Author Topic: Unicorns  (Read 250888 times)

Offline CJ138

• Collector
Re: Unicorns
« Reply #175 on: October 23, 2010, 10:44:46 AM »
This is gonna be an interesting auction to watch (WAY out of my league) but I am sure this King Kong is someone's "unicorn"
http://movieposters.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7029&Lot_No=83244
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Bruce

« Reply #176 on: October 23, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
Those 10 foot high Austrians (one each of many titles) were discovered around 40 years ago and they have rarely found buyers. They are too tall even for those who have room to display three-sheets or six-sheets.

Bruce

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #177 on: October 23, 2010, 11:14:19 AM »
Those 10 foot high Austrians (one each of many titles) were discovered around 40 years ago and they have rarely found buyers. They are too tall even for those who have room to display three-sheets or six-sheets.

Bruce
Yeah, I can imagine. I thought it was difficult to display a 47x63. It will probably end up stored away out of sight somewhere...

Bruce

« Reply #178 on: October 23, 2010, 11:17:13 AM »
More likely it will end up being shipping back to the consignor as "reserve not met"!

hitself

Bruce

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #179 on: October 23, 2010, 12:58:52 PM »
This is gonna be an interesting auction to watch (WAY out of my league) but I am sure this King Kong is someone's "unicorn"
http://movieposters.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7029&Lot_No=83244

That is one poster I wish I could afford. I have thought about purchasing the AFI Re-creation of this poster. I am on the verge of pulling the trigger.

Cj

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #180 on: October 23, 2010, 02:57:14 PM »
Bruce is right about such massive items

I have some Coca-Cola paintings that are recreations of classic Coke ads from the 20s-30s that were done for a restaurant some 40 years ago. They are large, and I have displayed them at different times, but only where I could due to space.

for instance, I have a recreation of the great Haddon Sudbloom ad featuring Charlie McCarthy and the Coke Sprite (originally doen by Sundbloom in 1949). Sundbloom's piece would be better - if it exists (Sundbloom art is a long story), it probably isn't any bigger than 12-18 inches tall. This piece is 12 foot tall, and as you can suspect, it hasn't been displayed much.

Then I have another that repros an ad from 1923 - "6,000,000 sold each day"
this one is only 4 feet tall.. but it's 12 feet wide!!

right now the canvasses are rolled up in a tube 20 feet from where I'm sitting

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #181 on: October 23, 2010, 03:42:05 PM »

Bruce

What other titles were found?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #182 on: October 29, 2010, 07:06:08 PM »
I recently acquired one of my unicorns, so it is probably ok that I'm posting this.  I would have preferred one in better condition, but you take what you can get when it comes to unicorns, right?  Still trying to decide if I should restore this one or not... I'm thinking maybe no.  It is not falling apart.  And if it is ok for any poster to look tired and beat down, Deliverance would it be it.

I guess there is no hurry anyway as my wife absolutely will not let me display it!  She is totally grossed out by the huge vein-y eyeball staring into her soul... either that or the canoe-penetration/ass-rape symbolism, I can't tell which... maybe both.

As you all might have guess... I'm completely and entirely obsessed with this haunting poster.  I felt lucky to have found the one above at all... however, I just scored an even nicer copy.  As such, the one above is available for sale if anyone is interested.... please PM me if so.  I'm only looking to get out what I put in.  If there are no takers, I'll probably end up having it backed (I know :() and consign it to Dave for a while before sending it to auction sometime in the future. 

Here is my new one... a crappy cell phone pic, but probably C8-C9 with only some slight separation at the top and bottom cross folds!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #183 on: October 29, 2010, 09:33:33 PM »
Good for you, Harry.
Nice upgrade for such a cool poster.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #184 on: November 15, 2010, 11:28:57 PM »
Posted at NS4 today, the long-lost 24 sheet for Bride of Frankenstein (pic from movieposterdb):

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #185 on: November 16, 2010, 02:07:28 AM »
Elsa never looked better, at least Universal got the hair colour right.
It's more than a Hobby...

• Post-aholic
« Reply #186 on: November 16, 2010, 02:43:08 AM »
not the 24 sheet, though similar.. it's a small item.. go back and read Sean's description

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #187 on: November 20, 2010, 12:40:56 AM »
nem·e·sis (nm-ss)
n. pl. nem·e·ses (-sz)
1. A source of harm or ruin: Uncritical trust is my nemesis.
2. Retributive justice in its execution or outcome: To follow the proposed course of action is to invite nemesis.
3. An opponent that cannot be beaten or overcome.
4. One that inflicts retribution or vengeance.
5. Nemesis Greek Mythology The goddess of retributive justice or vengeance
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #188 on: November 20, 2010, 12:53:29 AM »
nem·e·sis (nm-ss)
n. pl. nem·e·ses (-sz)
1. A source of harm or ruin: Uncritical trust is my nemesis.
2. Retributive justice in its execution or outcome: To follow the proposed course of action is to invite nemesis.
3. An opponent that cannot be beaten or overcome.
4. One that inflicts retribution or vengeance.
5. Nemesis Greek Mythology The goddess of retributive justice or vengeance

6. Lousy bastard that outbids you at every turn until all you want to do is slay him with Karnak's amulet

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #189 on: November 20, 2010, 01:25:18 AM »
6. Lousy bastard that outbids you at every turn until all you want to do is slay him with Karnak's amulet

Maybe along the same lines as #3? 
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #190 on: November 20, 2010, 03:05:45 AM »
Maybe along the same lines as #3? 

sorta.. except you really wanna kill this son of a *****

moron1

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #191 on: December 18, 2010, 07:44:38 PM »
Two concept posters for ET just popped up on Ebay - yowza!  Has anybody seen these before?

These come from the design studio of BD Fox, which created the bike/moon poster, and appear to be legit.  

They are dry-mounted.  Are prototype posters dry-mounted before being "pitched" to directors?

I like this first one the best:

This historical artifact was an initial design from B.D. Fox & Friends, produced in advance as a poster prototype, a work in progress. B.D. Fox worked closely with director Steven Speilberg, making many changes to the design before the final version of the poster was approved. The following notes are written in pencil in the white margin on top of the poster "SHORTER FIGURE - HOTTER GLOW - HAND REACHING TOWARDS SKY". Indeed, these changes were made to subsequent versions of the poster, but ultimately this concept art was never released to the public as a theatrical poster.

This rare E.T. Concept Poster is in very good condition, professionally mounted on 3/16" thick Gator Board (it is unknown if it is acid-free or not). Poster Dimensions: 25 3/16" X 39 1/8" (approx. 64.3 x 99.4 cm). Board Dimensions: 27" X 41" (approx. 68.6 x 101.1 cm). All of the lettering, including the E.T. logo on the poster, are silkscreened on top of the poster paper. Some are peeling off (The "R" in "AFRAID") and some have been hand touched-up (see the "S" in "HE IS..."). There are some scratches on the poster to the left of ET. The edges of the gator board are worn with indentations, but is solid towards the poster. A valuable addition for any E.T. or vintage movie poster collection. It will display and frame well.

Here's the other:

This historical artifact was an initial design from B.D. Fox & Friends, produced in advance as a poster prototype, a work in progress. B.D. Fox worked closely with director Steven Speilberg, making many changes to the design before the final version of the poster was approved. The following notes are written in pencil in the white margin on top of the poster "HIS ADVENTURE ON EARTH - GOUDY". Goudy is a font type face. Ultimately this concept art was never released to the public as a theatrical poster.

This rare E.T. Concept Poster is in good condition, professionally mounted on 3/16" thick Gator Board (it is unknown if it is acid-free or not). Poster Dimensions: 25 3/16" X 38 15/16" (approx. 64.3 x 98.8 cm). Board Dimensions: 27" X 41" (approx. 68.6 x 101.1 cm). Board is dinged and very worn around all edges, especially at corners. All of the lettering, including the E.T. logo on the poster, are silkscreened on top of the poster paper. Some are peeling off (The "I" in "HIS") and some have been hand touched-up (see the "R" in "ADVENTURE"). There are smudges on the printed poster probably from the gluing process. There is a 1/4" scratch on lower left next to text. A valuable addition for any E.T. or vintage movie poster collection. It will display and frame well.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #192 on: December 18, 2010, 07:54:46 PM »
A set of 4 or 5 of those came up for sale maybe 4 years ago.  I think someone around here bought them.......at least, they were around MPF at the time.  I cant remember for sure if those were included, but I think they were, and I also think the whole set went for less than half of what they want for those.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 08:08:18 PM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

• Post-aholic
« Reply #193 on: December 18, 2010, 08:16:20 PM »
I'm pretty sure these came out of Collectors Bookstore and were in the auction held by profiles

-------

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #194 on: December 18, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
My recollection, which is hazy, is that the previous very cool lot contained around half a dozen smaller (maybe around 11 x 17) backed posters each with unique alternative annotated artwork - the price paid was around $800 - $900.  These two posters are almost one sheet size and may have been short-listed designs from that original batch.

Mark

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #195 on: December 18, 2010, 08:35:14 PM »
Sounds right Mark, but I am hazy as well.  I do remember the hullabaloo when they surfaced though.  I am sure a search over at MPF would turn up the info.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #196 on: December 19, 2010, 12:04:12 AM »
The ET concept posters were purchased on eBay over a year ago by Justin (spectredog).  I think the total amount for the lot was between $1500-$2000.

Here is his collection site, with the page containing the posters in question (and not mounted on a board, they are in great shape):

http://web.mac.com/jzackham/POsters/USA_%28D-F%29.html
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #197 on: January 22, 2011, 09:25:48 AM »
On the subject, there was an auction for what appeared to be concept art for The Lost Boys on ebay some time ago.  The image was drawn of Michael and Sam standing on the bridge with the vamps hanging upside down underneath.  It was awesome.  If anyone can find a picture I would really appreciate you posting it.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #198 on: January 22, 2011, 11:43:30 PM »
On the subject, there was an auction for what appeared to be concept art for The Lost Boys on ebay some time ago.  The image was drawn of Michael and Sam standing on the bridge with the vamps hanging upside down underneath.  It was awesome.  If anyone can find a picture I would really appreciate you posting it.

I tried to find some imagery but could only locate THE LOST BOYS, Style B one sheet. Very intense color along with the closeup of Sutherland and the other vamps hanging from the bridge above his portrait:

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #199 on: January 23, 2011, 12:00:41 AM »
I tried to find some imagery but could only locate THE LOST BOYS, Style B one sheet. Very intense color along with the closeup of Sutherland and the other vamps hanging from the bridge above his portrait:

Jeff

I've never seen this before was this an actual poster that was released?