Author Topic: Unicorns  (Read 252343 times)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: Unicorns
« Reply #400 on: June 25, 2013, 08:53:15 AM »
Thanks Charlie! 

Fooking awesome.

Jealous.   Very, very jealous.

--Peter

And thank you as well Peter.  I debated just sending the pictures to you directly as I figured you would appreciate this pick up more than most here :)

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #401 on: June 25, 2013, 09:02:20 AM »
I debated just sending the pictures to you directly as I figured you would appreciate this pick up more than most here :)

Commies...
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #402 on: June 25, 2013, 09:07:08 AM »
PS: I have some pics for both of you. Really. Good Stuff

And Matt, congrats on the poster  ;). Your skills to get rare stuff is intact.
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #403 on: June 25, 2013, 09:29:46 AM »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #404 on: June 25, 2013, 01:00:56 PM »
Wow, that's a stunner, Matt. I LOVE the color and design!   thumbup

Congrats on the pick-up!

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #405 on: June 25, 2013, 10:05:28 PM »
Congrats, Matt.
It sure is beautiful!
 cheers

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #406 on: June 29, 2013, 05:49:48 PM »
I've been looking for a first release since I started collecting and after 5 years figured it would be next to impossible to find.  The movie was a box-office bomb and it sat languishing in a storage vault until after the Cold War (the film has a really long and interesting history).  Even if people were collecting posters back then, this probably wouldn't be at the tops of their list to save.  It did have really cool art by a local painter, which may have helped it a bit.  Still, I doubted there were many, if any floating around for purchase.  Then of course I found one  :)

The original is (quite obviously) on the left.  It's printed on MUCH lower quality paper stock in terms of materials (acidic, tanned, fragile), but at the same time it had a nicer, heaftier feel.  The later printing is on paper probably not as thick as 2 pieces of cheap white printer paper.  I was told the reprint was done by the same communist-run national film distribution company that printed the original, probably sometime in the 80s.  Although looking at it closely again out of the frame, it looks like maybe 90s.  It's a nice screen print, but NOTHING like the original...

The original inks were oil-based, as can be seen by the heavy leaching on the back. They are not very good in terms of long term conservation of the paper, but damn are they pretty.  The two posters were placed directly centered under a ceiling light for my photos and you can see how it reflects easily off the later printing -- with hotter reflections in the upper center.  The original should show the mirror image of that reflection pattern, but the matte paper and inks just eat the light.  They colors have a beautiful saturation and intensity in person. 

And in terms of print quality I definitely prefer the original when I see them side-by-side.  Much more nuanced detail -- look at the lines on the face and the white ball with smaller red/black balls in it in the lower right.  If they did use the original screens to print this they just globbed on the black layer.  And the red isn't much better.  The inks were also printed in different orders -- the original put down yellow then red, while the later printing put down yellow then grey, and a much lighter grey at that. 

Anyway, it's a really well done screen print that an internet picture cannot do proper justice.  I'm so happy to have finally found one!  If anyone hasn't seen movie and you enjoy watching beautifully shot and technically-amazing filmmaking, then check it out.  It's a Soviet-Cuban joint production, so expect it to be propaganda-ish in terms of story.  But if you can suspend any biases you may have from the origins of the film, you will be richly rewarded.  It has one of the most incredible long shots in the history of cinema! 

"In another scene, the camera follows a flag over a body, held high on a stetcher, along a crowded street. Then it stops and slowly moves upwards for at least four storeys until it is filming the flagged body from above a building. Without stopping it then starts tracking sideways and enters through a window into a cigar factory, then goes straight towards a rear window where the cigar workers are watching the procession. The camera finally passes through the window and appears to float along over the middle of the street between the buildings. These shots were accomplished by the camera operator having the camera attached to his vest—like an early, crude version of a Steadicam—and the camera operator also wearing a vest with hooks on the back. An assembly line of technicians would hook and unhook the operator's vest to various pulleys and cables that spanned floors and building roof tops." From the Wikipedia Entry

Gorgeous poster Matt!
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #407 on: June 29, 2013, 11:44:11 PM »
Congrats Matt - love it when great people find great pieces for their collections
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #408 on: September 17, 2013, 12:00:19 AM »
As mentioned in another thread... a Unicorn, for sure.  :)   CALIGARI advance, 1919.

-Jeff

Capitol

« Reply #409 on: November 15, 2013, 01:43:21 PM »
Mine has to be the 'Tron' Thai poster. Been looking for a while, still no luck.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 01:44:04 PM by Capitol »

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #410 on: January 13, 2014, 11:49:10 AM »
hi there i came across this today while looking at old posts:

Apart from that, I think, apart from the other International onesheet for the Matrix, I have every poster ever printed (English), including what I might call another Unicorn, the Reloaded subway lenticular, which is freakin awesome.  Only problem is, I need a light box for it, and that's gonna be a huge custom job, because it's huge.

Is this the poster you are referring to or is it different?
Its a top tier lenticular that is for sure!  thanks for any info I collect lenticulars and am starved for any tidbits of knowledge I can manage to scrape up :)

oh and do you have the Credits only version of the holofoil? only 300 were made I hear?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 02:33:47 PM by erik1925 »

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #414 on: January 13, 2014, 05:07:35 PM »
It seems "only 40 were ever made avialable"

They were packed in test tubes?
David

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #415 on: January 13, 2014, 05:19:19 PM »
hi there i came across this today while looking at old posts:

Is this the poster you are referring to or is it different?
Its a top tier lenticular that is for sure!  thanks for any info I collect lenticulars and am starved for any tidbits of knowledge I can manage to scrape up :)

oh and do you have the Credits only version of the holofoil? only 300 were made I hear?

Thanks!

Just keep in mind that I own 295 of them  ;)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 02:34:24 PM by erik1925 »

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #416 on: January 13, 2014, 05:42:08 PM »

Just keep in mind that I own 295 of them  ;)
Is that so....
Well dang. Atleast I can always admire this one

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #417 on: January 13, 2014, 05:44:50 PM »
Good one. You know me though I do not own one matrix poster. I just don't understand all the hype with them.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #418 on: January 14, 2014, 02:29:54 PM »
That Superman posters is about as rare as they get, the only one harder to come by is the black and silver version poster for Superman Lives.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #419 on: January 15, 2014, 01:26:30 PM »
Worst Superman poster eva.

Not appealing to me, either. Being "rare" and beautious always dont go hand in hand, and this is certainly one example of that. IMO, style-wise, it is about as basic a poster advert, as one could come by.

But with only 40 printed.. rare, nonetheless.

-Jeff

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #420 on: January 15, 2014, 01:30:09 PM »
Ugly and not attractive. 40 of them or not I would not waste my money on it.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #421 on: January 15, 2014, 01:49:38 PM »
Ugly and not attractive. 40 of them or not I would not waste my money on it.

Me either.  ;)

-Jeff

guest8

« Reply #422 on: January 15, 2014, 02:13:44 PM »

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #423 on: January 15, 2014, 02:25:39 PM »
LOL that poster is almost just as ugly as she is.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #424 on: January 15, 2014, 03:05:30 PM »
Randy.. in some places, she's the hottest gal in the room.....

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------