Author Topic: New Posters - Newbie question  (Read 3817 times)

Offline Andylong677

• Beginner
New Posters - Newbie question
« on: March 03, 2018, 04:46:44 AM »
Hi,
Sorry if this has been covered, I did try to find a previous answer but failed.

Although I would like to buy mainly older posters, there are a few new ones I like. However, I am nervous about buying any as there seems to be so many copies.

I have had a look through online databases and they show mainly older posters. Is there anywhere I can look to give me an idea of how the genuine newer posters should look/size/clues to ID fakes?

Many thanks

Andy

Andy

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: New Posters - Newbie question
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 05:36:43 AM »
The simple answer is buy from a trusted dealer or source.. Dale is one, Emoiveposter, Movieposterbid, or put a want add on the forum..  I'm sure many will help out.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Andylong677

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 11:11:50 AM »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the sound advice. Had a look at emovieposter and movieposterbid but who/what is Dale?

Thanks

Andy
Andy

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 11:35:18 AM »
Hey Andy,

Dale is a great poster dealer, who sells more of the current material. He packages well and ships very fast. Plus, he's also a member here.  thumbsup.gif

Here's his profile link: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php?action=profile;u=6
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 11:43:38 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 11:53:59 AM »
A link to Dale’s shop, he’s one of the best - http://stores.ebay.com/Movie-Posters-4U

Agree with choosing your sellers wisely. A few titles aside, if you ensure the measurements are 27 x 40” and if the poster is double sided, it’ll most likely be legit (single sided posters are legit too, just easier to reprint).

Mel has some good authentication comparisons on his site
http://moviepostercollectors.guide/Authentications.html
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 01:32:37 PM by Tob »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 11:58:28 AM »
And dont forget to check out Heritage's site and associated data base of previously auctioned posters. You need to create a free account and sign in to see what posters sold for, but the pics are clear and supersize and searching the DB is easy.

https://movieposters.ha.com/heritage-auctions-hall-of-fame-best-prices-realized.s?ic=browsecategory-all-sold-121515

-Jeff

Offline Andylong677

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 01:23:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Helps me to stay away from the fakes before I start getting a bit used to what I am buying.

Andy
Andy

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 04:49:34 PM »
Good luck Andy, do post what you get...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 06:14:33 AM »
Hi,
Sorry if this has been covered, I did try to find a previous answer but failed.

Although I would like to buy mainly older posters, there are a few new ones I like. However, I am nervous about buying any as there seems to be so many copies.

I have had a look through online databases and they show mainly older posters. Is there anywhere I can look to give me an idea of how the genuine newer posters should look/size/clues to ID fakes?

Many thanks

Andy

Try to buy from sellers who offer actual photos of the actual items as well.  This is being covered on another current thread started by JT who has been discussing stock images vs actual images.

emp and Heritage always show their images of the actual item that is being sold.

Best.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 12:06:03 PM »
Try to buy from sellers who offer actual photos of the actual items as well.  This is being covered on another current thread started by JT who has been discussing stock images vs actual images.

emp and Heritage always show their images of the actual item that is being sold.

Best.

I had a situation once where I purchased a modern, rolled poster based on a stock image. Like many, my thinking was that it would be pretty much pristine, as that how it was described and shown. It was packaged well, and also in one of those long, tight fitting cellophane wrappers.

All looked great until I carefully unrolled the poster. At the bottom of the poster, in a darker area of the image, was a pretty large printing defect. It was cloudy and light. An obvious printing flaw.

All worked out with the seller, who sent me another copy, but the point is, that I relied on a pristine looking stock photo, and received a damaged copy instead.

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 12:24:33 PM »
I had a situation once where I purchased a modern, rolled poster based on a stock image. Like many, my thinking was that it would be pretty much pristine, as that how it was described and shown. It was packaged well, and also in one of those long, tight fitting cellophane wrappers.

All looked great until I carefully unrolled the poster. At the bottom of the poster, in a darker area of the image, was a pretty large printing defect. It was cloudy and light. An obvious printing flaw.

All worked out with the seller, who sent me another copy, but the point is, that I relied on a pristine looking stock photo, and received a damaged copy instead.

Something you definitely need to watch for in newer stuff.  The seller often has multiple copies being sold at a fixed price.  Obviously, he won't be posting an image of every one.  That instance sounds like an honest mistake, and the seller made it right.

Just wanted to add that peter at movieposterexchange.com and rich at mpb.auction also run auction sites that post actual images. 
-Jay-

Offline oliverandelio

• Beginner
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 03:42:34 PM »
Hello!

I'm a total noob with movie posters... I just bought one on eBay, and then found this site. The person who I bought it from is cnc_icecream ( https://www.ebay.com/usr/cnc_icecream ). Does anyone know if this seller sells originals (are you able to tell by his store/reviews?)?

Thank you for your help!!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 03:51:01 PM »
 welcome1 to the forum and enjoy it, oliverandelio.

What poster did you buy on ebay? Can you post a pic?

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 03:56:26 PM »
Hello!

I'm a total noob with movie posters... I just bought one on eBay, and then found this site. The person who I bought it from is cnc_icecream ( https://www.ebay.com/usr/cnc_icecream ). Does anyone know if this seller sells originals (are you able to tell by his store/reviews?)?

Thank you for your help!!

Yes, you're fine.  Trusted seller.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline oliverandelio

• Beginner
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 04:03:24 PM »
Thank you, erik1925 and eatbrie ! Such a friendly group!
There are a few posters I decided I want to try and buy and suddenly found this world of movie poster collecting that I think is so cool and interesting!!

The poster is for a recent movie, "Love, Simon". This is the item I bought: https://www.ebay.com/itm/253520925529 and it only has a stock photo, and after reading through some of these forums I checked and saw that the seller has sold quite a few of these in this poster in this last month so became concerned.

Thanks for the help and support! Looking forward to learning more and collecting more posters! :)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 04:30:47 PM »
asking here is one way to find the honest sellers.

Dale is top notch and I would also suggest Jason Edgerly, also a member here

on my site, my auctions show the exact item being sold this week and I began using a measuring tape installed to my photography background so you can see the size next to the poster, although admittedly, we don't always line up the posters perfectly and may be 1/16 or 1/8 inch off

set sale items may be a stock photo, but have no doubt that any poster in stock will match perfectly the image of the item listed and in that same condition

ebay sellers - there is considerable variation between dealers, many of whom are not pros (meaning, it's not their day job), but asking here gets the answers

good luck on your collecting!

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------