Author Topic: Mel's new framed collection in Charlotte, NC (2016-present)  (Read 46244 times)

guest4955

Re: Mel's new framed collection in Charlotte, NC (2016-present)
« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2018, 03:11:38 PM »
The Astounding She Monster and friends?

They're Here Already!

"No one would have believed in the middle of the 20th Century that human affairs were being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than Man's."

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2018, 03:13:33 PM »
Nice Mel!!!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2018, 05:01:10 PM »
Very nice, Mel. Cool photo  thumbsup.gif

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #153 on: February 12, 2018, 05:51:49 PM »
Great trio Mel!

Mark

Offline hepcatpunk

• Hobbyist
« Reply #154 on: February 12, 2018, 07:18:17 PM »
Great 40x60"!!

How much does a frame like that run? I want to frame my Star Wars same size, but I'm sure it ain't gonna be cheap.  Gotta be a monster (pun intended) to hang as well.
-Brian

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #155 on: February 12, 2018, 09:39:30 PM »
Way to go big, Sundance Kid!!!

guest4955

« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2018, 04:52:40 AM »
Thanks all, and I "only" paid $1,500 for it - it's LBed/restored - from EMP, same as I paid for the much smaller 1S several years ago. Most collectors prefer the smaller size for various and sundry reasons. Frame is $150 from SpotlightDisplays.com.

Funny, one of my atty colleagues complained his wife gave him heck for spending $65 on a Scott Pilgrim - his favorite movie - Mondo poster! He finally framed it and displayed it ... in his office.

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2018, 07:31:39 PM »
Wow. That puts in context how spectacularly impressive the 40 x 60 is. :o

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #158 on: February 13, 2018, 08:17:37 PM »
Thanks all, and I "only" paid $1,500 for it - it's LBed/restored - from EMP

It's a cool poster, for sure.  Maybe I should watch it and start collecting on the title.  You know, if I haven't seen it, I won't buy it.  Is it a good movie?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #159 on: February 13, 2018, 09:21:48 PM »
The Astounding She Monster and friends?

They're Here Already!

"No one would have believed in the middle of the 20th Century that human affairs were being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than Man's."

Sorry to nit-pick, but how did you surmise that yours is likely the last surviving copy?  Your copy was from eMovieposter (backed in a European style) and Heritage has sold two other copies (one on paper and one on linen American style).  I'm sure Todd Spoor has one as well as he has one of the largest B horror and sci-fi collections of 30x40 and 40x60 cardstock posters. 

One thing I've learned collecting over the years is that there is probably always another one lurking out there somewhere...

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #160 on: February 13, 2018, 09:26:11 PM »
Lol, no "Astounding She Monster" is definitely not a good movie (unlike "War of the Worlds" and "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", which are both pretty great, especially the latter).  Great poster though.  It belongs to the rather large group of terrible 1950s sci-fi-fi flicks that are mostly remembered for their poster art (such as "Attack of the 50ft Woman" and "Invasion of the Saucer Men").

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #161 on: February 13, 2018, 09:58:05 PM »
Sorry to nit-pick, but how did you surmise that yours is likely the last surviving copy?  Your copy was from eMovieposter (backed in a European style) and Heritage has sold two other copies (one on paper and one on linen American style).  I'm sure Todd Spoor has one as well as he has one of the largest B horror and sci-fi collections of 30x40 and 40x60 cardstock posters. 

One thing I've learned collecting over the years is that there is probably always another one lurking out there somewhere...

Agree with you, Matt. Even if there is actually one example that has ever been auctioned or seen on the market (regardless of title), I would think that it's better to say that one owns "an only KNOWN copy."

And in the above case, there are at least 3 known copies (unless one of the HA copies was sent to emp, later on down the road).

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #162 on: February 14, 2018, 09:40:16 AM »
(unless one of the HA copies was sent to emp, later on down the road).

They all appear to be unique based on how they were restored and the described damage.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #163 on: February 14, 2018, 11:30:46 AM »
They all appear to be unique based on how they were restored and the described damage.

thumbup

So then there looks to 3 be (and maybe 4), unless Todd Spoor is possibly an owner of one of the HA copies (and assuming he has a copy).

When I went to his home and saw much of his framed/hung collection of 40x60s, I didnt see that one on the wall, but it could also have been stored away, as wall space quickly disappears with this size poster that's also framed.

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #164 on: February 14, 2018, 11:49:12 AM »
Yep, should have checked records.

Hot chicks sell....

XL: https://i.redd.it/nwssaruje7g01.jpg

Harder than it looks....

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #165 on: February 15, 2018, 10:24:47 AM »

Too true...when it's something I have, but never when it's something I want:)

guest4955

« Reply #166 on: February 18, 2018, 01:53:59 AM »
So I’ve devolved into an Olympics-watching zombie, so have spared the MPC forums from my reign of terror. But big developments have sprung up….

First, I fired my year-long assistant and his “senior care” employer bc I don’t need “care” and several other reasons. I can’t drive, sweep, or handle movie poster frames, but I can do most everything else, although VERY clumsily and slowly. Too bad, bc my former assist was FINALLY becoming competent with respect to MPs. So I hired another 33yo former assist “off the books” for 6 hrs a week and told him he had to cheerfully work on MPs for 2-3 hrs every week. We’ll see how long that lasts although I’m paying him very well…..

Second, I got booted off the “movies subreddit” (with 19 million members) for unknown reasons. I long ago stopped reading Reddit comments and blocked Reddit emails to avoid the evil trolls and looney tunes who infest there, which is too bad bc 85% of interactions are positive. (BTW the Internet evil trolls is a big problem for Olympians’ state of mind too. Lots of stories reporting that many go offline for the duration of the Olympics.)

I endorsed HA/EMP and promoted MPC.guide in the comments, which is presumably not permitted, so that probably killed me. Maybe they didn’t like so many unusual MP posts on a "movies" venue? So Reddit no mas…until I’m ready for more punishment. Reddit is weird, not really a forum. It gets deluged with new threads daily and members vote/comment immediately and never revisit that thread, so it’s very ephemeral.

My last submissions (and NOBODY has ever posted anything like them, though they may suck). Max your browser and click on images to expand (6000px horizontal on Reddit, not here:

Orig 'Bay pic:

Under bright lights and "remove color cast" by clicking on pure white envelope, looks like it actually appears:

Bad pic, great MP:

guest4955

« Reply #167 on: March 23, 2018, 09:12:57 PM »

guest4955

« Reply #168 on: March 23, 2018, 09:26:27 PM »
Traded Aussie Vesna for another copy of very rare surviving test proof of DDA 1S:

Vesna interviewed Saunders:

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #169 on: March 23, 2018, 11:51:53 PM »
Well done. Looks like you're re-acquiring some great ones in round 2.  clap

Are you on the hunt for many of your sold acquisitions from round 1, or are you mostly moving on to new stuff?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #170 on: March 24, 2018, 12:45:02 AM »

Nice.  Do you own the red dress version?  I never know which one is hard to find and which one is not.  Nice regardless.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #171 on: March 24, 2018, 08:10:57 PM »
The one with the red dress is more rare.

From Film on Paper:

Emovieposter also note that this particular print of style D was actually done in error and there are two versions of it out there:

Also note that this is the ultra-rare “red dress” variant of the Style D poster! These posters were sent as a sample to Disney (who insisted that the dress be changed to pink) and less than 100 were printed!

https://www.filmonpaper.com/posters/who-framed-roger-rabbit-one-sheet-kilian-mylar-style-d-usa/

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #172 on: March 24, 2018, 08:30:24 PM »
I always like it when I learn that I own something a little harder to find.  I refrain from calling it ultra rare, because 100 is not ultra rare.  It’s not even rare.  Just hard to find.

T
My Personal Collection

guest4955

« Reply #173 on: March 27, 2018, 10:54:47 PM »
Used to own red dress version, bought it from a Kilian salesman, who said it was a sample rejected by Disney.

Reddit promo:

“Almost all (obviously)”

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #174 on: March 28, 2018, 12:28:15 AM »
Wow! That big one is beautiful. Linenbacked? I've bid on that same poster a few times, but never have gotten one. I like the poster (yes, even though there are no decapitated heads or eyeballs being eaten or anything like that) but (GASP!) I have never seen the movie. BRAVO though. Well done and CONGRATULATIONS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!