! And great poster too. Are you getting one for your collection??

Gracias, seņora.

It's a cool poster, and there are currently not many available, as the film is a very limited release.  The one sheets are getting some of the highest prices for a new release, and only 4(?) originals have sold recently on eBay.

Soo, until the prices get much lower, or I can pick one up from a local theater, I probably won't be adding one to my humble collection.  

In any case, it's a beautiful movie.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 02:51:46 PM by Neo »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3406 on: March 26, 2016, 01:00:06 PM »
Finding Vivian Maier (2013)

The fascinating, AA nominated documentary about nanny, Vivian Maier, and her unknown world of street photography. Director John Maloof bought a box of negatives in 2007, when he was looking for photos on a real estate book he was working on. What he discovered was a treasure trove of never before seen or printed works by this rather eccentric woman. Everyone she worked for knew next to nothing about her, as well..

An interesting watch, for sure.

-Jeff

Offline StarryKat

• Beginner
« Reply #3407 on: March 26, 2016, 01:03:09 PM »
Such an amazing documentary but leaves you wondering what she would have wanted as she seemed like such a private lady, never showing her photography or mentioning it to anyone!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3408 on: March 26, 2016, 01:08:50 PM »
That question was asked and of those that knew her, most said that while she may have liked to have some of her work seen, she would very likely have avoided the limelight.

Others said that these hundreds of thousands of images were like her "babies" and she would Not have wanted this, or the exposure, at all.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 01:09:23 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3409 on: March 26, 2016, 01:23:26 PM »

Finding Vivian Maier (2013)

Just saw this yesterday.  Excellent movie, and Ms. Maier's photos are truly remarkable.   thumbup thumbup

That question was asked and of those that knew her, most said that while she may have liked to have some of her work seen, she would very likely have avoided the limelight.

Others said that these hundreds of thousands of images were like her "babies" and she would Not have wanted this, or the exposure, at all.

I understand that some may view that as a dilemma, although there is no evidence suggesting she would not want her work shared with anyone, let alone the whole world.  In that sense, I think it's OK to showcase these hidden treasures.

Offline StarryKat

• Beginner
« Reply #3410 on: March 26, 2016, 01:35:57 PM »
I think the part that made me rather uneasy was the fact that these men who now own her photography were the ones making money off it but I guess that's what dealers do! Plus the alternative would mean that we never saw her photography at all.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3411 on: March 26, 2016, 01:42:04 PM »
I think the part that made me rather uneasy was the fact that these men who now own her photography were the ones making money off it but I guess that's what dealers do! Plus the alternative would mean that we never saw her photography at all.

That bothered me, too... and doing a little more research, after watching the film, it turns out that another relative/heir of hers, in France, has had some kind of injunction put into place here in the US.

Galleries and such have been halted from selling her prints, until it is all figured out. Especially, as was noted, that some of her prints are selling for $2K a piece.

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3412 on: March 26, 2016, 02:14:20 PM »

Yeah, I know what you mean.  This is an extraordinary case, though, as these guys acquired them legitimately, and Ms. Maier's relatives did not even know about all her stuff, and the one relative in question now did not even know about Ms. Maier.  

The rightful heirs should be accommodated, but the dealers in this case, as you said, are the ones who brought to light her amazing photos and story.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 02:50:44 PM by Neo »

Mirosae

« Reply #3413 on: April 04, 2016, 03:35:28 AM »
In a big screen The Big Sleep. Nothing more to say. Pure class.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3414 on: April 04, 2016, 05:47:29 AM »
^ Good for you thumbsup.gif

Mirosae

« Reply #3415 on: April 06, 2016, 05:43:16 AM »
This scene from The Big Lebowski is one of my favourite scenes in film history. Right up there at the top. What a film. There is a time when you realised that some movies will stay with you forever. "Dios mio man"

We Enjoyed it again in a BiG SCreen yesterday.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GZR58d77a4A" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/GZR58d77a4A</a>
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 05:43:32 AM by Mirosae »

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3416 on: April 06, 2016, 08:36:22 PM »
Agree Rosa on this scene and The Big Sleep. Have watched both countless time now.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3417 on: April 06, 2016, 08:37:24 PM »
^ Good for you thumbsup.gif

Yes!

I was happy to see Casablanca on the big screen a few years back.

Mirosae

« Reply #3418 on: April 07, 2016, 03:07:54 AM »
Yes!

I was happy to see Casablanca[/b] on the big screen a few years back.

It gets better and better on a big screen doesn't  it? Glad you enjoyed it Alex.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3419 on: April 10, 2016, 06:43:02 PM »
Always better on the big screen and with a big load of people.

Just watched Outlander first episode season two. Harsh I thought. Been pretty harsh a while now so I am not surprised. Just a different type of harsh.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #3420 on: April 10, 2016, 09:31:46 PM »
Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father

I had read NOTHING about it

which is always the best way to go into something.

I admit I cried.

pretty good, some of the editing techniques I did not like.

But the story was so powerful it didnt matter.

fark, still feel a bit sick/numb/sad.

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Mirosae

« Reply #3421 on: April 11, 2016, 06:27:56 AM »
^ Never heard about it..but it feels like a bit sad....

Somehow I am in a Spring sprung  mood..so need to watch light films....joy & happiness  :)

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #3422 on: April 11, 2016, 05:37:24 PM »
Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father

I had read NOTHING about it

which is always the best way to go into something.

I admit I cried.

pretty good, some of the editing techniques I did not like.

But the story was so powerful it didnt matter.

fark, still feel a bit sick/numb/sad.

It is soul crushing.
^ Never heard about it..but it feels like a bit sad....

Somehow I am in a Spring sprung  mood..so need to watch light films....joy & happiness  :)

Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3423 on: April 14, 2016, 02:26:33 PM »
Bug (2006), directed by William Friedkin. I had no idea what this movie was about, but Friedkin's name and Ashley Judd pulled me in. What a creepy, psychological thriller, with a small cast, including Michael Shannon & Harry Connick, Jr. Set in arundown motel in rural Oklahoma. It was a trip, that's for sure. I enjoyed it.  thumbup

-Jeff

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3424 on: April 18, 2016, 11:41:45 PM »
BUG is so underrated.  I think most people don't realize it even exists.  One of my favorite films from him.