Author Topic: Unicorns  (Read 250840 times)

guest8

Re: Unicorns
« Reply #150 on: August 17, 2010, 09:43:23 AM »
Wow .. that does suck .. i know how hard youve been looking for this piece and to have it within your grasp to be destroyed in shipment is a horrible lose :(

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #151 on: August 17, 2010, 09:51:42 AM »
No, I don't want to be too hard on the shipper/seller Originally it was "local pickup" only but I convinced them to ship it.  It was a huge pain to ship it internationally but they didn't follow my shipping instructions. I think they thought they were doing me a favor by shipping the entire frame, since it is a nice frame.

The only consolation is that it was dry-mounted, so it had no resale value.  But it was certainly valuable to me.  I'll definitely be getting the Aussie or US video as a replacement, although those are inferior - the Aussie has a big "MA":

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #152 on: August 17, 2010, 05:21:33 PM »
That does suck Mel....somehow though I have this feeling you will find another.

scartacus

« Reply #153 on: August 17, 2010, 05:29:41 PM »
I find this LA Confidential poster fascinating, not just because of the great art, but also the respective sizes accorded to the actors images due to their perceived bankability. At the time -- 1997 -- Kim Basinger was the biggest star, followed by Spacey, Guy Pearce and who's that insignificant, minor actor/dwarf lurking in the background?

Freefall

« Reply #154 on: August 17, 2010, 05:50:30 PM »
I find this LA Confidential poster fascinating, not just because of the great art, but also the respective sizes accorded to the actors images due to their perceived bankability. At the time -- 1997 -- Kim Basinger was the biggest star, followed by Spacey, Guy Pearce and who's that insignificant, minor actor/dwarf lurking in the background?

Actually, Kim Basinger's bankability around this time is suspect. She hasn't done anything substantial prior to this film and she just came off that major lawsuit from Boxing Helena and bankcruptcy. I think she was prominent on the poster because of her "appeal" to men which is the target demo for this particular film. Having her pose ala Veronica Lake with major cleavage showing does appeal to that particular crowd. ;-)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #155 on: August 17, 2010, 10:20:12 PM »
Don't forget that was the international poster - it was never used in US theaters.  The US version was very mediocre:

It made equal amounts in foreign and US box office.  ($60 million each)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #156 on: August 17, 2010, 10:32:55 PM »
I would almost bet the farm on this one, there are 2 domestic styles on LA Confidential. One with cast, one with reviews. I would have to box dive to confirm and I am sure there are others that follow the title closer than me.

Honestly, the difference between the "grail" version and the other; kind of boggles me and I have never really followed the poster much. Kind of like the watch version of Usual Suspects, big deal he has a watch on. I know rarity and such, but I dont really chase stuff just for rarity and when you have to look at something for a couple minutes to see the difference for major dollar difference, I just dont get it.

treegate

« Reply #157 on: August 18, 2010, 02:08:47 AM »
Wow, everyone has some great posters in their collections. All of you are much more serious collectors than myself, I doubt anything I have would be classified as a "unicorn" but for what it's worth, one of my latest posters is the Alamo Drafthouse "Iron Man 2" Stout Metal Variant, of which only 65 were produced, all with an etched signature and number by Stout himself. Those that follow the Alamo posters probably know the only place to get them initially was from Mondo in-store only in Austin Texas the night they re-opened after their extensive remodel. The poster looks incredible in-person, D&L Screenprinting based here in Seattle told me the paints they used were the same type used on construction signs so they are quite strong and durable. Also on the metal images that are out there, the poster isn't orange in color, all of the red's are deep red. I tried to post mine here but the file size was too big, so I used a stock image I pulled from the net on the off chance anyone hadn't seen it before.

treegate

« Reply #158 on: August 18, 2010, 02:13:06 AM »
Another poster that I had posted on the MPF before that I managed to obtain was for the "First Blood" 2008 Re-Release that was shown in select cities for one night-only and for one showing too. They used the same Drew Struzan artwork, but they did actually produce them double-sided. I have yet to see another one out there, I was told by the company the print-run was quite small, just enough for each theater to have one that was showing the film and a few extras for the company that organized the re-release.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #159 on: August 18, 2010, 02:29:31 AM »
Treegate, those are two really, really nice posters.
I have never seen that double-sided RAMBO and didn't even know it went into that sort of re-release.  Very cool stuff...Unicorns indeed.

treegate

« Reply #160 on: August 18, 2010, 02:41:12 AM »
Treegate, those are two really, really nice posters. I have never seen that double-sided RAMBO and didn't even know it went into that sort of re-release.  Very cool stuff...Unicorns indeed.

Thanks, yeah they held a one-night only re-release for First Blood I believe to coincide with the last Rambo film and also the DVD release of the First Blood films which as you can see was advertised on the poster. I am not sure how many cities actually got the film, I was told not many and yes, it was odd that it was just for one night and for only one time. The poster is a full 27x40 inches too and was only able to get one. The showing had an intro by Stallone and also the "suicide" ending for the first time. I figure if I ever meet Stallone again, it would be cool to have him sign it and Struzan too.

A "unicorn" I hope to post here someday is a "Reservoir Dogs" Cannes Film Festival one-sheet signed by QT himself. I was given it years ago as my Uncle and Aunt used to frequent Video Archives back when QT worked there as they lived (and still do) in the area, and their friends was friends with him. I met her during a visit down there in the early 2000's and she came over, knew I was a movie poster dealer/movie fan and gave it to me but I had to politely decline because I felt awkward accepting it, since it was signed to her. I saw it a few years ago again when I was down there, along with the standard U.S. one-sheet too. Not many people can say they have held a Cannes RD in their hands, let alone signed, but I had the pleasure. She said she had "a few more" but wasn't sure if she meant that specific poster or not. If I come into possession of them, I will post.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 03:08:13 AM by treegate »

Online kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #161 on: August 18, 2010, 03:02:11 AM »
Hey Jon, what does the Sundance poster look like??  I have seen the Cannes poster, but never one for Sundance.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

treegate

« Reply #162 on: August 18, 2010, 03:09:13 AM »
Hey Jon, what does the Sundance poster look like??  I have seen the Cannes poster, but never one for Sundance.

I wasn't thinking properly, the heat in Seattle does that to me. Yes, we do have heatwaves. I meant to say "Cannes" so I revised my post. Sorry about that.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #163 on: August 29, 2010, 09:24:12 PM »
how many of you have this poster

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #164 on: August 29, 2010, 09:29:22 PM »

Yup. Got if from Dale years ago.  A very cool one.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #165 on: August 29, 2010, 09:32:14 PM »
do you realize how rare this poster must be?
this movie showed in 15 theatres and grossed only $330k

of course, the A style totally sucks

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #166 on: August 29, 2010, 10:58:33 PM »
do you realize how rare this poster must be?
this movie showed in 15 theatres and grossed only $330k

of course, the A style totally sucks

I didn't until you listed it, but I bought it because it's an excellent poster.  Have you seen the movie?
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #167 on: August 29, 2010, 10:59:39 PM »
haven't seen the movie
poster kicks ass

-------

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #168 on: August 31, 2010, 10:31:54 PM »
The doc is excellent.  As a music fan, I found it incredibly interesting.  Of course, I was familiar with Daniel Johnston and his music, so I had that going for me.  Btw, sweet poster, Rich  thumbup
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 12:48:57 AM by Dr Hackenbush »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #169 on: September 01, 2010, 12:31:05 AM »
I didn't until you listed it, but I bought it because it's an excellent poster.  Have you seen the movie?

I thought that it was a semi-interesting film about a semi-interesting musician.  I liked the poster more than the film.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #170 on: September 03, 2010, 09:38:22 AM »

Are you selling this Rich?  If not, I've found another for sale at a reasonable price if anybody is after it.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #171 on: September 03, 2010, 03:21:06 PM »
no, that isn't for sale.. and it's DS
I'll bet the poster you can find for $44.99 is SS

-------

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #172 on: September 03, 2010, 05:48:04 PM »
no, that isn't for sale.. and it's DS
I'll bet the poster you can find for $44.99 is SS

Double sided eh? Kerching !

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #173 on: September 03, 2010, 08:24:31 PM »
Yeah, the one I have is double sided, and it was sent to replace one that I was first shipped by mistake that was single sided.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

• Post-aholic
« Reply #174 on: September 05, 2010, 12:19:18 AM »
another tough piece to come by

-------