Author Topic: From my vintage horror/sci-fi movie poster collection  (Read 21697 times)

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
Re: From my vintage horror/sci-fi movie poster collection
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2017, 01:44:55 PM »
Rich, I might change my arbitrary cut-off for collecting posters at some point in the future, as I do see some really good modern stuff every once in a while.  For now, the most recent poster I have (Nightmare on Elm Street OS) is from 1984, but who knows where things will be for me 10 years from now?

Jeff, I bought the Revenge of the Creature 6-sheet already linen backed.  Personally I wouldn't have done it, because the poster was in pretty nice condition to begin with, and I much prefer unbacked paper.  I have to say though that having it backed on sturdy linen allowed me to hang it on my wall for a while without getting it framed, which was a nice bonus.  I eventually had a large painting put in that spot, so the poster is now rolled in a tube in my storage room.

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2017, 01:59:19 PM »
Speaking of 6-sheets, I have this cool one for Isle of the Dead (1945).  The artwork is interesting to me because it includes some elements used on the one-sheet for another Val Lewton production for RKO, I Walked with a Zombie (the floating hand and the zombie-like woman in white in upper part).  I don't know who the artist is, but it seems that it was the same one who designed that other poster. 

I also have the OS for Isle of the Dead, with a completely different image of an all-green Karloff (in a lesser characterization from his more sinister expression on the 6-sheet IMO). 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2017, 02:04:32 PM »
Nice Isle of the Dead 6 sheet there, Benjamin. The re-use by RKO of those same artistic elements is great and also curious. I'd love to know the thinking of how and why they were chosen to be incorporated into this ad campaign.

'Tis another beauty, for sure.  bed1

-Jeff

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2017, 02:14:09 PM »
Here are a couple more 6-sheets in my collection: Strangler of the Swamp (1946) and The Thing That Couldn't Die (1958).  Unlike the 6-sheets for Isle of the Dead and Revenge of the Creature that I posted earlier in this thread, both of these posters use basically the same art as the OS. 

I like the size of 6-sheets, I just wish the format was a bit less square and more of a horizontal rectangle, as that seems more cinematic to me. 

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2017, 03:28:02 PM »
what I like about your collection is that you clearly have a good eye and go for image.

lots of great looking stuff.. not just great stuff

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2017, 04:01:55 PM »
Thank you Rich, you're too kind!  The way I look at my collecting is that movie posters are a visual medium, so I tend to go after paper that I find visually interesting, and not so much whether important or not said poster actually is.  There are plenty of highly collectable movie posters that I don't find all that great graphically, therefore I stay clear of those.  That's one of the reasons why my collection is far from exhaustive: I'm not a completist, I'd rather have what I think is the best image for any given movie (be it an American, French or Italian poster) instead of getting every single format and style available for that title. 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2017, 04:53:57 PM »
And the created visuals (meaning original art) done in such vivid and bright colors, as well as the wonderful artistry from those early decades, in many cases, is what I also find incredibly appealing, versus the artwork and/or photos used on material today.

In so many cases, it's like pure, artistic eye candy.

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2017, 07:44:32 PM »
Thank you Rich, you're too kind!  The way I look at my collecting is that movie posters are a visual medium, so I tend to go after paper that I find visually interesting, and not so much whether important or not said poster actually is.  There are plenty of highly collectable movie posters that I don't find all that great graphically, therefore I stay clear of those.  That's one of the reasons why my collection is far from exhaustive: I'm not a completist, I'd rather have what I think is the best image for any given movie (be it an American, French or Italian poster) instead of getting every single format and style available for that title.

sm1

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #108 on: May 07, 2017, 10:55:03 AM »

A big +1 on that! Well said.

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #109 on: May 09, 2017, 01:27:09 PM »
Here are a 2 country-of-origin French posters for Alphaville (1965) and Eyes Without a Face (1960), with art by Jean Mascii and Guy Gerard Noel respectively.  I always loved the moody Film Noir style of the poster for Alphaville.  I used to have Eyes Without a Face framed and displayed on my wall in my old place, but now it's back in storage.  I kinda miss it though, as I really love that movie.

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2017, 12:39:18 PM »

That Alphaville has always been one of my favorites for the title..a stunner for sure. As is the 'Eyes W/out...'., had no idea Noel did that one.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2017, 12:43:20 PM »
That Alphaville has always been one of my favorites for the title..a stunner for sure. As is the 'Eyes W/out...'., had no idea Noel did that one.

Hey Chris, Eyes W/O was done by Jean Mascii.  :)

-Jeff

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2017, 01:09:17 PM »
Hey Chris, Eyes W/O was done by Jean Mascii.  :)

Opps! :P Thanks for letting me know.

Never-the-less, gorgeous work all around.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2017, 01:30:25 PM »
Opps! :P Thanks for letting me know.

Never-the-less, gorgeous work all around.

I've always really liked both the 1P and smaller poster art that he did for this flick. I love the use of the intense red color on both styles of poster.

-Jeff

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2017, 01:56:25 PM »
Oops, of course Noel didn't do the art for Eyes Without A Face, it was indeed Mascii as Jeff correctly pointed out.  I initially wrote my post thinking that I was going to post a different poster (the French 47X63 for Fahrenheit 451), which was designed by Guy Gerard Noel, then changed my mind halfway through, yet forgot to amend what I wrote.  Sorry for the confusion!

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #115 on: May 11, 2017, 01:27:30 AM »
You have QUITE the collection for only being in the hobby for ten years. WOW!!! Oo la la!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #116 on: May 11, 2017, 10:58:06 AM »
Thanks Shawn!  I know I came late to the hobby so I tried to make up for lost time by focusing on only specific pieces.

Here are some more 1940s posters: a French 47X63 for The Uninvited (1946 first French release), a Belgian The Mummy's Ghost (1948 first Belgian release), and the US one-sheet for Return of the Vampire (1944).  I like the artwork by Boris Grinsson for The Uninvited, it's a nice (moodier) take on the US one-sheet design.  The Mummy's Ghost is one of only a handful of Belgian posters I own, as I'm usually not fond of those due to their small size.

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #117 on: May 11, 2017, 11:02:19 AM »
Dang--again, more beauties! You're like a magician, pulling them out of thin air. WOW! What will pop up next?
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #118 on: May 11, 2017, 12:17:15 PM »
Yet another STUNNING looking poster here, Benjamin. Beautious on so many levels.  bed1

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 01:39:49 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #119 on: May 16, 2017, 10:31:50 AM »
Thanks Shawn and Jeff, glad you appreciate these!  I have to say, I do love the style of French posters (especially from the 1940s and 1950s), they're quite more stylized than the rather realistic approach of American paper, as a comparison between the French affichette and the US one-sheet for The Cat and the Canary (1939) amply shows.  Both are based on the same overall design, but the treatment is markedly different.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #120 on: May 16, 2017, 12:35:39 PM »
Nice comparison there, Benjamin. And 2 very striking posters.  thumbsup.gif

I think in this example I'm liking the US art a bit better. The French art is a little two dimensional looking (for me). Plus, green is a favorite color of mine and works well on the OS. Any idea who the French artist is?

And like T's Second Chorus (Swing Romance) example earlier, it's interesting how the French poster is void of any production credits, including the director's name (aside from the Paramount name & logo).

I wonder why some were done this way.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 01:12:21 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #121 on: May 16, 2017, 04:52:33 PM »
I agree with you Jeff, I think in this case, the US poster for Cat and the Canary is the better of the 2.  I do like that old "C'est un film Paramount" logo though, it harks back to a more innocent time!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #122 on: May 25, 2017, 01:47:15 AM »
Ben, you have me curious. What is the Universal poster behind this one? I can see the Universal Film, Inc. peaking up from behind, in the blue lettering. My one guess is that it's a French poster.  ;)

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 02:02:26 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #123 on: May 25, 2017, 09:19:13 AM »
Jeff, that poster picking out from behind is a French affiche (24 X 32) for Horror of Dracula, designed by Guy Gerard Noel.  Most of the early Hammer classics were distributed in France by Universal, hence the logo on that poster.  I have a couple of drawers where I store all my smaller posters together, which is why Dracula can be seen under Cat and the Canary in that pic.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #124 on: May 25, 2017, 12:33:09 PM »
Thanks, Benjamin. This is certainly one of the best poster images for this title.  bed1

-Jeff