Author Topic: Drew Struzan's Ladyhawke  (Read 12559 times)

the-jace

Drew Struzan's Ladyhawke
« on: September 07, 2010, 04:33:35 PM »
Hey all  :D

I'm a huge Ladyhawke fan. For the longest time, the holy grail for me was a rolled Ladyhawke International 1-sheet.

The US version is pretty weak IMO but the international version done by Gil Formosa is just fantastic to me. After no less than 2 years of daily ebay searches, one turned up and I snagged it! With the amount of searching I've done for this poster, I have never once seen a Drew Struzan Ladyhawke show up.

Well, tons of moviegoods garbage, but nothing real.

Anyway, my hope is that someone can shed a little light on this poster for me:

Was the struzan poster ever produced and distributed? If so, was it distributed domestically (US) or international markets only? As popular as Struzan is, I would have expected to see this poster for sale at least once in the last couple of years.

Just curious!

-Onward

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Drew Struzan's Ladyhawke
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 04:38:31 PM »
IMAGE..................

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 05:53:06 PM »
Chris

the-jace

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 07:46:55 PM by eatbrie »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 07:20:40 PM »
http://www.impawards.com/1985/ladyhawke_ver3.html

I can't say much about the poster, as I know nothing about it, but next time, can you highlight the link and clink the "insert hyperlink" icon.  It takes a lot of energy to click the mouse button 8 times and move the mouse a few inches.   :D

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 07:47:03 PM »
I too have been looking for the Drew Struzan LADYHAWKE for years. 
The only point of reference to it's actual existence that I have ever seen is on Thierry's website...he's got one...

http://eatbrie.com/Struzan.html

Have you seen the quad? I found one several months back.  It is worth searching for....

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 08:02:18 PM »
Yes, I have a Struzan version as well - it was distributed in the US not internationally.

Mark
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 08:30:10 PM by marklawd »

the-jace

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 02:16:54 PM »
Sorry bout that Neoloco. I am a n00b afterall lol

Brude.... That quad is GORGEOUS. I saw one on evilbay that had already ended. Maybe the very same one you own lol. I would love to have a rolled version of that quad. If you ever decide to part with it...  ;D Another 80's quad I'd like to locate is The Last Starfighter (rolled) which is far superior to just about every other poster I've seen of that flick.

Marklawd: Thanks for the 411 on this. If it got domestic distribution it cant be all that rare. I guess I'll keep searching. It's gotta turn up eventually.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 02:54:14 PM »
Jace-
Here is a folded UK Quad right here...check it out...

http://www.originalposter.co.uk/fulldetails.asp?rid=2800

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 05:28:18 PM »
Another 80's quad I'd like to locate is The Last Starfighter (rolled) which is far superior to just about every other poster I've seen of that flick.
Hi!
Sorry we can't offer a rolled one, but here's a folded one which we have in stock ...

... that's on our list at 40 GBP (forty pounds sterling) plus shipping.

We also have another folded one on MoviePosterBid.com at a starting bid of 30 US dollars plus shipping - but that one has a sticker advertising 'Band-Aid Do They Know It's Christmas' below the main title text.

Best wishes,
Terry
Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

the-jace

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 11:25:51 AM »
Brude & Terry: Thanks for posting those! If I wasnt such a stickler for rolled posters  moron1 I would be all over those. If you ever come across a rolled one of either film keep me in mind!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 12:21:02 PM »
You got it, Jace...

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 03:26:59 PM »
Ditto.
Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 04:07:57 PM »
Can't imagine there are a whole lot of rolled quads around from that time period, that could take awhile to run down.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 04:17:54 PM »
Can't imagine there are a whole lot of rolled quads around from that time period, that could take awhile to run down.

I agree,i would rather have at least one example of a poster i wanted than wait for Mr Perfect to come along. That Starfighter quad is excellent condition.

Stew

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 06:46:28 PM »
I love folds.  It gives posters character.  Personally, I will never understand why people have such a hang up on rolled posters, especially since if you start collecting older posters, you will have to collect them folded.  I have a lot of older rolled posters, and that's fine, but I will never go out of my way to get a rolled version, especially on the rarer titles.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 06:52:10 PM »
I have a lot of older rolled posters, and that's fine, but I will never go out of my way to get a rolled version, especially on the rarer titles.

So says the person with one of the handful of rolled Jaws posters in existence!  ;)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 07:02:28 PM »
Like I said, if I see it, I get it, but a folded one would have been fine too.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

the-jace

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 02:31:00 AM »
Eatbrie: Normally I'd agree with you. My Tom Jung Star Wars is folded, so is my Raiders of the Lost ark, BTTF, Barbarella and every single James bond poster I own (up until Goldeneye and beyond) is folded. I'm OK with it in certain circumstances.

I guess with the aforementioned posters, I know that I'd never be willing to spend the money or go through the authentication hassles of tracking down original rolled of these and so I'm fine with them being folded. In fact, it took me forever to track down FOLDED copies of the intl. ladyhawke and Starfighter US advance, but I bought them folded anyway.

However, these are two of my absolute favorite childhood movies and so I just continued my searching until eventually I found rolled ones and even as rare as they seem to be, they didnt break the bank. If there's one thing I've learned these past few years, is that given enough time, anything you're looking for will probably show up on ebay.

Since I'm going with rolled already for these two films, there's really no sense for me to buy folded this time around when I'm only going to replace them eventually. If they were reasonably cheap I might pick em up for giggles but at 65 Pounds Sterling for the Ladyhawke, when i'm going to replace it anyway... I just dont have that kind of money. What I do have, is patience lol.

Onward

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 12:01:18 PM »
Finally, someone who speaks my language on this forum!  And he's not even French :)  Yes, Patience and Cheapness are key to a nice collection.  Folded, unfolded, what you said makes sense.

I don't own any Starfighter, but I too remember Ladyhawke fondly, and especially Michelle Pfeiffer, who was absolutely radiant in this movie.  This is what I own on the title so far.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 01:07:35 PM »
That is quite an extensive Ladyhawk collection T! I should have known though... if you like a title, you are a completist.  As a child of the 80s, I feel kind of stupid saying this, but I've never seen the movie.  Is it still worth watching?  Do you think it will hold up well with time?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2010, 01:08:18 PM »
As for rolled v. folded, usually that means one would be referring to 80s posters (although rolled 70s do show up once in a blue moon).  As for 80s, I get a bit bored by how common the folded ones are.  I mean, if I want a Raiders, or a Terminator, or a BTTF, or _______, I know I can go to eBay and find probably 2-5 folded copies listed right now.  I'm in this hobby for the excitement of tracking down rare pieces as much as I'm in it for owning them.  Because of that, I usually hold out for rolled posters... not for aesthetics or snobby reasons, but for the challenge!   

BTW, seeing as how you don't care either way, do you want to trade my folded Jaws for your rolled copy? ;)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 01:12:15 PM »
I have no idea.  It's been years since I've seen it.  In fact, I don't believe I've seen it since I saw it in theaters when it came out.  I'm pretty sure I saw it a few times, then.  Michelle Pfeiffer probably gave me a few boners, then.

That's me leaving the theater with my then girlfriend (circa 1985).
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 01:15:04 PM »
Oh, and Dick Donner directed it.  I think the guy knows what he's doing...  Superman 1 and 2, The Gonnies, Lethal Weapon 1, 2, 3, 4, etc
My Personal Collection

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2010, 01:25:20 PM »
I agree it is satisfying to track down scarce examples of unfolded posters which are more typically found folded - particularly from the mid 70's to early/mid 80's - and furthermore from an aesthetic point of view I think the image presents better as there is less distraction to the eye - particularly if the folded example is susceptible to colour loss along the fold-lines. I keep older folded posters under continual weight and if they are in good shape the fold lines become barely discernible over time.

Mark