Author Topic: Idiots who bid early should be shot!  (Read 22240 times)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: Idiots who bid early should be shot!
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2010, 11:39:29 AM »
Really Mel, I can't believe you are arguing in favor of this type of auction behavior.  Sure, it is within everyone's right to list a $5 poster with opening bid of a million dollars.  But you are saying you would rather have auctions run like that, than have million dollar posters open for $5 because the few low bids up front are somehow annoying to you?  

I'm frankly dumbfounded at the position you are taking right now...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2010, 11:41:32 AM »
If you were selling that poster Harry, would you be glad to take a chance on starting at $1, no reserve?. I know I wouldn't. I would want a fair price for what it is, and at an auction that is not guaranteed, without a reserve. Unfortunately we need to look at selling as well as buying.    

Nice poster though.

But Mel is saying he doesn't like reserve prices either.  I'm just arguing that if we let someone decide the FMV before the auction then it really isn't an FMV now is it? 

As for me personally, I WOULD NEVER SELL THIS POSTER IF IT WAS MINE  ;D

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2010, 11:54:23 AM »
I think what we have is a case of how auction house's were, and are run. And how ebay is run, and what thru another spanner in the works was when Bruce set up his site. I think it's nice to have the mix, though as a buyer I would like every auction to start at $1. At least there's some hope of getting that bargain.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2010, 12:03:42 PM »
I agree that options are good.

I just thought this thread was about things that piss of buyers.  And I can't imagine that a few measly low bids on a high ticket item would piss off a buyer more than having someone else decide the FMV and opening bids.   

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2010, 12:23:53 PM »
I think it was what pissed Eatbrie off, but he's French, they are always starting something, and they invented the saying, C'est la vie. ;)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2010, 03:02:26 PM »
I think what we have is a case of how auction house's were, and are run. And how ebay is run, and what thru another spanner in the works was when Bruce set up his site. I think it's nice to have the mix, though as a buyer I would like every auction to start at $1. At least there's some hope of getting that bargain.

sory Paul.. I'm still going to start my auctions at 99 cents whether you like it or not

laugh1

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2010, 03:43:58 PM »
Cheapest auctions in town. hitself

I have heard you Americans say "Penny" how many are in a Dollar Or is penny a word for Cent?

• Post-aholic
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2010, 04:11:29 PM »
Cheapest auctions in town. hitself

I have heard you Americans say "Penny" how many are in a Dollar Or is penny a word for Cent?

yes Paul, a penny is a cent

the term comes from the fact that iron nails used to have a certain weight and were sold by the "penny weight"
a cent was the same weight as a 1 penny nail (the term is still used for nails, but made from steel alloy, no longer have the same weight as iron nails did)

a 5 cent piece is a nickel or an Indian, because for very many years they had an indian head on the face

a quarter is called 2 bits. This term derived from dollar coins that in Colonial times were die cut so that you could break off a piece to make a purchase with. They were divided in 8 pieces, with a "bit" being 12.5 cents, ergo 25 cents is 2 bits and a 50 cent piece was a "half" or 4 bits

a dollar bill is a Washington and a 100 dollar bill is a Benjamin after the 2 famous Americans whose faces are on them

a $5 bill is a "fin"
a $10 bill is a "sawbuck"
a $20 bill is a "double sawbuck"

1000$ is a grand

in gambling parlance, a $100 is "a dollar" so when playing craps "I bet a dollar on the pass line" means $100 bet
also $1000 is a "dime"

most of these terminologies are forgotten with today's youth and I wouldn't be surprised if some of our members have never heard them before

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2010, 04:23:41 PM »
Thanks for that Rich, very informative. Now I know what the Marx Bro's are talking about. :) 

• Post-aholic
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2010, 04:24:12 PM »
Thanks for that Rich, very informative. Now I know what the Marx Bro's are talking about. :) 

lol

-------