Author Topic: Unicorns  (Read 250891 times)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Re: Unicorns
« Reply #350 on: October 23, 2011, 06:24:37 PM »

This is only the auction photo, but when it arrives I'll take a better one and see if there's any legitimacy issues with it!

Better pull out your checkbook big boy 'cause this one is not going for cheap.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #351 on: October 23, 2011, 06:41:41 PM »
Ian, actually if you look at the Thai poster, it has more image on left & right by an inch or so and maybe 1/4-1/2 inch on top as well. This is explained easily as when designing the posters, they aren't always laying out the same images the same way and also proportions are different in 27x40 & 27.5x29.5, even if only slightly. But I assure you, the poster I show in this thread is a US printed International, final version.

However, because we do know that most places Internationally used the Philosopher's Stone title, the question becomes:
1) was this poster a mistake and not distributed
2) was it distributed and if so where

I don't know, so maybe Marlawd does and can shed light.. or will after the auctions.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

agentprovocateur

« Reply #352 on: October 24, 2011, 02:27:03 PM »
Better pull out your checkbook big boy 'cause this one is not going for cheap.

uhno *

Ian, actually if you look at the Thai poster, it has more image on left & right by an inch or so and maybe 1/4-1/2 inch on top as well. This is explained easily as when designing the posters, they aren't always laying out the same images the same way and also proportions are different in 27x40 & 27.5x29.5, even if only slightly. But I assure you, the poster I show in this thread is a US printed International, final version.

However, because we do know that most places Internationally used the Philosopher's Stone title, the question becomes:

I don't know, so maybe Marlawd does and can shed light.. or will after the auctions.

Sorry if it seemed I was knocking this auction, not at all, I only decided to comment because I'd been looking into a few Harry Potter posters and thought it might be of interest that there was another version out there (with the slightly increased amount of image showing etc etc). I like the unearthing of little known / (very) rare posters and trying to track down the stories behind them.

* Holiday, I think I just realised why your comeback was so friendly and inviting... did you think I was talking about when I won the HP poster in the MPB auction? If so you got it slightly wrong, I was actually talking about the Intl Thai version I found on ebay (and posted a picture of) which I just purchased mesmrized

• Post-aholic
« Reply #353 on: October 24, 2011, 03:01:38 PM »
I didn't think you were running anything down Ian.. 
and Holiday means "Yeah.. try and win this poster while I'm around!"

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

agentprovocateur

« Reply #354 on: October 25, 2011, 10:56:42 AM »
Just trying to watch me p's and q's ;D

Yeah I was pretty sure Holiday was preparing the ground for auction commencement, it should go for pretty penny but can't believe it'll be higher than the Hagrid version!

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #355 on: October 25, 2011, 11:17:19 AM »

Yeah I was pretty sure Holiday was preparing the ground for auction commencement, it should go for pretty penny but can't believe it'll be higher than the Hagrid version!

Well, the only reason Hagrid sold for what it did was because of Rattler and I.  The bidding pretty much peaked out at 125.  Which I think is a fair price, but Rattler ran me up to 280 and Rattler ended up prevailing.  The closer it got to 300 the less I wanted it.   >:(

Rich and his damn free Pulp Fiction posters has me sucked into his auction site.  I feel like I owe him one, which will probably cost me two.. ;D

Brian
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 11:51:50 AM by ATLfun »
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #356 on: October 25, 2011, 06:55:51 PM »
...However, because we do know that most places Internationally used the Philosopher's Stone title, the question becomes:

I don't know, so maybe Marklawd does and can shed light.. or will after the auctions.

I don't know as well! I imagine it was a poster that wasn't used. I already have the "Philosopher's Stone" version one sheet which I don't think was widely used either. I paid $30 for that one a week or two ago and whilst I may bid on Rich's "alternative title" offering I have little interest in pushing it to the price level of the last HP poster he sold.

Mark

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #357 on: October 25, 2011, 09:33:15 PM »

I would hope not.  Completely different art versus a one-word difference shouldn't command the same premium.  But, on Any Given Wednesday....
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

agentprovocateur

« Reply #358 on: November 08, 2011, 07:44:18 AM »
What did the HP go for in the end? The last time I saw it'd reached $151.

Bruce

« Reply #359 on: November 08, 2011, 02:50:07 PM »
Was it more or less than the Bueller?

• Post-aholic
« Reply #360 on: November 08, 2011, 03:07:33 PM »
Was it more or less than the Bueller?

it was less than the Bueller

:P

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #361 on: November 08, 2011, 04:08:43 PM »
Well, out with it man... what did it sell for!  ;D

• Post-aholic
« Reply #362 on: November 08, 2011, 04:37:45 PM »
it's no secret Harry.. $151. about what I expected!!

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #363 on: November 08, 2011, 04:40:21 PM »
Thanks!

agentprovocateur

« Reply #364 on: November 09, 2011, 05:46:46 AM »
Cheers MPB... good price, am interested to see if any others turn up now.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #365 on: March 13, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
Who can find the Easy Rider US Lobby Card 8, a challenge recently posed on NS4?

Not the UK 8, which is easy to find:

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 08:47:31 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

• Post-aholic
« Reply #366 on: March 17, 2012, 04:18:35 AM »
is the Mallam's auction started yet

-------

agentprovocateur

« Reply #367 on: March 17, 2012, 04:28:56 AM »
30 mins mate... it's 8.30 here and it starts at 9 I think.

Charlie

« Reply #368 on: March 17, 2012, 04:29:42 AM »
30 mins mate... it's 8.30 here and it starts at 9 I think.

Web says 10:30; a couple of hours...

agentprovocateur

« Reply #369 on: March 17, 2012, 04:31:08 AM »
Cheers Charlie, my bad, I think there's an early viewing this morning from 9.

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #370 on: April 08, 2012, 04:00:30 AM »
Anybody have this Schindler's List unused Saul Bass design?  Pretty sweet.  Spotted it in Cmasterpieces' listing.  The Google God reports that only 200 were made and distributed to insiders.

There is one on eBay but I hope you can fork out a lot of money for it.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #371 on: April 08, 2012, 02:09:30 PM »
That is one fine looking interpretation for the film. VERY nice!!   thumbup thumbup

-Jeff

Offline dsonesheets

• Hobbyist
« Reply #372 on: November 06, 2012, 01:22:40 PM »
Hey there!  Steve aka dsonesheets here, and after being out of the poster loop (i.e. hardcore) for a while, I started reading a bunch and came across APF.  Immediately saw this Unicorn thread and thought I would help out and give some info on my own bonafide Unicorn, the Matrix International onesheet.

Scaled my own pic down from 11MB to an 800x600 pic, but can send the hi-res version if anyone needs it. 

First thing I noticed after reading this and then pulling a pic of my own (original's in storage in another state) is that the Believe the Unbelievable does not infringe on the Matrix title; it's underneath and both are clearly separate from one another.

Second, and most importantly, in my copy there is a definite reddish haze around the lightning, and an ever so slight redness in Trinity's lips.  I thought I read that some copies appear overly blue, and lack this distinctive feature although it appears on the German copies.  My English version definitely has this. 

Can't measure now, but when I see it again will do this.  Here's the pic I found.

Apart from that, I think, apart from the other International onesheet for the Matrix, I have every poster ever printed (English), including what I might call another Unicorn, the Reloaded subway lenticular, which is freakin awesome.  Only problem is, I need a light box for it, and that's gonna be a huge custom job, because it's huge.

Also, what does anyone think about the Batman Begins DS International onesheet?  Is that rare enough to be considered a unicorn?  Or do a lot of people have one?  Obviously the best paper for the first movie, and I have the Joker DS Japanese B1 for #2 and the IMAX DS OS for #3, so I'm set on that trilogy.

BTW, I know most people will want to come over and shoot me for saying, but I got my Matrix Int'l onesheet off ebay about 8 years ago for $12 and shipping.  Only one other guy put in one bid against me, I thought it was going to be a bloodbath.  Once I got that one, I sold my only slightly lesser condition copy to Holiday.  Mine has some slight right side edge wear, but apart from that is almost mint, and of course rolled.  It's especially awesome because not only is it an awesome poster, but I am a Matrix freak, so it's double awesome.  This one I will never sell, and I've never seen another since I got it.

Offline dsonesheets

• Hobbyist
« Reply #373 on: November 06, 2012, 01:29:22 PM »
BTW, here's the Batman Int'l DS OS.  Also, don't know if it's just me, but it took me almost 16 years to find a rolled Aliens International teaser OS.  Does that count as a unicorn?  Maybe just me, but I love it.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #374 on: November 06, 2012, 01:38:31 PM »

Welcome!

I just sold Thierry a rolled int'l Aliens teaser to replace his folded copy.  Those were the only two I've ever seen before yours though...